Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AAF league

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, DraftMaster said:

Andrew's dad Oliver is the commish of McMahon's XFL. There are rumors the XFL will get more than half of their games on national TV. I'm intrigued to see how it works out for them...

Obviously, Vince McMahon has wrestling deals with the USA Network and now with FOX.

You could be right on them getting the new XFL on national TV. 

The XFL shouldn't go head-to-head with the AAF.

If they have the league in the spring, they can have franchises in 'cold weather' cities.

There is a large appetite for non-NFL pro football..There always has been

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:23 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

What will be interesting is what could happen with a high school player that doesn't want to go to college for whatever reason.  I could see the AAF becoming an option for that kid

A $75,000 job with health coverage is a worthy option for a 19 year old.

I don't know how many teenagers could play at this level but the league would be taking care of the young man and his family.

….Imagine this. A high school graduate who has excelled at more than one sport graduates in January of his senior year, signs with the AAF and tries pro football.

He then could still sign a college scholarship in basketball or baseball, right? , 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

And the players get $75,000 a year and health coverage?

…...AND a chance to showcase their game for the NFL the next year?.

..With 2 games a week on the NFL Network, that means the NFL is subsidizing this league, right?

..and what a blessing for the NFL Network.

I mean. How many times can you re-run 'A Football Life - Matt Hasselbeck"   or keep showing the 20 greatest games of 2018??

Agreed. The fact the NFL has its blessings and routinely is posting news about it on their own NFL website is huge. Big names in the business are helming it, including Hines Ward and Bill Polian. I like Kurt Warner also reporting on it.

It's marketed as a developmental league; NOT a direct competitor, which I think is huge because the AAF knows it can't compete with the NFL anyways.

Also, it's worth noting since the collapse of the original XFL, fantasy football has expanded a lot more, so that might give people a motivation to root for teams/players when money's involved.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

A $75,000 job with health coverage is a worthy option for a 19 year old.

I don't know how many teenagers could play at this level but the league would be taking care of the young man and his family.

I think they would have to be very exceptional to be able to play with these guys.  

I wonder if we could see players leave college to play in the AAF.    There are always a few players who transfer to another school for playing time.   maybe some may feel like making $70,000 is the better option.

9 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Trent Richardson ran for 91 yards and scored the winning touchdown against Salt Lake. He looks more fit and in shape now. 

I'd like to see more games for a bigger sample data. Richardson's expertise is brute raw strength, which is also why he did so well in college -- his opposition was undersized. Now we're placing Trent in a development league and suddenly we're surprised he's doing well? I'm not biting yet. You put me into a game with a bunch of old ladies and I can make myself look strong, too.

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I'd like to see more games for a bigger sample data. Richardson's expertise is brute raw strength, which is also why he did so well in college -- his opposition was undersized. Now we're placing Trent in a development league and suddenly we're surprised he's doing well? I'm not biting yet. You put me into a game with a bunch of old ladies and I can make myself look strong, too.

I don't know. Betty White looked pretty tough in that Snickers commercial.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Forecast looks rough. Tom Dundon (Carolina Hurricanes Owner) gave $250 million last week so that they could make payroll. Apparently the league needed 9 figures for it. 

And now hes going to become some kind of executive in the league. 

Typical for new leagues.   Having someone willing to invest $250 million may be a good sign. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Typical for new leagues.   Having someone willing to invest $250 million may be a good sign. 

Maybe. If they needed 9 figures to make weekly payroll that means that bought them, at most, two and a half weeks unless someone else wants to pony up, or the revenue stream picks up to sustain itself. 

That’s no chump change, and the pool of willing investors at that price is real tiny. 

The cost of operations versus income just doesn’t seem sustainable.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Maybe. If they needed 9 figures to make weekly payroll that means that bought them, at most, two and a half weeks unless someone else wants to pony up, or the revenue stream picks up to sustain itself. 

That’s no chump change, and the pool of willing investors at that price is real tiny. 

The cost of operations versus income just doesn’t seem sustainable.   

Having no commercial timeouts is hurting the AAF. The AAF isn't making money off of their TV deal. They have to start adding more commercials if they want to get more money.

• Like 1

I just don't get the whole developmental league thing. The NFL already has several "developmental leagues" -- like the SEC, Big-10, Pac-12, etc. Most of the players on these AAF teams are guys who played a few snaps here and there or hung around on a practice squad with an NFL team and didn't make it. So far, some of the games have been entertaining, but the quality of play, particularly at QB, just isn't all that good. Whatever it is, it still beats watching basketball.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I just don't get the whole developmental league thing. The NFL already has several "developmental leagues" -- like the SEC, Big-10, Pac-12, etc. Most of the players on these AAF teams are guys who played a few snaps here and there or hung around on a practice squad with an NFL team and didn't make it. So far, some of the games have been entertaining, but the quality of play, particularly at QB, just isn't all that good. Whatever it is, it still beats watching basketball.

The benefit of this league is that they may produce some NFL stars.    The style of play is the same as the NFL for the most part.   I don't think we'll see QB's start in the NFL, but O-line and D-line may end up starting in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I just don't get the whole developmental league thing. The NFL already has several "developmental leagues" -- like the SEC, Big-10, Pac-12, etc.

True, but something tells me Alabama isn't going to let Trent Richardson back into a uniform, so that's like comparing apples to oranges.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, T.Rich, did he get Lasik surgery or what???

If you're saying did they botch Lasik surgery, then I'd be inclined to agree. I don't know if black visor helmets are legal anymore, but if so, they should give him one. At this point, we may as well not hide it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 1:57 PM, John Waylon said:

I seen that.   Doesn't look good.   Bummer, I've liked having spring football.  I like the gameplay itself because it is the same as the NFL (minus the talent level).   Not gimmicky.   

I was hoping that the NFL would get on board and use the league to try out new rules.   Also could have been good to have refs get more practice.   

Something just does not make sense here. All this talk about needing an agreement to sign low-end NFL roster players just doesn’t make sense. It’s not like there is a shortage of players. That also wouldn’t make the talent on display measurably better. The only reason is makes sense that they would NEED those players would be if the teams loaning them would be paying their salary and the AAF would be getting them for free. 

Did Dundon really expect the NFL to jump on board and dive into that concept after less than 2 months?

Nothing makes sense here. This whole thing is starting to seem very fishy. There’s a lot going on here that we aren’t being told. 

Or Dundon is just a * who expected to earn a developmental designation from the league because he had money without putting the work into earing it. 

• Like 1