Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck doesn’t have to play hero anymore

I was listening to a radio show. I might of been the Dan Dakich show with Venturi I believe. I hope I spelled that right. They were talking about that pick six against the titans. How he is a veteran and that can’t happen.

He was mentioning that this is the first time Luck has had actual coaching by someone who knows what he is doing. Luck is so used to not having a o line and a defense so he always needed to play hero ball. That it might take time to teach luck that he has a defense now and a oline so he doesn’t need to make those bad decisions like that pick six. He doesn’t have to be the hero anymore.

What do you all think about this take on Luck.

• Like 2

i actually like Lucks quick thinking hero style esp for all those that remember the chiefs playoff game when brown fumbled and Luck grabbed it and jumped in. A none hero wouldn't have wanted to get involved with that fumble afraid of injury but Lucks a risk taker and i like that most about him

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was listening to a radio show. I might of been the Dan Dakich show with Venturi I believe. I hope I spelled that right. They were talking about that pick six against the titans. How he is a veteran and that can’t happen.

He was mentioning that this is the first time Luck has had actual coaching by someone who knows what he is doing. Luck is so used to not having a o line and a defense so he always needed to play hero ball. That it might take time to teach luck that he has a defense now and a oline so he doesn’t need to make those bad decisions like that pick six. He doesn’t have to be the hero anymore.

What do you all think about this take on Luck.

He definitely doesn't need to be the hero as much that's for sure.  Knowing though that even if the Colts are down 14-20+ points that he can help lead a monumental comeback is always nice.  The team overall is playing at a high level which is definitely something he hasn't really had which does help alleviate a bunch of pressure off him.  

Some of the games where Luck didn't play that well, I feel would've normally been 20+ point blowouts in past seasons are just that, a thing of the past.  The team is playing as a large cohesive unit, feeding off each other, that includes players and coaches alike.  That's what championship caliber teams are made of.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i actually like Lucks quick thinking hero style esp for all those that remember the chiefs playoff game when brown fumbled and Luck grabbed it and jumped in. A none hero wouldn't have wanted to get involved with that fumble afraid of injury but Lucks a risk taker and i like that most about him

Me too. Linebacker Luck was a blast. Hey, Nice Hit. What a hoot.
Watching guys run wide open ten yeard in front of him and be willing to "take that risk" and hold onto the ball for those low % deep balls. Great stuff. 
 Wham, Nice Hit. Great stuff!

:sarcasm:

• Like 1

I think the point they were making is he being up 14 and dominating that game it would of been alright to just punt. I don’t think they were singling out this one play. But he just has to learn when to be a hero and when it’s ok to let your great defense take over.

On that pick six he actually had a guy wide open behind the defender. It just was a bad throw.

28 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i actually like Lucks quick thinking hero style esp for all those that remember the chiefs playoff game when brown fumbled and Luck grabbed it and jumped in. Cam Newton wouldn't have wanted to get involved with that fumble afraid of injury but Lucks a risk taker and i like that most about him

Facts.

Most of his interceptions are either not his fault, (tipped balls) or the defense making a good play on the ball. Most of them. 

And then theres the other picks. The ugly, obvious, deer in the headlights rookie looking picks where you just throw your hands up and groan because it’s just that damn ugly. We’ve seen it in back to back weeks now. 

And every time he throws one you sit there and say “he’s got to know he can’t do that anymore. He is way too good to do that.” And then eventually we go through it again. 

I honestly don’t know if it’s something he’ll ever stop. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Most of his interceptions are either not his fault, (tipped balls) or the defense making a good play on the ball. Most of them. 

And then theres the other picks. The ugly, obvious, deer in the headlights rookie looking picks where you just throw your hands up and groan because it’s just that damn ugly. We’ve seen it in back to back weeks now. 

And every time he throws one you sit there and say “he’s got to know he can’t do that anymore. He is way too good to do that.” And then eventually we go through it again. 

I honestly don’t know if it’s something he’ll ever stop. 

We said the same thing about Peyton too, and just like Peyton, Luck shrugs it off and makes more plays than not to put us back into the driver's seat most of the time. 

No, I do not expect Luck to ever stop throwing INTs like that once every other game but I do expect him to overcome his mistakes and win more games as the years go on. However, winning HFA and bye weeks will boil down to that extra game or two that could have been lost with those INTs, let us hope that does not happen.

As far as the throw is concerned, it doesn’t matter if you’re playing Pop Warner, you don’t throw that ball. Just a bad play by Andrew.

Andrew still has to play hero though. Mack had a good season but I think our pass sets up our run and not the other way around like it should be. Once the running game is consistent, and we figure out what we’re doing with our CB’s, then Luck won’t need to be a hero.