Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Going to do some write ups over WR's in this class, which ones would you like?

Going to do some write ups over WR's in this class, which ones would you like?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Going to do some write ups over WR's in this class, which ones would you like?

• N'Keal Harry * 6'4 216
    • J.J. Arcega-Whiteside * 6'3 225
    • Collin Johnson * 6'5 220
    • Deebo Samuel * 6'0 208
    • Kelvin Harmon * 6'2 218
    • Parris Campbell * 6'0 205
    • A.J Brown * 6'1 225
    • D.K Metcalf * 6'4 230
    • other, explain in comments

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hakeem Butler seems like someone to add

He is easily a top 5 WR in this class, (IMHO)

6'6" and 4.4 ish speed (my guess from videos)

Thanks for doing this.....  The drafting process is a fun part of the Colts year

I will admit i am not well versed with this years talent as in years prior but i took some names off of walter footballs big list. From a little research it seems like butler may stay in school but i will definitely keep an eye out.

It will be a little more difficult this year trying too find film on players since draft breakdown is done, especially small school kids. But i am going to do what i can.

Marquise Brown - Oklahoma.  Cousin of Antonio Brown.  Is he more TY Hilton/Antonio Brown, or is he more Phillip Dorset?  Scouts say his route running improved this last off season as he worked out a lot with AB.

Jaylen Smith - Louisville.  Looks really smooth on film.  Production fell after Lamar Jackson left. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I will admit i am not well versed with this years talent as in years prior but i took some names off of walter footballs big list. From a little research it seems like butler may stay in school but i will definitely keep an eye out.

It will be a little more difficult this year trying too find film on players since draft breakdown is done, especially small school kids. But i am going to do what i can.

Nice Write ups on Hakeem Butler

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/09/16/hakeem-butler-and-the-art-of-big-boy-yac/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-mens/2018/11/09/whats-hakeem-butlers-nfl-draft-stock-we-asked-these-experts-iowa-state-gil-brandt/1919534002/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2018/11/05/college-football-anyone-better-than-hakeem-butler-iowa-state-cyclones-allen-lazard/1889576002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Marquise Brown - Oklahoma.  Cousin of Antonio Brown.  Is he more TY Hilton/Antonio Brown, or is he more Phillip Dorset?  Scouts say his route running improved this last off season as he worked out a lot with AB.

Jaylen Smith - Louisville.  Looks really smooth on film.  Production fell after Lamar Jackson left. 

i thought about brown, but being only 160 pounds is a really light frame for the nfl and i figure id post up players the colts would be interested in but ill for sure look into him a little bit but im not sure if ill do a full write up on him

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I want to know if David Sills of West Virginia can play inside and outside at the next level. 

I don't think there is a chance he is a number 1 or 2 in the NFL. He is pretty slow and I think to get him open he will have too be schemed open. I want to say he would be a good possession receiver but he has his share of drops. He could definitely play outside in the red zone and he could be a good weapon but i would see him as a #3 or #4 and i personally wouldn't take him until day 3. Love his size and he did have pretty good production with a questionable QB.

This guy, smaller school sleeper, Keelan Doss:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/keelan-doss-highlights-uc-davis-wr-2019-nfl-draft/vp-BBNQT1h

I first read about him on milehighreport.com - the Broncos' site and have been impressed. 

He might be a Daurice Fountain type of guy from the FCS, but he did put up 13 catches for 106 yards vs Stanford, Keelan Doss that is.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, twfish said:

i thought about brown, but being only 160 pounds is a really light frame for the nfl and i figure id post up players the colts would be interested in but ill for sure look into him a little bit but im not sure if ill do a full write up on him

Marquise started at 140 lbs then came into his junior year weighing 168.  I guarantee he comes into the combine at 185 (same weight as Antonio Brown).  He will blow up the combine and start to get first round consideration.  I am not saying he will be the number one receiver on the Colt's board, but i would question any GM that wouldn't give him serious consideration considering his production, speed, blood lines, and workout partner.  I think he is everything we wanted Phillip Dorset to be.

Please consider adding Devon Mitchell of Oregon.   And Campbell of Ohio State.

Late add:   Dezmon Patmon of Washington State. 

I couldn’t help but notice you’ve got mostly first round possibilities.   I don’t mean to be a broken record,  but I believe there is almost a zero percent chance of the Colts using their first round pick on a wide receiver.   It’s possible, but highly unlikely.

That said...   really appreciate you doing this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bhougland said:

Marquise started at 140 lbs then came into his junior year weighing 168.  I guarantee he comes into the combine at 185 (same weight as Antonio Brown).  He will blow up the combine and start to get first round consideration.  I am not saying he will be the number one receiver on the Colt's board, but i would question any GM that wouldn't give him serious consideration considering his production, speed, blood lines, and workout partner.  I think he is everything we wanted Phillip Dorset to be.

I think there’s slmost a zero percent chance Brown shows up to the Combine at 185.    A guy that small can’t out on that much weight that fast.   Huge mistake.

Likely 170.    Maybe 175.   No shot at 185.    Someday he may weigh 185.   Someday.    But that day is likely a year or two away.    Brown’s strength is his speed.   He doesn’t want to give that up for the Combine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I couldn’t help but notice you’ve got mostly first round possibilities.   I don’t mean to be a broken record,  but I believe there is almost a zero percent chance of the Colts using their first round pick on a wide receiver.   It’s possible, but highly unlikely.

I started out with some of the bigger names, a few will be gone by the time our first pick comes along and there will be some around for our first second rounder, I am not nearly as versed with players at this point this year as i was last year so adding names definitely does help. I do agree with us not getting a first round WR, however if A.J Brown did fall far enough i would be all over him, the kid is going too be a stud

10 minutes ago, twfish said:

I started out with some of the bigger names, a few will be gone by the time our first pick comes along and there will be some around for our first second rounder, I am not nearly as versed with players at this point this year as i was last year so adding names definitely does help. I do agree with us not getting a first round WR, however if A.J Brown did fall far enough i would be all over him, the kid is going too be a stud

Late correction...    I think Devonitchell is actually Dillon Mitchell.   Either way, the kid plays for Oregon!

Thanks again.        :thmup:

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Late correction...    I think Devonitchell is actually Dillon Mitchell.   Either way, the kid plays for Oregon!

Thanks again.        :thmup:

He's pretty good. Great route runner. Knows hot to get open. Is he declaring for the draft? 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I tend to agree with this assessment. Ballard is far more likely to value a front 7 guy for the D than a WR at that spot, especially with the amazing depth at D-line in the '19 draft. Begin looking at the WR position with the Colts' 2nd round pick Ballard fleeced from the Jets. There should be great talent still available at that point. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

My 2 favorites this year were Kelvin Harmon and Andy Isabella. I did watch Hakeem Butler in his bowl game last night and goodness gracious that dude is a freak.

What do you see in Kelvin Harmon? A lot of draftniks whose opinion I really respect like him(as a 1st rounder) and I don't see the appeal(at least not as high as he's being hyped). For example I think Hakeem Butler is SO MUCH better than him in all of the things Harmon is supposed to be good at(contested catches, hands, tracking the ball, YAC, etc) and at least as good at the things I don't see Harmon being great at(route running, separation)...

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's pretty good. Great route runner. Knows hot to get open. Is he declaring for the draft? 

I don’t think he’s declared — yet.

Byt he’s a junior so he can declare.   I’m exoecting it sometime before the deadline.    Could he return to school like Mitchell?   Sure, I suppose it’s possible.    But I don’t think it’s likely.   The vast majority of Oregon athletes are not known for being academically inclined.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Byt he’s a junior so he can declare.   I’m exoecting it sometime before the deadline.    Could he return to school like Mitchell?   Sure, I suppose it’s possible.    But I don’t think it’s likely.   The vast majority of Oregon athletes are not known for being academically inclined.

I wonder if Herbert returning will affect his decision. They had great chemistry this year. I guess a good bit of it will depend on what grade he gets from the advisory committee. I wonder how high teams have him. I have heard close to zero discussion about him on draft podcasts and forums so... I don't know. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

What do you see in Kelvin Harmon? A lot of draftniks whose opinion I really respect like him(as a 1st rounder) and I don't see the appeal(at least not as high as he's being hyped). For example I think Hakeem Butler is SO MUCH better than him in all of the things Harmon is supposed to be good at(contested catches, hands, tracking the ball, YAC, etc) and at least as good at the things I don't see Harmon being great at(route running, separation)...

I think Harmon is the best contested catch guy in the draft. Has great hands and I like his size/strength combo.

My first exposure to Butler was last night and I liked what I saw. I think Harmon is a bit more physical and may have better short area quickness but probably not the long speed of Butler.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 8:30 PM, bhougland said:

After watching some more games of his, i think he is more Phillip Dorsett than a young TY at this point.  For a small, fast player, I think i like Andy Isabella at this point.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 10:23 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Actually with us winning and being in the playoffs, our possibility of drafting a WR went up. Our pick is going to be somewhere between 21 and 32. That’s basically an early 2nd round pick. All of the elite defensive talent will most likely be gone. WR in the 1st is a possibility.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Actually with us winning and being in the playoffs, our possibility of drafting a WR went up. Our pick is going to be somewhere between 21 and 32. That’s basically an early 2nd round pick. All of the elite defensive talent will most likely be gone. WR in the 1st is a possibility.

Or a defensive end like Montez Sweat is in the right striking distance??? Good rotational 3-techniques like Jerry Tillery might still be there. This is also a great chance to gain picks from a team at the top of round 2 wanting to get back into bottom of round 1 for a QB like Drew Lock???

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Or a defensive end like Montez Sweat is in the right striking distance??? Good rotational 3-techniques like Jerry Tillery might still be there. This is also a great chance to gain picks from a team at the top of round 2 wanting to get back into bottom of round 1 for a QB like Drew Lock???

Sweat hasn’t impressed me and the staff at TDN has said the same. I don’t think he’s a high level edge rusher at the next level. Dalton Risner handled him easily when they faced.

Tillery is now a day 2 guy for me. Aside from blocking an extra point, he did absolutely nothing against Clemson. I was high on Wilkins but he also struggled to do anything vs Notre Dame with Lawrence out. He’s a day 2 guy as well. From 20-32 I like the WRs like Harry, Metcalf, etc... Maybe Raekwon Davis to play NT or a CB 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sweat hasn’t impressed me and the staff at TDN has said the same. I don’t think he’s a high level edge rusher at the next level. Dalton Risner handled him easily when they faced.

Tillery is now a day 2 guy for me. Aside from blocking an extra point, he did absolutely nothing against Clemson. I was high on Wilkins but he also struggled to do anything vs Notre Dame with Lawrence out. He’s a day 2 guy as well. From 20-32 I like the WRs like Harry, Metcalf, etc... Maybe Raekwon Davis to play NT or a CB 

Oh, if Raekwon Davis is there, no doubt in my mind. This is obviously an assumption that he will not be there. But yes, the value on WRs definitely goes up at the end of round 1. 

On 12/29/2018 at 7:59 PM, NewColtsFan said:

He's in! One more WR I like in this draft... 

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 12:58 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Of course anything can happen

There should be some very, very good, starting and contributing at a high level,  DL players available when we pick even in round two.

The draft is that deep at the position. Talent for DL, in normal years that would go for mid round 1 picks, will be available in mid round 2.

IMHO, we can pick up some amazing WR talent in round 2 or 3. 

The top three receivers I would like to read about are below in order.

Lil' Jordan Humphrey he is 6'4" 225lbs

DK Metcalf

DeMarkus Lodge he is 6'2" 204lbs. 

If you are doing a D-lineman I would like Derrick Brown or the entire Clemson D-line. That line is very good and they are hard for me to get a grasp on individually.

• 3 weeks later...