Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Two Favorite Post-Draft Quotes from the "Experts"

Archer

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I personally loved Nelson, and I liked our day 2 picks as players, I just thought they were mostly 3rd round talent drafted in the 2nd round. Maybe Ballard had to take them in those spots or they would of went. He had more info in that regard. Just glad we got Leonard, Smith, Turay, and Lewis where we did.

:scratch:

I'm on record wanting Nelson at 3 long before even draft time. Barkley is looking like a complete stud but I'm still taking Nelson over him. While he's not the name and the flash the line gets everything going. The pass game, the run game. I wanted him over Chubb because Luck is our most important player. Time to protect him and actually build those dang lines that's been mentioned for years. Still love the pick.

• Like 1

My post draft analysis thread:

https://forums.colts.com/topic/58209-supes-2018-draft-analysis/

Dead wrong on my Leonard grade, which was more about value than the player; I liked the player. Still, I said it was a big reach, and there were better players on the board. Hard to defend that stance now, with Leonard playing like a star.

I'll stand by the rest of it, for now.

On 12/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Posters didn’t like Nelson at pick 6.

Pisters didn’t like Leonard at 36.   Or Smith at 37.    Or Turay at 52.    Or Lewis at 64.

There we’re lots and lots of unhappy posters for quite some time...   

And even NOW, with the benefit of hindsight, and knowing that the draft was a home run,  I see posts complaining about Cain and Fountain.   A number of posters are quite convinced they know better than Ballard....

THIS.  I liked the Nelson.  Mad we missed out on Chubb who got picked earlier but was happy with Nelson.  I didn't know who anyone was in the 2nd round but was happy with the position picks.

But yea I remember, majority of this board had wrote Ballard off.

• Thanks 1

I do not understand any criticism for the Nelson draft pick. After years of Andrew Luck getting his brains bashed in, any pick other than an OL, would have been negligent behavior. I also don't understand pundits stating good Guards are found later in the draft. Grigson tried to find lineman in the middle rounds, and failed. Definition of insanity, same thing over and over again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I do not understand any criticism for the Nelson draft pick. After years of Andrew Luck getting his brains bashed in, any pick other than an OL, would have been negligent behavior. I also don't understand pundits stating good Guards are found later in the draft. Grigson tried to find lineman in the middle rounds, and failed. Definition of insanity, same thing over and over again. 

Nelson was the only choice for this team.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Superman said:

Dead wrong on my Leonard grade, which was more about value than the player; I liked the player. Still, I said it was a big reach, and there were better players on the board. Hard to defend that stance now, with Leonard playing like a star.

Ill ride that horse….

I wasnt high on Leonard, either..and same  thing: Not a second rounder.

I'm still shocked at how well he's played so quickly

Edited by oldunclemark

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:01 AM, NewEra said:

I'm on record wanting Nelson at 3 long before even draft time. Barkley is looking like a complete stud but I'm still taking Nelson over him. While he's not the name and the flash the line gets everything going. The pass game, the run game. I wanted him over Chubb because Luck is our most important player. Time to protect him and actually build those dang lines that's been mentioned for years. Still love the pick.

I'd have taken Barkley over Nelson..and I still would

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

barkley is too good to pass on.  him and luck would be amazing together 

the giants got it right, and the jets should have just stayed put in the draft and taken whatever QB was still there.  i think jackson would have been interesting for them 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 5:31 PM, BOTT said:

Meh, Bill Polian is a legend and he preferred RG3 over Luck.

Forum legend BOTT has been wrong on every pass rusher for 3 years.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:49 PM, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   I'm not sure that's correct

I can see where it was thought that.  Tony Dungy hinted Polian was leaning ot RGIII at that time.  Bill, however, has a slightly different take-

"It's interesting, I said to Jim Irsay just two day days before I got let go, I've done all the work on the top quarterbacks, RG and Andrew. {he had also scouted Tannehill too} My son Chris had joined me and he'd done the same amount work. Tom Telesco wasn't in the building, but, you know, all three of us had seen both at great length. I said, whatever happens tomorrow, we're golden because we're going to get one of the two. They're both can't miss. And if we end up with the first pick, make it your choice. I don't care. Both of them are gonna be great. Pending something we find out [at the Combine] a physical in a physical exam, or some special thing that comes about that we don't know about now. But, if you're judging just based on scouting, you can't miss on either one.  Jim Irsay said, I would rather take Andrew because RG is a running quarterback and he's likely to get hurt. Jim knows football, and understood it."

So Bill says either, but agrees with Irsay that RGIII is a higher risk because of the running aspect. And before Peyton was released, folks (like Jamele Hill of ESPN at the time) was pushing RGIII.

Irsay was always for Luck, over Polian and before Grigson.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/4/19/2960858/bill-polian-jim-irsay-preferred-andrew-luck-to-robert-griffin-iii

31 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

18 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the giants got it right, and the jets should have just stayed put in the draft and taken whatever QB was still there.  i think jackson would have been interesting for them 

I remember the furor on here of Dorsey taking Mayfield (instead of Darnold) and the Giants taking Barkley (instead of Darnold).  It was like two of the biggest draft day debacles ever at lots #1 and #2 had been committed.  But so far, it has been solid choices for them both. And Darnold could well end the Jets QB issues if he can continue to develop.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I remember the furor on here of Dorsey taking Mayfield (instead of Darnold) and the Giants taking Barkley (instead of Darnold).  It was like two of the biggest draft day debacles ever at lots #1 and #2 had been committed.  But so far, it has been solid choices for them both. And Darnold could well end the Jets QB issues if he can continue to develop.

i wasnt sold on mayfield, but it was obvious to me that barkley was going to be good.  

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

We'll never know because we never had the chance. But I'd rather protect Luck than get a fb who would be able to run behind the lines we've been putting out there. 

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

And to think the Browns could have had Barkley & Mayfield on their team, Hide sight! Turns out that would have more wins for the Browns this year. 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, Superman said:

You do a really nice job man, you can't post stuff and expect to always be right or have everyone agree.  I so appreciate the folks on here, like you, who post well-thought thorough analysis, even if I don't always agree.  I search for smart takes.  I'd much rather come to this forum and find out what some sharp Colts fans think about our team than anything I find in the national media.  Truth is, large in part, national media simply don't follow Indy, so their analysis is largely uninformed.  Anyway, I appreciate the work you do here, thank you!

PS. It's ok to be wrong on Leonard, you had an opinion...keep putting content out there! I stick to my B+ grade of your analysis ;)  HAHA!

• Like 1