Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck runs out of Bounds

Knuckles79

23 minutes ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

Luck probably could've scored but at what cost. I myself was so happy to see him avoid the contact. The commentator acted like he should've went for the score. Has that guy been living in the closet the past two years. 

I was impressed he step out considering we were blowing the Bills out. Andrew was very smart on that play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

No need to potentially get hurt. Smart move.

I also get why he was a bit lazy/timid on that safety. That had Drew Brees injury written all over it.

I guess I'll be the lone wolf on this one.  He ran after the ball and then didn't make any kind of move once he got there.  Either try to cover it up or get the heck out of the way.  He almost got his ankles rolled.  I thought it was a bad play on his part, but luckily it turned out okay.  Not THAT big a deal in the bigger picture.

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I guess I'll be the lone wolf on this one.  He ran after the ball and then didn't make any kind of move once he got there.  Either try to cover it up or get the heck out of the way.  He almost got his ankles rolled.  I thought it was a bad play on his part, but luckily it turned out okay.  Not THAT big a deal in the bigger picture.

I agree with you. I thought it was lazy on his part.

I just don't know if it was lazy or a bit scared which I could understand. 

I also thought run and kick it man, don't recover it, you could get crushed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IinD said:

Completely forgot about that option, and it makes the most sense.  :thmup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Wouldn't that be a penalty? You can't knock it out your own end zone 

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Wouldn't that be a penalty? You can't knock it out your own end zone 

I honestly thought you can. I'm not positive though. 

I know guys hit it out obviously. 

Not sure how they penalize you though? Automatic td for the other team??

I honestly don't know..

24 minutes ago, IinD said:

I honestly thought you can. I'm not positive though. 

I know guys hit it out obviously. 

Not sure how they penalize you though? Automatic td for the other team??

I honestly don't know..

nvm  I was thinking of a completely different situation (if the defense knocks a live ball out their OWN end zone).

I believe if Luck had knocked it out it would have been fine. 

• Like 1

We saw how fearless this man was. He never hesitated to get the hit.

We saw how depressed he was when he was not able to play, and thought he might not be able to play at all, in a recent interview.

From everything I learned for years about Andrew, I just have no doubt that he would take the hit and score if it was a close game. And this play reminded me again this man is a responsible person who once worried he might not be able to play anymore. He is not a robot but a person with emotions, thoughts, passions, worries... 

As far as I'm aware you are indeed allowed to kick or hit the ball out of your own endzone to take an intentional safety.  The only example I can think of is in the 2003 AFCCG when Hunter Smith had a longsnap sail way over his head and he kicked it out of the EZ to prevent a TD.

The Colts took an intentional safety against the Dolphins in 1999 to take some time off the clock - Manning just ran backwards.

There was a game in I think 1996 where at the end of the game Neil O'Donnell took the ball and THREW it backwards!  It became one of my friends' favorite plays of all time!

16 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

As far as I'm aware you are indeed allowed to kick or hit the ball out of your own endzone to take an intentional safety.  The only example I can think of is in the 2003 AFCCG when Hunter Smith had a longsnap sail way over his head and he kicked it out of the EZ to prevent a TD.

The Colts took an intentional safety against the Dolphins in 1999 to take some time off the clock - Manning just ran backwards.

There was a game in I think 1996 where at the end of the game Neil O'Donnell took the ball and THREW it backwards!  It became one of my friends' favorite plays of all time!

Ahh...Hunter the Punter.

Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman's ultimate fail vs the Redskins (also a good play by them) in 1 of the best late season regular season games of all time. So glad I was sat down in front of the TV by my folks that day. That was 1 of the games that really put NFL football in my veins.

As for the Colts, keep playing. The AFC's best hope against the Pats is a team they just beat, who I will not bet on if they're up by 50 at halftime in a playoff game. And a couple of teams who 1 tied and the other lost to the Browns (and lost on a missed extra point today). So the Colts definitely kinda have a chance lol!

Didn't see the game because it wasn't televised here.  But I was watching SNF last night and after Pat Mahomes ran for a first down the commentator said that once he got the first down everyone in the stadium yelled "SLIDE!"

Pretty dumb for him to think a franchise QB should risk their body like that in a blowout.  

On the safety, I don't think Luck realized the guy was right behind him.

On a side note, the radio guys were clueless on this play (guess it was Taylor and Sorgi)

1. They said Luck wasn't ready for the snap. I figured it was one of those instances where the QB is looking left or right and calling signals. It wasn't. From the replay Luck was staring right at Kelly's butt with his hands in receiving position. It looked like he simply misjudged the pace and height of the snap.

2. Then they said Luck made a heads up play to knock the ball out of the end zone. The defender dove and knocked the ball out. Luck had nothing to do with it. 

I know none of this is a big deal, but it would be nice to get an accurate account of what is happening in the game.