Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard Honored

Barry Sears

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Great news, thoroughly deserved. Thought he was a good pick, but never saw him being this good, but did anyone really. Also, well done to Ballard for seeing it. 

actually, several on here kind of did... Go back and read some of the comments, there are a LOT who should be eating crow right now.  I pasted a few of my favorite comments.

• Like 1

I knew about Leonard before we picked him. My best friend is from South Carolina, and he saw Leonard play multiple times before he entered the draft. His friend knows him personally as well. I knew he was dominant in college in a small school, and would get a ton of opportunities as a LB on our defense, but I didn't know he would break out this quickly. 

He's amazing, and deserves the award.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:33 PM, Calmack said:

Leonard pick is good. Smith is highly questionable. I wanted Guice or Jackson. 

On 4/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, JColts72 said:

No..must fall in company line like big brother..no disagreements...yeah right.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, shastamasta said:

A * day 3 LB and another G...just wow.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:32 PM, ColtsAC said:

Ballard loves to show he is smarter than everyone else...ala Grigson.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, austriancolt said:

Leonard is a great pick you will like it. Don't like the Smith pick with James Daniels, Harold Landry, Josh Jackson still on the board.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, Mr.Debonair said:

Cmon people you can’t question the almighty Chris Ballard

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, CR91 said:

Love the leonard pick. Had him on my mock, but why another G? I guess we're not sure about mewhort's knee

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Love the Leonard pick. Smith pick was puzzling but hes a darn good player.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, Colt Overseas said:

Good players but i feel we reached slightly as i think both would have been there at 49th overall.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, lance_m8 said:

I am all for protecting luck but taking landry or guice or Jackson there would've been better than smith

On 4/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, bravo4460 said:

Yikes.  Going for need I guess. Ballard I thought was a best player available guy.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, colts89 said:

easily

On 4/27/2018 at 7:30 PM, SteelDragon said:

Kind of a reach on both picks. Could have been had later?

On 4/27/2018 at 7:29 PM, danlhart87 said:

I'm unfamiliar with Braden but Leonard was good pick 

On 4/27/2018 at 7:29 PM, JColts72 said:

Very bad, better players on board for d and line.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:29 PM, MarquisJ said:

I thought there was way better talent available looks more like a reach for need rather then BPA imo

On 4/27/2018 at 7:28 PM, colts89 said:

bad

On 4/27/2018 at 7:27 PM, bananabucket said:

So much better talent available.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

@csmopar My post about not questioning Ballard is included here because? Did I say dude was a bum? Did I say this was a bad pick? Actually did I say anything about Leonard at all

i said i was posting a few of my favorites, yours was one of them. Congratulations, you made the cut. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

@csmopar My post about not questioning Ballard is included here because? Did I say dude was a bum? Did I say this was a bad pick? Actually did I say anything about Leonard at all

No, but you're always playing the victim.  "Duh, can't say anything bad or else....tee hee hee."  Grow up.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I’m not on here to argue with folk, but there is definite sarcasm in that post that he’s quoted of yours, so which player/players were you referring to?

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not on here to argue with folk, but there is definite sarcasm in that post that he’s quoted of yours, so which player/players were you referring to?

No player in particular. My sarcasm was directed at the fact that any time someone voiced disagreement with Ballard, they get blasted for it. Especially coming off the Free Agency period where he made very few moves, which I didn’t agree with. It’s like if you don’t blindly have faith in every move he makes then you’re not a true fan or something. People who agree with Ballard make it seem like they are more of a fan than those who question certain moves.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

No player in particular. My sarcasm was directed at the fact that any time someone voiced disagreement with Ballard, they get blasted for it. Especially coming off the Free Agency period where he made very few moves, which I didn’t agree with. It’s like if you don’t blindly have faith in every move he makes then you’re not a true fan or something. People who agree with Ballard make it seem like they are more of a fan than those who question certain moves.

And you do this all the time.  Hence, playing the victim.

Well deserved. And he's doing this after he missed almost all of the off-season. The really exciting thing is... he still has room for improvement and can be even more impactful with more experience and one more off-season of training in an NFL weight program. Just look at how much better Walker looks this year than he did last year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ok, cheers for the clarity. I have to admit that I’ve been pretty happy with Ballard so far, even like the latest Williams pick up. Not saying you, as I’m pretty new on here and not sussed everyone out yet, but some people are too quick to judge folk in sport in general. You have to give guys time to get everyone on board with their vision going forward.

Wasn't Bradley Chubb supposed to have been the best defensive player in the draft?  Hmmm...his output through Week 4:

Games: 4

Games started: 4

Total tackles: 10

Total sacks: 1.5

Forced fumbles: 0

Fumbles recovered: 0

That's a nice first half of one game for Leonard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question.

Is it that you do not like Ballard's philosophy towards Free Agency?  Or that he stuck to his philosophy?

No bashing from me. Just curious.  Everyone has the right to an opinion on how a team is ran. It's a free country.  But if you don't like his philosophy of building homegrown long term, then you're going to be disliking every Free Agency Ballard's part of.

i originally said i wanst sold on him, then later in the off season i came around a little but was mildly worried about him missing time with injuries 

i dont know if ill eat crow for that, but im glad hes working out.  no one is even close in the droy discussion 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Ok, cheers for the clarity. I have to admit that I’ve been pretty happy with Ballard so far, even like the latest Williams pick up. Not saying you, as I’m pretty new on here and not sussed everyone out yet, but some people are too quick to judge folk in sport in general. You have to give guys time to get everyone on board with their vision going forward.

Ballard and has done some nice things and some that I still question. I am A fan so I am going to stick by regardless and how this thing gets turned around sooner than later

1 minute ago, HarryTheCat said:

Wasn't Bradley Chubb supposed to have been the best defensive player in the draft?  Hmmm...his output through Week 4:

cant really compare stats from will linebacker and a 3-4 olb.  the will should have more tackles every time.  leonards sacks have been impressive, but hes been unblocked on blitzes using great speed to close the gap

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I know right?!

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I have a question.

Is it that you do not like Ballard's philosophy towards Free Agency?  Or that he stuck to his philosophy?

No bashing from me. Just curious.  Everyone has the right to an opinion on how a team is ran. It's a free country.  But if you don't like his philosophy of building homegrown long term, then you're going to be disliking every Free Agency Ballard's part of.

I would say it may be a mixture of both. I understand building thru the draft and not blowing all your money on Free Agency. However, I feel like free agency can help stop the bleeding. When you have the amount of money we had, I don’t think we had to be as devoid of talent as we are right now. So I feel like one needs to be flexible. It shouldn’t  be penny pinching/bargain shoppping and it shouldn’t be blowing the budget. Hope that makes sense

I would say it may be a mixture of both. I understand building thru the draft and not blowing all your money on Free Agency. However, I feel like free agency can help stop the bleeding. When you have the amount of money we had, I don’t think we had to be as devoid of talent as we are right now. So I feel like one needs to be flexible. It shouldn’t  be penny pinching/bargain shoppping and it shouldn’t be blowing the budget. Hope that makes sense

I get where you and others come from on this.  But this is how i think on it.  How many times have not just we, but other teams across the league, Have to let go of good/great players because they have their cap money spent, and just either don't want to, or can't resign their own players? That is where these players come from in FA obviously.  I believe Frank's philosophy allows him to keep his Cap room so when it is time to resign his players, he has that $$ to ensure we are able to keep them.  It is always better to keep a good/great player that you drafted, than fill a spot with a good/great player that came from a different team. whom you really don't know that much about other than his on the field numbers.  You don't have the luxury of having them in your house all those years prior to know his lockers room presence, work ethic, and away from the game lifestyle, nearly as well as you would if you already have them in house.  Plus, there is no guarantee a F.A. plays the same for you as they did on a different team.  Scheme, personel beside them, coaching. Many things can dictate whether a player excels or not.  So many F.A. signings have tanked for their new team, after having stellar careers on their previous team.  For every Reggie White, there is an Albert Hanesworth, and every Charles woodson, there is a Nnamdi Asomugha.

I get your thought process however.  I just think it is much better to get lower budget players who can play rolls in F.A. rather than throw serious $$ on a player that may or may not perform how you think they might. Not when you can throw that money at someone whom already has performed for you.  Granted,...for that to happen, you have to hit fairly regularly in the draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I get where you and others come from on this.  But this is how i think on it.  How many times have not just we, but other teams across the league, Have to let go of good/great players because they have their cap money spent, and just either don't want to, or can't resign their own players? That is where these players come from in FA obviously.  I believe Frank's philosophy allows him to keep his Cap room so when it is time to resign his players, he has that $$ to ensure we are able to keep them.  It is always better to keep a good/great player that you drafted, than fill a spot with a good/great player that came from a different team. whom you really don't know that much about other than his on the field numbers.  You don't have the luxury of having them in your house all those years prior to know his lockers room presence, work ethic, and away from the game lifestyle, nearly as well as you would if you already have them in house.  Plus, there is no guarantee a F.A. plays the same for you as they did on a different team.  Scheme, personel beside them, coaching. Many things can dictate whether a player excels or not.  So many F.A. signings have tanked for their new team, after having stellar careers on their previous team.  For every Reggie White, there is an Albert Hanesworth, and every Charles woodson, there is a Nnamdi Asomugha.

I get your thought process however.  I just think it is much better to get lower budget players who can play rolls in F.A. rather than throw serious $$ on a player that may or may not perform how you think they might. Not when you can throw that money at someone whom already has performed for you.  Granted,...for that to happen, you have to hit fairly regularly in the draft.

You're correct. There are pros and cons to both for sure. I don't think there is a right or wrong way and nothing is 100%. Which is why there will always be disagreements. But back to the topic at hand!!

Congrats to Leonard, I hope he continues to tear it up. Kudos to Ballard for hitting it on the head with this pick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s funny reading the comments on the NFL’s post about it on Instagram. People are crying that Derwin James was robbed. Leonard is leading the entire league in tackles though.

Why is that funny? James has been playing out of his mind. Many have him as the best rookie thus far...and for what it's worth, PFF also has him graded the highest rookie as well.

Both James and Leonard were deserving. I think it could have gone either way. But Leonard has stuffed the stat sheet...and won (deservedly so).

12 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I rarely comment on draft picks, as I don't watch college football and therefore don't have the knowledge to contribute. Also, if you do make your opinions known and get it wrong, some smartie pants will find what you said, humiliate you and infer you are a buffoon.

wasn't my intention.

I've only ever truly blasted a draft pick twice, Dorsett and Green. only because they were taken several rounds higher than they should have been.

I’ll admit it and I’ll eat crow.

I was mistaken. Glad others were right though. He’s been a stud so far!

However it’s only been 4 games. Whether good or bad you can’t judge after 4 games. Opposing teams can start game planning and he has to stay available.