Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Wilkins

MikeCurtis

One of the draft picks I am really anxious to see is Jordan Wilkins

He seems to have great patience and keeps his head up field to see open holes.

He has an immediate speed gear once he sees the opening

6.5 YPC in the tough SEC, is also an indicator of what he can do

He also comes out of college without the mileage of some of the other college RBs. (279 total college carries, vs 600 plus)

out of some of the other top college RBs that have come out the past few years)

I like Mack and Hines, and think they will rotate, but think he gets the nod to start

Thoughts?

(Did I mention I hate our depth at LB........  :) )

• Like 4

The only issue I see is that’s three RBs with relatively little to no experience for the first four games.  Until we see the two rookies in the preseason we don’t know how good their pass pro is, right?  Mack’s wasn’t exactly stellar but he should improve.  

Don’t sleep on Michael, he has the size and experience. Now if he can only show durability, he could be the day 1 starter. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The only issue I see is that’s three RBs with relatively little to no experience for the first four games.  Until we see the two rookies in the preseason we don’t know how good their pass pro is, right?  Mack’s wasn’t exactly stellar but he should improve.  

Don’t sleep on Michael, he has the size and experience. Now if he can only show durability, he could be the day 1 starter. 

The RB postion seems to be an area where rookies can contribute quicker in the pro game

I need to study up on Michael

I think he could possibly make someone like Turban expendable. The Colts won’t be a carbon copy of the Eagles, but Philly did have success with multiple backs of varying styles last season.

Sproles: The undersized all purpose “offensive weapon” who can hurt you in multiple ways. His role on the Colts would be played by Hines.

Blount: The big bruiser back that runs between the tackles and gets the dirty yards. His role would be played by Wilkins

Mack probably fills the roles that Kenjon Barner and Smallwood played as quick backs who can get to the outside quick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

He’s got that jump step that reminds me (a little) of Le’von Bell.

Pass pro is a big issue- hopefully , he’ll be coached up to be above average or at least decent at it.

Yes you can definitely see some Lev Bell in his running style. His patients and vision are there on film. He takes what's there and doesn't try to bounce everything outside like some young backs. Pass pro is my biggest concern right now. He seemed willing on film but just wasn't very good at it in college. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Yes you can definitely see some Lev Bell in his running style. His patients and vision are there on film. He takes what's there and doesn't try to bounce everything outside like some young backs. Pass pro is my biggest concern right now. He seemed willing on film but just wasn't very good at it in college. 

Hopefully they can teach him to pass block. He difinitely has the size

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Michael has no vision what so ever he was terrible in Green Bay.

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Michael has no vision what so ever he was terrible in Green Bay.

I'm not a fan either.  You can always count on a few RB's popping free at cuts. Hopefully the young guys show enough that we are comfortable moving forward if not a vet shouldn't be hard to find. 

A quick look guys like Morris and Darkwa are still unsigned. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I'm not a fan either.  You can always count on a few RB's popping free at cuts. Hopefully the young guys show enough that we are comfortable moving forward if not a vet shouldn't be hard to find. 

A quick look guys like Morris and Darkwa are still unsigned. 

Very true I thought Darkwa did ok last season despite a horrible Giants o-line and I thought Morris did decent in Zeke's absence last year too.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:40 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think he could possibly make someone like Turban expendable. The Colts won’t be a carbon copy of the Eagles, but Philly did have success with multiple backs of varying styles last season.

Sproles: The undersized all purpose “offensive weapon” who can hurt you in multiple ways. His role on the Colts would be played by Hines.

Blount: The big bruiser back that runs between the tackles and gets the dirty yards. His role would be played by Wilkins

Mack probably fills the roles that Kenjon Barner and Smallwood played as quick backs who can get to the outside quick

I like our mix at RB, but I think they're being oversold a bit. Mack is coming back from surgery. Hines has a long way to go to warrant the Sproles comp. And Wilkins is kind of soft to be compared to a bruiser like Blount. I like Wilkins, he's probably our most complete back, and I could see him starting before long, but he's not a power back. 

It's definitely good to have a multi-dimensional backfield, including a true scat back weapon and another speedster in Mack, but there's a lot to be proved with the young guys.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I like our mix at RB, but I think they're being oversold a bit. Mack is coming back from surgery. Hines has a long way to go to warrant the Sproles comp. And Wilkins is kind of soft to be compared to a bruiser like Blount. I like Wilkins, he's probably our most complete back, and I could see him starting before long, but he's not a power back. 

It's definitely good to have a multi-dimensional backfield, including a true scat back weapon and another speedster in Mack, but there's a lot to be proved with the young guys.

Being that we have matt forte (wilkins) jamaal charles (mack) and sproles (hines) all in the back field our running game should be unstoppable lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Well I guess they’re not direct comparisons. It’s more of what they could be and what role they could play. I guess a better way to put it would have been to say that Wilkins could play the Ajayi role. Hines could play a Darren Sproles like role in our offense.

Turbin is who they have selected to play the Blount role I think. Blount is who you turn to usually when you want to pick up some tough yards and what not.  That's what Robert Turbin does to some extent.  I'm pretty certain we keep 4 backs.  Michael may get kept around due to Turbins abscence temporarily.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Turbin is who they have selected to play the Blount role I think. Blount is who you turn to usually when you want to pick up some tough yards and what not.  That's what Robert Turbin does to some extent.  I'm pretty certain we keep 4 backs.  Michael may get kept around due to Turbins abscence temporarily.

Hard to argue that at this point. I have a feeling that they may pick up a back off the scrap heap along the way. Alfred Morris, Orleans Darkwa, or a young guy that gets cut from another team. It's anyone's guess on who that may be at this point. But I do have a feeling we'll see another guy in the mix along the way. I guess I just don't want to see Michael or Ferguson in the mix at all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well I guess they’re not direct comparisons. It’s more of what they could be and what role they could play. I guess a better way to put it would have been to say that Wilkins could play the Ajayi role. Hines could play a Darren Sproles like role in our offense.

Yeah it makes sense (and Ajayi is a better comp for Wilkins than Blount, but even Ajayi is more of a power runner than Wilkins). The problem is that comparisons come with hype and expectations, and those expectations are generally way too high. 

Sproles, for instance, is 8th in all time all purpose yardage. He's already lasted twice as long as your average NFL RB, three times as long as your average 4th rounder (where both he and Hines were drafted), and has outperformed any reasonable expectations for a 190 pound scat back / return man. He's probably the greatest scat back in NFL history. 

So when people start saying stuff like 'Hines is our Sproles,' before he's played a down, it's premature and overly ambitious, JMO. He definitely fits that role, but so have others, and there's only one Sproles so far.

Like I said, I like the mix we have. And I like both of the rookies, and Mack. Just saying, I kind of cringe at these comparisons because of the hype that follows.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Being that we have matt forte (wilkins) jamaal charles (mack) and sproles (hines) all in the back field our running game should be unstoppable lol

Who needs Saquon Barkley when we have this type of a RB by committee stable.