Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson

The more I watch tape and his interviews, the more I want Ballard to draft him if he falls to us at 6 and if the Chubb is off the board which is quite possible. He has a mean physicality about him, would fit nicely in our offensive line and make our offensive line physically tough. 

Charley Casserly called him the best run blocking Guard in this draft and the best offensive lineman to come into the NFL since 2000. So he’s basically saying he has a chance to be better than Zack Martin. 

• Like 4

I watched tape on him & imo he has the quickest feet that I've seen from a guard in many years. He's a strong flat out mauler that gets to the second level & finishes every block he initiates. Well above average pass blocker as well. I'm convinced he's going to be a star & a potential all pro. Sadly, I don't think he will fall to us or even if he does may not be the pick depending on who else is there. Whoever ends up with this guy is getting a top notch offensive lineman for many years. 

I want him wearing the shoe badly. I'm not optimistic.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I watched tape on him & imo he has the quickest feet that I've seen from a guard in many years. He's a strong flat out mauler that gets to the second level & finishes every block he initiates. Well above average pass blocker as well. I'm convinced he's going to be a star & a potential all pro. Sadly, I don't think he will fall to us or even if he does may not be the pick depending on who else is there. Whoever ends up with this guy is getting a top notch offensive lineman for many years. 

Nelson is my #1 guy for the colts to pick, but I feel that Ballard values other positions higher. In my opinion Nelson would fix the whole oline. He's physicality would be contagious. I know we have many areas of need but at the same time IF #12 is coming back don't you want this guy protecting him? I'm going to give Ballard this year but if the oline is terrible again, I'm going to really start questioning his decision making. Maybe he knows just how terrible chud and pagano were and thinks Reich will have a better scheme to get the ball out quicker. But he better be darn sure of that cause he's playing with fire. 

Nelson is awesome. His tape is amazing.

I wish that we only had one major hole to fill..............

Also ........If there were no VERY high quality guard prospects in later picks.......

If that were the case I would run to the podium with Nelson as my pick

The guy can play....... he is a safe pick...... (Maybe the safest)

In his tape he keeps his man from hitting the QB on pass plays

I see the same thing from Wynn, Price, and Hernandez

On running plays, Nelson pushes his guy out of the hole.

I see the same thing from theses same 3 guard prospects.

Nelson CLEARLY does it better. 

However, a man blocked is a man blocked..........  (Nelson might be able to break them in half and hurt their feelings)

However, ONE guard, doesnt turn a game around.(At least in my humble opinion)

There are a few picks at 6 that CAN turn around a game..... a difference maker

Chubb, Barkley, Smith, Edmunds, 2 of the 4 the QBs............

If we go guard first, the SECOND  choice is potential, and PROBABLY not a game changer

Just my 2 cents..... maybe worth a penny  :)

Deano

• Like 3

22 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Well written observations here. I watch Nelson's tape & want to land him so darn bad. Then, like you say INDY will never have a shot at securing his services & I get depressed. Why did I watch his highlight reel & get my hopes up? Grrr! 

Man, any back would have fabulous numbers running behind that freak of nature. Nice music on his clip too. I can't stand that rap/hip hop crap so many football amateur enthusiasts use. Drives me nuts. End rant. 

Lol! Right after I post my response the clip segways into rap. Go figure. Oh well...

11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

On running plays, Nelson pushes his guy out of the hole.

I know MC that's what makes Nelson so enticing man. He's like a bouncer that crushes anybody across from him with ease like Mongo from "Blazing Saddles." 

I keep telling myself move on, but Nelson just pops off my computer screen man. I can't help it. Like a moth to a flame. Zap. 

• Like 1

Once the Giants traded away JPP, it seemed like a lock to me that they have every intention on drafting Bradley Chubb.

There is a chance Denver could pull the trigger on Nelson at #5 but I think they go a different route. I think Denver pulls somewhat of a surprise and takes Harold Landry to pair up with Von Miller.

If we don't trade out of the #6 spot, Quentin Nelson will be extremely hard to pass on. It's kind of hard to get excited about drafting an OG at #6 but Nelson is really starting to get me excited about the possibility of transforming our O-line into a strength instead of a weakness.

Jesus, think of the security blanket Nelson is for any QB. I don't watch a ton of Notre Dame ball, but on Nelson's 2017 highlights clip on You Tube I laughed at the 13:03 mark. He basically sat on top of his line of scrimmage competition. Oh yeah baby! Talk about making somebody your...rhymes with witch. I like it! 

Alright; alright. I can't live in fantasy land forever. I'm leaving this thread for my own peace of mind now. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:57 PM, coltsfansince65 said:

I agree. I’m really impressed how he’s able to maul defenders at the point of attack and his blocking techniques are NFL ready. He’s the safest pick in my opinion. People are going to say we have to address the pass rush draft Chubb. We can address that in the second round drafting someone like Hubbard, Key, or Carter. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Jesus, think of the security blanket Nelson is for any QB. I don't watch a ton of Notre Dame ball, but on Nelson's 2017 highlights clip on You Tube I laughed at the 13:03 mark. He basically sat on top of his line of scrimmage competition. Oh yeah baby! Talk about making somebody your...rhymes with witch. I like it! 

Alright; alright. I can't live in fantasy land forever. I'm leaving this thread for my own peace of mind now. 

Ok guy let me ask you this. 

Let’s say Chubb is gone, it’s a strong possibility he is, and Nelson is there for us to take at 6 would you draft him? 

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Let’s say Chubb is gone, it’s a strong possibility he is, and Nelson is there for us to take at 6 would you draft him? 

Abso--Bloody Loot-Ly DHR. Forget the draft clock. Submit Nelson's name on the draft card pronto...haha

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

I'd have the card in before the guy picked #5 can even get off the stage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I know some will disagree with this and say it's too high for a guard, but I would yes.

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I know MC that's what makes Nelson so enticing man. He's like a bouncer that crushes anybody across from him with ease like Mongo from "Blazing Saddles." 

I keep telling myself move on, but Nelson just pops off my computer screen man. I can't help it. Like a moth to a flame. Zap. 

It will be an interesting draft day.

If they take Nelson, we will have a solid pro for many years.....  Our line will be better

He is better than some of the many other first round wastes that Grigs picked, by a mile...............

but

(I still dont want a guard at 6 :)  )

Given that we got a haul in the Jets trade, I believe with all the extra picks in our back pocket we should look at drafting the safest pick in round 1. Barkley would be my first choice ( game changer ) but the more I see Nelson and from commentary from all the so called talent evaluators the man is a can't miss beast.

I think part of the reason Ballard will shy away from taking Nelson, aside from the whole positional value aspect, is that he expects one of Hernandez/Wynn to be there in the early 2nd. Or Billy Price if worst comes to worst (who I really like, just the injury stuff).

Not only that, but I imagine he thinks that most if not all the top defensive talent will be getting picked clean right at the end of the 1st and those few picks in the early 2nd before us. I figure he'll want to avoid completely missing out on that defensive talent.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think part of the reason Ballard will shy away from taking Nelson, aside from the whole positional value aspect, is that he expects one of Hernandez/Wynn to be there in the early 2nd. Or Billy Price if worst comes to worst (who I really like, just the injury stuff).

Not only that, but I imagine he thinks most if not all the top defensive talent will be getting picked clean right at the end of the 1st and those few picks in the early 2nd before us. I figure he'll want to avoid completely missing out on that defensive talent.

This is what I'm thinking too.

This is a VERY deep draft for guards. Sure they're not on the level of Nelson but they're still very good. And very good is a MASSIVE upgrade over what's currently on the roster. So the quality of guard after the first is much better than the LB quality after the first.

This is why I can see them taking Smith if Chubb is gone.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Not only that, but I imagine he thinks that most if not all the top defensive talent will be getting picked clean right at the end of the 1st and those few picks in the early 2nd before us. I figure he'll want to avoid completely missing out on that defensive talent.

100% Agree  !!!

I love Nelson....... he would help us greatly...... But.... I think any of the 3 other "best" guards...... would ALSO help us greatly..........

But my question is this

Just HOW MUCH can you block a guy??????

Nelson moves the guy out of the hole and doesnt let poor Andrew get clobberd on pass plays AND THEN, takes the DT and takes his lunch money, stomps him, breaks his arms and his legs, offends his parents,................

Thats awesome........

But .........I would be just as happy with a 2nd round guy that moves the guy out of the hole, and doenst let poor Andrew get clobbered on pass plays

Thats what the any of the three quality guards, that at least one will fall to us in round two gives us........AND we get a differnce maker on defense at 6.........

On 4/11/2018 at 6:44 PM, DownHillRunner said:

The more I watch tape and his interviews, the more I want Ballard to draft him if he falls to us at 6 and if the Chubb is off the board which is quite possible. He has a mean physicality about him, would fit nicely in our offensive line and make our offensive line physically tough. 

Charley Casserly called him the best run blocking Guard in this draft and the best offensive lineman to come into the NFL since 2000. So he’s basically saying he has a chance to be better than Zack Martin. 

If all goes the way draft “pros” are saying 1-3 will be QB’s and now Fitzpatrick is rumored to be going at 4 over barkley which has barkley falling to 5 which leave Nelson and Chubb for us at 6. 

I honestly want chubb but will not be mad if we go either way. 

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Are you Nelson's older brother?  :)

Just bustin Yo chops......

Any brother would want Nelson in the trenches or backing you up in a dark alley. My kind of bulldozer man. His presence would change everything on our offense. Oh my God! 

5 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Sometimes though, a guy is as good as advertised though & their high draft stock is indeed warranted. I get that you're not necessary against grabbing Nelson FC11. You are simply articulating Ballard's GM philosophy. 

Yes, I realize that INDY needs pass rushers & LBs that is true. But, we need to protect Luck with the consistent running game & Nelson creates a crater like hole wherever he runs. If Nelson is there, pull the darn trigger Chris Ballard. 

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

It will be an interesting draft day.

If they take Nelson, we will have a solid pro for many years.....  Our line will be better

He is better than some of the many other first round wastes that Grigs picked, by a mile...............

but

(I still dont want a guard at 6 :)  )

With most guards you're right on the money MC; except that Nelson is special. Need a visual aid? Think of that Clint Eastwood movie "Pale Rider" where he plays a frontier preacher & that mammoth muscle man comes out & breaks that large rock in two. Nelson treats his competition like tiny rock pebbles & makes his rivals feel like they have just had they family jewels neutralized. 

As much as I detest the Dallas Cowboys, I respect their offensive line & I want the exact same thing for Luck. The only ice I want is on our foes not Chewbacca's shoulder. Games are always won & lost in the trenches. JMO. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Sometimes though, a guy is as good as advertised though & their high draft stock is indeed warranted. I get that you're not necessary against grabbing Nelson FC11. You are simply articulating Ballard's GM philosophy. 

Yes, I realize that INDY needs pass rushers & LBs that is true. But, we need to protect Luck with the consistent running game & Nelson creates a crater like hole wherever he runs. If Nelson is there, pull the darn trigger Chris Ballard. 

Oh yeah, I think he's as good as advertised. And just to clarify, positional value isn't the main reason I think he'll pass on Ballard. I think it has to do with the possibility that the top defensive talent will be gone by our 2nd round picks, and the fact that there will be at least one very good option at interior OL there.

But yeah, one of the more interesting mocks I've done was taking Nelson and Hernandez with our first two picks. The defensive side really suffered in that mock but at least our line was basically fixed.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

the possibility that the top defensive talent will be gone by our 2nd round picks,

Good point FC11. Like you I just want our line solidified, but yes, that's the perfect explanation for going in a different direction. 

My problem is when I'm big on a draft prospect I have a hard time letting go like a dog gnawing on a bone. I need to check out your mocks man. Thanks for your take. 

21 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

In in my opinion this draft should be used to help Luck on offense and add LB talent to this team.

Getting Quenton Nelson round 1, and a Sony Michel or Rashaad Penny round 3 would go along way in helping Luck.

Round 2 and 4 Ballard can add talent at LB, CB, and WR. 

Pass rush at least has some options with Sheard, Basham, and Autry. Basham could surprise a lot of people in his natural position at DE. 

10 hours ago, Matabix said:

Would you rather have Nelson or Winn/Davenport or Winn/Landry. 

Next question is if we ger Nelson you think it would be better at LG or RG?

Nelson is better suited to be a LG imo.

On 4/12/2018 at 5:52 PM, Matthew Gilbert said:

Once the Giants traded away JPP, it seemed like a lock to me that they have every intention on drafting Bradley Chubb.

There is a chance Denver could pull the trigger on Nelson at #5 but I think they go a different route. I think Denver pulls somewhat of a surprise and takes Harold Landry to pair up with Von Miller.

If we don't trade out of the #6 spot, Quentin Nelson will be extremely hard to pass on. It's kind of hard to get excited about drafting an OG at #6 but Nelson is really starting to get me excited about the possibility of transforming our O-line into a strength instead of a weakness.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Denver selected Denzel, Minkah, or Derwin at 5. Their secondary needs help after the departure of Talib. That left a hole at CB. They have no real legit safeties either. They could go the Quarterback route as well but I doubt it. If Elway really thinks Keenum is the real deal and didn’t have a fluke 2017 season then they won’t select a QB. 

Until Nelson plays in the NFL, we have no idea wat type of player he will b. Cooper....Warmack and Gallery were all can't miss prospects.   Just pump the breaks on the hall of fame all pro talk. After a year in the NFL , we will get a good idea of wat type of player he will b.  Frankly, he is the most interesting player  I want to c after year 1.  He is being touted as generational, hall of fame and  an annual all pro type player.  Wat does it say bout all these scouts and analysts if he is just a good player? Nothing, because talent from college to the pros is so hard to evaluate as there r so many factors that r involved in evaluating a player. All professional sports have top 5 picks who continually fail in the pros.  If Nelson is all pro it would no surprise me.  If he was just a good player that would not shock me either.  Just my thoughts.