Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton (this is cool)

csmopar

Just a reminder how special the Manning to Harrison hook up was.

Harrison at his size is what makes me believe he is the 2nd greatest WR in history. The thing is Marv was never as tall or as heavy as any of his reports were.

I met him two times and he didn't even look like a football player.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2018 at 9:44 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Just a reminder how special the Manning to Harrison hook up was.

Harrison at his size is what makes me believe he is the 2nd greatest WR in history. The thing is Marv was never as tall or as heavy as any of his reports were.

I met him two times and he didn't even look like a football player.

What I heard from interviews was how crisp Harrison's routes were. He had this ability to run a route so seamlessly that when he made his cuts, he didn't seem to lose any speed. Then you combine that with his size and huge hands and it just made him a monster in coverage. He was so talented, Manning would throw goalline fade passes that the defense knew was coming, yet they couldn't stop it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

What I heard from interviews was how crisp Harrison's routes were. He had this ability to run a route so seamlessly that when he made his cuts, he didn't seem to lose any speed. Then you combine that with his size and huge hands and it just made him a monster in coverage. He was so talented, Manning would throw goalline fade passes that the defense knew was coming, yet they couldn't stop it.

This is one of the reasons I am not as taken with size of a receiver as some are.

On 3/27/2018 at 2:33 PM, PeterBowman said:

also makes me remember what it was like to have awesome play calling.

Ironically, I think some of that was attributed to Peyton Manning. Our defense was just that old bend but don't break crap that gave up like 32/35 completions to Drew Brees in the Superbowl.

On 3/27/2018 at 2:30 PM, Clem-Dog said:

For reference Antonio Brown is a very poor man's Marvin.

He is not. He is just as elusive and has improved his route running considerably over the last few years. Plus, he shows up in the playoffs even if he is matched up against the best CBs.

It is just Marvin was caught up in an era where they jammed him past 5 yards and rarely got called for it.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

He is not. He is just as elusive and has improved his route running considerably over the last few years. Plus, he shows up in the playoffs even if he is matched up against the best CBs.

It is just Marvin was caught up in an era where they jammed him past 5 yards and rarely got called for it.

3 hours ago, Calmack said:

Brown is all and maybe more the player Marvin was. In terms of skill at least. 

Based on production thru 8 seasons:

• Antonio Brown/ Marvin Harrison : 
  • Rec  - 733/ 759
  • Yds  - 9,910/ 10,072
  • Avg  - 13.5/ 13.3
  • Yds/g- 86.2/ 81.35
  • TDs  -  59/ 83               (This is what separates Marv)
  • 20+  - 146/ 131             (Adv Antonio)
  • 40+  - 33/ 30

My comparison is valid with exception to calling Antonio a "very poor man's Marvin," but I will revise my statement to reflect that Antonio is a lesser Marvin.  All things being equal Marvin's ability to find the end zone elevates him above AB.

44 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

• Rec  - 733/ 759
  • Yds  - 9,910/ 10,072
  • Avg  - 13.5/ 13.3
  • Yds/g- 86.2/ 81.35
  • 40+  - 33/ 30

My comparison is valid with exception to calling Antonio a "very poor man's Marvin," but I will revise my statement to reflect that Antonio is a lesser Marvin.  All things being equal Marvin's ability to find the end zone elevates him above AB.

Brown had 167 yards in his first year. I don't really think it's fair to include that one. Take that one out and everything but TDs gets skewed even more in favor of Brown, in per game avgs. But I get your point, I hold Marvin in higher regards too. For now at least. 

11 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

• Rec  - 733/ 759
  • Yds  - 9,910/ 10,072
  • Avg  - 13.5/ 13.3
  • Yds/g- 86.2/ 81.35
  • 40+  - 33/ 30

That part was the one I had an issue with. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Antonio Brown challenges Marvin as time goes on but since I doubt Big Ben would match Peyton with longevity, that would be something in favor of Marvin.

• 2 weeks later...