Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts need to get a trade for Landry done asap..

37 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Julio, OBJ , Brown are worth 15 mil and are on another level and the bar is set with them but what exactly are they doing in the playoffs ? Superbowls ? I only see them in the regular season on highlights. If they are worth 15 mil why wouldn't Landry be ? If we are paying for regular season highlights then why doesn't Landry deserve what they make?  I would argue if Landry had the QB's that Brown ,OBJ, or Julio have he would be able to prove why he's worth the money. And with Luck he would have those numbers that they have or better. The QB you have plays a significant part in your production.

Julio has averaged 104 yds and .75 TDs in 8 playoff games. If you remove Brown's rookie season (where he wasn't a starter), he has averaged 107 yards and .57 TDs in 7 playoff games. OJB hasn't done much in the postseason, but like Landry, he hasn't really had that chance. But his regular season production blows Landry away.

Luck isn't going to turn Landry into Julio, Brown or OBJ. But if Luck truly had the ability to make a good Wr great, then that's even less of a reason to pay Landry $15M/year. You would instead target cheaper second and third-tier WRs in FA and let Luck do his thing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Yeah and they eventually was watching as well. So what exactly are you getting from those two players that your not getting from Landry? They are getting the extra millions to watch the playoffs and the superbowls. And they both have better QB's and teams. Teams are paying them more to play 1 or 2 extra games a year. If he's not worth the money then maybe none of them are worth that kind of money IMO. 

You are getting better production than from Landry. Like in the playoffs were Brown was Steelers best player this past year and Julio was arguably that for the Falcons in '16.

Let's not use the wins argument to determine value of single players. It's bad for QBs, even worse for other positions. It's especially bad when it's used to defend a player who has made the playoffs once in his 4 year career.

Just now, shastamasta said:

Julio has averaged 104 yds and .75 TDs in 8 playoff games. If you remove Brown's rookie season (where he wasn't a starter), he has averaged 107 yards and .57 TDs in 7 playoff games. OJB hasn't done much in the postseason, but like Landry, he hasn't really had that chance. But his regular season production blows Landry away.

Luck isn't going to turn Landry into Julio, Brown or OBJ. But if Luck truly had the ability to make a good Wr great, then that's even less of a reason to pay Landry $15M/year. You would instead target cheaper second and third-tier WRs in FA and let Luck do his thing.

That dude is Landry's agent, no amount of rationale will work, you should speak in shoulda coulda etc. :) 

17 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

No way I would pay him $14 million per year. He had 112 receptions last year and 987 yards receiving. That is not a playmaking WR. Jack Doyle has a $5.6 million cap hit in 2018 and can give the Colts those numbers with Luck at QB...that's not a knock on Doyle; it is a knock on Landry. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

What we really don't know is who's asking price needs to come down.  Landry, Miami maybe both.  What we do know is Miami is up against it like you said and they will be very motivated to trade him.  Robinson and Watkins out there should motivate Landry.  He probably wasn't expecting that.  I think we're a player for Landry and I'm expecting we will know one way or the other very soon. 

Right now, Landry's asking price doesn't mean a whole lot.  He's locked in regardless of who he plays for at 15.6 million. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

The dolphins cannot keep him at that number, not without getting rid of a lot of other players. What you don't want is Dolphins to rescind the tag making Landry a "True" FA. Then it becomes a bidding war, no one wants.

They can't rescind it. If Miami later cuts him, they're still on the hook for ALL 15.6 mil of that per the NFL rules. 

43 minutes ago, Indeee said:

No it's not, the tag can be rescinded just like the Panthers did to Norman a few years back. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Norman signed it and then it was absolved

Tag CANNOT BE RESCINDED once signed by the player, which Landry is reportedly doing sometime TODAY. 

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I have read a lot of teams were/are interested in Landry but recent word is Phins having hard time finding a serious partner. Colts gotta step up and get this done and then go hard after A-Rob. Robinson, TY and Landry would be one of top WR tandems in the league. 

IMO, this needs to happen. Wishful thinking maybe, but I think it could be possible

Or!! We could get a guy that’s taller than 5’11 and more explosive the Landry in Robinson.  I’m sorry I wanted Landry until I saw in his 100 catch seasons he’s only averaged 8.8 yards a game.  Yes he scores but we need game breakers not a glorified TE.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I have read a lot of teams were/are interested in Landry but recent word is Phins having hard time finding a serious partner. Colts gotta step up and get this done and then go hard after A-Rob. Robinson, TY and Landry would be one of top WR tandems in the league. 

IMO, this needs to happen. Wishful thinking maybe, but I think it could be possible

They are trying to trade their best receiving threat that means they want a high price like a first round pick or a second round pick we have too many needs to just part with high draft capital.

1 hour ago, SolidGold said:

Julio, OBJ , Brown are worth 15 mil and are on another level and the bar is set with them but what exactly are they doing in the playoffs ? Superbowls ? I only see them in the regular season on highlights. If they are worth 15 mil why wouldn't Landry be ? If we are paying for regular season highlights then why doesn't Landry deserve what they make?  I would argue if Landry had the QB's that Brown ,OBJ, or Julio have he would be able to prove why he's worth the money. And with Luck he would have those numbers that they have or better. The QB you have plays a significant part in your production.

Julio killed it and put the falcons in position to win last Super Bowl, but they blew it. Steelers are contenders every year with AB leading the way. Without OBJ this year we saw how bad the giants are. But the real question is what has Landry done in the playoffs?

40 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I'd much rather have Robinson or Watkins. Both can be had for around the same price, are arguably better, and no draft picks need to be given up.

Robinson is one of my top FA targets. He's a true WR1 that would compliment TY perfectly in the way Moncrief was never able to.

I'm honestly really excited for Landry to be traded somewhere and all of this nonsense to be over with.

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

Robinson is one of my top FA targets. He's a true WR1 that would compliment TY perfectly in the way Moncrief was never able to.

I'm honestly really excited for Landry to be traded somewhere and all of this nonsense to be over with.

Would like to have Robinson as well but it still doesn't change the fact that the slot position is a valuable spot and can be a game changer. Chester is trash and a 4 at best. Who ever they decide at 2 is fine but the 3 should be addressed as well. I rather take the field with the best possible players instead of being cheap. Pay for results instead of hoping a player has a breakthrough season. If im paying for hopes and wishes on a low risk high reward I'd definitely go with Robinson. But if im paying for overall talent and a high level player that's healthy and going to give me a guranteed 1000 yrds and around 100 catches and a pro bowl appearance im going with Landry. If the price goes down on Landry I wouldn't mind having both. 

24 minutes ago, Shive said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, there are going to be a lot of teams that are on the market for him. A team like the 49ers could snatch him away.

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

I'm sorry,  this isn't just wishful thinking.....   this is Fantasy Land.

This idea fails on every possible level.

Money:

Hilton makes 13 mill per

Landry wants 15+ MIll per

Robinson wants 10+ Mill per...

That's nearly $40 mill for your three top receivers.     That doesn't happen.     Anywhere.    Not on any other of the 31 teams.    The Colts would never devote that much money to one position group.    No team does.

Catches/Targets:

All three guys are number one WR's.     They all want at least 5-6 catches per game on 8-10 targets per game.    That's 15-20 catches on 25-30 targets per game.     And that doesn't even include passes to the tight ends,  running backs and other WR's.      That's not the offense that Frank Reich wants to run.

Ego:

If we traded for Landry,   Allan Robinson would never come here....   too many #1's and not enough passes to go around.    This would not be a happy receiving core.   

It's not that this idea is a long shot.

It's got no shot.     The idea is DOA.      Sorry.

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  this isn't just wishful thinking.....   this is Fantasy Land.

This idea fails on every possible level.

Money:

Hilton makes 13 mill per

Landry wants 15+ MIll per

Robinson wants 10+ Mill per...

That's nearly $40 mill for your three top receivers.     That doesn't happen.     Anywhere.    Not on any other of the 31 teams.    The Colts would never devote that much money to one position group.    No team does.

Catches/Targets:

All three guys are number one WR's.     They all want at least 5-6 catches per game on 8-10 targets per game.    That's 15-20 catches on 25-30 targets per game.     And that doesn't even include passes to the tight ends,  running backs and other WR's.      That's not the offense that Frank Reich wants to run.

Ego:

If we traded for Landry,   Allan Robinson would never come here....   too many #1's and not enough passes to go around.    This would not be a happy receiving core.   

It's not that this idea is a long shot.

It's got no shot.     The idea is DOA.      Sorry.

Yeah coming from a GM and owner/agent I should take that into consideration...(Not)It's a idea and a business. Every player is different but they all have one common goal and thats winning rings. Anything can happen. This thought process that you came up with has been debunked in the NBA and I don't see why it can't happen in the NFL. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it wont. Your not qualified to say what has a shot and doesn't in a billion dollar business. A idea is a idea but saying something has no shot in the entertainment business is being arrogant and simple minded. It's ok to disagree but don't talk as if you wear a hat in the NFL. Your arrogance is funny because your no more qualified than the next person with ideas , or opinions. 

6 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Every player is different but they all have one common goal and thats winning rings.

That is...for the most part....every fans goal. Many players, especially vets, also have a common goal of earning as much as they can before they can't play anymore. They also have goals that include their spouses and children. 

Yes, I believe that is a common goal, but it is one among many. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

That is...for the most part....every fans goal. Many players, especially vets, also have a common goal of earning as much as they can before they can't play anymore. They also have goals that include their spouses and children. 

Yes, I believe that is a common goal, but it is one among many. 

Exactly why no fan should tell a player how much he is worth. The slot is a very dangerous position and I dont blame that man for wanting more money. He and his family deserve it. 

19 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Yeah coming from a GM and owner/agent I should take that into consideration...(Not)It's a idea and a business. Every player is different but they all have one common goal and thats winning rings. Anything can happen. This thought process that you came up with has been debunked in the NBA and I don't see why it can't happen in the NFL. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it wont. Your not qualified to say what has a shot and doesn't in a billion dollar business. A idea is a idea but saying something has no shot in the entertainment business is being arrogant and simple minded. It's ok to disagree but don't talk as if you wear a hat in the NFL. Your arrogance is funny because your no more qualified than the next person with ideas , or opinions. 

There are roughly 20,000 members here.     If you somehow think that all 20,000 of us share the same knowledge,  have the same understanding as everyone else.....    then I can't help you.     No one can.

You're perfectly entitled to say and think that everyone is entitlted to their own opinion.     You are,  I am,  we all are....

But I LITERALLY spelled out how this idea does not work.     I literally spelled out that no team in the NFL does what the OP suggested.     I literally spelled out how and why this doesn't work.     And still you think I don't know more than anyone.

If you don't like my posts you're free to put me on ignore.

I'm not qualified?       You're a funny guy......      You're too new here to know what you're talking about......

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Right now, Landry's asking price doesn't mean a whole lot.  He's locked in regardless of who he plays for at 15.6 million. 

They can't rescind it. If Miami later cuts him, they're still on the hook for ALL 15.6 mil of that per the NFL rules. 

Tag CANNOT BE RESCINDED once signed by the player, which Landry is reportedly doing sometime TODAY. 

The only way he's locked into the franchise tag number is if the team trading for him doesn't sign him to a new contract.  The whole point is to trade for him and sign him to a new contract which throws the tag number out the window.  He gets a longer contract than a one year guarantee and he receives guaranteed money which will be more than the tag number.  

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Julio killed it and put the falcons in position to win last Super Bowl, but they blew it. Steelers are contenders every year with AB leading the way. Without OBJ this year we saw how bad the giants are. But the real question is what has Landry done in the playoffs?

If he had a franchise QB like the guys you mentioned I think we might find out how he does in the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are roughly 20,000 members here.     If you somehow think that all 20,000 of us share the same knowledge,  have the same understanding as everyone else.....    then I can't help you.     No one can.

You're perfectly entitled to say and think that everyone is entitlted to their own opinion.     You are,  I am,  we all are....

But I LITERALLY spelled out how this idea does not work.     I literally spelled out that no team in the NFL does what the OP suggested.     I literally spelled out how and why this doesn't work.     And still you think I don't know more than anyone.

If you don't like my posts you're free to put me on ignore.

I'm not qualified?       You're a funny guy......      You're too new here to know what you're talking about......

Ignore you ? For what ? Because im not part of the cool kids or another yes man to a veteran in the threads. I'm new to this but im also true to this. I don't take this stuff personal though. Just because we disagree on something or on everything doesn't make me feel some type of way about you. I respect the vets in here and the knowledge.  I've learned alot in this short amount of time but I still don't see where you qualify in saying something can't change within a business. 

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The only way he's locked into the franchise tag number is if the team trading for him doesn't sign him to a new contract.  The whole point is to trade for him and sign him to a new contract which throws the tag number out the window.  He gets a longer contract than a one year guarantee and he receives guaranteed money which will be more than the tag number.  

Yes that's the point HOWEVER, he'd have to play under the tag even with a new team if he refused to work on the contract. Now most players want that long term contract so they renegotiate the contract but the new team isn't forced to offer them a new contract. They could for all purposes use it as a 1 year rental if they wanted

38 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

The slot is a very dangerous position and I dont blame that man for wanting more money. He and his family deserve it. 

You seem to look at it through the perspective of "Landry is great at his position and therefore deserves top WR $$". The issue is that you completely neglect positional value. A team wouldn't take a player like Landry in the 1st Round of the draft because those types of players are always available in the middle rounds.

He's absolutely entitled to wanting more money to support his family. That doesn't mean we need to be the team to pay him more money. The values that we discuss are typically based upon the contracts of players most similar to Landry. Supply and demand strongly influence the "worth" of a player. Top outside WR's are hard to find (low supply) and therefore get more money, because there aren't many players that can do what they do (OBJ, Julio Jones, AB). Slot WR's are a lot more common (low demand) and therefore don't get paid as much. Most WR's that are great route runners, have great hands, and lack the long speed for the outside can easily slide into the slot and be extremely successful.

16 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Ignore you ? For what ? Because im not part of the cool kids or another yes man to a veteran in the threads. I'm new to this but im also true to this. I don't take this stuff personal though. Just because we disagree on something or on everything doesn't make me feel some type of way about you. I respect the vets in here and the knowledge.  I've learned alot in this short amount of time but I still don't see where you qualify in saying something can't change within a business. 

You publicly call me arrogant and then say you don't take this personal...?

Hmmm?

I wonder what you'd call me if you DID take this personal?!?

1 minute ago, Shive said:

You seem to look at it through the perspective of "Landry is great at his position and therefore deserves top WR $$". The issue is that you completely neglect positional value. A team wouldn't take a player like Landry in the 1st Round of the draft because those types of players are always available in the middle rounds.

He's absolutely entitled to wanting more money to support his family. That doesn't mean we need to be the team to pay him more money. The values that we discuss are typically based upon the contracts of players most similar to Landry. Supply and demand strongly influence the "worth" of a player. Top outside WR's are hard to find (low supply) and therefore get more money, because there aren't many players that can do what they do (OBJ, Julio Jones, AB). Slot WR's are a lot more common (low demand) and therefore don't get paid as much. Most WR's that are great route runners, have great hands, and lack the long speed for the outside can easily slide into the slot and be extremely successful.

Good post.    Really good.    Very thoughtful.    Thanks for advancing the discussion.

:colts:

You do a great job of making a bad first impression.

I recommended putting me on ignore because my posts seem to bother you.   I doubt you'd call someone you don't know arrogant based on one post.   So if my posts bother you then the safest thing is to ignore me.  

You're young.    You'll figure this out soon enough.    Or not.   Good luck to you.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You do a great job of making a bad first impression.

I recommended putting me on ignore because my posts seem to bother you.   I doubt you'd call someone you don't know arrogant based on one post.   So if my posts bother you then the safest thing is to ignore me.  

You're young.    You'll figure this out soon enough.    Or not.   Good luck to you.

Hahaha stop please. Im not going to ignore you. Why are you dragging this out and making it into something it's not. To think the safest thing for ME to do is ignore you is completely arrogant of you to say lol. I do a great job of making a bad impression?  ( Because you are the overall judge of impressions) lol. Ok so let me get this straight your a Owner , GM, Coach, and Forum first impressions judge... Ok got it. You really matter and your really important. Your a big deal. Im done entertaining your clown antics. Take this smile and enjoy your day:D

5 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Hahaha stop please. Im not going to ignore you. Why are you dragging this out and making it into something it's not. To think the safest thing for ME to do is ignore you is completely arrogant of you to say lol. I do a great job of making a bad impression?  ( Because you are the overall judge of impressions) lol. Ok so let me get this straight your a Owner , GM, Coach, and Forum first impressions judge... Ok got it. You really matter and your really important. Your a big deal. Im done entertaining your clown antics. Take this smile and enjoy your day:D

Like I said...    you're really young.

And apparently you're going to learn the hard way.    Your choice, not mine.

Good luck here...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Like I said...    you're really young.

And apparently you're going to learn the hard way.    Your choice, not mine.

Good luck here...

Ok GM lets make this productive since your reaching for the attention and praise. I have the # 13th pick with the Redskins. Any thoughts ? I don't have a 3rd rd pick. I don't think my RB will drop to 2nd rd. But I need a CB and a DT just as bad. 

4 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Ok GM lets make this productive since your reaching for the attention and praise. I have the # 13th pick with the Redskins. Any thoughts ? I don't have a 3rd rd pick. I don't think my RB will drop to 2nd rd. But I need a CB and a DT just as bad. 

Hey...  

According to you...   it's entertainment..   anything is possible.

Congratulations.    You've just come up with the perfect universal answer to any post.

It's entertainment...  anything is possible.

Thanks,  Capt  Obvious!

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Hey...  

According to you...   it's entertainment..   anything is possible.

Congratulations.    You've just come up with the perfect universal answer to any post.

It's entertainment...  anything is possible.

Thanks,  Capt  Obvious!

Ok I tried to change the subject... Now your just trolling me... Hahaha... Why the hate... relax.. Your taking this way to personal.. Ease up ten speed. 

10 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Ok I tried to change the subject... Now your just trolling me... Hahaha... Why the hate... relax.. Your taking this way to personal.. Ease up ten speed. 

I'm trolling you?

Not once,  but TWICE,  I asked you to ignore me.     In essence,  go away.

But you don't like my answers and now I'm trolling you?

You couldn't possibly be anymore unaware of who you are and what you're doing....

2 hours ago, SolidGold said:

NCF laid out very realistic reasons why that idea won't work, based on how things in the NFL function and have functioned for years. Things can absolutely change, but that doesn't make this idea any more realistic. Having essentially 3 #1 WR's isn't done because it just doesn't make sense. You're paying 3 guys top money when they won't be able to produce up to the amount you're paying them, because there's 3 of them. That kind of thing works in Madden, but it doesn't work in the NFL. Also, the NBA is a terrible comparison, because it's a COMPLETELY different game.

To the bolded portions, you took NCF's well presented post and because you don't agree with him, told him he's not qualified to give his opinion. Ironically, this is a very arrogant thing to tell him, because in effect, you are saying that your opinion is valid, while his is not.

This is a public forum, where the purpose is to discuss a common subject, often comprising of differences in opinions. A lot of people don't agree with each other, but they accept that nobody's opinion is less or more valid than their own.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm trolling you?

Not once,  but TWICE,  I asked you to ignore me.     In essence,  go away.

But you don't like my answers and now I'm trolling you?

You couldn't possibly be anymore unaware of who you are and what you're doing....

Ok grandpa I walked on your grass... Your obviously butthurt over something near dear to your heart or you couldn't wait to pick a argument with me. Either way it's hilarious and ill add Comedian to your resume.

Are you unaware that I'm aware of what you're doing...

5 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Ok grandpa I walked on your grass... Your obviously butthurt over something near dear to your heart or you couldn't wait to pick a argument with me. Either way it's hilarious and ill add Comedian to your resume.

Are you unaware that I'm aware of what you're doing...

Thanks,  Felicia....

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

NCF laid out very realistic reasons why that idea won't work, based on how things in the NFL function and have functioned for years. Things can absolutely change, but that doesn't make this idea any more realistic. Having essentially 3 #1 WR's isn't done because it just doesn't make sense. You're paying 3 guys top money when they won't be able to produce up to the amount you're paying them, because there's 3 of them. That kind of thing works in Madden, but it doesn't work in the NFL. Also, the NBA is a terrible comparison, because it's a COMPLETELY different game.

To the bolded portions, you took NCF's well presented post and because you don't agree with him, told him he's not qualified to give his opinion. Ironically, this is a very arrogant thing to tell him, because in effect, you are saying that your opinion is valid, while his is not.

This is a public forum, where the purpose is to discuss a common subject, often comprising of differences in opinions. A lot of people don't agree with each other, but they accept that nobody's opinion is less or more valid than their own.

Ok.... Are you done.... Thanks for saying exactly what I was saying from the beginning.  He basically told me to shut up and that my opinion or idea doesn't matter because he's right. Then used his years being on the forum to further try and quiet me. Bottom line is we disagreed and he blew this into something it's not and your picking sides. Just relax we all are off topic and I know how this type of thing plays out.