Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fa we need to get serious on whom we target

With all the glamour of the top pick in the draft, We need to get input on what our goals should be in the FA. This can be as important as to how our season progresses as the early draft pick at #3.  What is out there, and at what price? Could some FA help could enhance our  needs & goals .Some players who are not a project but, could solidify our offense or defense this year. Any suggestion's? What are your thoughts? Remember this is before the draft, so this can help shape the draft .

I think we are all going to be very disappointed with who we sign during the free agency period. I hope that I am wrong, but I really don't see the Colts being major players in the free agent market. Several times over the last few weeks Ballard has made a point of emphasizing how he wants to build the team through the draft. I think he is going to take a more Polianesque approach to free agency. I could be wrong, but that is just the feeling I am getting based an ballard's statements.

1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I think we are all going to be very disappointed with who we sign during the free agency period. I hope that I am wrong, but I really don't see the Colts being major players in the free agent market. Several times over the last few weeks Ballard has made a point of emphasizing how he wants to build the team through the draft. I think he is going to take a more Polianesque approach to free agency. I could be wrong, but that is just the feeling I am getting based an ballard's statements.

He said that last year too and signed 12+ free agents. I think he will be selective and not afraid to go after someone he wants.

Norwell and sitton. The way things are looking we need to address oline in free agency. This is a weak group of tackles in the draft. It's hard to trust any other lineman outside of Nelson in the draft. Maybe Wynn but he'll be gone by our 2nd pick. Why chance it, just hit it hard in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I have the same worries but if he turns a blind eye to our offensive line, I think he'll be setting himself up for failure. I think Ballard is a smart enough man to know if the line isn't fixed there will be some upset fans in the Luke next year.

14 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Didn't he say that last yr too?  He went out and spent some money.

12 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Norwell and sitton. The way things are looking we need to address oline in free agency. This is a weak group of tackles in the draft. It's hard to trust any other lineman outside of Nelson in the draft. Maybe Wynn but he'll be gone by our 2nd pick. Why chance it, just hit it hard in free agency. 

If that's all the colts did in FA I would be content.

- Andrew Norwell

- Justin Pugh/Josh Sitton

- Alex Okafor 

- Cameron Fleming 

- Marquis Lee/Paul Richardson/Allen Robinson 

- Anthony Hitchens/Avery Williamson 

- Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead/Todd Davis or Korey Toomer

- EJ Gaines/Kyle Fuller

Obviously not all, but a few of these guys would be nice and would set us up well for the draft. 

We have to get 2 atleast from this list

Allen Robinson/Sammy Watkins/Paul Richardson

Zach Fulton/Cameron Fleming/Andrew Norwell

Anthony Hitchens/Avery Williamson/Nigel Bradham

Trumaine Johnson/Rashaan Melvin

Burton/Eifert

Vinny Curry

27 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

All GM's say that. It's in the GM handbook on what to say when speaking in public lol.

Besides, we have way too many needs to address jusy in the draft.

Just on Offense we need :

a couple Guards and OT would be nice too.

3 or more WR's. We only currently have 2 (TY and Rogers) that have ever caught a nfl pass. I expect 2 in FA and 1 in draft.

At least 1 top RB to pair up with Mack.

A receiving TE for Reich would be nice. Incase Doyle gets injured and dependong on Swope is risky.

Thats 6 to 8 players just on Offense!

How many needed on Defense???

5 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Bott,  I trust your perspicacity. Could we find some more Value in lower profile  FA?

I havnt paid much attention to FA this year, but....Ballard did reportedly go after Poe and Jeffery and did sign Hankins, so I wouldn't be shocked if tried to land Norwell.

i definitely think there is some value with offensive guys like RB Jared McKinnon, G Josh Sitton and maybe a WR like Jordan Mathews.

defensively, i expect him to upgrade the linebackers., but that's about it. No new names to add there....hitchens, bradham, etc...

I just hope Ballard is serious about fixing our OL and gets Norwell.  If we lose Norwell he should get Pugh.  If they don't get tagged we should sign Watkins and Fuller.  Fleming, Fulton and Hitchens should be added along with Hyde and Burton.  I can see us trading for Landry in addition to signing Watkins.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

The talent is there. I worry about his injury history though. 

The Bills traded him, and now the Rams might let him walk out the door. 

That’s exactly why it makes sense : Low risk/high reward. 

He’s 24 and struggled with bad QB play/injuries/continuity.

Give him a 1 or 2 year deal and a QB like Luck and see if he can fulfill the hype. If not, no harm , no foul.

He has every reason to be motivated , let’s provide that platform. 

3 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Way too harsh. 

Maybe. But even in college his main strength was running a bunch of slant routes and out athlete-ing the defense.  He always looked like rb who transitioned to WR to me.

43 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The new tavon Austin.  He isn't going to live up to his draft status....just an ok player.

I don't think that's an appropriate comparison. I always thought Tavon Austin hadn't lived up to his draft position because he was severely over-drafted and isn't all that good of a WR, just a gadget guy.

Watkins is a really good WR, just a bit injury prone. If we could get him on a reasonable contract, I would be all in. See if Rusty Jones can work his magic to help Watkins avoid injuries..

7 minutes ago, Trueman said:

That’s exactly why it makes sense : Low risk/high reward. 

He’s 24 and struggled with bad QB play/injuries/continuity.

Give him a 1/2 year deal and a QB like Luck and see if he can fulfill the hype. If not, no harm , no foul.

He has every reason to be motivated , let’s provide that platform. 

Sometimes it works out well. Really not a lot to lose.As long as he is not a bad locker room guy.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Maybe. But even in college his main strength was running a bunch of slant routes and out athlete-ing the defense.  He always looked like rb who transitioned to WR to me.

Yeah , but at least he fits the prototype. I think there’s talent in him , I watch more Bills games than I probably should. That was an awful fit for him. 

I don’t even know what the hell Tavon Austin is. He should just go to the Patriots before it’s too late, maybe they could figure a way to use him.

58 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He said that last year too and signed 12+ free agents. I think he will be selective and not afraid to go after someone he wants.

46 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Didn't he say that last yr too?  He went out and spent some money.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

All GM's say that. It's in the GM handbook on what to say when speaking in public lol.

Besides, we have way too many needs to address jusy in the draft.

Just on Offense we need :

a couple Guards and OT would be nice too.

3 or more WR's. We only currently have 2 (TY and Rogers) that have ever caught a nfl pass. I expect 2 in FA and 1 in draft.

At least 1 top RB to pair up with Mack.

A receiving TE for Reich would be nice. Incase Doyle gets injured and dependong on Swope is risky.

Thats 6 to 8 players just on Offense!

How many needed on Defense???

I didnt say we wouldn't sign free agents. We will have to just to be able to fill the roster and to meet the requirements of minimum salary cap. We will definitely sign players. My point was I think as fans we are going to be disappointed when the Colts don't go after players like Norwell, Robinson, Watkins or any of the bigger name free agents. We did sign free agents last season but none that anyone would really say were major signings. I would love for us to sign some big name players, but I just don't see that happening.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't think that's an appropriate comparison. I always thought Tavon Austin hadn't lived up to his draft position because he was severely over-drafted and isn't all that good of a WR, just a gadget guy.

Watkins is a really good WR, just a bit injury prone. If we could get him on a reasonable contract, I would be all in. See if Rusty Jones can work his magic to help Watkins avoid injuries..

I think Watkins is a better player than Austin, but I don't think he ever live up to that draft status and especially that trade.

1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I didnt say we wouldn't sign free agents. We will have to just to be able to fill the roster and to meet the requirements of minimum salary cap. We will definitely sign players. My point was I think as fans we are going to be disappointed when the Colts don't go after players like Norwell, Robinson, Watkins or any of the bigger name free agents. We did sign free agents last season but none that anyone would really say were major signings. I would love for us to sign some big name players, but I just don't see that happening.

I think Hankins was a near major signing.  But for the most part, I agree.  They only big name I see Ballard going after is Norwell....and he's only a big name to die hard NFL fans lol.

Just now, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

To be fair, we did go after a handful of top free agents (we were linked to Zeitler, Jeffery, Poe and Hightower just off the top of my head) but we came up short getting them to sign here. I dont expect a ton of top free agents to end up here, but I expect Ballard to at least make a run at some of them. 

Watkins did pretty well his first 2 years, considering EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, and Tyrod Taylor were his QB's.

Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece
Year Tm G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng Y/G Ctch%
2014 BUF 16 16 128 65 982 15.1 6 84 61.4 50.8%
2015 BUF 13 13 96 60 1047 17.5 9 63 80.5 62.5%
2016 BUF 8 8 52 28 430 15.4 2 62 53.8 53.8%
2017 LAR 15 14 70 39 593 15.2 8 67 39.5 55.7%

17 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Sometimes it works out well. Really not a lot to lose.As long as he is not a bad locker room guy.

Yeah it’s hard to say. He had at least one incident where he compliained about not getting the ball. But his QB was Tyrod who was coached by Rex. I mean....

He doesn’t have to be a fantastic teammate, he just has to be motivated. If he wants to live up to the hype , I think giving him a QB like Luck and a clear path to a starting role might be an enticing proposition.

His skill set compliments T.Y as well. Theoretically, he’d give us a look we haven’t had. We haven’t really had that physical specimen type at WR. The red-zone benefits alone, might make it worth it.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Watkins did pretty well his first 2 years, considering EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton, and Tyrod Taylor were his QB's.

Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece
Year Tm G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng Y/G Ctch%
2014 BUF 16 16 128 65 982 15.1 6 84 61.4 50.8%
2015 BUF 13 13 96 60 1047 17.5 9 63 80.5 62.5%
2016 BUF 8 8 52 28 430 15.4 2 62 53.8 53.8%
2017 LAR 15 14 70 39 593 15.2 8 67 39.5 55.7%

Fair point

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

To be fair, we did go after a handful of top free agents (we were linked to Zeitler, Jeffery, Poe and Hightower just off the top of my head) but we came up short getting them to sign here. I dont expect a ton of top free agents to end up here, but I expect Ballard to at least make a run at some of them. 

Fair point. I just don't see Ballard being a guy who gets into bidding wars over players. I believe he will go in with an established number he is willing to spend on a guy and not go a dime over it. Because of that, I think that will keep us from signing some of the bigger name guys who more often than not get teams into bidding wars. This may not be pleasant for a season or two as it seems like we are being rejected but in the long run we won't be saddled with bad contracts and high cap hits. I trust Ballard. I just think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed when  we aren't signing big name free agents.