Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which WR should we target in draft

I heard that this draft has the most tall receivers ever. It is a new trend. There will be someone, even in the 4th round.

I'm still hoping we give Moncrief one more try with new coaches and back with Andrew.

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Anthony Miller if he's available in the 2nd and we don't get help at WR in FA. He might not have the size but catches everything (10 inch hands). He's got speed and can run the whole route tree. 

Reminds me of Steve Smith

3 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I heard that this draft has the most tall receivers ever. It is a new trend. There will be someone, even in the 4th round.

I'm still hoping we give Moncrief one more try with new coaches and back with Andrew.

I agree. We should give him one more year to improve consistency.

11 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Anthony Miller if he's available in the 2nd and we don't get help at WR in FA. He might not have the size but catches everything (10 inch hands). He's got speed and can run the whole route tree. 

I'll pound the table for that kid.  If he was 6'2" he'd be a lock for a first round pick if you ask me, assuming of course his ankle injury isn't terribly serious.  I couldn't help but love the kid.

11 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Allen Lazard, Simmie Cobbs. 

I would like Lazard at TE. IMO he would be a upgrade over Doyle. Not saying Doyle is bad because I think he's a really good balanced TE but I would like more speed at the TE position. 

4 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Ok IndyScribe brought up Lazard and now my wheels are turning. How would everyone feel if we drafted him as TE to battle Doyle for the #1 spot ?

IF Ballard can get a good trade back that nets a couple extra picks, I could see grabbing an upside TE to compete with Doyle. I really like Swoope, but he is a question mark at this point...and there are lots of good TEs in this draft (like last draft).

I also read somewhere about Jalen Hurd entering the draft as a TE. Sounds like Ballard would be all over that as an UDFA.

It really depends on what they are looking for in a WR. There are several big WRs in this draft...but there are also some good shifty WRs as well.

If I had to choose one (assuming that both Ridley and Sutton aren't options), it would be Christian Kirk. He isn't a big WR...but he is a YAC machine. I don't know why...but I have a similar feeling about Kirk that I did about Kamara at RB last year. He is going to be a stud. And he should be available on day two. Yet another reason I really want the Colts to somehow get a couple extra day two picks.

If I had to a more traditional big WR, I really like James Washington.

I really like Dante Pettis so far. Fantastic route runner, can play outside or in the slot, and would be an amazing possession WR. I also like Gallup from CO State.

For the size/speed type of guy, I like Jaleel Scoot out of NM State. Needs some technical refinement with getting pressed and things like that, but a solid Day 3 WR that could develop into a special WR.

4 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Yeah he has butterfingers sometimes 

His problem seems to be more mental than anything else. His drops are more concentration-based than ability and he has had a lot of false start penalties, especially when he's lined up against bigger, stronger press corners that visibly frustrate him. That tells me that corners get into his head easily.

I put this in another thread,  but it belongs here as well....

In the last 24 hours I read a quote from an unnamed NFL exec that basically said this....

The WR class is OK in rounds 3-7.        Think about that for a minute...

Nothing much to talk about in rounds 1 and 2.        Holy Cow!

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I put this in another thread,  but it belongs here as well....

In the last 24 hours I read a quote from an unnamed NFL exec that basically said this....

The WR class is OK in rounds 3-7.        Think about that for a minute...

Nothing much to talk about in rounds 1 and 2.        Holy Cow!

Wasn't Antonio Brown drafted in the 5th? I'll take that any day.

Just now, SolidGold said:

Wasn't Antonio Brown drafted in the 5th? I'll take that any day.

I think Brown was actually drafted in the 6th round.    But the point is....    you can't expect that.

Has there been another Antonio Brown in the 6th round since then?     No. 

That's like saying there's no reason to draft a QB in the first round because Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round.

This is as poor a WR class as I've seen in the 50 years that I've followed the draft.      Not saying there's no talent....

But there's basically no one special and very few quality players for the top two rounds.....      not good.

4 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'd prefer to get a wr in FA. Not a great class by any means. Would rather spend those last round picks adding more young talent to the Defense, especially if they decide to go RB or Oline in the first.

Thank you!

I've been saying this for months.....   

We can find some good (but not great)  WR's in FA.        We need to focus the draft mostly on defense, with a few picks going to offense.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you!

We can find some good (but not great)  WR's in FA.        We need to focus the draft mostly on defense, with a few picks going to offense.

I think though as you said, this is not a great class in rounds 1-2, but I think that there are some decent big bodied receivers in rounds 4 and 5 that could be a solid WR3 option. 

Say sign a player like Richardson in the FA with his speed and make-you-miss ability, and balance your receiver core with a big player like Auden Tate or Equanimeous St. Brown on the outside. That would be a solid enough receiver core with Hilton and Rogers for Luck to work with next season.

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think though as you said, this is not a great class in rounds 1-2, but I think that there are some decent big bodied receivers in rounds 4 and 5 that could be a solid WR3 option. 

Say sign a player like Richardson in the FA with his speed and make-you-miss ability, and balance your receiver core with a big player like Auden Tate or Equanimeous St. Brown on the outside. That would be a solid enough receiver core with Hilton and Rogers for Luck to work with next season.

That's all fair....   but here's the deal about rookie WRs...    they rarely contribute much in their first year.    They often need a year or two to figure things out.

I'd like veterans to help out Luck..

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you!

FA is what I've been thinking also. Looking at what the Eagles did last year picking up Torrey Smith and Alshon. Smith is available again but not sure if I want him. If we can't get anything done with Allen Robinson and we probably wont. You may not agree with me, but I keep staying stuck on Terrell Pryor as a cheap pickup option. Im not sure what happened in Washington as the #1 guy, but i think he could fulfill a lesser role. Feel like he could do something with Luck. Definitely a burner and I love the length. Could see some nice trick plays with his QB background.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

FA is what I've been thinking also. Looking at what the Eagles did last year picking up Torrey Smith and Alshon. Smith is available again but not sure if I want him. If we can't get anything done with Allen Robinson and we probably wont. You may not agree with me, but I keep staying stuck on Terrell Pryor as a cheap pickup. Im not sure what happened in Washington as the #1 guy, but i think he could fulfill a lesser role. Feel like he could do something with Luck. Definitely a burner and I love the length. Could see some nice trick plays with his QB background.

He's trash

5 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

He's trash

Not really in a lesser role. He wasn't trash when he had that 1000 yard season. You're talking as a #1. I think he could play a role. Doesnt have to be the only pickup.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Not really in a lesser role. He wasn't trash when he had that 1000 yard season. You're talking as a #1. I think he could play a role. Doesnt have to be the only pickup.

And that was with a nobody at QB with not much other supporting cast.

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

FA is what I've been thinking also. Looking at what the Eagles did last year picking up Torrey Smith and Alshon. Smith is available again but not sure if I want him. If we can't get anything done with Allen Robinson and we probably wont. You may not agree with me, but I keep staying stuck on Terrell Pryor as a cheap pickup option. Im not sure what happened in Washington as the #1 guy, but i think he could fulfill a lesser role. Feel like he could do something with Luck. Definitely a burner and I love the length. Could see some nice trick plays with his QB background.

I have some limited interest in Pryor,  but he scares me.     How is it he could not get a connection going with Kirk Cousins?      My worry is if he couldn't connect with him,  will he be able to connect with Luck?    I don't know.....

There are a bunch of mid-level guys...   Lee and Richardson and a few others...    and a few others who are less known that might be ready to bloom and turn into something...      I'll post more about that before FA starts....

But I'm hoping to find solid vets who can step in right away and make plays....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have some limited interest in Pryor,  but he scares me.     How is it he could not get a connection going with Kirk Cousins?      My worry is if he couldn't connect with him,  will he be able to connect with Luck?    I don't know.....

There are a bunch of mid-level guys...   Lee and Richardson and a few others...    and a few others who are less known that might be ready to bloom and turn into something...      I'll post more about that before FA starts....

I think we could a lot of different things with Pryor. He might just be worth the deal to use him in trick plays

Just now, HectorRoberts said:

I think we could a lot of different things with Pryor. He might just be worth the deal to use him in trick plays

That's what Washington thought too....

And now they're letting him walk out the door.....       why is that?

Target:

equanimeous st. Brown (looks like a raw Aj green).

dj moore - reminds me of Percy Hardin as a player. Great after the catch. 

Dante Pettis - really smooth route runner who can threaten deep and intermediate. Inconsistent in traffic. 

antonio callaway - off field concerns and hamstrung by bad qb play but might have been best WR in SEC if he wasn’t suspended. Dynamic playmaker. 

Anthony miller - smooth with big hands. Dominated at memphis. 

Marcell Ateman. Big bodied wr (6ft 4) who drops weight well and makes sharp cuts. Injuries in past are concerns. Small hands for his size.

Don’t target:

Simmie Cobb - can’t separate

allen Lazard - can’t separate

christian Kirk - hype job. Shut down by better corners

courtland sutton - hype job . Struggles to separate and does not consistently come down with the ball in tight coverage

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good questions for sure.  I'll try to do a little digging, but I feel like he's one of the guys we should take a good look at bringing in.  I think he can do some things to help get TY open more often.  Big target with the Randy Moss speed.  Plus we have to remember he hasn't been a WR all that long.  Maybe that was part of it in Washington I don't know.  I think he's got enough explosive traits that it's worth a shot in some capacity.