Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tavon Austin

oldunclemark

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

..Rams said be about to trade or release him...What happened here. ?

The 8th overall pick 5 years ago

I cant believe he's no good. I'd sign him and take a chance. He's 27

He's done little to prove you right.

Perhaps the Pats will try out another 1st round WR.

Got a new deal a few years back and it wasn't deserved then, and the Rams are cutting their loses.

He's a good return guy,  but a very poor WR.    Runs a limited route tree, and the routes he doees run are poor,  and he's got nothing more than average hands at best.

The Rams have so made so many draft mistakes and he's just another one.....

20 hours ago, buccolts said:

He's done little to prove you right.

Perhaps the Pats will try out another 1st round WR.

In the interest of full discolusre, he would be cut or traded because he's got $8 million on his paycheck next season

'

He wasn't used last year when the Rams' new co-ordinatior came in.

But before that, he averaged 45 catches a year for 4 years..

If he's willing to play for $4 mil, I'd call him up.

5 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Sigh...

Why do we always get these kinds of threads.

The answer is no. The Colts should not sign him.

Nobody suggested the Colts sign him, IS.....you may be a little confused there..

Colts don't need him....but I'd bet he can still play.

Id give him $2 mil just to run back kicks

On 3/1/2018 at 6:46 PM, oldunclemark said:

..Rams said be about to trade or release him...What happened here. ?

The 8th overall pick 5 years ago

I cant believe he's no good. I'd sign him and take a chance. He's 27

I would too.  I don't agree with the others in this thread.  The Rams haven't had any receivers perform well for that matter and most of it was due to bad QB play.   I'd give him another shot for sure as long as the money is right. 

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Just because he's being cut or traded doesn't mean he cant play though, right?

Some of these same people were giving these same kind of remarks when we brought in Mingo and Margus Hunt(former high round busts) and they both played a lot better than we expected.   Most definitely I think the same could happen with Austin and maybe even better.  Sometimes it takes a change of environment. Let the guy compete and show what he's got.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Just because he's being cut or traded doesn't mean he cant play though, right?

There’s a reason he can’t get on the field while rookies are playing over him. He’s 5’8 180 lbs. Think Dorsett but smaller, shorter and not as good. And on top of that he’s getting $10 million/year the next 2 years. Idk about you but I’m not willing to pay that kind of money AND trade for him given his track record solely based off of where he was picked 5 years ago lol. 

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

There’s a reason he can’t get on the field while rookies are playing over him. He’s 5’8 180 lbs. Think Dorsett but smaller, shorter and not as good. And on top of that he’s getting $10 million/year the next 2 years. Idk about you but I’m not willing to pay that kind of money AND trade for him given his track record solely based off of where he was picked 5 years ago lol. 

L-4;

What do you mean 'that kind of money"?

The coach and co-ordinator changed on him and they had no use for him at $8 mil.

If he wasn't making that much, they wouldn't be cutting him

If he's released, you only have to pay him what you want to pay him.

He averaged 45 catches a year before last year,

That's worth a one year 'prove it' deal.  How can you lose?

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Got a new deal a few years back and it wasn't deserved then, and the Rams are cutting their loses.

He's a good return guy,  but a very poor WR.    Runs a limited route tree, and the routes he doees run are poor,  and he's got nothing more than average hands at best.

The Rams have so made so many draft mistakes and he's just another one.....

again.....look at the numbers he put up in his first 4 years .receiving and rushing and returning.

...........He really wasn't a mistake

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

L-4;

What do you mean 'that kind of money"?

The coach and co-ordinator changed on him and they had no use for him at $8 mil.

If he wasn't making that much, they wouldn't be cutting him

If he's released, you only have to pay him what you want to pay him.

He averaged 45 catches a year before last year,

That's worth a one year 'prove it' deal.  How can you lose?

Well as of now they are trying to trade him. If we trade for him then we get him on his current contract. I’m all for signing him as a depth guy for cheap, but I don’t expect him to actually produce.

33 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Well as of now they are trying to trade him. If we trade for him then we get him on his current contract. I’m all for signing him as a depth guy for cheap, but I don’t expect him to actually produce.

Nobodys paying him $8 mil

They need to release him..so you wait until they do.

You know how it works.   

again...look at his first four seasons ..that's the 'production' you would get

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

again.....look at the numbers he put up in his first 4 years .receiving and rushing and returning.

...........He really wasn't a mistake

OK....     I'm going to post his numbers that you're defending.     Because I don't see how you or anyone would defend them.   The Rams actually traded UP to take Austin 8th overall.

And here's what he's delivered

Year           Rec          Yards      Avg       TDs

2013           40            418        10.5         4

2014           31            242          7.8         0

2015           52            473          9.1         5

2016           58            509          8.8         3

2017           13              47          3.6         0

These are the numbers.     Personally,    I don't see one season that I'd be happy with.     Austin was never good.   Not in any year.     He struggled to average 10 yards a reception.    Even BEFORE this disasterous last season,  his career average per catch was under 10.      So...   not enough catches,   for not enough yards,   and not enough touchdowns.

He wasn't a bad pick,   he was Grigson-level bad.    A bust.     The Rams only gave him an extension to try and drum up excitement moving to Los Angeles.     People here wondered why the Rams did what they did.    A bad decisoin to draft him so high,  and a worse decision to give him a second contract.     Now,  the Rams are just cutting their losses.

I'm honestly not sure what you're defending......

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Yep. Tavon Austin isn't good.

13 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Yep. Tavon Austin isn't good.

Thank you! Finally someone with a level head lol. Every year there is a player that was drafted top 5 X number of years ago, then everybody wants us to go after him like we are getting an elite talent lol. Sean McVay is a great offensive coach and if he can’t get anything out of him idk if anybody can. 

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody suggested the Colts sign him, IS.....you may be a little confused there..

Colts don't need him....but I'd bet he can still play.

Id give him $2 mil just to run back kicks

Actually Colts currently only have 2 WR's on roster that have ever caught a NFL pass. And one of them is Chester Rogers.

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Lol can you really blame him..his coach was fisher and he has no qb pretty much besides this previous year..but the concerning part is that mcvay had no use for him in his offense..

Yeah, playing for the Rams in those years was almost like playing for the Browns. Hard to put up stats. Didn't Gurley complain that their offense resembled a High School offense?

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah, playing for the Rams in those years was almost like playing for the Browns. Hard to put up stats. Didn't Gurley complain that their offense resembled a High School offense?

Throw him slants..crossing routes or go route on play action guarantee he’s burning whoever’s trailing him..him catching the ball after he beats them I can’t speak for lmao but I know he can get open