Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Marvez] Colts will hire Tom Rathman as RBs coach

stitches

49 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Care to add anything to this? 

I'm not saying they hired him because of Gore. I'm saying there's a couple more Gore fans in the building, which makes the decision more complex. 

It really does not add any layers of complexity to the decision.

As a Nebraska fan, the past 15 years have been pretty dismal with lots of coaching changes. Every time a change has been made, a bunch of fans have wondered if there was any chance of Rathman coming home. While alums always promote former players, I think this was much different. Rathman was seen as a great coach, but one whose family ties (and perhaps a preference for coaching pros) kept him in CA — except for the brief period that he followed Mariuccci to Detroit. Now that his kids are grown I suspect that is why he was available.

Why did Nebraska fans like him so much? Probably because he was regarded as tough as nails and a hard worker. No wonder Gore would like him. The Gore connection is interesting but I don’t think it should be the main news about this hire.

38 minutes ago, azcolt said:

As a Nebraska fan, the past 15 years have been pretty dismal with lots of coaching changes. Every time a change has been made, a bunch of fans have wondered if there was any chance of Rathman coming home. While alums always promote former players, I think this was much different. Rathman was seen as a great coach, but one whose family ties (and perhaps a preference for coaching pros) kept him in CA — except for the brief period that he followed Mariuccci to Detroit. Now that his kids are grown I suspect that is why he was available.

Why did Nebraska fans like him so much? Probably because he was regarded as tough as nails and a hard worker. No wonder Gore would like him. The Gore connection is interesting but I don’t think it should be the main news about this hire.

The other reason was that KS has his own RB coach

Absolutely love this hire. I just hope it doesn't mean we keep Gore and pass up this solid draft class of RB's. If we sign Hyde in FA like it's said on here, and draft a mid-round back to go along with Mack. The RB position could go from a position of weakness to a position of strength by the time the season starts.

BTW, part of me feels giddy with excitement on this hire if we do get Barkley. If you weren't excited about the possibility of Barkley before, you should now. I'm even higher on Barkley as the pick than before. I'm now saying with Tom Rathman as the RB coach, if Barkley is there at 3, take him no questions asked. Don't even trade down.

16 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Care to add anything to this? 

I'm not saying they hired him because of Gore. I'm saying there's a couple more Gore fans in the building, which makes the decision more complex. 

I can elaborate more about it. Rathman’s coming here has absolutely nothing to do with a Gore return. As for D. Pederson’s Eagles inquiring about Gore two seasons ago has zero bearing on a return. I like Gore, but he averaged 60 YPG the past couple of seasons and is 34 now. Gore’s not a starting caliber RB anymore, time turn the page and find an impact RB to rotate with Mack. The Colts lack talent everywhere including RB, as a lot of folks on this board wouldn’t mind taking Barkley is proof. Kind of pointless thread anyways as it’s highly doubtful he’ll be back. 

On February 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM, krunk said:

if we get Hyde I'm going to take it that Barkley wont be the pick.

Is Hyde a realistic possibility? Getting him I mean? I always liked that kid. Don't tease me now. LOL! 

Isn't Carlos like 27 though? Not young in RB yrs unfortunately. Carlos is exciting to watch though. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I believe so

I know a lot of people thought I was insane for wanting Barkley so bad. It's fine. I can take the heat.

If we do get Hyde & go another direction at #3, I'll roll with it & accept Hyde with open arms. Carlos moves well & has great vision. 

On 2/28/2018 at 11:22 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Absolutely love this hire. I just hope it doesn't mean we keep Gore and pass up this solid draft class of RB's. If we sign Hyde in FA like it's said on here, and draft a mid-round back to go along with Mack. The RB position could go from a position of weakness to a position of strength by the time the season starts.

BTW, part of me feels giddy with excitement on this hire if we do get Barkley. If you weren't excited about the possibility of Barkley before, you should now. I'm even higher on Barkley as the pick than before. I'm now saying with Tom Rathman as the RB coach, if Barkley is there at 3, take him no questions asked. Don't even trade down.

I hate that everyone thinks we need Barkley to solve the rb problem. I also think maybe one of the top five rb prospects will probably still be there early in the second.