Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There's only 3 players I would consider in 1st

Saquon Barkley 

This guy is once in a lifetime talent. He's head and shoulders above any prospect in this draft as far as playmaking abilities and has the ability to dominate at the next level for 10+ years!

Quenton Nelson

What a BEAST! Colts have been lacking solid talent up front for what seems like forever. His ability to change direction and cover blitzes is nothing short of amazing and is exactly what the Colts need. 

Tremaine Edmunds 

By far the best LB in the draft and yes that includes Chubb. His ability to play sideline to sideline is something we need desperately after switching to the 43 Defense. What do I like most about Edmunds though?  His age: 19

Just now, Luck 4 president said:

So you only think there are 3 players who are worthy of a 1st round pick?? I think you meant with the 3rd pick, which we will likely trade away Lol. And Chubb isn’t a LB. he’s a DE.

The 43 shift helps his chances of being drafted but wouldn't be too happy if he's taken over anyone on my list. 

Yes I agree with you, Tremaine Edmunds > Chubb. I don't see why everyone seems to be so dismissive of him at #3. He has rare size @ 6'5 250lbs & the bloodlines. I just can't wait to see his 40 time; it'll be crucial to his draft stock. Plus our glaring need for really any linebackers is so obvious I don't know why that wouldn't make it's way to the top of our draft board if there's no true OT worth that high of a pick (there isn't sadly) & we have 2-3 DE potentially in Sheard, Bashaam, & Simon, so Chubb wouldn't even fill the biggest need we have on defense. 

I truly hope Edmunds kills the Combine + interviews with us & forces us to take him. 

7 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

You'd be a foot not to consider Chubb with our first pick, let alone in the first round.

And with everyday that passes, I feel Tremaine Edmunds is getting more and more overrated.

In what way do you see Edmunds is overrated? To me he's definitely worthy of taking him at 3.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Saquon Barkley 

This guy is once in a lifetime talent. He's head and shoulders above any prospect in this draft as far as playmaking abilities and has the ability to dominate at the next level for 10+ years!

Quenton Nelson

What a BEAST! Colts have been lacking solid talent up front for what seems like forever. His ability to change direction and cover blitzes is nothing short of amazing and is exactly what the Colts need. 

Tremaine Edmunds 

By far the best LB in the draft and yes that includes Chubb. His ability to play sideline to sideline is something we need desperately after switching to the 43 Defense. What do I like most about Edmunds though?  His age: 19

I don't know why you're comparing Edmunds to Chubb.    One is a linebacker and it's not even clear if he plays ILB or OLB.

Chubb is a DE who many think can play OLB if that's what a team plays.

This is not an Apples to Apples comparison.

As to Barkley...  let's not get carried away with a "once in a lifetime talent."

He's great...   but in the last three years we've seen Fournette, Elliott and Gurley come into the league.   Even if Barkley is better than all of them, the once in a lifetime comment is a Bridge Way Too Far...

One NFL draft expert said Barkley was the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. Another, Gil Brandt, went a step further, saying Barkley was the best since Barry Sanders nearly 30 years ago.

Fournette, Elliott, and Gurley were all highly-touted backs, but Barkley is simply on another level as a prospect. Barkley living up to his hype, coupled with Luck returning from injury, gives us the building blocks for an unstoppable offense, which is what wins Super Bowls these days.

Re: Edmunds ... from a draft profile on him :

WEAKNESSES

Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts. Can be a step slow to diagnose. Lured by misdirection. Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire. Patience is lacking. Races ahead of plays and voids his leverage and run fits at times. Needs to add more upper and lower body strength. Average base strength and high center of gravity create issues holding up at the point of attack. Needs to be quicker to punch in order to maintain clearance. Mental busts in man coverage hurt his team. Takes time to process moving pieces.

Then in the bottom line comments on him, there’s this ... Edmunds will make mental mistakes and his instincts are subpar,

In reading about him, he sounds like an immensely gifted physical specimen, but that he has questionable football instincts.  I’d rather have a guy with great football instincts.  The purely physically gifted types seem to always disappoint.

Somehow I think I’d prefer a LB that has this to be said about him ... 

STRENGTHS

Former high school wideout with elite athletic ability. Speed demon who walks down backs looking to race him to the corner. Fluid and explosive in space. Block-slipper. Praised by his head coach as being a "tremendous leader" who holds himself accountable. Has instincts and football intelligence. Laser-sharp focus to finds the football when sifting through zone reads and jet sweeps. Plays with discipline. Senses when running backs are prepping for screen and fires downhill to stop it. Face-up tackler who sticks his nose in noise. Rare stop-start and change of direction talent. Flips pursuit from one target to the next seamlessly. Gets early bail into coverage against play-fake. Able to mirror and match against the most athletic running backs in coverage. Gets early jumps to join crossing routes and has the speed to carry them across the field. Searches out and squeezes receivers when playing zone.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say grab a RB in FA and not worry about Barkley at all.  He looks impressive but I would go another way with our 1st.  I am all for trading down a few spots but if we stay I just see Chubb being the no-brainer (assuming he is there). 

What RBs are available? Remember we need a starter!

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

What RBs are available? Remember we need a starter!

You can get guys on a 3 year deal for not to much money that will be just fine.  And we will have a running game by committee so the "starter" aspect you mentioned is not correct.  We just need a bruiser to run the rock about 180 to 200 times.  Get Mack the ball a little more and you still can use Turbin with short yards.

39 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

hows it a wasted pick if hes the best player in the draft and we need a rb?! smh

When there are good backs that will be available later yeah it's a big waste. Who says he is the best player some talking heads? Big deal Trent Richardson was supposed to be the next greatest RB out of college they sure got that one right. 

17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Saquon Barkley 

Quenton Nelson

Tremaine Edmunds 

Love Barkley. The game videos I've seen of Edmunds shows he's big, strong, quick and fast; but it also shows he guesses and doesn't see the ball a lot --- at least, it looks that way. Love Nelson; the only knock is he's a guard. You build around tackles; not that often around guards. 

I was really impressed with Marcus Davenport too; he's still figuring out the game, but he looks like he could play with more weight and he was really good in game videos and the Senior Bowl. 

16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

In what way do you see Edmunds is overrated? To me he's definitely worthy of taking him at 3.

I'm not trying to say that Edmunds won't be a good player or that he isn't worth being a first round pick or anything. He definitely has the ability to be an all-pro. However, I see more of an all-pro athlete than an all-pro player. It takes more than athleticism to be a great player in the NFL. He needs to improve instincts, IQ, and leadership on the field.

He is a young kid and working with the right coaches can definitely help him fulfill his potential, but I still think Roquan Smith will be the better pro.

I was fine when he was projected in the middle of the first round, but then he started getting projected in the top ten, and then the top 5, now we're talking about top 3. I think that is going overboard when you have players like Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson in the same draft class.

9 hours ago, King! said:

I feel like your just a Saquon Barkley hater.

But if he was drafted by the Colts and killing it on the field, you would be his #1 fan boy.

That's not a fair statement of anyone here.  We are all fans of the team.  No matter if we liked the pick or hated it when it was made we all obviously hope that they are successful because their success is the team's success.

I hated the Philip Dorsett pick because I thought it was a bad pick and I was proven right.  But right after we picked him I was hoping he'd put up 1500 yards a season.   

I don't think Barkley would be the right pick.  But if he's the one we pick then I hope he rushes for 2000 yards every season.  

Not wrong to oppose a pick when it's made but after it's made hope the player does well.  Not doing so would make you not a fan of the colts but only a fan of your preferred guys.