Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles want to keep John DeFilippo (make him their OC)

1959Colts

It says here the Eagles would like us to take Reich, so they can promote DeFilippo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/07/eagles-seem-to-be-trying-to-find-a-way-to-keep-defilippo/

Eagles seem to be trying to find a way to keep DeFilippo

...DeFilippo, as of next week, will be able to go wherever he wants, or to stay where he is. Unless the Eagles are keeping him from interviewing this week for what would be a promotion out of spite, there’s a strategic reason for the recalcitrance. And that reason could be that they hope the extra time will result in the situation breaking their way.

Some in league circles believe that, between offensive coordinator Frank Reich and DeFilippo, the Eagles would rather keep the latter. With Reich’s name emerging as a candidate for the head-coaching job in Indianapolis, Reich getting the gig would solve the problem....

Just now, 1959Colts said:

If we offered him HC we would have a chance.

That would be a heck of a jump.

Anything is possible, and I know a lot of people are high on him...  Up to this point he has been mostly a career quarterbacks coach with only a couple years experience as OC. In my opinion, the next logical step for him is another shot as an OC. 

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

That would be a heck of a jump.

Anything is possible, and I know a lot of people are high on him...  Up to this point he has been mostly a career quarterbacks coach with only a couple years experience as OC. In my opinion, the next logical step for him is another shot as an OC. 

Taking a conservative approach and passing on DeFilippo may be a mistake.

It couldn't hurt to interview,  and maybe they will like what they see?

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Taking a conservative approach and passing on DeFilippo may be a mistake.

It couldn't hurt to interview,  and maybe they will like what they see?

I am not disagreeing. If he is the right guy then I will be all for it. I am just not sure it will happen that way though. 

...It's unclear how serious the Colts were about Baylor coach Matt Rhule.

Other names that could surface in the new search include Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, Saintsassistant head coach/tight ends Dan Campbell, Raiders offensive line coach Tom Cable, Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915201/article/josh-mcdaniels-bailed-on-colts-job-after-meeting-with-patriots?campaign=tw-nf-sf181522197-sf181522197&sf181522197=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Reich for HC with Bevell for OC, is a possibility too. I think Reich is more suited for HC.

I also thought about the fact that DeFilippo, like Matt Nagy, might take the first HC job offer he gets once he does well for a year or two as OC. Bevell, on the other hand, teams have seen enough of him that there might be more stability.

25 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Why would anyone want Defilippo over Reich? One has more experience than the other, and is familiar with our organization. 

What has Defilippo done to inspire such confidence? 

It's been reported the Eagles would prefer to keep DeFilippo over Reich.

Perhaps DeFilippo has better head coaching, leadership, motivational, etc characteristics? 

True, Reich has been around longer, but really... What has Reich done?

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

It sounds like what I've been hearing around the league. DeFillipo is the higher ceiling guy so I'd rather hire him or my dream scenario with what we've been dealt is hiring Jim Schwartz and then he brings on DeFillipo as the new OC since they'll still have Reich. 

Are you prepared to dump our new DC to hire Schwartz?   The two men do NOT run the same defense.

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Perhaps DeFilippo has better head coaching, leadership, motivational, etc characteristics? 

DeFillipo could very well be the potential home run hire over Reich. What I really want is somehow landing him as OC though but not sure how we could manage that. Would love a Reich/DeFillipo combo if that was possible.  

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

As a coordinator.  Nobody said they preferred De Filippo over Reich if they had to choose between the 2 for a head coaching position.  

Check out youtube videos of DeFilippo. The guy is impressive. Also read a lot of positive comments on him from media that have covered him. One guy that covered him from his Raider days says he has the "it" factor. I wish Ballard would interview him but it looks like it will be Reich instead. I think Reich would do well but I'm higher on DeFilippo.