Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Students of Colts history

horseshoecrabs

Please i employ you. as fans of the colts look back at our history. Look at the past super bowls early on as per nfl channel super bowl  repeats  to learn about our history. The building blocks of our past. To be a true student of the game it is a must. Peyton Manning is always saying he is a student of the past and always learning from past history. A true fan will cherish this info and be proud of what we have accomplished. Don't  sell yourself short, no matter  what someone has said in a topic, if you are a true fan your opinion always matters .

You will find some people will always belittle  your insight,  because they are trying to impress in their misguided way their superiority  to make you feel inferior. This might ruffle  some feathers but ,  I truly  believe that  they think that Irsay or  the gm might think they are the voice and they actually will listen  to their comments and conceder only their  voice . No matter  how long you have been a fan in this forum please, don't be intimidated. your comments should not be as a fan belittled. 

8 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Please i employ you. as fans of the colts look back at our history. Look at the past super bowls early on as per nfl channel super bowl  repeats  to learn about our history. The building blocks of our past. To be a true student of the game it is a must. Peyton Manning is always saying he is a student of the past and always learning from past history. A true fan will cherish this info and be proud of what we have accomplished. Don't  sell yourself short, no matter  what someone has said in a topic, if you are a true fan your opinion always matters .

You will find some people will always belittle  your insight,  because they are trying to impress in their misguided way their superiority  to make you feel inferior. This might ruffle  some feathers but ,  I truly  believe that  they think that Irsay or  the gm might think they are the voice and they actually will listen  to their comments and conceder only their  voice . No matter  how long you have been a fan in this forum please, don't be intimidated. your comments should not be as a fan belittled. 

Where's my paycheck?

43 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I'll take some of whatever you're drinking.:headspin:

53 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

:console:

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I was just going to belittle your insight, when I realized, in my misguided way, that I am trying to impress with my superiority.   Nailed it, HC!!!  

I agree that people should feel free to share their insights.  And, while some people are less civil than others, I don't speculate as to why. It doesn't really matter.  There are plenty of people here to talk to. Just ignore the ones you find unpleasant

8 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I have read this three times and still don't understand the point being made.

Am I to go and watch old superbowls or not be intimidated by people having opinions?

50 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Am I to go and watch old superbowls or not be intimidated by people having opinions?

Was wondering the same thing.  

I will say this, Peyton Mannings knowledge and study of the game is what made him so great, no other QB has been like that. Brady included. Niether is Luck.  We truly got to see something special.

I guess in my misguided way over the years you look back and see the times we have won championships, and it's special . The Patriots have changed that feeling by making it the norm.  Just cherish the years we are good. Chances are most of the rest of the NFL will never have the run New England is having.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

By George , I think you got it. but it's watch old Superbowls and not be intimidated by people having opionions.

9 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I guess in my misguided way over the years you look back and see the times we have won championships, and it's special . The Patriots have changed that feeling by making it the norm.  Just cherish the years we are good. Chances are most of the rest of the NFL will never have the run New England is having.

I kind of figured your point was, we should appreciate what we have accomplished with the 5 AFC Title Appearances since 1995, 2 SB Appearances, and SB win here in Indy. It was the way you Posted your point is why many didn't get it. I love our history and think we have had much more Great things happen than Bad things. Throw in our 1970 SB win too when we were in Baltimore for the oldies and we have had a Great franchise. Look at the QB's we have had as well from Unitas to Morrall to Jones to Harbaugh to Peyton to Luck. We have been a QB factory for Greatness!

-The Pats are just not the norm, what they are doing we will never see again with Brady/Belichick.

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I really enjoy the SB victory over the cowboys film.  It was narrated by a legendary voice who I can't think of at the moment. The interception by Curtis late to set up our Championship winning FG was awesome.  I get goosebumps everytime I watch. 

John Facenda. Yes, nobody can match that voice! I watched it last night = the 1970 Season/71 SB win. I guess that sort of made up for loss to the Jets in 1968. Morrall was screwing up a lot in that game. His Turnovers were awful in that one.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

John Facinda. Yes, nobody can match that voice! I watched it last night = the 1970 Season/71 SB win. I guess that sort of made up for loss to the Jets in 1968. Morrall was screwing up a lot in that game. His Turnovers were awful in that one.

After that game, sport's illustrated called it "The Blunder Bowl" on it's cover

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

That Monday at school after the game, I had to eat a lot of crow after, bragging so much before the game. Very humbling  experience.

That sucks! Colts dominated that SB in yardage but made some terrible blunders! Joe Namath is the most overrated QB of all-time IMO, that 1 SB win made his whole career.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think it was also referred to as the 'stuper bowl's somewhere.  

The media never seemed big fans of ours.  Lol

Colts were dominating the 1st Half in Yards but kept turning it over. It was puzzling, then they had Orr wide open for a TD and Morrall throws an INT over the middle for no reason.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

John Facenda. Yes, nobody can match that voice! I watched it last night = the 1970 Season/71 SB win. I guess that sort of made up for loss to the Jets in 1968. Morrall was screwing up a lot in that game. His Turnovers were awful in that one.

Morrall threw that game.  Find the old Bubba Smith interview about it.  Rosenbloom was a known gambler, he obviously had quick access to his QB.  

One day the real story will come out. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts were dominating the 1st Half in Yards but kept turning it over. It was puzzling, then they had Orr wide open for a TD and Morrall throws an INT over the middle for no reason.

That play was puzzling because Orr was the primary receiver on that play and was wide open as you said. So why did he throw it elsewhere? 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We were a 17 point favorite going into that game. I remember that season we were rolling in the playoffs. Shut out the Browns in the Championship game I think it was 34 to 0. Everyone thought it was going to be a cakewalk over the Jets.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Morrall threw that game.  Find the old Bubba Smith interview about it.  Rosenbloom was a known gambler, he obviously had quick access to his QB.  

One day the real story will come out. 

Rumors were the NFL needed the AFC to win so they could be considered a legitimate league and the Two leagues could merge. Shula was supposedly rewarded for throwing the game a cushy job in Miami and have everything his way. Maybe so,  explains why Morral got the start over the greatest qb of all time,  Unitas..... Who knows? 

14 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Is your point that Peyton Manning was great & not to listen to INDY naysayers that prefer to under estimate our Lombardi trophy victory in 2006 & doubt our likelihood of winning another ring under a different field general? 

If so, 99% of the regulars would agree with you. I'm trying to grasp what your driving at? Please elaborate HHC. I swear I am not mocking you. I just feel like your original post is ambiguous at least to me anyway. 

We're all friends here. I'm just trying to figure out your position. That's all. 

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That play was puzzling because Orr was the primary receiver on that play and was wide open as you said. So why did he throw it elsewhere? 

He claimed he didn’t see Orr because of the band waiting to go on the field, or some such nonsense.  They ran that exact same play during the season for a TD. The SB film shows Orr waving his arms for the ball.

Bubba also talks about how they practiced running because they knew the Jets had an undersized DE they could exploit.  The first series they ran right down the field but Morrall threw an int in the endzone.  

Rosenbloom was a shady character, a known gambler.  He drowned under mysterious circumstances.  Rumor was he won a lot of money on that game.  

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Is your point that Peyton Manning was great & not to listen to INDY naysayers that prefer to under estimate our Lombardi trophy victory in 2006 & doubt our likelihood of winning another ring under a different field general? 

If so, 99% of the regulars would agree with you. I'm trying to grasp what your driving at? Please elaborate HHC. I swear I am not mocking you. I just feel like your original post is ambiguous at least to me anyway. 

We're all friends here. I'm just trying to figure out your position. That's all. 

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. In my  round about way I was trying ( miserably) to articulate that we should  cherish our history because not every team has the luxury  to have past glory that we do. And to take a break from all of the tension of the third pick that everyone and his brother has. It will be a process  and  it's easy to speculate who we should pick at this stage. but the fact remains their is still fee agency to go the combine evaluation. and a lot could change. regardless of everyone's perspicacity , the gm, owner, and coach decides our future so we have really no voice regardless of who you think is  the more experienced poster in this forum 

47 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. In my  round about way I was trying ( miserably) to articulate that we should  cherish our history because not every team has the luxury  to have past glory that we do. And to take a break from all of the tension of the third pick that everyone and his brother has. It will be a process  and  it's easy to speculate who we should pick at this stage. but the fact remains their is still fee agency to go the combine evaluation. and a lot could change. regardless of everyone's perspicacity , the gm, owner, and coach decides our future so we have really no voice regardless of who you think is  the more experienced poster in this forum 

We have had a lot of Very Good to Great seasons during the SB era to be thankful for:

While in Baltimore - Made the SB in 1968, Won the SB in 1970

While in Indy - Final 4's 1995/2003/2014, made the SB in 2009, Won the SB in 2006

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have had a lot of Very Good to Great seasons during the SB era to be thankful for:

While in Baltimore - Made the SB in 1968, Won the SB in 1970

While in Indy - Final 4's 1995/2003/2014, made the SB in 2009, Won the SB in 2006

To add to this, I thought the 2004 Season was absolutely entertaining when we went 12-4. That was the season Peyton threw for 49 TD's. We also won a Playoff game by blowing out Denver. The 2012 Season was entertaining too. Luck's Rookie season, where we went 11-5 after going 2-14 the season before. All of those comeback wins we had, like the Green Bay game was priceless. We made the Playoffs and ESPN experts had us winning 5 games going into that season.

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Okay. Thanks for your clarification HSC. I wasn't trying to come across as smug or anything. I remember when I first started posting on the forum & how intimidating it can be as a rookie of sorts. I just wanted to make you feel welcome & not put words in your mouth or take your viewpoint out of context. 

Yes, a lot of the big decisions this franchise makes are out of our hands as fans but like you say or infer, this team is in good hands with a smart owner driven to win more hardware & surround us with more hardware. I love that about Jimmy man. He's always competitive, willing to spend money to us to the Promise Land by surrounding himself with experienced winners who know what the hades it takes to win. Luck will bring us home. Not to mention an improved defense with faster LBs & pass rushers who love to devour QBs like it's their last meal. 

Thanks again for clearing things up HSC. I never slam anybody. I wanna hear new voices; new perspectives. 

Well, I do detest the Cowboys with every fiber of my body. But, other then that I'm nice. LOL!  

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Rumors were the NFL needed the AFC to win so they could be considered a legitimate league and the Two leagues could merge. Shula was supposedly rewarded for throwing the game a cushy job in Miami and have everything his way. Maybe so,  explains why Morral got the start over the greatest qb of all time,  Unitas..... Who knows? 

Unitas and Shula never liked each other. Johnny U was used to doing his own thing and I think Shula took over play-calling. Not putting him in a lot sooner in SB3 when it was obvious Morrall didn't have it or was throwing the game was the last straw. After they went 8-6 or so the next year Rosenbloom decided to let Shula go by not matching what Miami offered. Shula couldn't win a big game to save his life with the Colts. 64 title debacle, SB3, 67 home loss to the Rams, etc. The thing about Morrall in the SB was the play that Orr was wide open in the end zone , he was the first option. Everything about that game stunk with him.