Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilks declines interview, bring on Josh!!

Indeee

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Have the Colts even asked permission to interview Shurmur? I have not seen anything on the Vikings site about the Colts having interest in Shurmur, which is strange. I think Shurmur would be great with Luck. 

I think the new Colts head coach will be McDaniels. It does not look like Wilks will fill any one of the 4 remaining coaching vacancies. I think he would be great with the Giants. 

I like Shurmer to I think either Ballard doesn't like Shurmer or he is already taken another job and league sources inside guys know that  i.e Arizona !

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Exactly, fans are interesting creatures, on one hand we (some of us) harp on Irsay for being less than stellar at public speaking, lack of pressers, or questionable stances (especially regarding the health of a certain QB), etc. and in turn expect the team to be professional, poised, and forthright. However, some fans also expect to know what is going on behind the curtain at all times, almost lamenting the process for lack of information.

You can't really have it both ways & I for one appreciate Ballard's approach. After all, one of the last official reports on the issue was that the whole process would be 'internal'.  So I can definitely appreciate the 'tighter' approach that seems to be in play regardin the way the front office is working & searching for the next HC. It seems the most prudent, especially given the competitive nature of the NFL...

Hearing media types say they aren't hearing 'anything' or getting 'any info' from the Colts FO almost gives me goosebumps, seems like thats how you would want to run things!!!

Yep and what's comical is..... this is exactly how successful programs do it. Keep the bull sun in house and not speak to the media unless it's something of merit

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes it is disconcerting.

But I assume the NFL circles have figured the Colts want McDaniels and are using interviews with other candidates as PR, so other candidates aren't taking the Colts interviews very sincerely.

I just hope that the reason McDaniels would pick the Colts is because we are attractive to him, not because we are his only chance.

Has McDaniels interviewed with other teams?

I believe he has also interviewed with the Giants. 

17 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I believe he has also interviewed with the Giants. 

Since NYG hasn't hired a HC, perhaps they are waiting for NE to end its playoff run.  If the Kraft/Brady thing is real, then maybe BB goes to NYG and Josh takes over NE.

It seems eerily silent that both us and NYG haven't announced.  I'm thinking maybe our situation will depend on what the Giants do.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Since NYG hasn't hired a HC, perhaps they are waiting for NE to end its playoff run.  If the Kraft/Brady thing is real, then maybe BB goes to NYG and Josh takes over NE.

It seems eerily silent that both us and NYG haven't announced.  I'm thinking maybe our situation will depend on what the Giants do.

Highly unlikely hoodie goes to the Giants. Only way that happens is if Kraft fires Hoodie which is NEVER going to happen 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree to a point, if there's any truth to the rumors of discord in NE with Hoodie even considering a move to the Giants (as reports have stated its a position he's always coveted) then putting all of your eggs in the McDaniels basket, could be a bit of a scary notion. Assuming he'd be the leading candidate to go ahead & take over in the case Hoodie moves on to New York...

Just an odd time not knowing what's going on, especially with New England still in the hunt & both McDaniels & Patricia being leading HC candidates...

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Highly unlikely hoodie goes to the Giants. Only way that happens is if Kraft fires Hoodie which is NEVER going to happen 

Yeah its unlikely, but there have been some grumblings & rumors, with some NFL insiders suggesting it as a possibly that Hoody just up & bails...

Sometimes where's smoke there's fire...

Just saying, nothing would surprise me this off season...

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Unless the Giants are waiting on Patricia and the Colts on Josh McDaniels. I don’t think the Hoodie will leave New England this offseason.  However you never know. 

57 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Yeah its unlikely, but there have been some grumblings & rumors, with some NFL insiders suggesting it as a possibly that Hoody just up & bails...

Sometimes where's smoke there's fire...

Just saying, nothing would surprise me this off season...

He can't.... he's under contract. He'd have to be released from New England or retire and wait out his contract 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

He can't.... he's under contract. He'd have to be released from New England or retire and wait out his contract 

Oh yeah, duh...

Well then whatever speculative article or thread (its totally slipping me now where I saw the rumor) was way off base...

Anyways, I guess that means everything I've said on the topic is a mute point, ha., & I suppose that also bodes well for the McDaniels fans as well.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:50 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could be the Colts and McDaniels already have agreed to a deal and we haven't said anything.

A gentleman's agreement, maybe.  not an official one I believe.

On 1/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, Dudley Smith said:

Can a contract be signed by McDaniels prior to NE's playoff run ending so that he is locked up and can't be flirting with other teams (or deciding to stay put)? If not, this would seem to be a very risky move on Ballard's part to take McDaniels at his word that he wants to come coach here and having to wait until after NE is out of the playoffs. NE is more than likely going to be at least in the AFCCG or even the SB. By that point, if he got cold feet or went elsewhere the Colts would be in a very tough spot coaching-wise.

I think McDaniels is probably the best candidate out there so I am all for him being the HC, but I also hope we aren't putting all of our eggs in that basket unless he is guaranteed to be here in the future.

Coach hiring; Who and when they can be interviewed-

Assistant coaches not in the playoffs-
     Teams can request to interview an assistant coach under contract.  If the job is a Head coach position, the team cannot refuse to let the coach interview.  if it is for another assistant coach position of any sort (OC, DC, ST, QB, etc...) the requested team can block the interview if desired.

Assistant coaches with first-round bye in playoffs-
     Teams are also allowed to interview assistant coaches who have a first-round bye in the playoffs  the interview must take place that (bye) week only.  Coaches can decline the interview if it distracts them from preparing for their playoff game(s).

Assistant coach following a win or loss in the Wild Card round-
     If an assistant coach’s team loses in the Wild Card round, the candidate can interview with any team that goes through the proper channels to secure an interview as noted above. If the assistant coach’s team wins, will teams need tpo get approval for an interview, which has to take place before the divisional round.

Interviews after the divisional round-
     No initial interviews can be requested or granted for candidates whose teams are still in the playoffs after the divisional round, i.e. anyone from the four teams vying for a conference championship.

Assistant coach with a team that advances to the Super Bowl-
     Teams are typically only allowed to interview a candidate one time while the candidate’s team is in the playoffs. However, there’s an exception to that rule for teams playing in the Super Bowl thanks to the two-week window between the conference championships and the big game itself.
     If an assistant coach’s team advances to the Super Bowl, teams again need permission to schedule a second interview.
     Once the assistant’s team has arrived to the Super Bowl site, the candidate can’t participate in an interview. The interview must take place the week after the Conference Championship, but before the team travels to the Super Bowl.

HTH.

Kind of a catch 22, isn't it? If the Pats lose tonight, will folks be happy that we can start the process of hiring Josh, or crap all over him because the Pats lost? 

Maybe everyone will be okay if it's a 45-40 kind of loss. :P

On 1/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, Dudley Smith said:

Can a contract be signed by McDaniels prior to NE's playoff run ending so that he is locked up and can't be flirting with other teams (or deciding to stay put)? If not, this would seem to be a very risky move on Ballard's part to take McDaniels at his word that he wants to come coach here and having to wait until after NE is out of the playoffs. NE is more than likely going to be at least in the AFCCG or even the SB. By that point, if he got cold feet or went elsewhere the Colts would be in a very tough spot coaching-wise.

I think McDaniels is probably the best candidate out there so I am all for him being the HC, but I also hope we aren't putting all of our eggs in that basket unless he is guaranteed to be here in the future.

I think a contract can only be signed once the Pats are out of the playoffs. However, Ballard can come to an agreement. I doubt McDaniels would flake from an agreement. From all accounts, he's interested in this job and it would reflect badly on him if he suddenly changes his mind. It could affect his future coaching career.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:56 PM, Carlos Danger said:

There are likely interviews that haven't been reported... Probably with college coaches or even Toub... 

I feel like there's a 25% chance or so that the announcement will take everybody by surprise, due to the new coach being a guy nobody had even known had interviewed...

Just like Chuck!!