Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need Roquon Smith

56 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

After watching him feast in this Rose Bowl game and playing all over the field, I really want Ballard to trade down, get extra draft picks, and select Smith to lead this defense!!

Yes...   we need Smith...    but we don't WANT him.     Sorry, not this year.   And I agree, he's great.

BUT...

He does not play a position that's a difference maker.    He's not a pass rusher, which we need.    He's not a cornerback, which you can never have enough if.   He's not a tough DL to control the line of scrimmage.    To me you take a guy like Smith when he's the last piece of a defensive puzzle.

We're drafting high.   Hopefully we don't be drafting this high again next year.   You want to try and get an impactful player at an impactful position.   And ILB is not that position.   Not for a top 5  or 10 position.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   we need Smith...    but we don't WANT him.     Sorry, not this year.   And I agree, he's great.

BUT...

He does not play a position that's a difference maker.    He's not a pass rusher, which we need.    He's not a cornerback, which you can never have enough if.   He's not a tough DL to control the line of scrimmage.    To me you take a guy like Smith when he's the last piece of a defensive puzzle.

We're drafting high.   Hopefully we don't be drafting this high again next year.   You want to try and get an impactful player at an impactful position.   And ILB is not that position.   Not for a top 5  or 10 position.

He's an impactful ILB who we've been lacking for years. Don't see why we wouldn't want him.

Yes, we need a OL and a pass rush, but LB is right there with those 2, trading down to get extra picks and get a prime player while having extra picks to get the other needs is fine with me

26 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

He's an impactful ILB who we've been lacking for years. Don't see why we wouldn't want him.

Yes, we need a OL and a pass rush, but LB is right there with those 2, trading down to get extra picks and get a prime player while having extra picks to get the other needs is fine with me

And I actually think our pass rush can continue to get better next season with Basham progressing and decent pass rush from both Sheard and Simon. ILB is where the cupboard is bare on the Colts. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

I think you can get an impactful ILB in later rounds.     I don't want to spend a high first round pick on an ILB.

I'd rather spend a high first on an OLB like Chubb.    Or an OL like Williams or Nelson.  Those would be my preferences.

Again, I love Smith and think he's great.   But at this point if our rebuild I don't think he'd be a wise investment.

I'm all for drafting this kid in a trade down scenario... I'm not sure how far down he will be available, but I think he would make a great addition to the LB core, for sure. 

I think that either Smith, Nelson, Brown, or Key will be available around picks 10-12.... Would love to see Ballard get the player he wants most and still get to grab picks by trading down... Would also love to see a down and up, with Ballard gaining picks in a trade down, then using the extra draft capital to get as many top 50 picks as possible.

8 hours ago, Hoose said:

Tell you a guy who's playing lights out tonight.... Minkah Fitzpatrick. There's an impact player you won't find outside the top 8- 10 picks. 

Yes, much more of a complete player and versatile than Hooker, but we can't go S first round two years in a row.  We shot that bullet last year. Gotta put talent elsewhere on the roster and hope last year's investment pays off.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, much more of a complete player and versatile than Hooker, but we can't go S first round two years in a row.  We shot that bullet last year. Gotta put talent elsewhere on the roster and hope last year's investment pays off.

We can take him and play him at CB like some think he will play in the NFL

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

And I actually think our pass rush can continue to get better next season with Basham progressing and decent pass rush from both Sheard and Simon. ILB is where the cupboard is bare on the Colts. 

Agreed.  The strategy should be to trade down this year and accumulate picks for this year's and next year's drafts.  That should land us in the high teens where Smith s/b of proper value.  

There are some pass rush potential in the second rounds this year too.  I think its becoming a rotational position in order to keep guys fresh, so wasting a high pick for someone who has to freshen up on the bench is a bit like keeping an expensive ferrari in your garage.

I say if we have to stay at #3, pick Barkley if he's there.  Both he and Smith would not have to be rotated out.

All of this is pre-Combine of course.

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We can take him and play him at CB like some think he will play in the NFL

Maybe.  But someone pointed out that the reason he switched to S at Alabama is because that's his best position, not to get more CB talent on the field.

And our starting CBs played decently, can be resigned, and the Wilson investment has to be given a chance.  I think we're a bit full at the S and CB positions to invest another high pick there.  I'd like a replacement for Geathers, but putting another first rounder back there is overweighting talent to a narrow point on the field, IMO.

If you told me he would play in the box like a ILB to cover the RBs, blitz, and cover the crossing routes, then I might be persuaded.  A SS can do that of course, but I think their primary role is to get downfield more.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

If we took Fitzpatrick I bet Ballard would select him with the intentions of him playing CB. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Maybe.  But someone pointed out that the reason he switched to S at Alabama is because that's his best position, not to get more CB talent on the field.

And our starting CBs played decently, can be resigned, and the Wilson investment has to be given a chance.  I think we're a bit full at the S and CB positions to invest another high pick there.  I'd like a replacement for Geathers, but putting another first rounder back there is overweighting talent to a narrow point on the field, IMO.

If you told me he would play in the box like a ILB to cover the RBs, blitz, and cover the crossing routes, then I might be persuaded.  A SS can do that of course, but I think their primary role is to get downfield more.

I also would take a replacement on geathers but i dont see us going with a secondary player anyway prolly be O line or linebacker 

10 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I'm all for drafting this kid in a trade down scenario... I'm not sure how far down he will be available, but I think he would make a great addition to the LB core, for sure. 

Apparently, many draft pundits believe that Smith won't last past the Raiders.

While my priorities with the #3 pick would probably result in another pick, I LOVE Roquon.  Watched him in 2 games towards the end of the season and I was blown away.  If I were Ballard, I’d consider trading down ten spots or so and snagging Roquon...

1 hour ago, Archer said:

While my priorities with the #3 pick would probably result in another pick, I LOVE Roquon.  Watched him in 2 games towards the end of the season and I was blown away.  If I were Ballard, I’d consider trading down ten spots or so and snagging Roquon...

Pick#11 might be a bit rich for Smith, but I wonder if the Jets would want to get ahead of all other suitors for Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield and entertain our trade down.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you can get an impactful ILB in later rounds.     I don't want to spend a high first round pick on an ILB. I'd rather spend a high first on an OLB like Chubb.    Or an OL like Williams or Nelson.  Those would be my preferences. Again, I love Smith and think he's great.   But at this point if our rebuild I don't think he'd be a wise investment.

Generally, i wouldn't agree, I think a true elite off ball LB does worth a first round pick, but this year I think you're right. It's not just the 1/3, the Colts have a top pick in each round. Their second round pick will worth almost a late 1st rounder. They can even trade back to the 1st round and take a true elite ILB prospect if they wan to, without bankrupting themselves.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If we took Fitzpatrick I bet Ballard would select him with the intentions of him playing CB. 

How does Fitzpatrick stack up to how Ramsey was when he came out? If he’s on that talent level that’s a risk we could 

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pick#11 might be a bit rich for Smith, but I wonder if the Jets would want to get ahead of all other suitors for Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield and entertain our trade down.

If he's as good as some say why is top 10 too high that's where Luke Kuechly went.

I wouldn't go that high for Smith at 3...but if we trade back to around 10 or later I would say Smith, Nelson, Williams, Fitzpatrick, Brown...a lot of guys could go at that point. He appears to be a three down impact LB that can blitz, cover, and tackle from sideline to sideline. I think he is a special talent. I would normally say MLB is a tier 2 position but the way he plays it and the importance with our scheme....he would be a tier 1 impact.

Hear me out guys... this is the scenario where we get Roquan Smith:

Colts trade #3 for #17 & #25 & next year's Bills 1st round pick. 

At 17 Colts select Roquan Smith

At 25 Colts select Connor Williams/Orlando Brown/Mike McGlinchey whoever the best tackle available is

Bills get a rookie QB with a roster that's not really ready to win a ton. This might position us well for next year's draft to be able to move up for someone like Nick Bosa. 

OK, OK... I know I'm dreaming, but oh well... had to try. I love Roquan, as you might guess by my avatar and profile pictures but he's not a player you take with your no. 3 pick IMO. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hear me out guys... this is the scenario where we get Roquan Smith:

Colts trade #3 for #17 & #25 & next year's Bills 1st round pick. 

At 17 Colts select Roquan Smith

At 25 Colts select Connor Williams/Orlando Brown/Mike McGlinchey whoever the best tackle available is

Bills get a rookie QB with a roster that's not really ready to win a ton. This might position us well for next year's draft to be able to move up for someone like Nick Bosa. 

Williams I would think would be long gone McGlinchey too I think 

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I really wanted Rueben Foster last year and was bummed we passed on him. He would’ve fixed our ILB issue. Roquan is good but I think Foster was better going into the draft. That being said there’s no way I’d take him at 3. 

I was actually thinking earlier about the 49ers possibly grabbing Roquan.  Foster/Smith would be insane. I think they'reat pick 9 or 10 and that seems as good a place as any for him to go.  

19 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Thing is I'm not familiar with any other ILBs coming out this year would one maybe not as good as Smith be there at the top of round 2?

If you want the closest physical comp there’s Jerome Baker from Ohio State. Same size and ability to play in coverage.

Tremaine Edmunds if he declares is another one. He’s the closest to Smith’s skill level but he’s a lot bigger.

Rashan Evans is another guy from Alabama who could be there. He’s fast and plays on fire.

On 1/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

BUT...

It is an impact position if he can play all downs

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you want the closest physical comp there’s Jerome Baker from Ohio State. Same size and ability to play in coverage.

Tremaine Edmunds if he declares is another one. He’s the closest to Smith’s skill level but he’s a lot bigger.

Rashan Evans is another guy from Alabama who could be there. He’s fast and plays on fire.

Good so it's possible for us to get Nelson and still get a really good ILB

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

It is an impact position if he can play all downs

I understand...    and I think he can...

But this year I want to spend a high first on one of two things...

-- Offensive line...

Or.... 

-- Pass rush

I think taking an ILB in the first round doesn't help us enough...    but ifBallatd loves him and we trade back to take him, then I'll support the pick because I think Smith is that good...

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

-- Offensive line...

Or.... 

-- Pass rush

I think taking an ILB in the first round doesn't help us enough...    but ifBallatd loves him and we trade back to take him, then I'll support the pick because I think Smith is that good...

I dont mind adding help at OLB, but I believe ILB is a MUCH bigger area of need for Indy. At least at OLB you have serviceable guys on Sheard and Simon, and Basham could surprise next year. OL and ILB are the team's 2 biggest needs this offseason. And I think Roquan Smith is a safer prospect over Chubb in round 1.

On 1/1/2018 at 8:20 PM, BProland85 said:

After watching him feast in this Rose Bowl game and playing all over the field, I really want Ballard to trade down, get extra draft picks, and select Smith to lead this defense!!

He's kinda small at 225 pounds for inside linebacker.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

-- Offensive line...

Or.... 

-- Pass rush

Agree those are the biggest needs and the easiest to fix if we draft at 3 or close to 3. If we trade back I like Smith. Personal I think pass rush is were I would go I like Chubb. 

51 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I dont mind adding help at OLB, but I believe ILB is a MUCH bigger area of need for Indy. At least at OLB you have serviceable guys on Sheard and Simon, and Basham could surprise next year. OL and ILB are the team's 2 biggest needs this offseason. And I think Roquan Smith is a safer prospect over Chubb in round 1.

I am not so sure he is safer, and although the Colts OLB's are serviceable none of them are superstars! If Chubb is as good as they say he is, he instantly makes the pass rush better and all 3 of the other guys better, because Chubb will garner a lot of attention.

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

He's kinda small at 225 pounds for inside linebacker.

That's the thing.  See what happens at the combine and that will determine his draft stock.  Hybrid SS/ILBs are becoming popular, and he can run and tackle for sure.

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's the thing.  See what happens at the combine and that will determine his draft stock.  Hybrid SS/ILBs are becoming popular, and he can run and tackle for sure.

A lot of people wanted Rueben Foster last year. He is the same size as Smith. Foster suffered a few injuries after being healthy as a college player.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/LB-Reuben-Foster-keeps-scaring-49ers-12449020.php