Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coordinators Just as Important as New HC

Dr. T

Regardless of who the new HC is, I want an aggressive DC and an imaginative OC. Sometimes these individuals are ex NFL head coaches who are on the outs. Others would be OCs or DCs from a team that is clearing out and just fired their HC. Any ideas? For example, would anyone like Del Rio as our new DC?

2 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Regardless of who the new HC is, I want an aggressive DC and an imaginative OC. Sometimes these individuals are ex NFL head coaches who are on the outs. Others would be OCs or DCs from a team that is clearing out and just fired their HC. Any ideas? For example, would anyone like Del Rio as our new DC?

No to del rio

fangio and mike McCoy come to mind.

Agreed.

What do you guys think of this resume of Chris Beake for DC? He has worked with the Broncos since 2013 on the defensive side.

https://pro-football-history.com/coach/859/chris-beake-bio

Here is another article about Chris Beake and the Beakes, football family:

https://denverbroncoszone.com/2017/04/01/denver_broncos_coaching_dynasty/

Key lines in this article:

Offensive and defensive assistant, linebacker coach, and special teams are among the titles on Chris’s resume. So is quality control–something head coaches live or die on. That guy who watches game film and presents it to the coaches? Who gives the scout team the info they need to prepare the starters? Who analyzes and compiles statistics?

Chris has been that guy. There is no better job to prepare a future head coach or coordinator than being the quality control coach. Or learn all the ins and outs of schemes and tendencies of your opponents, learn to draw up plays. Ask Jon Gruden. He was the first designated quality control coach. In today’s NFL, very few make it to the top without quality control on their list of accomplishments. Beake’s first job in the NFL? Quality control for Steve Mariuchi.

I agree with the subject of this thread.  My question is: who will select the coordinators and position coaches?  Will a new coach have full control, will it be a cooperative thing with Ballard, or (heaven forbid) will Ballard be the one to hire them?

25 minutes ago, Turftoe said:

I agree with the subject of this thread.  My question is: who will select the coordinators and position coaches?  Will a new coach have full control, will it be a cooperative thing with Ballard, or (heaven forbid) will Ballard be the one to hire them?

I highly doubt it would be a situation where Ballard hires them by himself. He hasn't shown any of that yet in player-personel decisions, etc. He has constantly talked about working closely with the HC to make sure there is something that they agree on and work on moving forward. That being said, I also don't think its completely hands off. It probably will be something like: HC hires coordinators but Ballard makes his points and advice.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Phillips seems to get D's to work pretty quickly. I wouldn't hate Schwartz for the D either, but from what I've read he's looking for a HC gig.

Teams can't recruit other coaches for lateral moves.  Must only be for a promotion (in this case, DC to HC)

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Teams can't recruit other coaches for lateral moves.  Must only be for a promotion (in this case, DC to HC)

But are you not allowed to ask the other team for an interview? I know the other team can decline it, and normally would, but is DC -> DC always impossible? just wondering....

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

But are you not allowed to ask the other team for an interview? I know the other team can decline it, and normally would, but is DC -> DC always impossible? just wondering....

I wondered about Teryl Austin of the Detroit Lions, was he let go with Caldwell too?

I'd love for Jim Bob Cooter to be the teams OC. He's an excellent offensive mind. Two problems though, Lions players want him back, and even if he does end up being the Colts OC, I'm sure any success would lead to a quick HC hire. 

Not that that last point is something to super worry about right now. 

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'd love for Jim Bob Cooter to be the teams OC. He's an excellent offensive mind. Two problems though, Lions players want him back, and even if he does end up being the Colts OC, I'm sure any success would lead to a quick HC hire. 

Not that that last point is something to super worry about right now. 

Depends on who our HC is. If McDaniels is HC, he will call the plays, much like Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton (and even Andy Reid for the most part did).

Just realized Mike Pettine is available, he would be an excellent DC candidate.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Depends on who our HC is. If McDaniels is HC, he will call the plays, much like Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton (and even Andy Reid for the most part did).

Just realized Mike Pettine is available, he would be an excellent DC candidate.

Pettine would be a good DC.  I mentioned in another post that Caldwell (if he would do it) would be a good OC candidate.  I liked what he did in Baltimore. Not sure who I'd want as HC.

I think it depends on who the head coach is, if he's offense minded like McDaniels, we need a strong DC and vice versa for other coaches.  Just as bad as Pagano, this team certainly lacked in the coaching department overall outside of a few areas.  

7 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

You would have to hire the coach and give him a promotion to HC.  Say you want to hire n OC from Team X, you then have to give them the HC  job and not just a title of something like Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator.  You just can't take a teams OC, and then make them your OC.  There has to be a promotion involved in there, somewhere. From an assistant to HC.