Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Dallas still the most talked about team?

Nesjan3

I know they are Americas team and sell the most merchandise along with the Pats but seriously, IMO they are not in the top 15 this year and they are ranked number 10 in the power rankings (above teams that will be in the playoffs). They are talked about non stop in the news and on NFL.com. They literally need a Miracle to get a wild card spot, they need to beat the Seahawks and Eagles, and need one team from the powerhouse NFC South to lose out. They have about a 3% chance of this happening and everybody talks about them like they are a playoff team making a run a championship. I dont know i feel like they could be the worst team in the league and they would still get talked about more than a team like say the Jags who could get a first round bye this year after missing the playoffs since 2007, or the Bills who could make the playoffs for the first time time since 1999!!, these are stories to talk about not the mediocre Cowboys.

i will tell you exactly how. By the way, I don't like the Cowboys. So I am biased. 

Texas thinks they invented football and Dallas is one of the largest cities in US. So,  When Landry and Staubach were successful, Their fan base exploded. NFL films  was making a film about the Cowboys ( they did this with all teams), and noticing their fans always filled the stadium and were passionate, they coined the phrase that surely they must be Americas team.  Fans took it and went with it.  What really made them national though were the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.  Now you bring in girls across the nation who don't know a thing about football, but they are Cowboy fans.  Now Jerry Jones comes in and brings Jimmy Johnson who built their dynasty and he was the king of hype building...how bout  them boys...that kind of stuff.  Then Jones builds a palace to cement his marketing kingdom.  Broadcasters over the years would call them Americas team as well, hyping it even more.  

Social club:

In summary, their national following are mostly from women and fans who view them as a social club.  They buy the merchandise, say they are fans but they can't name 4 players on the team.  It's one big low football IQ bandwagon.  That's why it doesn't matter when they lose.  Its not about winning and losing, it's the social status. It's like cheerleaders for your high school team who just like to cheer and don't really know what's going on in the game.  or college fraternities who are talking the whole time with their back to the game wondering about where the party is going to be.

It's annoying, but I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Just now, rpeay said:

Cowboys, Steelers and Patriots sell, because of their broad fan base (most of which are bandwagoners), but none the less, their stuff sells.   Those that don't like those teams, like myself, watch them hoping they lose.....almost as good as a Colt win when those teams lose for me....as I am surrounded by their obnoxious fans.

Because a lot of the retired TV 'experts' and paid suckups (Deion, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo, Demarcus Ware, Jimmy Johnson, Skip Bayless) are ex-Cowboys and the talk always goes back to 'their' team.

..also..owner Jerry Jones basically holds a press conference after every game. He's a blabber mouth

I couldn't tell you who 12 the owners in the NFL are

On 12/22/2017 at 4:07 PM, GoPats said:

The NFC East is regularly forced down our throats because of the major markets in that division. 

Poor Pats fan....I feel sorry....lol just kidding. Try living in the Midwest where they switch teams every week even though you live 2hrs from one and about 5 hours from another but you constantly get teams across the country from you. Never know who is going to be on tv from week to week. I never understand the tv maps.

I turn on the TV  and click on "First Take" at 11:10 AM on Christmas Day and what are they talking about after yesterday's critical games for playoffs spots? The Dallas Cowboys.  One good point Steven A Smith brought out in yesterday's broadcast was Troy Aikman said for the past years the talk has been nothing  but Cowboys but for all the wrong reasons. Well said. Look at their players versus the Colts and both are not in the playoffs. So who has the greater problems?

lol after the Seahawks beat down the Cowboys yesterday all they talked about for a good hour after the game was how the cowboys were a 13 win team last season and Seattle cant run the ball haha so happy the Hawks won that game. On another note Troy Aikman should not be allowed to broadcast Cowboy games, he is such a Dallas homer and his broadcasting quality really goes downhill when he starts crying about the Cowboys losing. At one point yesterday me and my buddy couldnt stop laughing at some of his comments, like "If the seahawks win this game its the worst offensive performance ive ever seen to get a win in an important game"..thats just one i can remember, after those missed FGs i thought Troy was going to put his headset down and walk off.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:07 PM, GoPats said:

The NFC East is regularly forced down our throats because of the major markets in that division. 

Your point is true... but let's not forget that the Oats also benefit from the same thing.

New York, Boston, Miami and Buffalo.   

Yes, you're the number team in the NFL and have been for a long time, but it also helps that you're also in a big market division. (Minus the Bills)

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

I turn on the TV  and click on "First Take" at 11:10 AM on Christmas Day and what are they talking about after yesterday's critical games for playoffs spots? The Dallas Cowboys.  One good point Steven A Smith brought out in yesterday's broadcast was Troy Aikman said for the past years the talk has been nothing  but Cowboys but for all the wrong reasons. Well said. Look at their players versus the Colts and both are not in the playoffs. So who has the greater problems?

"Who has the greater problem?"

The Colts do and its not even close.   Their personnel is much better than ours.  

There re are only a handful of positions  where a Colt is better than a Cowboy.

They didn't make the playoffs in large part due to Zeke's suspension,  certain key injuries,  and a defense that is inconsistent and lacking enough talent.

But Dallas is a MUCH better team than Indy this year... 

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Who has the greater problem?"

The Colts do and its not even close.   Their personnel is much better than ours.  

There re are only a handful of positions  where a Colt is better than a Cowboy.

They didn't make the playoffs in large part due to Zeke's suspension,  certain key injuries,  and a defense that is inconsistent and lacking enough talent.

But Dallas is a MUCH better team than Indy this year... 

Agreed but we know why the Colts can't win but when you have talent then what is the reason you can't win. To me the Cowboys have a bigger problem.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:14 PM, dgambill said:

Poor Pats fan....I feel sorry....lol just kidding. Try living in the Midwest where they switch teams every week even though you live 2hrs from one and about 5 hours from another but you constantly get teams across the country from you. Never know who is going to be on tv from week to week. I never understand the tv maps.

:lol:

I know, we're pretty neglected right? Haha...

I do remember the "blackout days" though. Don't think I saw a home game on TV for like 5 years at one point. 

On 12/25/2017 at 8:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Your point is true... but let's not forget that the Oats also benefit from the same thing.

New York, Boston, Miami and Buffalo.   

Yes, you're the number team in the NFL and have been for a long time, but it also helps that you're also in a big market division. (Minus the Bills)

This is also true. Even a team like the Jets gets more attention than they probably merit, because they're in a huge market. 

They really need to let Dez Bryant go.  In a game that is effectively a playoff game and he is throwing a temper tantrum.  And when he gets the ball - FUMBLE!!!

Then a pass hits his hands and he can't catch it - INTERCEPTION!!!

I know that pass would be tough to catch, but that is why he makes the big bucks.  But hey, Jerry loves his stars.  Nevermind if they are a cancer on the team.  Put a bunch of stars together and they will win!!!

This is why I love the hoodie and the Patriots (although I actually hate them).  Nobody is bigger than the team.  If you aren't a team player you are gone.  If you don't "do your job" you are gone.  When will these * owners, GMs, and coaches learn...

5 hours ago, GoPats said:

:lol:

I know, we're pretty neglected right? Haha...

I do remember the "blackout days" though. Don't think I saw a home game on TV for like 5 years at one point. 

Yeah anything is better than blackouts....I remember those early Colts years and we had tons of blackouts. Horrible for a young kid trying to follow his favorite team. Thank goodness for Sunday ticket as I wouldn’t get to see any Colts games but the prime time ones and when I travel up to watch in person. Sadly it’s hard to tell if it’s worth the money watching this team. Hopefully 2018 we will at least be competitive.

5 hours ago, GoPats said:

This is also true. Even a team like the Jets gets more attention than they probably merit, because they're in a huge market. 

Only when they have a marketable personality on the team....like when Ryan was coaching...it was very close between them and Dallas for radio/tv time.

36 minutes ago, Jules said:

Is Dak terrible or is it not his fault? I saw bits of this game and my goodness.........:facepalm: What a difference a year makes.

He played badly but Seattles defense was swarming, 2 INT one pick six, sacked Dak 4 times which doesnt happen often with that Oline, but yes Dallas had many an opportunity to steal the game away from the Hawks and Dak choked when the pressure came down.