Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Overrated Colt

IndyTrav

Meh. Jacob Tamme put up Clark like numbers when Clark went down last year. I'd say it has everything to do with Manning.

A couple of people on here were very impressed with Tamme, I wasn't. I'd say that he looked surprisingly good in 2009 when he got in a little bit of action in one game and made a couple of great catches before getting his bell rung. The last two years he's looked pretty average to me. In 2010 he was a healthy part of the entire "it's week 12 and Peyton still has no idea where the receivers are going to be at any given time" phenomena that contributed (along with offensive line problems) to Peyton's lowest average yards per pass attempt since he was a rookie.

Tamme's extended his share of drives, but he never came close to being the explosive game changer that Dallas was for years. He's smaller, slower and his hands aren't as good. Dallas used to bust up the seam and grab huge chunks of yardage. Tamme's longest completion of his career is only 30 yards, and he's done THAT precisely once. If he is in any way comparable to the Dallas of NOW, that says more about Dallas than it does about him, and does nothing to demonstrate that Dallas was over-rated in his prime. I don't believe that for a second.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of people on here were very impressed with Tamme, I wasn't. I'd say that he looked surprisingly good in 2009 when he got in a little bit of action in one game and made a couple of great catches before getting his bell rung. The last two years he's looked pretty average to me. In 2010 he was a healthy part of the entire "it's week 12 and Peyton still has no idea where the receivers are going to be at any given time" phenomena that contributed (along with offensive line problems) to Peyton's lowest average yards per pass attempt since he was a rookie.

Tamme's extended his share of drives, but he never came close to being the explosive game changer that Dallas was for years. He's smaller, slower and his hands aren't as good. Dallas used to bust up the seam and grab huge chunks of yardage. Tamme's longest completion of his career is only 30 yards, and he's done THAT precisely once. If he is in any way comparable to the Dallas of NOW, that says more about Dallas than it does about him, and does nothing to demonstrate that Dallas was over-rated in his prime. I don't believe that for a second.

To be fair to Tamme, in 10 games he out produced all but 2 of Clarks seasons in rec. and yards. (as a career 2nd stringer no less)

Is he the player Clark was? No. But I think that points just to how good Manning is, in my opinion.

my vote for overrated: Mike Vanderjagt, or wait is a kicker even a football player?

One of the only guys on the field who actually uses his foot on the ball.

I know you didn’t mean it like that, but for me coming from a country where football actually is a sport where you use your feet to move the ball around (soccer), I had to make a comment.

I also wonder if you Americans think it is a bit odd that a sport where the ball is thrown and carried in the hands almost all the time is called football, while the sport that is called the same in the rest of the world, and actually uses the feet most of the time, is called soccer.

No disrespect intended to anyone

Calling Peyton Mannings safety blanket overrated is comical. He might not be the most physically dominating TE in the league but he runs great routes and catches everything.

Sorry but why are we calling our players overrated again?

It was because we were suppose to take a break from trashing Peyton and Jim.....so we can trash other Colt players. :facepalm:

Anthony Gonzalez was supposed to be Marvin Harrison's replacement. Needless to say, it never worked out that way.

Huh? He was drafted right after we let Brandon Stokley go and was meant to replace him.

Harrison just happened to suffer a season ending injury and Gonzalez was forced into a spot he was not drafted for. I thought he did a good job.

I'm inclined to ask if coughMathiscough might have benefitted just a little bit from teams keying on that other guy... old whatshisname... mr. overrated. Everything I've seen suggests opposing teams had (still have?) immense respect for the havoc Freeney could cause, and that they often gameplanned with him in mind. That speaks more to me than all the insightful and experienced talent evaluations in this thread.

True.

I've always said Mathis and freeney benefit from one another.

Take away EITHER one and the other's production falls.

They truly are "bookends". You need them both to work. The sum of them together is FAR greater than the sum of them seperately.

It was because we were suppose to take a break from trashing Peyton and Jim.....so we can trash other Colt players. :facepalm:

Trashing? Really? An open debate as to whether we as fans consider someone overrated is trashing? What's the point of this forum? Is it for all of us to gather around, sing songs and discuss the greatness of every single player on a 2-14 team? No one is above criticism. Even on a team we all love.

Let as just continue to 'discuss' the neck situation. I'll start 'o he'll never play again'. Here's where you say 'yes he will'. We will be at 15 pages before you know it......

Overrated actually must take into account ''expections vs. real production''. So therefore in the last 20yrs...Trev Alberts, sorry but because of injuries, Steve Emtman, Coryatt (1st rounder with Emtman), Marshall Faulk (he must not have been very good if Polian gave him up for the draft pick that became Mike Peterson)--just kidding, Marshall was awesome of course, Ryan Diem (only overrated by Polian-giving him $5-6M per year several years ago).

I don't agree with many (most) of these responses, but I think it is because we have differing definitions of overrated. For example, one could say Bob Sanders is overrated because he is never healthy. I say that when he was healthy, he was arguably the best safety in the league. When Bob played, he played well. I don't think being overrated has anything to do with staying healthy. If a guy is very injury prone in college, but puts up average numbers while staying healthy his whole NFL career, does that make him underrated?

As for Addai, he has shown he can do well when the O-line blocks. He is arguably the most complete back in the league, as he can block, catch, and run. A guy like Brackett never gets any hype or media attention, but is a solid player and a great leader. I think the problem with this comes with definition of overrated.

Wow, Dwight and Marvin overrated...I mean wow...Really. Did you know where we would be without dwight freeney, nowhere....because his and mathis are our defense, because they are our only pass rush. We never blitz and we still can stop the run and short throws.

Remember when he got injured, we had zero pass rush and a early exit in the playoff.

And Marvin....overated....how dare you.

Clark I believe was over rated because of that 1 fantastic season.

I'd only have to agree that Gary Bracket is the only over rated player on our team...followed by Addai who I dont think runs hard (but is improving)

Wow, Dwight and Marvin overrated...I mean wow...Really. Did you know where we would be without dwight freeney, nowhere....because his and mathis are our defense, because they are our only pass rush. We never blitz and we still can stop the run and short throws.

Hmmm where WOULD we be without Dwight?!? What's 2-14 stand for?

As for Marvin. His stats are overrated and inflated. Was he fantastic? Sure was. But there were two players from his decade alone that outshined him. That's without getting into the older and newer guys, so the constant Top 5WR of all time sentiment is a tad off base.

And as for Freeney, his best year was 16 sacks, 3 FF, 32 Tackles, 3PD....that was EIGHT (8) years ago.....Three DE this year alone outproduced that...this is without taking into account OLBs...or guys like Cliff Avril who had 11 sacks, 36 tackles, 6FF, 5PDs, 1 int and 2 TDs.........

And as for Freeney, his best year was 16 sacks, 3 FF, 32 Tackles, 3PD....that was EIGHT (8) years ago.....Three DE this year alone outproduced that...this is without taking into account OLBs...or guys like Cliff Avril who had 11 sacks, 36 tackles, 6FF, 5PDs, 1 int and 2 TDs.........

Just because another guy has a better year, doesn't mean Freeney is overrated. Aaron Rodgers had a better year this year than Peyton Manning has in his best season (2004). Does that mean Manning is overrated since Rodgers beat him?

Just because another guy has a better year, doesn't mean Freeney is overrated. Aaron Rodgers had a better year this year than Peyton Manning has in his best season (2004). Does that mean Manning is overrated since Rodgers beat him?

No not at all. It very well may mean Rodgers is better tho....

*duck and cover*

Please. Guy couldnt out run a cold.

It's not all about speed. Arian Foster ran a 4.69 40 at his pro day, but has still one of the most productive backs in the league in the last two years. Like Addai, he can do many things, like catch the ball out of the backfield. Unlike Addai, he has a great O-line blocking for him

Huh? He was drafted right after we let Brandon Stokley go and was meant to replace him.

Harrison just happened to suffer a season ending injury and Gonzalez was forced into a spot he was not drafted for. I thought he did a good job.

Gonzalez was drafted to replace Harrison. The fact that Harrison was still healthy at the time isn't relevant, nor is the fact that Gonzalez started out playing the slot. You just need to look at the Colts drafting pattern before and since. IE: They try to invest #1 picks in positions BEFORE they are needed (Ugoh was to replace Glenn who was supposed to play one more year, Brown was to replace Adaii when his contract ran out, Hughes was to replace Mathis or Freeney when their contract ran out). You don't wait until your HOF caliber receiver is gone before you start breaking in a replacement. It takes 2-3 years of regular play for them to become key contributors. Under your assumption the Colts invested a #1 pick in a #3 receiver. That simply makes no sense, and that's not what happened.

I would agree with you however that Gonzalez did a good job. His injury history is frustrating, but based on what he showed in the past I would expect him - if healthy - to be the Colts number one receiver right now. Garcon can be special, but he's inconsistent. Collie is probably only effective in the slot, and Wayne - whom I absolutely love - is getting up there in years. Gonzalez has got a lot of talent, but who knows if he'll ever again be able to show it.

Gonzalez was drafted to replace Harrison. The fact that Harrison was still healthy at the time isn't relevant, nor is the fact that Gonzalez started out playing the slot. You just need to look at the Colts drafting pattern before and since. IE: They try to invest #1 picks in positions BEFORE they are needed (Ugoh was to replace Glenn who was supposed to play one more year, Brown was to replace Adaii when his contract ran out, Hughes was to replace Mathis or Freeney when their contract ran out). You don't wait until your HOF caliber receiver is gone before you start breaking in a replacement. It takes 2-3 years of regular play for them to become key contributors. Under your assumption the Colts invested a #1 pick in a #3 receiver. That simply makes no sense, and that's not what happened.

I would agree with you however that Gonzalez did a good job. His injury history is frustrating, but based on what he showed in the past I would expect him - if healthy - to be the Colts number one receiver right now. Garcon can be special, but he's inconsistent. Collie is probably only effective in the slot, and Wayne - whom I absolutely love - is getting up there in years. Gonzalez has got a lot of talent, but who knows if he'll ever again be able to show it.

if the colts ever thought that gonzo was going to be a viable #1 receiver.....well, maybe that's why they aren't employed by the colts any longer.

if the colts ever thought that gonzo was going to be a viable #1 receiver.....well, maybe that's why they aren't employed by the colts any longer.

Did you notice the 15.6 yards per catch in his first season despite playing a lot in the slot? His second year wasn't bad either. The problem is that it's the 3rd year where WRs should probably take a step forward, and for all intents and purposes hasn't played since. You can be disappointed at how this has played out, but you are mistaken to discount his ability. I remember a guy with a knack for getting open, good hands, big play explosiveness, consistency, and a great work ethic, all while demonstrating intelligence and the ability to mesh with Peyton quickly. And he was just getting started. It is absolutely reasonable to believe that he could have been a solid number one receiver by now. If the mystery ailments finally go away, maybe he still could be.

Did you notice the 15.6 yards per catch in his first season despite playing a lot in the slot? His second year wasn't bad either. The problem is that it's the 3rd year where WRs should probably take a step forward, and for all intents and purposes hasn't played since. You can be disappointed at how this has played out, but you are mistaken to discount his ability. I remember a guy with a knack for getting open, good hands, big play explosiveness, consistency, and a great work ethic, all while demonstrating intelligence and the ability to mesh with Peyton quickly. And he was just getting started. It is absolutely reasonable to believe that he could have been a solid number one receiver by now. If the mystery ailments finally go away, maybe he still could be.

sorry, but i remember a guy at ohio state who would be an excellent 3rd-4th round pick. just my opinion obv...

Our pick was 32 overall that year.... so saying 1st round pick doesn't have the same "ring" when your basically at the 2nd round. It's not like we broke the bank to bring him in and I guess I didn't think it was too odd that Polian was drafting a 3rd WR that high because well that is what building around Peyton Manning is all about, I mean Peyton loves slot receivers so why not draft them high? I mean by your logic a team should never draft a slot receiver in the first round.... Tell that to Percy Harvin....

But I also totally see your point that he was drafted so high perhaps he was viewed as Harrison's replacement down the road and that road just happened to come sooner then later. You may be right though.

I think we are some of the only posters on here who speak positively of Gonzalez and remember him for how truly fast and good he was for us in the past. I am optimistic about his future here if Peyton returns. (big if I know)

No, it means that pass defense was woefully bad this year and they played a ridiculously easy schedule

No, it means that pass defense was woefully bad this year and they played a ridiculously easy schedule

And yet nearly all were in line with his short career averages. 4038, 4434, 3922, 4643.......It couldn't be that he's just getting better. Its his cupcake schedule, and pass defense was bad etc etc.....Give credit where its due.

And yet nearly all were in line with his short career averages. 4038, 4434, 3922, 4643.......It couldn't be that he's just getting better. Its his cupcake schedule, and pass defense was bad etc etc.....Give credit where its due.

Look how many passers were over 4000 yards this season, a number which used to be almost unreachable.

Two passers even broke Marino's record. This was a dreadful year for pass defense.

I mean by your logic a team should never draft a slot receiver in the first round.... Tell that to Percy Harvin....

I'm just talking about the Colts under Polian. Other teams are different, and going forward the Colts will be different.

But in general I stick with my answer because it's a matter of supply and demand, not offensive philosophy. I think of a slot receiver as a receiver who isn't capable of playing on the outside for whatever reason, just like how guards are usually offensive linemen who aren't capable of playing tackle for whatever reason. Few of either are drafted in the first round.

I don't know much about Percy Harvin other than the fact that he's one of those play makers that teams find some place to stick in. I doubt that they planned on putting him in the slot when they drafted him. Who do they have on the outside, Moss and Carter? It's more relevant I think to point out that Brandon Stokely and Austin Collie were fourth round picks, and Wes Welker and Victor Cruz were undrafted FAs.