Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wide Receiver Talent

likm

Do the colts have enough talent at WR? Do we need to address WR in the draft or free agency? I love Reggie as most here do but he is not in his prime any longer and struggles to get seperation. Austin Collie just blew me away when we first drafted him. I believe he is over the concussions and is great weapon. Garcons speed and physicality is unique as far as what we are used to at WR but he is not the greatest route runner and drops a few more then most. Blair White is capable but I think we can do better. I think we need to spend a draft pick or acquire a talented wide out for this year. What do you all think and thanks. I am attempting to figure out how many players we need to be competitive this year and in the future.

Do the colts have enough talent at WR? Do we need to address WR in the draft or free agency? I love Reggie as most here do but he is not in his prime any longer and struggles to get seperation. Austin Collie just blew me away when we first drafted him. I believe he is over the concussions and is great weapon. Garcons speed and physicality is unique as far as what we are used to at WR but he is not the greatest route runner and drops a few more then most. Blair White is capable but I think we can do better. I think we need to spend a draft pick or acquire a talented wide out for this year. What do you all think and thanks. I am attempting to figure out how many players we need to be competitive this year and in the future.

I think you will be surprised by what Blair White can do. The kid does have talent.

With the all likely chance that Reggie could walk come F/A time, I think we have to look at either drafting a WR (the likely choice) or dip into F/A and see what we can get but we def need to get a WR somewhere. Gonzo is gonna be gone too so we are pretty thin at this rate. Blair White wasn't even healthy last year.

I think you will be surprised by what Blair White can do. The kid does have talent.

Yeah I remember when Blair was getting some playing time and he had some nice catchs. I guess I have to see more to convince me though. I believe we need a "game changer" at WR. It has been a while. The last one was Harrison.

Hopefully Blair can contribute this year.

With the all likely chance that Reggie could walk come F/A time, I think we have to look at either drafting a WR (the likely choice) or dip into F/A and see what we can get but we def need to get a WR somewhere. Gonzo is gonna be gone too so we are pretty thin at this rate. Blair White wasn't even healthy last year.

You know I forgot all about Gonzo. He really was impressive when he first arrived.....really quick. You know why I forgot about him though.

I think a lot will depend on who we retain... If we keep Reggie, Garcon, White and Gonzo then I can see us just picking up a couple UDFAs to see if we can get a gem.... If we let a couple of those listed above go then, yes, I can see the Colts using one of their high picks for a WR.... Im not sure who is out there that looks good in the draft.... I wouldnt mind seeing some new blood out on the field for either Manning or Luck....

Yeah I remember when Blair was getting some playing time and he had some nice catchs. I guess I have to see more to convince me though. I believe we need a "game changer" at WR. It has been a while. The last one was Harrison.

Hopefully Blair can contribute this year.

so your saying that guy Reggie Wayne was not a "game changer"?

I thought collie was a big game changer his rookie year. he was mannings favorite target with wayne and garcon being double covered lol

Collie was amazing that year.......hopefully he can get back to that level of play this year.

I think Brown is looking better at RB but I think instead of WR we could use an elite RB that can catch just as well as run! But wouldn't be upset if we picked up a WR of Marvin Harrison's caliber. But our D and ST really needs the most attention IMO

I agree 100%. We let Sanders go but hung on to Gonzalez for some reason! Didn't make a bit of sense!

Gonzo had a smaller cap hit. The thing is if we bring Gonzo back, he has nothing to argue that we should pay him a lot. It would be a low risk, high reward signing because he knows the system and everything....though that makes more sense if Peyton is back, doesn't make too much sense if it's Luck

Gonzo had a smaller cap hit. The thing is if we bring Gonzo back, he has nothing to argue that we should pay him a lot. It would be a low risk, high reward signing because he knows the system and everything....though that makes more sense if Peyton is back, doesn't make too much sense if it's Luck

Makes sense but seems to me the probability of him getting injured is a high risk too!? And didn't he drop a few passes like PG (maybe not as many) when he was healthy? If he can play the majority of the season and play well then I would say keep him.

I think they do need at least one more WR -- especially if Wayne walks.

Garcon will hopefully be back

Collie was good pre-concussion and only so - so last season

Gonzo will likely be gone (as he should be)

White showed potential 2 seasons ago, but didn't contribute last season.

Tamme / Clark should be ok at TE -- assuming they are still around.

As I said in another thread here today, hopefully in either this draft or next year they find Luck they guy that will become his top WR for years to come....as Wayne/Harrison were for Manning.

Makes sense but seems to me the probability of him getting injured is a high risk too!? And didn't he drop a few passes like PG (maybe not as many) when he was healthy? If he can play the majority of the season and play well then I would say keep him.

Him getting injured is high risk, but it will not cost the team much in terms of cap space.

Agree.

This is a residual wish-lister from 2011 for me.

I was the guy arguing that we should pull the trigger for Brandon Marshall in 2010. Would have cost us a 5 year, $50 million contract, and 2nd rounders in 2010 and 2011 (Pat Angerer and Ben Ijalana, the way it stands now). Or maybe we could have made that a 1st rounder in 2010 and a fourth rounder in 2011 (Jerry Hughes and Delone Carter). Could have made it work a number of ways, and then it would be okay to let Reggie and Pierre walk this year, keep Collie as our second or third guy, drafted a receiver this year, and been okay.

I was the guy arguing that we should pull the trigger for Brandon Marshall in 2010. Would have cost us a 5 year, $50 million contract, and 2nd rounders in 2010 and 2011 (Pat Angerer and Ben Ijalana, the way it stands now). Or maybe we could have made that a 1st rounder in 2010 and a fourth rounder in 2011 (Jerry Hughes and Delone Carter). Could have made it work a number of ways, and then it would be okay to let Reggie and Pierre walk this year, keep Collie as our second or third guy, drafted a receiver this year, and been okay.

And with him we would have what looks to be much needed vet leadership on the offensive side of the ball. If Manning, Reggie and Saturday are all gone.....who's left. A little off topic but this is why I see a scenario where the offense is ripe for a new QB under center. On defense, I like leadership from Freeney, Bethea, probably Angerer stepping up even more, and Mathis if we re-sign him. I suppose Brackett is still in the conversation too.

Thanks...ok you are now the new GM, you have a spot...do you resign Reggie, take someone above or draft the spot? Can we assume there is not already a 5th, 6th or practice squad player already under contract that can fill this? That leaves the FA above...how many of them will not be resigned?

This is the year to fix the wr's that we've been attempting to do since Marvin left. We need speed on the outside. If we can resign Garcon fine. It makes no sense to let Reggie go. He's the best available to work opposite a deep threat speed receiver. He's durable, his talent is route running, and he has the best of hands. Very remeniscent of Cris Carter.

Collie is an excellent slot receiver. Gonzo hasn't been able to stay on the field. Garcon would be a nice keep. Especially, with the addition of an outside receiver. However, if there were options to be considered with Clark, Gonzo, White, and/or Garcon, I'd think the Colts would have to look hard at it.

I honestly do think that we will re-sign Gonzo to a small deal...he was healthy last season, but he and the Polians were in some sort of squabble, according to insiders...and we all know what happens when Polian doesnt want you to play!

The fact that Gonzo and White are the two main WRs who have been working with Peyton this whole time, to me, leads me to think that Peyton will want them both here...he reportedly wanted Collie to start working with him in December, but Polian didnt wanna risk any injury to Austin during the season.

Another reason (besides believing him when he has said he wants to stay) that i think Peyton will be back, is that he is HUGE on wanting a strong connection with his WRs...and he has that here...with White, Gonzo, Collie and even Garcon started working with him a lot more last off season...began doing the route tree with him before games, too

Just as our RB have been affected by the lack of push and consistency up front, the WR's are too. Be careful of what you wish for. RW is still one of the better WR's in the game today, although I agree that he is not going to improve as an individual at this point, At the same time, he is better than we saw last year as our team was in major flux.

We may need either a FA and/or draft a WR for the next season. But to cast off RW like he is yesterdays news is folly. Guarantee you that if he went to the Pats next season (I think that would make me throw up in my mouth a little), he would be a difference maker. Why can't he be that here?

Just as our RB have been affected by the lack of push and consistency up front, the WR's are too. Be careful of what you wish for. RW is still one of the better WR's in the game today, although I agree that he is not going to improve as an individual at this point, At the same time, he is better than we saw last year as our team was in major flux.

We may need either a FA and/or draft a WR for the next season. But to cast off RW like he is yesterdays news is folly. Guarantee you that if he went to the Pats next season (I think that would make me throw up in my mouth a little), he would be a difference maker. Why can't he be that here?

i think its a matter of money, not that we dont want to keep him. Reggie said himself that he will not "give a home town discount"...he may have stuck his foot in his mouth on that one and wish he could un-say it. At his age, he doesnt warrant a big money/long term contract...and if someone is willing to give it to him, i doubt it will be us. I see Garcon as a bigger priority based on his age/improvement etc

Umm yeah...........Reggie great and all but not a game changer like Marvin was. I agree this as arguable though. Reggie is on the downside of his career.

fun fact for everyone who says wayne is old and done, if you look at his 2010 stats its one of his best years in the NFL. you look at our QB play 2011 and that should more than explain the drop off. he might be losing a step fine, but with a solid QB, (PM, Luck, maybe brady, brees, rodgers, ect) he WILL be a pro bowler next year.

I would love to draft Sanu, Floyd, Wright or Alshon (assuming he's fit, heard all these speculations on him getting out of shape and seen some of the pictures) if any are available in the second. However I would also have no problem with getting Dontari Poe, the guy is incredible and can bench 450 pounds with relative ease it seems. He would be a bulldozer for a 3-4 defense. But if the Colts go with Luck getting a franchise receiver would be nice but we also need defensive players. There are some solid FAs available if some of them "cough, cough, Vincent and or Desean Jackson," can keep their ego in check.

I agree 100%. We let Sanders go but hung on to Gonzalez for some reason! Didn't make a bit of sense!

We let Sanders go because of the amount of money and cap space he was taking up while hrt, Gonzo was not taking up huge cap space, thats why Bob was let go. Had Bob had Gonzos cap#, he too would have been retained.

I'd like to see a true #1 wr brought in. I don't think Reggie is coming back & even if he does I don't think he is a #1 anymore. I think we need a tall, fast wr that can get deep and Reggie/Garcon on the other side.

Reggie is done here unless the market dries up and he feels like coming back at a regular rate (even if a one year deal) is in his best interest. I do agree, a tall WR with solid hands would be nice to have. Garcon in the speed/deep spot, Collie/gonzo/White in the slot spot and a tall WR/TE hybrid in the new spot (old RW spot) would be nice down in the redzone especially. Garcon will become that true #1 IMO, he progression line has shown he can build on what he does now. We just need better mismatches to mix in with the taller WR player like a Gronkowski player has. He doesn't have to be the burner (6'4" guys usually are not speed)

This is the year to fix the wr's that we've been attempting to do since Marvin left. We need speed on the outside. If we can resign Garcon fine. It makes no sense to let Reggie go. He's the best available to work opposite a deep threat speed receiver. He's durable, his talent is route running, and he has the best of hands. Very remeniscent of Cris Carter.

Collie is an excellent slot receiver. Gonzo hasn't been able to stay on the field. Garcon would be a nice keep. Especially, with the addition of an outside receiver. However, if there were options to be considered with Clark, Gonzo, White, and/or Garcon, I'd think the Colts would have to look hard at it.

I like the reference to Cris Carter as that seems pretty accurate. Very good hands, slower but smart and great routes. Garcon should be resigned as it would be pretty crazy to watch this developed talent walk away unless someone offers him an 8mil/yr contract or something but considering the talent avail on the market at wr this season, I don't see it. Seems a 5mil/yr kinda guy to me. Collie has shown he is a talent with Manning but wasn't near the same with our trio of cruddy QB's last season. Can Manning or Luck revive him again? Gonzo had an awesome first year and a solid second but injuries and then whatever he did to pee in Polians wheaties crushed his career the past year or so. From the season ending IR in 2010 (he said he was ready to play) and then the 2011 no playing time (said he was healthy) something was just off and it seems like it was dictator Polians style. I think Gonzo could be given a rebirth with a new front office and competent coaching who has a say in who is on the field. We shall see. As for White, I really liked his play, good hands, a bit slow but just was able to make the tough catch over the middle. He has a use on the team but will never be mistaken for a RW type.

I honestly do think that we will re-sign Gonzo to a small deal...he was healthy last season, but he and the Polians were in some sort of squabble, according to insiders...and we all know what happens when Polian doesnt want you to play! Yes sir!!

The fact that Gonzo and White are the two main WRs who have been working with Peyton this whole time, to me, leads me to think that Peyton will want them both here...he reportedly wanted Collie to start working with him in December, but Polian didnt wanna risk any injury to Austin during the season.

Another reason (besides believing him when he has said he wants to stay) that i think Peyton will be back, is that he is HUGE on wanting a strong connection with his WRs...and he has that here...with White, Gonzo, Collie and even Garcon started working with him a lot more last off season...began doing the route tree with him before games, too

Gret post here, 100% agree with it all.

yeah i think concussions may end up killing his career though. it sucks too because hes a beast when healthy.

For me he was not very impressive without Manning throwing the ball. The guy was not physical and quick enough to play but he does have great hands and precise routes. These merits just cannot be seen without an elite QB throwing the ball to the right place consistently.

For me he was not very impressive without Manning throwing the ball. The guy was not physical and quick enough to play but he does have great hands and precise routes. These merits just cannot be seen without an elite QB throwing the ball to the right place consistently.

and andrew luck could do that for him. he has great accuracy and zip on the ball. im still in awe over lucks sports science video thats on youtube. able to throw the ball 50 yards in between two defenders who are 5 yards apart hitting his target while falling to the ground. its sick, definently the kind of QB the colts need in the post manning era.