Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Qb Is Not A Need, Pass On Luck

manning2dallas

There was this guy called Dieon Sanders who got the 49ers another Sb Ring.

Trade the pick, draft a competent back-up, redo contract with Peyton, and win SBs now and in the future.

Oh c'mon, Sanders was not the reason the Niners won the SB that year. 1994 was Steve Youngs best year of his career. He set numerous records including completion percentage, QB rating, and others I can't remember which are broken now. NFCCG Young had 3 TDs and Davis had 2 ints (1 returned for a TD). Thats why they got to the SB. Then Young's 6 TDs was the reason they won the SB.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Orlovsky maybe but there is a reason why we benched Painter and went to Orlovsky.

The defense did us in because they were exhausted because the offense couldn't put a drive together to save their lives. It was three and out and right back on the field, even the mightly Ravens wear out if their offense does that. The games where the offense could put together drives and the defense didn't have to spend three quarters of the game on the field we won. Don't get me wrong the defense needs work but all-and-all when you factor in how the defense was built they didn't do a horriable job last season.

I said at the start of last season when Manning went down and people called on the defense to step up that just because we lost the all world QB didn't just make us a defensive team and people expecting the defense to carry us when it wasn't built to do that were going to be sorely mistaken.

Your blaming the defense on the underperforming offense? Come on... they may have factored into it some, but the defense played very poor quite a bit last year. I'm pretty sure we were 32nd in the NFL last year in points given up, which would be worst.

Trade the pick, draft a competent back-up,redo contract with Peyton, and win SBs now and in the future.

Perhaps you have a magic wand you wish to share with Irsay? I would gladly join you onboard your fantasy starship, if only it were really that easy. Or maybe it is that easy...

Care to share how you see Peyton's contract getting reworked (so that the team can afford it and Peyton would accept it)? There are a ton of threads dissecting in detail exactly what kind of mess that situation is. Perhaps you've perused all those posts, and have some suggestions for ironing it all out.

Care to explain how PM's presence guarantees us SB wins now and in the future? Last I checked, it has never been that easy. I'd imagine by your post that the Colts won a handful of SBs in the last decade, when PM was completely healthy and young... right?

Your blaming the defense on the underperforming offense? Come on... they may have factored into it some, but the defense played very poor quite a bit last year. I'm pretty sure we were 32nd in the NFL last year in points given up, which would be worst.

It was a factor yes. Was it the only factor? No. I think I made that pretty clear when I said the defense needs work.

How do you make a logical summation that adding Claiborne instead of a guy who touches the ball every snap (Luck) would be the winning factor for this team? Peyton was great (emphasis on the past participle). He may be great again, but until his arm is proven to have the strengh required of an NFL quarterback this team would be foolish to not pick his replacement with the top pick in the draft and a great pair of quaterbacks available.

Andrew Luck can be injured in the first game and be out for the season. Also could be career ending or make the injury have a negative affect on his career.

You mean like Peyton?

Once again, your precious cookie Andrew can be also injured and twist every nerve in his neck in the first game.

"Your precious cookie Andrew"

Yep. This thread keeps delivering.

I have to assume you are joking with this thread. No way you can be serious because:

* anyone with an ounce of football IQ would recognize that QB is an absolute need for the Colts

* anyone with an ounce of football IQ would have to recognize that you don't take a player that you can get in the 5th or 6th pick range with the first overall pick. Even accepting your QB is not a need for the Colts premise, no one in their right mind would make Claiborne the first pick because you can get him later and get more picks in the process

So I have to assume you are just having some fun and are not as draft clueless as those that take you seriously would have to believe. So in short - good one. Thanks for the laugh.

Let's just say I'm glad you are not running this franchise.

Claiborne is a straight up stud and we see a shake up from what we expect in the real draft every year....events that digress from what we see in mock drafts. How do you know Claiborne would be available later? He is the best CB prospect of all time.

Mario Williams going #1 is a perfect example of this. Reggie Bush, who was considered by the media to be the best player in the draft, wasn't taken first so everyone ripped the Texans. They also could have "traded" out of this spot....but you don't know who would have snagged their guy in MW if they did. You don't know where teams value certain players.

next season? big deal. Peyton can only give you 1 or 2 more, IF HE CAN DO THAT AT ALL. I personally think he will never ever ever never play another professional down. its retirement time.

why do you want to mess up by not taking the best prospect since 1983? Claiborne? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

glad the front office is not as crazy as you are. you are seriously nuts and judging from the responses here, everyone is laughing at your absolutely ridiculous ideas. take a hike with that Morris Claiborne garbage.

shake your head, and get ready for Andrew Luck to be under center next season. expect it to be a losing season. your Lord and Savior Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his first season, remember that?

Luck will stumble, and the team will stumble, and we will rebuild. give it a few seasons, and we will be back to the top of the AFCS, and in contention on the PO's.

you are in serious denial about Peyton and his condition. wake up!

Think about it this way.

We lost a game last year 62-7. SIXETY-TWO TO 7. As in, the biggest blowout in the past 10 years. Actually, I don't even know how many years but it has got to have been a long time. Needless to say, it was bad and embarrassing.

Now, a QB isn't going to win us a game here! We could have had Tom Brady, Peyton's, and Joe Montana's love-child and that wouldn't have won us that game with our sieve of a defense.

Think about it this way.

We lost a game last year 62-7. SIXETY-TWO TO 7. As in, the biggest blowout in the past 10 years. Actually, I don't even know how many years but it has got to have been a long time. Needless to say, it was bad and embarrassing.

Now, a QB isn't going to win us a game here! We could have had Tom Brady, Peyton's, and Joe Montana's love-child and that wouldn't have won us that game with our sieve of a defense.

No but having Peyton Manning or a good QB would have probably beaten the Jags twice, the Panthers, Bucs, Chiefs, Titans, Bengals, and Browns.

You can't judge a whole season on one game good or bad.

No but having Peyton Manning or a good QB would have probably beaten the Jags twice, the Panthers, Bucs, Chiefs, Titans, Bengals, and Browns.

You can't judge a whole season on one game good or bad.

On top of that, the dynamic of the game changes when we score a TD on that first drive instead of a turnover from Mr. Painter. Then a score on the second drive instead of the fastest 3-and-out in history, and so on.

Having Peyton Manning means that the Saints don't have the ball enough to score that many points.

It wasn't just the defense's fault. The Saints were averaging over 40 points a game those last 9 games of the season, while our offense was pretty much dead last. That's a dangerous combination.

Think about it this way.

I wouldn't count Peyton out on anything. We did lose horribly that game, but you are also talking about a guy who won a game while only having the ball for 14:53. That's not even a full quarter.

Claiborne is a straight up stud and we see a shake up from what we expect in the real draft every year....events that digress from what we see in mock drafts. How do you know Claiborne would be available later? He is the best CB prospect of all time.

Claiborne is a very good CB prospect and he won't escape the Top 5..... but you're getting carried away with this #1 overall talk. Patrick Peterson was the consensus "best player in the draft" last year and he went #5.

Andrew Luck will be the 1st player drafted..... almost certainly by us.... but by whoever picks 1st overall even if we trade down.

Why?

Because the rookie salary cap literally slices half of the financial risk out of drafting a QB 1st overall and makes it even more inevitable than under the old cap system that QBs will rise to higher draft positions in the 1st round.

So whether or not you want to acknowledge Andrew Luck's talent doesn't really matter.... the folks who get paid to make the selections, instead of just cackling about them, appear to differ. In fact they did last year as well.... before Luck decided to go back to Stanford.

Right now, the starting QB for the Colts is Dan Orlovsky, with Painter as QB2.

Peyton Manning is still on the roster, but is unable to play, as he is still rehabbing from his multiple surgeries, and it is uncertain that he can return to pre-injury form.

I think it is apparent that QB is a pressing need for this team.

Right now, the starting QB for the Colts is Dan Orlovsky, with Painter as QB2.

Peyton Manning is still on the roster, but is unable to play, as he is still rehabbing from his multiple surgeries, and it is uncertain that he can return to pre-injury form.

I think it is apparent that QB is a pressing need for this team.

I think to be fair isn't Orlovsky scheduled to be a free agent? If so you cuold argue at the moment Painter is the number one QB. If that doesn't scare people into drafting a QB I don't know what will...

I think to be fair isn't Orlovsky scheduled to be a free agent? If so you cuold argue at the moment Painter is the number one QB. If that doesn't scare people into drafting a QB I don't know what will...

Yes, Dan O. is scheduled to be a FA soon.

IMO, either option at QB is scary enough for me to want to draft a better QB.

Mario Williams going #1 is a perfect example of this. Reggie Bush, who was considered by the media to be the best player in the draft, wasn't taken first so everyone ripped the Texans. They also could have "traded" out of this spot....but you don't know who would have snagged their guy in MW if they did. You don't know where teams value certain players.

How can you ridicule people (and I mean NFL coaches, analysts, scouts, forum posters,etc.) for saying Luck is the best QB prospect of all time and then say Claiborne is the best CB prospect of all time? Seems like someone is drinking a different flavor Kool-Aid.

How can you ridicule people (and I mean NFL coaches, analysts, scouts, forum posters,etc.) for saying Luck is the best QB prospect of all time and then say Claiborne is the best CB prospect of all time? Seems like someone is drinking a different flavor Kool-Aid.

Wanna tell me where I said Luck wasn't a great QB prospect? He is a fantastic prospect, I never said otherwise.

What I did say is that: 1) QB isn't a need, and 2) Claiborne is a better prospect.

People in this thread seem to forget that good QB play is not necessary for a great team (and we already have PM, so assuming he is out). The 49ers were a special teams gaff from making the SB with ALEX SMITH AS THEIR QB! So if we go defense this draft we can have the 49ers defense WITH Peyton Manning. QBOTF can wait....we are still competitive now. It was only before this year that we were perennial SB contenders.

Isn't there this guy in Green Bay who threw for 6 TD passes in one game? Sounds like a better investment to me then a kid who has never played a down in the NFL. Financially speaking we may need to lose peyton (not worth 28 million bonus) and would personally rather have a guy who was one score away from beating New England on the road in his 1st NFL start. Sign Flynn then draft Richardson!!!

Wanna tell me where I said Luck wasn't a great QB prospect? He is a fantastic prospect, I never said otherwise.

What I did say is that: 1) QB isn't a need, and 2) Claiborne is a better prospect.

People in this thread seem to forget that good QB play is not necessary for a great team (and we already have PM, so assuming he is out). The 49ers were a special teams gaff from making the SB with ALEX SMITH AS THEIR QB! So if we go defense this draft we can have the 49ers defense WITH Peyton Manning. QBOTF can wait....we are still competitive now. It was only before this year that we were perennial SB contenders.

We can have the Niners defense just after this draft plus a healthy Peyton Manning with no risks involved or decline?

Wow. I can't wait. :lombardi:

Isn't there this guy in Green Bay who threw for 6 TD passes in one game? Sounds like a better investment to me then a kid who has never played a down in the NFL. Financially speaking we may need to lose peyton (not worth 28 million bonus) and would personally rather have a guy who was one score away from beating New England on the road in his 1st NFL start. Sign Flynn then draft Richardson!!!

Now we are getting Flynn?

I disagree with both statements.

1. If you watched last year and with all the questions about Manning's health it's hard to argue that QB isn't a need.

2. If Claiborne was the better prospect he would be rated a head of Luck. He is not. Like I said Claiborne is very much the Charles Woodson of the 98 draft with Luck being the Manning of that draft. Both were/are very good players but it's hard to argue that Woodson has had a better pro career and has been responable for his team winning more games than Manning. It's also been proven it is much eaiser to get a very good corner in the draft than it is to get a franchise QB like Luck is projected to be. We might not get our corner this year but I would expect it and WR to be our major focus going into next year's draft.

As for the last point I feel bad for Alex Smith at this point. No he's not the best QB in the NFL but he's not chopped liver either. Everyone forgets that the week before the NFC Title game he went toe-to-toe with Drew Brees and beat him in a shoot out thanks in large part to not one but two what should have been and was a game winning drive from Alex Smith. Alex Smith might not be Peyton Manning but he's not Curtis Painter either and I know you didn't say he was.

This thread and you are the gifts that keep on giving.

Thank you.

I disagree with both statements.

1. If you watched last year and with all the questions about Manning's health it's hard to argue that QB isn't a need.

2. If Claiborne was the better prospect he would be rated a head of Luck. He is not. Like I said Claiborne is very much the Charles Woodson of the 98 draft with Luck being the Manning of that draft. Both were/are very good players but it's hard to argue that Woodson has had a better pro career and has been responable for his team winning more games than Manning. It's also been proven it is much eaiser to get a very good corner in the draft than it is to get a franchise QB like Luck is projected to be. We might not get our corner this year but I would expect it and WR to be our major focus going into next year's draft.

As for the last point I feel bad for Alex Smith at this point. No he's not the best QB in the NFL but he's not chopped liver either. Everyone forgets that the week before the NFC Title game he went toe-to-toe with Drew Brees and beat him in a shoot out thanks in large part to not one but two what should have been and was a game winning drive from Alex Smith. Alex Smith might not be Peyton Manning but he's not Curtis Painter either and I know you didn't say he was.

agree , what a thread

my choice trade 1 st for wealth of draft choices this year and nextt, offers will be to good to pass up giving ammo if want to trade up for QB next year and can still take very good QB later with extra picks as welll as fill many holes to fill

& as those who say we cant pass up on a franchise QB, well we were ridiculed when we passed on trent dilfer and look how well we did later in the QB position, do u need me to state the name ( LOL )

Just my opinion , I respect those with the Draft luck view opinion

agree , what a thread

my choice trade 1 st for wealth of draft choices this year and nextt, offers will be to good to pass up giving ammo if want to trade up for QB next year and can still take very good QB later with extra picks as welll as fill many holes to fill

& as those who say we cant pass up on a franchise QB, well we were ridiculed when we passed on trent dilfer and look how well we did later in the QB position, do u need me to state the name ( LOL )

Just my opinion , I respect those with the Draft luck view opinion

I don't think you will have the luxury of getting a prospect of Luck's caliber in the near future.

IMO, Luck>Barkley>RG3>Cam Newton>Jake Locker>Andy Dalton>Landry Jones>all the rest.

You may find future franchise QBs in every draft. However, you will not find the best QB prospect since Peyton in the draft as often.

Let me remind you why the 49ers lost the NFCCG. 1-13 on 3rd down. Even after the first special teams fumble, the game was still tied and all the 49ers needed was to drive down the field to get ONE field goal. They literally had 2 or 3 tries within the latter part of the 4th quarter and failed each time. In overtime they couldn't move the ball and then fumbled.

Also this wasn't the '04-'10 Alex Smith. He played really well last year, did not turn over the ball a lot, and made a lot of good plays. He will be even better with a full off-season.

Andrew Luck can be injured in the first game and be out for the season. Also could be career ending or make the injury have a negative affect on his career.

He can also be a bust or a pedestrian average QB.

Once again, your precious cookie Andrew can be also injured and twist every nerve in his neck in the first game.

Or he could be the greatest thing since Peyton Manning. You skipped that possibility. But you keep saying its more likely he'll be a bust when all the scouts are saying the opposite. Where's the logic in that.

I don't think you will have the luxury of getting a prospect of Luck's caliber in the near future.

IMO, Luck>Barkley>RG3>Cam Newton>Jake Locker>Andy Dalton>Landry Jones>all the rest.

You may find future franchise QBs in every draft. However, you will not find the best QB prospect since Peyton in the draft as often.

u may be right, thats why Im expressly stated those who feel different I respect that opinion

I feel we need to build a team , we had / have the greatest ion Peyton, but he was asked to do it all, Takinmg luck u dont pick next till 2nd pick 2nd round to restock team around him

Think its worth building a great all around team and getting QB later , Luck himself will not win without those around him helping, Can he elevate like peyton who i feel; we could of provided a better team esp with run game & the D in general with bend dont break, as a result peyton had to do those long drives, have great 3rd down & stellar red zoone efficiency, while having the fewest offensive possessions

& even in t year when after 14-0 start & pulled starters did 7 comback drives in final quarter ,many in last games drive , thats wasnt protecting the lead he had that the D was supposed to

Belive dumping Caldwell was needed, I just hope if pick luck the colts will learn by the Manning effect that u need a real team around him

u may be right, thats why Im expressly stated those who feel different I respect that opinion

I feel we need to build a team , we had / have the greatest ion Peyton, but he was asked to do it all, Takinmg luck u dont pick next till 2nd pick 2nd round to restock team around him

Think its worth building a great all around team and getting QB later , Luck himself will not win without those around him helping, Can he elevate like peyton who i feel; we could of provided a better team esp with run game & the D in general with bend dont break, as a result peyton had to do those long drives, have great 3rd down & stellar red zoone efficiency, while having the fewest offensive possessions

& even in t year when after 14-0 start & pulled starters did 7 comback drives in final quarter ,many in last games drive , thats wasnt protecting the lead he had that the D was supposed to

Belive dumping Caldwell was needed, I just hope if pick luck the colts will learn by the Manning effect that u need a real team around him

I think Luck is the necessary but not sufficient solution. I think it will take 2 or 3 years worth of complete drafts to address all the team's needs. Picking Luck is just the start of that process. We are in the position with the #1 overall pick to pick the best QB prospect since Manning/Elway. We should not pass on this. We can pick the other pieces over time.

I think Luck is the necessary but not sufficient solution. I think it will take 2 or 3 years worth of complete drafts to address all the team's needs. Picking Luck is just the start of that process. We are in the position with the #1 overall pick to pick the best QB prospect since Manning/Elway. We should not pass on this. We can pick the other pieces over time.

Thats what they thought with Peyton, its just the way they went about it was wrong, partly a fault of peytons being to good to fast and so many late draft picks and early round misses these last few years save for last draft

as said if new staff learns from that as u say in time we will be winners, If Luck is what all say he is and wins fast too may have same problem

Pagano I feel & grigson will draft differently, Flacco is not elite at all to me and they should have gone to superbowl ( Cundiff Chip shot for a loss ) this year so dont need the best QB, but of course it helps

Andrew Luck should be the Colts first pick. The Polians are gone because of violating the cardinal rule of drafting. They did not draft the absolute best football player available when their turn came to draft. They drafted based on their percieved needs at the time. The draft is the back bone of a team and must be used to garner the best football players available regardless of position. Needs should be filled by the frugal signing of free agents and wise use of trades. If you have a good coaching staff then the more blue chip players you have on your team the easier it is to win. Andrew Luck is the best this year of the blue chip players and should be the first pick.

Pagano I feel & grigson will draft differently, Flacco is not elite at all to me and they should have gone to superbowl ( Cundiff Chip shot for a loss ) this year so dont need the best QB, but of course it helps

I very much doubt Irsay will allow Pagano and Grigson to use the #1 overall pick this year on anyone but Luck or RG3.

You're kidding right? Matt Flynn?

Get him at 6??? No way! Now THAT is ludicrous. He is considered by many to be the best player in this year's draft and the best CB prospect of ALL TIME. Yes, that good. STL wouldn't choose a WR over him. WRs are to be had later in the draft, whereas CB is a premium position. If STL doesn't take him, Redskins have a pressing need at CB (Hall sucks) and could trade up to get him.

We will have Peyton this year. And besides, Painter and Orlovsky proved that they were solid back-ups. It was the defense that did us in.

Wow! I wouldn't even have Painter start at QB on my sons peewee team! Now maybe Orlovsky was solid but didn't play enough to know for sure. And our D was built around having the lead and sustaining it which was impossible with Painter as QB! Our D was simply worn out from spending significantly more time on the field than the O!

Our D has always been one of the worst and you just realized this last year!? They were made to stop teams from scoring in the RZ to help our O sustain the lead. How do you not understand this concept?

snapback.pngbayone, on 21 February 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

I very much doubt Irsay will allow Pagano and Grigson to use the #1 overall pick this year on anyone but Luck or RG3.

I doubt it too, I was just rendering my opinion on what i thought shoud be done

To clarify when i say

Pagano I feel & grigson will draft differently , I didnt mean not taking luck, but will in the future suround him eventually with a better all around team to work with than what Colts did for Peyton

I was just using The Ravens and Flacco as an example of a team without an elite QB that is well built all around and should have gone to SB 46 this year as an example of the importance of being well rounded

Think its worth building a great all around team and getting QB later , Luck himself will not win without those around him helping, I just hope if pick luck the colts will learn by the Manning effect that u need a real team around him

I think we all agree after looking at the Manning era that you can't win by just having a great offense. You need a complete team which means sacrificing on one side to keep everything balanced. What I do think is that since we are NOW in the position to draft a great quarterback you don't go against that. Draft Luck and start off with him as the nucleus. Don't sacrifice some unknown quantity of future picks to reach up to get a QB when you find out you have a team without a franchise quarterback. You've lost all leverage then. We can rebuild this team in 2-3 years tops and be competitive...at least in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I think we all agree after looking at the Manning era that you can't win by just having a great offense. You need a complete team which means sacrificing on one side to keep everything balanced. What I do think is that since we are NOW in the position to draft a great quarterback you don't go against that. Draft Luck and start off with him as the nucleus. Don't sacrifice some unknown quantity of future picks to reach up to get a QB when you find out you have a team without a franchise quarterback. You've lost all leverage then. We can rebuild this team in 2-3 years tops and be competitive...at least in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I know we here realize the paste team building way was an era, I am sure current staff have seen last years result of that,

I totally understand your point of view, I just hope Luck proves to be all they say he is as we will be giving up what probably would be the most valuable return in trade picks ever if # 1 was dealt

I know we here realize the paste team building way was an era, I am sure current staff have seen last years result of that,

I totally understand your point of view, I just hope Luck proves to be all they say he is as we will be giving up what probably would be the most valuable return in trade picks ever if # 1 was dealt

I know it's scary...the reality is everytime a franchise picks a quarterback at the top of the draft it can make or set back a franchise for as much as 5-10 years. That's scary! And we avoided it in 98'. So I get all of the concern...but I've also watched Andrew for the last couple of years and he's the real deal. Barring injury, I think he will have a great career in the NFL. Since you can't protect any player against injury that is something you just have to let go of...and move on to the things you can control which is our selection in the draft.

For the record I think RGIII could be equally good as an NFL quarterback but I'm less solid on his play vs. Luck. Luck did more with less as a passer and he shows all the intangible qualities that NFL quarterbacks need, such as pocket presense, understanding coverages, ball control, accuracy, etc. To me he is so Manning-like it scares me. His passes even look like they came out of Manning's hand...sometimes wobbly...always where they need to be.