Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI Report: Peyton Had 4 Procedures, not 3 [Merge]

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well bone spurs is never a good thing haha. I don't think it will be a part of play at all. Only time that would ever come in play is if it was during the season he got bone spurs then that might present a problem, but even then players play through bone spurs.

Yes, bone spurs are never a good thing.

And you are correct, that many athletes play through having them. I just made the point, that if this is a concern, it will be a concern for PM's team docs and management, when / if negotiating a contract for his services. It points to a need for some sort of performance based compensation rather than upfront bonuses that would represent guaranteed money.

Going to play a what if game here.... Obviously information that should only be leaked with Manning signature is being leaked, but still leaked regardless...Cleared to play football, a possible 4th surgery... I'm feeling more and more this is Irsay 100% pulling PR... I bet he leaked the cleared to play to blame Manning, to continue make Manning bad guy... Didn't work let's push harder how fragile he is

Seek help.

sounds like the first 2-3 surgeries were done in an attempt to avoid having to have the fusion. They failed and the fusion was done. Having an additional surgery prior to the fusion doesn't change the storyline after the fusion.

I still think that the 4th surgery they are talking about is the stem cell procedure that he oversees.

Peyton should just retire.. way too many surgeries on a neck to want to come back and play football, especially where you have to keep your neck on a swivel.. its whats best for him and his family.

When I first heard this I got an image of my mind of Peyton being carted off the LOS stadium floor on a stretcher and it's been making me feel physically ill for about the past hour.

I know it's probably just me being irrational but still.

Peyton should just retire.. way too many surgeries on a neck to want to come back and play football, especially where you have to keep your neck on a swivel.. its whats best for him and his family.

And maybe his legacy. I know family is more important but what more does he have to prove in football? I don't want to see him come back at a shell of his former self. Go into the broadcast booth or something. A top broadcast executive was quoted as saying Peyton would be numbers 1,2,3,4, and 5 in his choices for potential good broadcasters.

When I first heard this I got an image of my mind of Peyton being carted off the LOS stadium floor on a stretcher and it's been making me feel physically ill for about the past hour.

I know it's probably just me being irrational but still.

I kinda have a feeling like that, feels like peyton is out to prove to people that he can play... hopefully he does know when its time to call it quits

And maybe his legacy. I know family is more important but what more does he have to prove in football? I don't want to see him come back at a shell of his former self. Go into the broadcast booth or something. A top broadcast executive was quoted as saying Peyton would be numbers 1,2,3,4, and 5 in his choices for potential good broadcasters.

When i heard about the 4th surgery and the possibly 5th my mouth dropped, it would be amazing to see him come back but yea its best if he retire on a good note and with this team.

I believe peyton had an epidural because if he would of had surgery than why would he want to play the last game????

It wasn't a surgery it was an epidural.

He will play next season and win comeback player of the year and maybe MVP.

From Wikipedia:

The term epidural is often short for epidural analgesia, a form of regional analgesia involving injection of drugs through a catheter placed into the epidural space. The injection can cause both a loss of sensation (anaesthesia) and a loss of pain (analgesia), by blocking the transmission of signals through nerves in or near the spinal cord.

Why would PM recieve an epidural? Is he in pain? Why would he want to block nerve transmission?

What is your source for this information?

I believe peyton had an epidural because if he would of had surgery than why would he want to play the last game????

It wasn't a surgery it was an epidural.

He will play next season and win comeback player of the year and maybe MVP.

I don't get this. Whatever the procedure was it was prior to the fusion surgery in Sept, so it had nothing to do with the last game.

This whole story keeps getting more interesting with each passing day. It is like a train wreck waiting to happen, or has it already?!? I'm not sure what to think about it anymore. So I will try not to until I hear some real tangible information from someone other than "sources". Blah.

Hey, it could be leaked with a great amount of confidence that most any person who has played a sport for a number of years has bones spurs. Hmmm....interesting that is.

Hey, guess what? I bet Peyton will have to have surgery at some point to remove scar tissue too from previous surgeries. Of course no one in the media says that is usually minor.

You can media spin anything.

I bet he is going to have arthritis in those joints around that fusion too.

Bet it hurts in the rain and cold. Oh no! What about Gillette???

See? Easy.

the SI article says that he had this "procedure" in Chicago with his original surgeon, so that would be Rick fessler. I would bet the bank it wasn't an epidural. fessler doesn't do those.

The si report is extremely vague and probably does represent a hippa violation by some tech aware of the case, I doubt it was an intentional leak by a major party involved.

I cannot glean any useful medical info out of the article other than the implication that manning has a pretty challenging neck. word among some peers is that he has substantial right sided cervical degenerative disease which may be the result of football and his style of play, but this is unsubstantiated and still vague, giving no useful prognosis in and of itself.

again I think the only thing that will matter is his arm strength... I do not think it is likely that it is dangerous for him to play, I just don't have high hopes that his arm power will be adequate.

the SI article says that he had this "procedure" in Chicago with his original surgeon, so that would be Rick fessler. I would bet the bank it wasn't an epidural. fessler doesn't do those.

The si report is extremely vague and probably does represent a hippa violation by some tech aware of the case, I doubt it was an intentional leak by a major party involved.

I cannot glean any useful medical info out of the article other than the implication that manning has a pretty challenging neck. word among some peers is that he has substantial right sided cervical degenerative disease which may be the result of football and his style of play, but this is unsubstantiated and still vague, giving no useful prognosis in and of itself.

again I think the only thing that will matter is his arm strength... I do not think it is likely that it is dangerous for him to play, I just don't have high hopes that his arm power will be adequate.

Thanks for posting because your the only post that I even pay any attention to because the media is unsubstantiated and there for not reliable. Thanks again.

It's nice that your well informed pessimism is grounded in the reality that there isn't enough public data for a firm conclusion. Could you elaborate on why you're not optimistic on his ability to regain arm strength? It certainly seems very possible that he'll never regain strength, I'm just curious what you're picking up on that leads you to believe this is likely?

And how you wished also that you were paid $26.4MM last season to not play.

I trade all the wealth in the world just to be able to run a double move and catch a TD, In fact just to catch more than 50% of the time a 5 yard pitch ( 2 torn rotator cuffs and torn right biceps & all 4 extremities with abnormal nerve conduction velocities and EMGs save for left thumb ) or just to walk while not waiting for my next collapse, only happens about 15 times a day from any of a # of causes take your[pick, Vertigo, cervical myelopathy, atrophic spinal cord at many levels, Bilateral, ( BOTH ) ankle reconstructions ( right trimaleolar , both bumps on ankles sides and more than 25 % of bottom of tibia, main leg bone ) using 6 >>>s ( not a pin nor staple but a SC===w - censored ) & metal plate ( s ) at least on both sides and right with syndesmosis ( rupture of ligament between both leg bones ) repair & primary medial & blateral, ( inside and outside ) ligament ankle repairs after rupture & thats just a sample of the issues

Then again I can walk and should be a quadraplegic so yippee

Health is all that matters, Hope Peyton knows that

It's nice that your well informed pessimism is grounded in the reality that there isn't enough public data for a firm conclusion. Could you elaborate on why you're not optimistic on his ability to regain arm strength? It certainly seems very possible that he'll never regain strength, I'm just curious what you're picking up on that leads you to believe this is likely?

I hope it doesn't come off as "well informed pessimism"... I'm just trying to be honest. It drives me nuts how much press this gets with pseudo-medical jargon and anecdotal information, so that's my motivation to post.

Read posts I've made before to answer the questions in more detail (I think it's possible to search posts by a given user?). In short, his nerve was originally injured in spring of 2011 (I think April or May?). I realize he's had several surgeries, but that's when the injury began. With no personal ego stroking intended (this is a very humbling field, IMO), probably 80% of my practice is spine surgery. I don't believe I've ever seen a significant amount of weakness 10 months after an injury that later went on to improve to "normal". Most weakness from a cervical nerve compression either begins improving very soon (obvious with a few weeks) if it is "destined" to get back to normal. Whatever pace is established generally continues for 8-12 weeks and then tapers off to a plateau. I do believe maximal improvement is probably not reached until 12-18 months, but I also think that 80-90% of that improvement is pretty much established by 3 months. Yes, these numbers are opinion, and they are estimations that are mine only.

Surgery is what it is, but I've always felt that my daily challenge is determining who can be helped with surgery, what the exact goals are, what the chances are of achieving those goals, and what the risks and alternatives are. I think pretty hard about this stuff, because if I were in this situation as a patient that's exactly what I'd want to know about.

Peyton is getting a raw deal here, but think about how many regular people in life lose their $30k jobs because they can't go back to work at a labor-intensive job, and on top of that now have substantial medical bills even if they are lucky enough to have insurance. And those people don't often have a viable backup plan.

I hope it doesn't come off as "well informed pessimism"... I'm just trying to be honest. It drives me nuts how much press this gets with pseudo-medical jargon and anecdotal information, so that's my motivation to post.

Read posts I've made before to answer the questions in more detail (I think it's possible to search posts by a given user?). In short, his nerve was originally injured in spring of 2011 (I think April or May?). I realize he's had several surgeries, but that's when the injury began. With no personal ego stroking intended (this is a very humbling field, IMO), probably 80% of my practice is spine surgery. I don't believe I've ever seen a significant amount of weakness 10 months after an injury that later went on to improve to "normal". Most weakness from a cervical nerve compression either begins improving very soon (obvious with a few weeks) if it is "destined" to get back to normal. Whatever pace is established generally continues for 8-12 weeks and then tapers off to a plateau. I do believe maximal improvement is probably not reached until 12-18 months, but I also think that 80-90% of that improvement is pretty much established by 3 months. Yes, these numbers are opinion, and they are estimations that are mine only.

Surgery is what it is, but I've always felt that my daily challenge is determining who can be helped with surgery, what the exact goals are, what the chances are of achieving those goals, and what the risks and alternatives are. I think pretty hard about this stuff, because if I were in this situation as a patient that's exactly what I'd want to know about.

Peyton is getting a raw deal here, but think about how many regular people in life lose their $30k jobs because they can't go back to work at a labor-intensive job, and on top of that now have substantial medical bills even if they are lucky enough to have insurance. And those people don't often have a viable backup plan.

Thank you doctor, for you opinion.

Please do not mind some of us who attempt to denigrate the opinion-provider if we dislike the opinion.

Be assured that you do not come off as "well informed pessimism" to all of us.

This is more P/R ^cowpatties^ to get fans talking about old broke neck Peyton and its seems to work pretty good.................. until the man signs on with another team and we get to see the same Peyton that took the colts to the playoffs year after year. Why is it that so many fans feel like Peyton would keep playing football "KNOWING" that he will not be in good form, If Peyton cant play the game at a high level then he is sure to walk away and there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Didn't mean that first bit to come off as insulting, though it does read that way. Sorry. I was honestly just asking for elaboration on what informs your medical opinion on this case and you provided that. I did call you well-informed. :)

Thank you.