Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was Game One The Gauge For The Season?

King Colt

If you did not see the game do everything you can to see a replay or listen to comments about the game. At the end of the first half the score was 27-3 and sadly exploded to 46-9. During this abomination we saw Colts fumble, throw interceptions, score a touchdown only to have Pagano hurry the players to snap the ball resulting in nothing but a field goal. The replay clearly shows the runner did get in to the end zone but Pagano failed to challenge the "no touchdown" ruling and that was a critical moment early in the game. We saw Vinateri miss a field goal and an extra point. We saw no defense against the passing game of Goff one of the most discredited players in the NFL. Goff wound up throwing for more than 300 yards for the first time ever in his career. We say a safety after a fumble in the same play. We saw Bond the second string center perform poorly stepping on Tolzien once and a high shotgun snap. We saw the Colts recover a kickoff fumble at the Rams 24 yard line and move the ball a total of four yards in three plays resulting in a missed field goal no points! I believe they went three quarters without a third down conversion. Special teams was equally poor. The single high point was the defense against the run was good but against the pass was nonexistent. So my question is how bad are they again this year? Luck should fake his injury until next year.

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

If you did not see the game do everything you can to see a replay or listen to comments about the game. At the end of the first half the score was 27-3 and sadly exploded to 46-9. During this abomination we saw Colts fumble, throw interceptions, score a touchdown only to have Pagano hurry the players to snap the ball resulting in nothing but a field goal. The replay clearly shows the runner did get in to the end zone but Pagano failed to challenge the "no touchdown" ruling and that was a critical moment early in the game. We saw Vinateri miss a field goal and an extra point. We saw no defense against the passing game of Goff one of the most discredited players in the NFL. Goff wound up throwing for more than 300 yards for the first time ever in his career. We say a safety after a fumble in the same play. We saw Bond the second string center perform poorly stepping on Tolzien once and a high shotgun snap. We saw the Colts recover a kickoff fumble at the Rams 24 yard line and move the ball a total of four yards in three plays resulting in a missed field goal no points! I believe they went three quarters without a third down conversion. Special teams was equally poor. The single high point was the defense against the run was good but against the pass was nonexistent. So my question is how bad are they again this year? Luck should fake his injury until next year.

I honestly don't know if sitting out until next year will make any difference. Each year we all have high hopes that things will be different but each year nothing seems to change. Incredibly frustrating.

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The one year we were amazing under Pagano was when he was out for the year and Bruce coached for him. I have been trying to support him but sooner or later you just have to cut the cord.

We were not amazing that season and we were just as good with Pagano the next two seasons. Not trying to defend Pagano because it is time for him to go, but I'm just stating facts.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

luck isn't sitting out the season.   No need for two terrible threads

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Did we have Andrew Luck?

Did we have Ryan Kelly?

How about Vonte Davis?

Why is one week an indication of an entire season?

Then why would you ask such a silly question?       Seriously?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The one year we were amazing under Pagano was when he was out for the year and Bruce coached for him. I have been trying to support him but sooner or later you just have to cut the cord.

2012:  11-5.  (Under Arians)

2013:   11-5 plus playoff win

2014:    11-5 plus 2 playoff wins

And for some reason you think there was only one amazing year.

Come on now.    You're better and smarter than this. 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2012:  11-5.  (Under Arians)

2013:   11-5 plus playoff win

2014:    11-5 plus 2 playoff wins

And for some reason you think there was only one amazing year.

Come on now.    You're better and smarter than this. 

Lol I stand corrected. Crazy that even going 11-5 both years it seems like he still underperformed and got out coached. I think Pagano is a great guy. I just feel he has been seriously lacking in getting our team prepared. 

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

We were not amazing that season and we were just as good with Pagano the next two seasons. Not trying to defend Pagano because it is time for him to go, but I'm just stating facts.

No you're right. You and new colts fan brought me back to the light lol. I went dark and posted from emotion lol. I went and took it out on the gym so all good now. :)

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did we have Andrew Luck?

Did we have Ryan Kelly?

How about Vonte Davis?

You can't keep blaming personnel for the condition of this team. You are the silly fool without a clue of what is happening. You understand very little.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

luck isn't sitting out the season.   No need for two terrible threads

So Luck is the answer? Stupid, just pure stupid. Did'nt the Dolphins have Moreno? Name the Super Bowls he lead them to. Luck despite many posts in this forum, does not walk on water.

I would say the coaching staff is mediocre.  Their skill set that applies to their craft whether it be Defensive line coach, Offensive, etc...needs to do more coaching and set expectations.....They model their HC, who is weak and too friendly with the players....They need to can him now!!!!

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

You can't keep blaming personnel for the condition of this team. You are the silly fool without a clue of what is happening. You understand very little.

Actually,  I can keep blaming personnel.     When Pagano had decent personnel he went 11-5 three straight years.

When he lost Luck,  he went 8-8.   

When he had no defense,   he went 8-8.

And now we have this mess.

Pagano didn't become stupid.     His record got worse when his personnel got worse.    It's not a coincidence.

You don't like my ansewrs because you know thå† means we're years away.     And you won't accept that.     You think we fire Pagano and get a new coach and it's Happy Days are here again!     The fast and easy way.     It's a little more complicated than that.      Ballard said as much when he said this was NOT a one-year rebuild.

You just don't want to believe it.

By the way,   I'm not defending Pagano.    If we fire him and hire a good coach,  I'm fine with that.    I'm just telling you Pagano isn't our only problem or even our biggest problem.

Believe what you want.......

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did we have Andrew Luck?

Did we have Ryan Kelly?

How about Vonte Davis?

I think we are delusional if we think Luck, Kelly and Davis will be the answers to turn this team around. Of course they will help us be a bit more respectable, but the problem with this team are much deeper than those 3 missing yesterday.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not the poster you were replying to, and I completely agree that week one is rarely an accurate indicator with respect to an entire season . . . however, the Colts just got destroyed by the 49ers L.A. Rams (4-12 last year) to the tune of 46-9.

They made Goff look like the second coming of Joe Montana.

Even a healthy Luck cannot mask this team's talent vacuum.  There is no pass rush, no depth in the secondary, and the offensive line is as physical as a roll of Charmin.  Even Adam looks lost out there right now.

This is going to be a rebuild now.  And it's going to take a while.  The positive is that there is nowhere to go but up from here.

:coltshelmet:

What yesterday reminded me of is Andrew Luck should get at least one MVP vote every year because he, and apparently he alone, makes what is amongst the worst rosters in the NFL an 8 win team at the least.   In a sport with a 53 man roster that is hard to wrap your mind around.  He's that good.  

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

To quote Tom Moore; Football is a game of players and players make plays".

You can't tell me Luck, Davis, Kelly, Swoope and Geathers wouldn't make this team better.

Time playing together is needed as well.

For those who want to tank, blow the whole thing up by hiring a new coaching staff or project this season's results by the first game, I think it's just overreaction by some pretty frustrated fans. 

I listen more to the players who have one goal: get better every week.

Despite yesterday's debacle, this season is far from over.

The Colts are one game out of first place in the Division. 

We can dispair or keep hoping this will get better. The choice is ours.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did we have Andrew Luck?

Did we have Ryan Kelly?

How about Vonte Davis?

If we can't win any games without Andrew Luck, then the season is washed in my opinion.

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Not the poster you were replying to, and I compltely agree that week one is rarely an accurate indicator with respect to an entire season . . . however, the Colts just got destroyed by the 49ers L.A. Rams (4-12 last year) to the tune of 46-9.

They made Goff look like the second coming of Joe Montana.

Even a healthy Luck cannot mask this team's talent vacuum.  There is no pass rush, no depth in the secondary, and the offensive line is as physical as a roll of Charmin.  Even Adam looks lost out there right now.

This is going to be a rebuild now.  And it's going to take a while.  The positive is that there is nowhere to go but up from here.

:coltshelmet:

I agree that the Colts are in a "rebuilding" period, and trying to recover from several years of having an incompetent GM making some incredibly dumb decisions. We placed a lot of faith in Ballard, but the product on the field doesn't look much different than what we saw from Grigson's collection of whiffs and misfits in the draft, trade, and FA markets. Would yesterday's result have looked a bit better if Luck, Davis, and Kelly were on the field? Sure. But three players, no matter how great they are, wouldn't have changed the outcome of that game by more than a few points on either side of the scoreboard.

The Grigson/Pagano era put us three years behind the curve, and it's going to take at least that long to recover. And part of that recovery is going to have to include top-down changes in the coaching staff before it gets better. Pagano has consistently fielded teams that were simply not prepared for games, and yesterday was no exception. That bonehead "hurry up" call that cost a touchdown was just one more brick in the wall of incompetence that has defined the Pagano era. Like every other game he has coached, there seemed to be no "game plan" whatsoever. Just throwing eleven random guys out on the field and hoping for the best is not the answer. 

It's already too late in the season to make the changes necessary to turn this year around. You can't just pluck a new coaching staff out of thin air and magically make everything good again. We're just going to have to ride the ponies we were given, and look forward to some real change in the years ahead. 

This from the Indy Star newspaper:

The Colts offensive line, meanwhile, allowed four sacks and nine quarterback hits in a game where they attempted just 21 passes. It was this past week when Pagano had decided “I’ve never felt better about an offensive line,” but again, that’s what he does: He says things that simply don’t sound honest. Pushed on that piece of Pollyanna a few days ago, Pagano doubled down:

“Never felt better,” he said again. “You guys can write it. You can put it on the record and hold it to me.”

Done. And now let's move on and remember what Colts owner Jim Irsay had said this summer about the biggest problem of the Andrew Luck era: his lack of protection.

“I’m telling you,” Irsay said in June, “the offensive line is fixed.”

I'm telling you something else: The people who run this team, from the owner on down, have no idea what they’re seeing, saying or doing.

Find IndyStar columnist Gregg Doyel on Twitter at @GreggDoyelStar or at facebook.com/gregg.doyel.