Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Reason Why Luck Wiil/Won't Play This Year

King Colt

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He might not play this year because he might be hurt.

because yeah, the Colts would have definitely made sure Luck was on the active roster week 1 if they thought there was still a chance he wouldn't even play this year.

:sarcasm:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay has the last say so I'm going to guess whatever is considered an extremely conservative comeback will be used.

My reasoning for this, Bert Jones' career was derailed by a shoulder injury. Jim will wait until Luck is cleared and has had more then enough training and throwing without setbacks.

I can easily see him missing upto half the season just to be super safe. If he misses more then his injury was definitely on the more serious side.

I'm having a hard time believing a couple of games if he hasn't even practiced yet. 

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

because yeah, the Colts would have definitely made sure Luck was on the active roster week 1 if they thought there was still a chance he wouldn't even play this year.

:sarcasm:

Wasn't Manning on the active roster the year he didn't play a game?  

They left Luck on the active roster the year he lacerated his kidney as well, and he never played another game.

The Colts will put there starting QB on the active roster if there is a chance he might play, doesn't always mean he will. 

11 hours ago, King Colt said:

If he ain't healthy he ain't goin' in

I don't see anyone saying otherwise. So....

11 hours ago, King Colt said:

Please spare me the rah-rah about how we are going to win the Super Bowl this year.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, as I have not said that, but ok? Lol.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:03 PM, Superman said:

O.o

Can't argue with that.

Traveling to the west coast to face 2 top ten defenses in the first month is not easy. Also not easy, Pittsburgh, Houston x 2, Titans x 2, Cardinals and Ravens. How easy is Cleveland with all the talent they've acquired in the last 2 seasons? Cincy is not as bad as their record last year. Playing a division rival is almost always not easy, so add 2 more games to the list when we plays the Jags. 

17 minutes ago, IinD said:

Irsay has the last say so I'm going to guess whatever is considered an extremely conservative comeback will be used.

My reasoning for this, Bert Jones' career was derailed by a shoulder injury. Jim will wait until Luck is cleared and has had more then enough training and throwing without setbacks.

I can easily see him missing upto half the season just to be super safe. If he misses more then his injury was definitely on the more serious side.

I'm having a hard time believing a couple of games if he hasn't even practiced yet. 

Bert Jones played in an era when he was probably operated on with a chain saw and an ice pic.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Bert Jones played in an era when he was probably operated on with a chain saw and an ice pic.

Simply meant Irsay knows what a bum shoulder can turn into. No reason to get him in after a few practices even if he's cleared. Get that endurance and strength up even if it takes more then 3-4 weeks.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:00 PM, King Colt said:

2. The OL is till not what is required to protect him.

Just curious, how good does the OLine have to be for you to risk playing your starting QB?  What is required?  Five All-Pro Lineman that never allow a single sack, ever?  Let's be reasonable here.

There are a few OLines that are flat-out better than the Colts:  Dallas, Tennessee, Oakland, etc. but the Colts OLine is on-par with the majority of OLines in the NFL.  NE, GB, NO and Pittsburgh do not have elite OLines and have some injury issues on offense, should they go ahead and shut down Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rothelisburger for the season?

According to your logic, only a handful of teams in the NFL have an OLine good enough to risk playing their starting QB...  :scratch:  I think the Raiders and Cowboys are probably the only teams in the league that you could say have an elite QB behind an elite OLine.  Should we just have the Raiders and Cowboys play the SB now so that everyone else can pack it in and get healed up and work on acquiring 5 All-Pro OLinemen for next year?

:pokerface:

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just curious, how good does the OLine have to be for you to risk playing your starting QB?  What is required?  Five All-Pro Lineman that never allow a single sack, ever?  Let's be reasonable here.

There are a few OLines that are flat-out better than the Colts:  Dallas, Tennessee, Oakland, etc. but the Colts OLine is on-par with the majority of OLines in the NFL.  NE, GB, NO and Pittsburgh do not have elite OLines and have some injury issues on offense, should they go ahead and shut down Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rothelisburger for the season?

According to your logic, only a handful of teams in the NFL have an OLine good enough to risk playing their starting QB...  :scratch:  I think the Raiders and Cowboys are probably the only teams in the league that you could say have an elite QB behind an elite OLine.  Should we just have the Raiders and Cowboys play the SB now so that everyone else can pack it in and get healed up and work on acquiring 5 All-Pro OLinemen for next year?

:pokerface:

You judge the Colts pathetic OL line by its history. You surely don't have an ounce of doubt as to the quality of their performance over the past few years. Throw up the words, "Colts offense problems"  and what is the first item that surfaces? Tell me haw many different personnel/formations they Colts have jumbled in the past years In case you don't know and I don't think you do Seattle with the best D has a OL that is also an issue with them. What and why would you question my position on the state of the Colts OL when it is universally plastered all over their history in big, bold letters.

Luck has been sacked 166 times and hit over 300 times and hurried more (yes I know he holds the ball too long) according to recent sources Proof enough or would like more in 2017? You need to check your data and get out of your dream world.

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You judge the Colts pathetic OL line by its history. You surely don't have an ounce of doubt as to the quality of their performance over the past few years. Throw up the words, "Colts offense problems"  and what is the first item that surfaces? Tell me haw many different personnel/formations they Colts have jumbled in the past years In case you don't know and I don't think you do Seattle with the best D has a OL that is also an issue with them. What and why would you question my position on the state of the Colts OL when it is universally plastered all over their history in big, bold letters.

Luck has been sacked 166 times and hit over 300 times and hurried more (yes I know he holds the ball too long) according to recent sources Proof enough or would like more in 2017? You need to check your data and get out of your dream world.

I feel like I'm walking around left-field just trying to pick up all the pieces of your argument, here...

Ok, you're calling the OLine pathetic, but then admit that Luck holds the ball too long (we can blame play-calling here, too), leading to extra unnecessary sacks, hits and hurries.  Despite Luck holding the ball too long due to play-calling, Kelly STILL didn't allow a sack last year, as a rookie.  So that's at least one player on the OLine that is far from pathetic, and is maybe even Elite by most criteria.  Castanzo and Mewhort may not be elite, but they hold their own when asked to block for an eternity.  They are not pathetic, they are solid players.  I'll concede your point about the right side of the line, but almost every OLine in the NFL has a weak link or two, even Dallas, Oakland and Tennessee.

But the Colts offense was one of the best in 2016, and has been a top offense with Luck at the helm in the past, with some of the same OLinemen, so whatever detraction you feel the need to take from the Colts OLine, you need to give credit where credit is due.  I don't know where you're getting "pathetic plastered all over history", but I think that's your opinion, and I have to disagree.  You make it sound like there is absolutely nothing good about our OLine.  I think we have a good group of OLinemen, we just need to improve our play-calling to limit mistakes.

I'm not sure what your point was about personnel/formations and the Seahawks, but I believe you said that they also have issues with their OLine.  Which brings me back to my original question: How good does the OLine need to be for you to start your franchise QB?  And is it really the OLine?  Maybe it's the play-calling...  bad play-calling will make even the Cowboys OLine look bad, maybe even "pathetic" ...

1 hour ago, indy1888 said:

Wasn't Manning on the active roster the year he didn't play a game?  

They left Luck on the active roster the year he lacerated his kidney as well, and he never played another game.

The Colts will put there starting QB on the active roster if there is a chance he might play, doesn't always mean he will. 

IR with designation to return didn't exist in 2011.  It wasn't implemented until 2012.  If it had been, I would bet my next paycheck the Colts would have put him on IR with designation to return at the start of the season.  They didn't because, at the time, that would have meant he would have to have been out for the entire season rather than just 8 weeks. They thought there was a chance he might play so they didn't IR him. 

As for Luck's lacerated kidney..that was also a very different situation.  That happened in November.  PUP wasn't an option at that time because the player has to be on PUP from the start of the season.  You can't put a player on the PUP list midway through the season.  Once the season starts, IR is the only option.  They couldn't use the IR with designation to return for a couple of reasons...1) they had already used it on Djoun Smith after week 1 of that season and at the time, only one player could be designated to return, 2) it was already November by this time and even with the designation to return, Luck would have had to wait 8 weeks to be reactivated and the season would have been over by that point, plus 3) the initial prognosis was that he would only miss 2-6 weeks.

Luck's situation this year was very different to the two above because of the timing and rule changes that have occurred. So hypothetically, if you still have some doubts that Luck will even play this season, then that means as of right now he's not even close to returning, right?  If you're concerned about him being able to play in any games at all, then you know he wont' be playing in any games any time soon.  That allows you to either put Luck on PUP once the season starts.  That frees up his roster spot so the team can bring in another player to replace him while he's out.  Or, they could have put him on IR (no need to designate because that's not required anymore) and then you can revisit his health in week 6 and if he's ready to start practicing, then he can practice for 2 weeks before being activated prior to week 8's game.  Either way, you have an extra roster spot for 6-8 weeks during the time you know Luck is going to be out.

so, at the start of this season, they were confident enough that he would play in under 6 weeks that they took him off PUP.  Otherwise it would take some sort of unforeseen set back to keep him out longer.  :)

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Joe Philbin the OL coach? 

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Ryan Kelly on the field?

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Mewhort on the field?

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Chudzinski the OC?

For how many of those games were guys like Samson Satele, Mike McGlynn, Jeff Linkenbach etc on the field?

Those are just a few reasons why you cannot use all of the past 5 years to judge how the OL will perform in 2017.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Joe Philbin the OL coach? 

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Ryan Kelly on the field?

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Mewhort on the field?

For how many of those sacks/hurries was Chudzinski the OC?

For how many of those games were guys like Samson Satele, Mike McGlynn, Jeff Linkenbach etc on the field?

Those are just a few reasons why you cannot use all of the past 5 years to judge how the OL will perform in 2017.

Now my question, did Luck have surgery?

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Make even the slightest acknowledgement of mine....and even how that matters.   I've acknowledged that luck has been hit...a lot. I'm not disputing that he's gotten the crap beat out of him. 

But no team is ever going to sit a healthy, star player on the bench in fear of him getting hurt in a meaningful game. Now THAT would have an effect on ticket sales.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

dude,   you should just let it go.  You started a terrible thread it happens.     You had a nonsensical theory that is universally mocked.   Stop  trying to defend it.   It's nonsense. 

10 hours ago, IinD said:

Bert Jones did have a shoulder injury but that is not what caused him to retire. That was a neck injury.

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

dude,   you should just let it go.  You started a terrible thread it happens.     You had a nonsensical theory that is universally mocked.   Stop  trying to defend it.   It's nonsense. 

You illustrate your age/mentality by selecting the term "dude". I won't kick a child.