Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Colts win a game without Luck?

dudley dawson

Just now, B~Town said:

I see it now Tolzien gets benched at half time Morris comes out and sets the league on fire wins MVP and leads the Colts to a SB victory . Hey a guy can dream right

He'll be our own Kurt Warner, and we'll go on to build a dynasty around Morris like the Rams while trading Luck for three 1st round picks! Don't kill me! :peek:

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is basically the idea, and I think the FO knows it and a vast majority of people on here do as well (whether they will all admit it is another story). With the injuries and Luck not at 100% health, I just don't see us being very competitive this year. If, by season's end, Luck can get back to 100% and the rookies can break out as well as some of the FA's, then those goals will be accomplished. Then the rebuild can start with a new HC and Coaching Staff and another solid draft. It'd be great if Pagano turned it around, but the odds of that seem pretty low at this point.

Yeah...I mean seems pretty clear to me the approach the Colts are taking.  They know Luck is the franchise and they are not going to put him on that field until he is 100%. They will not rush him...they've said that repeatedly.  Also Irsay has stated that he is ok with a couple of subpar years if it helps build Lombardi winning teams in the Luck era.  So if we suck this season...oh well...we get high draft picks to continue to add talent to our defense and shore up our other weaknesses.  Ballard will get to see what we got and evaluate who to keep and continue rebuilding with. Ultimately, I think the franchise will be in better shape down the road.

Just so I answer the question posed in this post... yes I believe the Colts will win at least a game without Luck.  Maybe several.  This team can be resilient.  Ultimately, it won't be enough wins though to keep us from having a decent draft pick next year or getting rid of Pagano. 

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, and Morris has looked a lot better. So you're right they don't care.

Morris is a better quarterback. So is Kap. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Hmmm

i do believe he was starting QB Saturday when they beat the steelers........ so there's at least 1 game

Preseason doesn't count, to me sir. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

True,  but what were the other options?

Morris. Kap. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

True,  but what were the other options?

Probably Kaepernick or something extreme like getting Romo out of retirement. We could of also traded for someone like AJ McCarron, but he would of been way too expensive for the intended goal of a stopgap QB to hold the team over while Luck is gone. Not sure of what veteran QB's are still available in FA. Manziel would be dumb IMO as well.

Just now, Xander said:

Morris is a better quarterback. So is Kap. 

Preseason doesn't count, to me sir. 

Morris. Kap. 

So you've observed practice and know the qb with the best knowledge of the playbook?  Kap isn't coming here, so that isn't an opinion

Just now, Xander said:

Morris is the more talented QB. How many TDs has Tolzien even thrown in regular season games? He sucks. And if Kap isn't an option, that's silly to me. 

How many has Morris thrown?  There is a reason he isn't the guy.  Pagano knows he is coaching for his job.  He sees him everyday in practice

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll buy the entire forum a juicy steak if that happens!

Yeah, but what happens if you have forum member dissension in the ranks over how that one enormous steak gets cooked though buddy? As in rare, medium rare, or well done? 

2 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I got dibs on the whole steak!

Way to jump to the forefront there M-432. A man's gotta steak, I mean stake, his claim right? 

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I won't buy everyone their own steak, I'll buy the entire forum juicy steak. One steak that you all have to split. You have to read the fine print! :) 

I'm been burned so many times over fine print. You're right though precise instructions do matter & what better way to wiggle out of something then fine print. Well played Jared. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, but what happens if you have forum member dissension in the ranks over how that one enormous steak gets cooked though buddy? As in rare, medium rare, or well done? 

No one should ever order their steak well done! Blasphemy I say!!!

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Probably not,  but in large part due to the fact that the injury bug has spread badly across the team....

Luck,  Kelly,  Vonte,  Moncrief,  Rogers,  Dorsett,  Swoope,  and more....

Losing that much talent is hard to overcome,  especially without the best player on the team.

Could not agree more. And you forgot another key injury, Clayton Geathers.

3 hours ago, Xander said:

Doesn't seem like the Colts care. I mean they're going with Scott Tolzien who's never won a game in his career. 

Seems to me Colts are pushing competition, I personally think Morris is clearly the starter, but why not give  Tolzien every chance to prove me wrong?

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Back in the day when I was a kid I thought Sizzler was the stuff! That and the Ponderosa buffet with their Wings and Mac n Cheese.

haha Yeah when I was young I also thought both Sizzler and Ponderosa were both the #()@.  

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Don't know about that one, I wish you were in charge of Vegas's odds, I'd be all over that bet on the under.

The Colts got problems but they have vastly improved from the previous season... The upgrade on defense alone gives them a better chance to win... And although Tolzien isn't a TD machine I still expect him to put up decent numbers... Good enough numbers to keep us in at least two of those games the start of the season. 

They lost too many games WITH Luck and with almost everyone agreeing their defense stinks why play him at all until next year? Put him in the last remaining minutes when the opposition's defense is tired in games when the Colts are not being blown out 64-0. The Colts and Browns could swap GMs in 2018 to see if either team could rise from the depths of disgrace and humiliation and move on from there. Morris was described as "a guy that I well traveled" by the Steelers' broadcasters in the last preseason game last week should start all 16 games this year because "well traveled" breaks down to describe  a bum that no one wants.  The Colts are statistically the worst team in the history of the NFL so the commissioner has called for the banning of broadcasting 100% of their games this season and possibly next season as well. Or........we could shut up and throw some support for this team. Name the teams that have never won a SB disappointing their fans for eight decades.

There's a few reasons why I think the Colts could win some games without Andrew:

The final cut: adding a few players could be big, in providing depth.

Rams - Aaron Donald might not play.

Goff can be pressured into mistakes.

The Rams have Austin Blythe at center.

Butler and Fairley look ok at safety.

The Colts run game may be better.

Morris could win the starting job. If not, Tolzien could play well enough to win, especially with an improved running game. 

Finally, the confidence of the players. They talk about cleaning things up, avoiding penalties, improving technique. All correctable issues.

Getting that Rams win could be big. I see 3-2 for the first five games, should they have to go with Tolzien/ Morris  ( although I'm hoping Luck returns before game six).