Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Colts Fans Like Asante Samuel In Exchange For No.65?

If we have to assume Asante Samuel's contract, will Colts fans be fine with trading away pick No.65 for him to the Eagles?

Thoughts? Here are his contract details:

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2008/03/asante-samuels-contract-details.html

The details on Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel's contract, and he'll make $32.14 million in the first three years of the deal. The contract looks like this:

Signing Bonus: $6M

Roster Bonuses: $7M in 2008, $7M in 2009

Workout Bonuses: $500K in 2008, $100K per year for the rest of the contract.

Base Salaries (Cap Number)

2008: $645K ($9.145M)

2009: $1.9M ($9M)

2010: $8.895M ($9.995M)

2011: $5.9M ($7M)

2012: $8.4M ($9.5M)

2013: $10.4M ($11.5M)

If we have to assume Asante Samuel's contract, will Colts fans be fine with trading away pick No.65 for him to the Eagles?

Thoughts? Here are his contract details:

http://www.macsfootb...ct-details.html

The details on Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel's contract, and he'll make $32.14 million in the first three years of the deal. The contract looks like this:

Signing Bonus: $6M

Roster Bonuses: $7M in 2008, $7M in 2009

Workout Bonuses: $500K in 2008, $100K per year for the rest of the contract.

Base Salaries (Cap Number)

2008: $645K ($9.145M)

2009: $1.9M ($9M)

2010: $8.895M ($9.995M)

2011: $5.9M ($7M)

2012: $8.4M ($9.5M)

2013: $10.4M ($11.5M)

if he would sxtend it for less of a cap hit it would be ok but i would rather have Ladarious Webb for alot cheaper

no way eagles only want a third round pick

Cromartie, a former first rounder, came for a 3rd rounder, and that was a late or mid 3rd rounder.

QBs get more. So I can definitely see it, given that it is the first pick of round 3. Plus, assuming the contract should count for something easily.

Cromartie, a former first rounder, came for a 3rd rounder, and that was a late or mid 3rd rounder.

QBs get more. So I can definitely see it, given that it is the first pick of round 3. Plus, assuming the contract should count for something easily.

cromartie is not the same level as samuel

Here are a couple of things I don't like or think would work:

1. He's due a lot of money in the next couple of years, and with the PM situation and with many of our best players being FA's, I just don't see the Colts affording that contract.

2. The Eagles do want to get rid of Asante, but a 3rd rounder is a little bit of a stretch. We would have to give up a 2nd rounder for him, and with him being 30 years old, I don't think that's worth it either.

3. I watched him quite a bit this year, and he lacked motivation a lot of times, and I can imagine that he's not very happy having Nnambi and DRC breathing down his neck for #1 cornerback. If he comes here, he would be the #1 guy, but would he really like it here? I don't know, and I don't think it's worth risking it.

That's what I think.

No. The Colts don't need 30+ players at the point. Not ones that they give up high draft picks for anyway.

But the Eagles would gladly take the Colts' 3rd rounder this year. The Eagles are going to try and offload Samuel, and I wouldn't be the least surprised if they end up with a 4th rounder in a trade.

That is true but if we can pull it off for pick No.65 if the Eagles are looking to unload Asante, is it a good idea? That is my question.

Not even in the ballpark of a good idea.

1) No NFL team, at this point in his career, would be willing to take on the balance of that contract.

2) The only way the Colts would have an interest is if he is cut and willing to sign a more team-friendly contract.

3) He is an aging player. The Colts need to get younger.

4) The Colts need to keep all of their draft picks for this re-build they are going through. Not give up high picks for aging talent

I'd rather get someone in the draft and raise 'em up the Colts way at the cornerback position. That is, as long as the 'Colts way' does not entail the 15 yard cushions we've been accustomed to.

There is one person I would unload the big bucks for that plays for another team, and that's Big Carl Nicks. He IS the best guard in football, and has been for the last 3 years. He's young, and would immediately give us a top 5 Oline in the league....assuming Castonzo and Ijalana stay healthy, Joe Reitz improves like he did last year, and Mike Pollak can take over the reigns at center like I think he can.