Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign another Safety

TKnight24

With the lack of depth I can't believe people are talking about Butler getting cut.  He is the best nickel/slot corner we have, and probably going to play without Vontae.  Plus he is the best depth at safety we have.  Hooker has yet to show he can stay on the field so Butler is looking like a key asset right now.

44 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why?  Butler has looked really bad this year.

People get nostalgic with players. They remember his Denver pick or just that he's been somewhat reliable.

Ballard has said we're going to get younger. Unless you're a Luck or TY you are far from replaceable honestly. 

We were dead last in D, why would anyone be untouchable honestly? Not being condescending or anything.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

People get nostalgic with players. They remember his Denver pick or just that he's been somewhat reliable.

Ballard has said we're going to get younger. Unless you're a Luck or TY you are far from replaceable honestly. 

We were dead last in D, why would anyone be untouchable honestly? Not being condescending or anything.

You says this but yet Ballard is the guy who resigned him this off-season.  So that kinda hurts your point.  He is not cutting a depth guy and potential starter to shave years off of his starting D's average.

29 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

If Green was not a high draft pick would that change your mind?

I

I think he's shown improvement in each game. And you want him cut because? Because he was drafted as a project and looked like it his first year?

33 minutes ago, Archer said:

Putting together my 53, I had a problem finding a 4th S to keep.  Ended up with Williamson.  Now I suppose it'll be a newcomer...

Yeah, and Williamson has been terrible. Bad angles, terrible tackling, etc. He and Hightower, among others, have really stunk it up back there.

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Same. Especially since he's had a pretty decent preseason. I can't imagine they would just cut him after how well hes played

I'd go as far as to say Green has played CB on the outside better than everybody not named Davis or Wilson. For a guy that hasn't played the position, he's outperformed a bunch of 'experienced' CB's by a long shot. His run support has also been really solid. The kids has some high end athletic ability. 

45 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

With the lack of depth I can't believe people are talking about Butler getting cut.  He is the best nickel/slot corner we have, and probably going to play without Vontae.  Plus he is the best depth at safety we have.  Hooker has yet to show he can stay on the field so Butler is looking like a key asset right now.

This.  Cutting Butler at this point would be beyond stupid.

26 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You says this but yet Ballard is the guy who resigned him this off-season.  So that kinda hurts your point.  He is not cutting a depth guy and potential starter to shave years off of his starting D's average.

He booted Locke real quick after paying him in the same offseason.

I'm just going off them bringing in two S's in one day and simply stating Butler doesn't really have anything locked down. 

He's only signed this year for $3M. If Ballard thinks some young kid from another roster could be an upgrade, I wouldn't be shocked if he was let go.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Putting together my 53, I had a problem finding a 4th S to keep.  Ended up with Williamson.  Now I suppose it'll be a newcomer...

Farley, Butler, Green, Hooker.  Seems cut and dried to me.  Unless you're not counting Green as a S.  Then I could see the 4th being up in the air.

I had hopes for Powell, but he's shown nothing in the preseason. 

51 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Yeah, and Williamson has been terrible. Bad angles, terrible tackling, etc. He and Hightower, among others, have really stunk it up back there.

I was definitely thinking about those two guys with these latest moves we made. Hightower and Williamson are both terrible. And so is Graham.

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Either Geathers is about to retire or TJ Green has impressed at CB and will permanently play there or something else 

I'm not sure signing Earl Wolff IV has been the precursor to anyone retiring or permanently switching positions, like.......ever......   lol

42 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Farley, Butler, Green, Hooker.  Seems cut and dried to me.  Unless you're not counting Green as a S.  Then I could see the 4th being up in the air.

I had hopes for Powell, but he's shown nothing in the preseason. 

We will likely keep 5 safeties and not 4.   The fifth guy is depth and special teams.   Same with cornerback.     Teams typically keep 10 DB's on the roster.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We will likely keep 5 safeties and not 4.   The fifth guy is depth and special teams.   Same with cornerback.     Teams typically keep 10 DB's on the roster.

Could be.  We started with 4 last season.  It all depends on health.  If Vontae is battling an injury they'll probably keep 6 CBs.  

But they may keep 5 S since Butler can move to the nickel and Green can play CB in a pinch.  

Why the heck would Green be cut? He hasn't even been bad at preseason. He hasn't killed it by any means, but he has shown a ton of improvement from year 1 to warrant him keeping his job (on a position group that seems to be getting tattered with injuries and absences right now). 

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

If my memory is still working, and I make no promises that it does,  I believe Earl Wolff was a sleeper-draft favorite of our own Gavin!      That makes me hope Wolff makes the final roster and if he does,  he will become my sentimental favorite on the team!      Go Wolff-man!!     Go Gavin!!     Bring us a little bit of your magic!

:thmup:                   :colts:

The fear of Davis injury worse than thought might be the culprit. Colts posted an hour ago that Davis is seeking second opinion! These injuries to key players every year is getting really old! We have lacked depth for so long and it really hurts when we lose top guys. So Frustrating!!

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Why the heck would Green be cut? He hasn't even been bad at preseason. He hasn't killed it by any means, but he has shown a ton of improvement from year 1 to warrant him keeping his job (on a position group that seems to be getting tattered with injuries and absences right now). 

Yeah, the Green being cut talk is beyond silly. I think some just don't want to admit that its possible that he has improved because they hated Grigson so much.

5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I just think they don't like any of the depth at the position. So we only have Butler, Farley, and Hooker as legitimate safeties right now. TJ Green will probably either stay at corner or be cut on Saturday.

Butler is not a legitimate safety, he's good in coverage but that's about it... Doesn't have the size nor the consistency when it comes to tackling... Not to mention with Hooker being banged up... The safety position needs help. 

16 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah, the Green being cut talk is beyond silly. I think some just don't want to admit that its possible that he has improved because they hated Grigson so much.

Agreed, and I think people get too caught up in all that. We've all got our biases sure, but I feel like some people would rather be right/rather not admit they're wrong, then see certain players/coaches on the team succeed. 

1 minute ago, Smitto said:

Butler is not a legitimate safety, he's good in coverage but that's about it... Doesn't have the size nor the consistency when it comes to tackling... Not to mention with Hooker being banged up... The safety position needs help. 

Well all we need Butler to be is a coverage safety so he's fine. Also Hooker was back at practice today. We're going into the last preseason game where Butler, Farley, and Hooker will probably not play. We need safeties to play in that game, not necessarily major help at the position. Both of the safeties we signed will likely be gone Saturday.

6 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

If Green was not a high draft pick would that change your mind?

Actually, as far as i know, once a player has made the roster, it doesn't matter whether he was round 1 or round 7, or in between.  He is taught specifics of his job, an is asked to perform that job the best he can.  Productivity is not based or graded on a curve due to draft slot.  If there enough players better at that position to move them off the 53 man, so be it. But I do know that it is said if a newer play only plays as good as the current veteran, then the nod goes to the current player over the new guy.  The new guy has to play a notable notch above to supplant the guy, IOW.

And if you're a new guy with loads of unteachable talent, on a rookie contract, learning and continuing to grow in your teachable skills, then you stay too.  If you're not a finished product by the end of the rookie contract, then you get replaced by better, when they are acquired.

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

Well all we need Butler to be is a coverage safety so he's fine. Also Hooker was back at practice today. We're going into the last preseason game where Butler, Farley, and Hooker will probably not play. We need safeties to play in that game, not necessarily major help at the position. Both of the safeties we signed will likely be gone Saturday.

Hooker will play he needs the reps,