Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Banner at RT ... Intimidating

AustexColt

I don't know about you but when I look at the scrimmage pictures of Banner at RT, the DE looks small. The guy is huge and if someone can work on his footings, he will make Andrew a very happy QB. They should make Robert Mathis work with him fulltime on the speed rush. That should be sweeeeet.... huge payback.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere out there.....there is footage of Basham engaging Banner in drills.  I think it was maybe the Senior Bowl practices?

Yes, and Basham pushed him back in the pocket with ease. Would have pushed him in a QB's face.. Shows Basham's strength.

As for Banner. Lets see how he looks. Haeg and Clark are probably our guys on the right side to begin with. Both have the potential to be top notch at their positions. Banner's got a lot of potential, but he's raw. If Clark struggles, maybe Banner will be able to take over by the middle of the year.

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Yes, and Basham pushed him back in the pocket with ease. Would have pushed him in a QB's face.. Shows Basham's strength.

As for Banner. Lets see how he looks. Haeg and Clark are probably our guys on the right side to begin with. Both have the potential to be top notch at their positions. Banner's got a lot of potential, but he's raw. If Clark struggles, maybe Banner will be able to take over by the middle of the year.

I think Clark has good potential,I'm unsure about Haeg though. I feel as if he could be a Joe Reitz 2.0 which would be solid. Sometimes I feel like people are caught up in the word potential, and these guys never reach that point: 

Recent memories: Da'Rick Rodgers, DaRon Rodgers, and heck if Moncrief doesn't have a good season this year and only gets the ball in the redzone I would argue that he is just a guy with good size that Luck manages to get him the ball in the redzone and that's it. A guy that has a label of potential but never seems to find it.

9 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I think Clark has good potential,I'm unsure about Haeg though. I feel as if he could be a Joe Reitz 2.0 which would be solid. Sometimes I feel like people are caught up in the word potential, and these guys never reach that point: 

Recent memories: Da'Rick Rodgers, DaRon Rodgers, and heck if Moncrief doesn't have a good season this year and only gets the ball in the redzone I would argue that he is just a guy with good size that Luck manages to get him the ball in the redzone and that's it. A guy that has a label of potential but never seems to find it.

Remember Moncrief came out a year early. He really should be entering his 3rd season, but we all know the issues with why he came on out and entered the draft. So my point is. Not only has he dealt with injuries the last 2 years off and on, but.....He's young lol. So....I expect. 167% expect him to have his monster, breakout season this year. 1,000 plus yards and 8-12 TD's. Then we know TY will give us big time production as always. The wildcard is Dorsett or Aiken. If one of those guys can step up (HOPEFULLY DORSETT OH PLEASE GOD!!!!!)  and give us 600-800ish yards we'll have an unstoppable offense as I'm expecting a big jump from our OL. I disagree about Haeg. I think he can get stronger and become a top 20 Guard in the NFL to be honest. Clark has the potential to be great. We'll see where he's at this year, but he's got a ton of talent. That'll open up holes, and give Gore and Mack more holes to run through, and we should finally have a balanced offense without the D playing 2 deep safeties all the time knowing Lucks gonna air it out. Marlon Mack's gonna surprise the NFL. Wait on it.

20 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I don't know about you but when I look at the scrimmage pictures of Banner at RT, the DE looks small. The guy is huge and if someone can work on his footings, he will make Andrew a very happy QB.

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Banner's got a lot of potential, but he's raw.

Yeah, at this point, Banner just looks intimidating.  If he can improve his athleticism somehow, he could actually BE intimidating with that size.  We need him to go from a big ol' teddy bear to a monster dancing bear.

:please:

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I like good str over heag but heag can move better 

15 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I like good str over heag but heag can move better 

Agree to disagree lol. JMO, but I think Haeg has a lot of potential, and like I said above. I feel he can become a top 20 Guard in the NFL. Which is really good as there's a lot of good Guards. But IMO. Haeg's main issue is getting stronger. If he's added strength, with a year of experience I think he can be our guy at RG, and have a really good season. If he can just take that big step and become a really good G, the RT spot can just work itself out between Clark, Banner, and Good. I think its reasonable to expect a major improvement in our OL this year. Its great that Haeg played a ton, and now has a full year under his belt, and Clark got some much needed snaps and experience, as did Good. IMO. The RT spot is Clarks to lose, but Good and Banner will probably be challenging him. That's great. It should motivate everyone, and bring the best out of them.

49 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It's going to take more than Clark to get hurt or struggle for Banner to start.

the only other option is move haeg to RT and good to G and rather not see Haeg play RT. hes better at G

23 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Agree to disagree lol. JMO, but I think Haeg has a lot of potential, and like I said above. I feel he can become a top 20 Guard in the NFL. Which is really good as there's a lot of good Guards. But IMO. Haeg's main issue is getting stronger. If he's added strength, with a year of experience I think he can be our guy at RG, and have a really good season. If he can just take that big step and become a really good G, the RT spot can just work itself out between Clark, Banner, and Good. I think its reasonable to expect a major improvement in our OL this year. Its great that Haeg played a ton, and now has a full year under his belt, and Clark got some much needed snaps and experience, as did Good. IMO. The RT spot is Clarks to lose, but Good and Banner will probably be challenging him. That's great. It should motivate everyone, and bring the best out of them.

I agree with you , but the way I see it shaping up is Clark Rt to much length and potential, I eventually see him taking over the Lt spot in 2 years and constanzo moving to Rt and he will get a 3rd contract but at Rt money , but I would really like to have a mauler like banner but I don't see him beating out clark, heag,  good for them spots tbh. What do you think 

Tired of us not getting 4th and short via running plays, e.g. vs Jacksonville especially last year in London.

Just once, I'd love to see a lineup of Good and Banner during goal line formation. With Grover Stewart as fullback. Those 3 guys should figuratively push back 11 guys out of the stadium.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Banner is a project player.  Needs to learn to pass protect.  He has some potential but he's not someone we want to start on week 1.  

I don't mean to nit pick or split hairs...

But Banner played at USC,  so he knows how to pass protect.    They threw the ball all over the place.

He needs to drop some weight so he can move better and protect better.     But his basic pass protecting fundamentals are decent for a 4th round rookie.

But I'd very much agree with you that we don't want him starting week 1.

On 5/31/2017 at 4:33 PM, throwing BBZ said:

a 355lb Good at RT = Luck on IR

In a few weeks the team will reveal 2017 playing weights....

I'm hopeful that Good's weight will be lower.      How much lower is the question.

And either way,  I'd prefer Good at RG over RT.      I think he's better inside than outside...