Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Belichick Cuts Player One Day Before The Sb

reddmmann

To Bill Belichick, the NFL is just a business. He has no loyalty to his players whatsoever. Even Tom Brady is subject to be traded eventually, just as he did Vrabel, Moss, and Seymour. I wish Belichick would find a compromise on his business ethics and treat his players with more respect.

To Bill Belichick, the NFL is just a business. He has no loyalty to his players whatsoever. Even Tom Brady is subject to be traded eventually, just as he did Vrabel, Moss, and Seymour. I wish Belichick would find a compromise on his business ethics and treat his players with more respect.

I hope Jim Irsay read your post...letting Peyton go would be the cruelest and coldest business decision in the history of NFL.

Just to clarify, the guy WILL get a Superbowl ring. He just wont get to experience the Superbowl.

Anyways, I just found out this is the 3rd time this guy has been cut this season alone.

http://sports.yahoo....-004651704.html

Also, in the same link, according to Boston Herald, "The move has no disciplinary motive behind it. The Patriots simply wanted another defensive lineman on the roster." Underwood loved his team so much, he shaved on the Patriots logo to the back of his head. There's no other way to put this - Belichick prizes business over morals, which makes him a superb Imperial Sith Lord.

darth_sidious_6.jpg

+500 Dark Side Points

I just found out this is the 3rd time this guy has been cut this season alone.

Also, in the same link, according to Boston Herald, "The move has no disciplinary motive behind it. The Patriots simply wanted another defensive lineman on the roster." He loved his team so much, he shaved on the Patriots logo to the back of his head.

To anyone who misunderstands though, he will still get a ring if the Patriots win. He just won't get to experience the Superbowl.

Good job on clarifying.

Just to clarify, the guy WILL get a Superbowl ring. He just wont get to experience the Superbowl.

Anyways, I just found out this is the 3rd time this guy has been cut this season alone.

Also, in the same link, according to Boston Herald, "The move has no disciplinary motive behind it. The Patriots simply wanted another defensive lineman on the roster." Underwood loved his team so much, he shaved on the Patriots logo to the back of his head. There's no other way to put this - Belichick prizes business over morals, which makes him a superb Imperial Sith Lord.

darth_sidious_6.jpg

+500 Dark Side Points

By your standards, Jim Irsay will be THE Devil if he lets Peyton go...the ULTIMATE evil...

By your standards, Jim Irsay will be THE Devil if he lets Peyton go...the ULTIMATE evil...

Big difference. The Colts season is over. Irsay wouldn't be cutting Manning during their season, and certainly not before a Superbowl (since obviously, the Colts are not playing in one). Irsay even honored Manning by leaving him on the active roster. Tiquan Underwood is also only 24 years old, so retirement and injury concerns are not an issue, unlike Manning. Plus, as a young player, Underwood (and his parents) are no doubt devastated he wont be helping his teammates in some capacity.

There's no other way to put this - Belichick prizes business over morals, which makes him a superb Imperial Sith Lord.

I'm gonna go ahead and fix your post to say what you meant...

There's no actual way to put this - Belichick prizes busineas over emotion, which makes him one of the best coaches in NFL history

Big difference. Irsay wouldn't be cutting Manning during their season, and certainly not before a Superbowl (since obviously, the Colts are not playing in one). The Colts season is over. Irsay even honored Manning by leaving him on the active roster.

Cutting a minor player to improve your chances of winning the SB versus firing THE face of the team...a living legend who made Colts what they are (as this season's Colt's record so starkly reveals), a man who WANTS to finish his career as a Colt (along with all NFL fans). I feel letting Manning go would be the ULTIMATE evil, especially if done for cash considerations....but let us agree to disagree on this one.

There's no actual way to put this - Belichick prizes busineas over emotion, which makes him one of the best coaches in NFL history

Football is all about emotion. This is especially true the day before a Superbowl. Letting a player go the day before is nothing more than a distraction. There had to be at least one teammate in the Patriots locker room hurt by this decision. The decision makes sense from an X's and O's standpoint, but from an emotional perspective, it makes no sense at all.

Football is all about emotion. This is especially true the day before a Superbowl. Letting a player go the day before is nothing more than a distraction. There had to be at least one teammate in the Patriots locker room hurt by this decision. The decision makes sense from an X's and O's standpoint, but from an emotional perspective, it makes no sense at all.

So you agree with me? Peyton must retire as a COLT...PERIOD.

So you agree with me? Peyton must retire as a COLT...PERIOD.

I was speaking from Belichick's perspective, which I mentioned is a difference scenario from what Irsay might do with Peyton. Anyways, we're going off topic. This is about Belichick, not Peyton. Plus, Irsay has made no decision on Peyton yet anyways.

The fact is Belichick cut a player before the Superbowl. Now he has caused an undue distraction. Websites are reporting it like crazy and I'm certain a teammate in the Patriots locker room is upset in some capacity. Unlike the Colts, the Patriots still have a game to play, so avoiding distractions is crucial, especially the day before the Superbowl.

I was speaking from New England's perspective, which I mentioned is a difference scenario from what the Colts might do with Peyton. Anyways, we're going off topic. This is about Bill Belichick, not Peyton. Plus, no decision has been made on Peyton anyways.

The fact is Bill Belichick cut a player before the Superbowl. Now he has caused an undue distraction. Websites are reporting it like crazy and I'm certain a teammate in the Patriots locker room is upset in some capacity. Unlike the Colts, the Patriots still have a game to play, so avoiding distractions is crucial.

"we're going off topic"

I disagree...Ultimately it is about doing what is best for the team. And it is a business too...

Seriously, this is not a "distraction" for the Patriots...They are in game mode. I am sure they have not even heard of this "fire storm".

It is a business, and in business, the business is winning...This is not the little leagues or the girl scouts...this is the stage where you are required to do your best.

But like you pointed out, it is also about loyalty...not just money. That is why I and millions of other NFL fans pray Peyton will retire as a Colt.

I hope Manning will retire as a Colt too. If he does get cut, I'll discuss that more when the time comes (personally, I think Luck gets benched and we start Peyton).

Anyways, it's impossible to measure or give evidence of distractions without being a part of the Patriots organization, so I can't deny if it is or is not a distraction. Granted, even if it is a distraction, it is only a minor one, but I'm a firm believer even minor distractions are best avoided. Also, you're right - the media firestorm wont effect them, but when a teammate you know doesn't show up to work one day, you start to wonder why and for what reasons. They don't need the media to tell them anything; they've already figured it out for themselves, and I can imagine at least one player feels hurt for the guy.

Belichick uses a good part of the 53 man roster. WRs healthy so he cuts bottom end of WRs. (Chad Johnson was not on 53 man roster last game)

DE has been thinned out and Dline is imperative in finishing a game by being fresh via rotation. Somehow he's trying to win the game. Makes no sense.

I strongly disagree.

Back on topic, I would hate to be that player. What do the Pats gain by adding this new guy? He hasn't practiced with them, has he? He isn't part of the gameplan...

Belichick uses a good part of the 53 man roster. WRs healthy so he cuts bottom end of WRs. (Chad Johnson was not on 53 man roster last game)

DE has been thinned out and Dline is imperative in finishing a game by being fresh via rotation. Somehow he's trying to win the game. Makes no sense.

Still, adding a D-lineman who hasn't practiced with them and isn't in the gameplan and has to be brought up to speed with 2 weeks of preparation in less than 24 hours

I hope Manning will retire as a Colt too. If he does get cut, I'll discuss that more when the time comes (personally, I think Luck gets benched and we start Peyton).

Anyways, it's impossible to measure or give evidence of distractions without being a part of the Patriots organization, so I can't deny if it is or is not a distraction. Granted, even if it is a distraction, it is only a minor one, but I'm a firm believer even minor distractions are best avoided. That's just how I see it. Also, you're right - this firestorm wont effect them, but when a teammate you know doesn't show up to work one day, you start to wonder why and for what reasons. They don't need the media to tell them anything - they've already figured it out for themselves.

"I hope Manning will retire as a Colt too."

We are in agreement. Good talking to you. Good night.

"I hope Manning will retire as a Colt too."

We are in agreement. Good talking to you. Good night.

lol alright, good night, but just because I hope he retires a Colt doesn't mean I'm changing my opinion on Belichick's decision to cut Underwood :P. Belichick traded Vrabel, Moss, and Seymour. You don't see the Colts trading any of their veterans. At least when a player is cut, they can explore their options in free agency. It's not being loyal to Peyton, but it's better than trading him!

Big difference. The Colts season is over. Irsay wouldn't be cutting Manning during their season, and certainly not before a Superbowl (since obviously, the Colts are not playing in one). Irsay even honored Manning by leaving him on the active roster. Tiquan Underwood is also only 24 years old, so retirement and injury concerns are not an issue, unlike Manning. Plus, as a young player, Underwood (and his parents) are no doubt devastated he wont be helping his teammates in some capacity.

Yup...way less concerns about the level of play of Tiquan Underwood going forward than of Peyton Manning...

Back on topic, I would hate to be that player. What do the Pats gain by adding this new guy? He hasn't practiced with them, has he? He isn't part of the gameplan...

According to the Patriots website:

"Silvestro, 23, was originally signed by New England as a rookie free agent out of Rutgers on July 27, 2011 and released on Sept. 3, 2011. He joined the New England practice squad on Sept. 28 and then was signed to the 53-man roster on Dec. 23 and saw action in his first NFL game in the victory over Miami on Dec. 24, registering two assisted tackles. Silvestro, 6-3, 267 pounds, was released on Dec. 29 and signed back to the practice squad on Dec. 31."

http://www.patriots...._headline_stack

So he's another one of Bill Belichick's players who got cut and resigned a lot (I hate when Belichick does that - it feels like a slap in the face to the player/s). Silvestro does have some exposure to New England's defense, but because he's not a starter, was shuffled in-and-out of the team, and was promoted to the active roster on such short notice, I would have rather them avoided the headaches and just keep Underwood.

According to the Patriots website:

"Silvestro, 23, was originally signed by New England as a rookie free agent out of Rutgers on July 27, 2011 and released on Sept. 3, 2011. He joined the New England practice squad on Sept. 28 and then was signed to the 53-man roster on Dec. 23 and saw action in his first NFL game in the victory over Miami on Dec. 24, registering two assisted tackles. Silvestro, 6-3, 267 pounds, was released on Dec. 29 and signed back to the practice squad on Dec. 31."

http://www.patriots...._headline_stack

So he's another one of Bill Belichick's players who got cut and resigned a lot (I hate when Belichick does that - it feels like a slap in the face to the player/s). Silvestro does have some exposure to New England's defense, but because he's not a starter and was promoted to the active roster on such short notice, I would have rather them avoided the headaches and just keep Underwood.

"I hate"

Why?

Still, adding a D-lineman who hasn't practiced with them and isn't in the gameplan and has to be brought up to speed with 2 weeks of preparation in less than 24 hours

Well if he was on the PS then he's practiced. Isn't that why they call it practice squad.

He might not play but there for injury backup. Whereas Underwood wasn't gonna play at all.

Anyway,obviously BB had a reason.

Anyways, it's impossible to measure or give evidence of distractions without being a part of the Patriots organization, so I can't deny if it is or is not a distraction. Granted, even if it is a distraction, it is only a minor one, but I'm a firm believer even minor distractions are best avoided. Also, you're right - the media firestorm wont effect them, but when a teammate you know doesn't show up to work one day, you start to wonder why and for what reasons. They don't need the media to tell them anything; they've already figured it out for themselves, and I can imagine at least one player feels hurt for the guy.

Underwood didn't take many reps in practice this week...and they wanted this guy to play ok nickel downs because they will be rotating their defensive linemen...they had a spot on the roster so they made the move...he's still getting a game check and he's still getting a ring.

Quite frankly I don't really see why this bugs you so much...it's the way Belichick does things, we've known it for years, and the results are there. How can anyone criticize his methods when they work? Emotion is a big part of football, yes...but making business decisions based on emotion will cripple you.

Silvestro has practiced with them... he is on the 8 man practice squad, those guys practice with the team every single day but they are not allowed on the active roster unless someone is cut to make room for them. This has happened to Underwood 3 times this season, he only had 3 catches all year and they also needed someone to come in and play in the wedge formation on special teams in place of Gronkowski to give his ankle a rest.

This makes perfect sense form a gameplan stand point, but obviously everyone getting all emotional likes to look more into it than they should. He will still get a ring and i would bet that he will be on the sidelines with the team.

The other reason they probably waited until the last day to release him was because if they did it 1-2 weeks ago, he would become a free agent and then who knows what crazy stuff could happen, the Giants could bring him in and he could divulge the gameplan or something crazy like that.

Also Remedy, your posts are hilarious.. you are so blinded by your hatred that you don't even use common sense in your arguments half the time. Everything the Patriots and BB do to you is classless and evil, even when its somthing that to anyone who has critical thinking skills and removes emotion from the equation can see that its an intelligent decision and also is consistent with how they've been doing things all year long.

It also allowed Underwood to get to experience the whole week of being at the Superbowl, which is something he would have been denied if they cut him earlier. There are many ways to look at this, but i just laugh at the people who try to paint Belichick out to be some heartless, evil coach that was trying to crush somebodies dreams... Its a business, he had to make a roster move to give his team a better chance to win the game and he made that move, like he has done countless times all year long.

Ventrone has been cut and signed to the practice squad like 15 times this year... that is something he has always done, he takes advantage of the 8 players on his practice squad, but to do that you have to cut people and then sign them back to the practice squad.

Oh and it also allowed Underwood to be a part of the team photo... lots of positive things that happened for him by them waiting until the day before the game, but i wouldn't expect most Colts fans to look at any of those points, they'll only approach it from an angle that paints Belichick and the team in a negative light.

Silvestro has practiced with them... he is on the 8 man practice squad, those guys practice with the team every single day but they are not allowed on the active roster unless someone is cut to make room for them. This has happened to Underwood 3 times this season, he only had 3 catches all year and they also needed someone to come in and play in the wedge formation on special teams in place of Gronkowski to give his ankle a rest.

This makes perfect sense form a gameplan stand point, but obviously everyone getting all emotional likes to look more into it than they should. He will still get a ring and i would bet that he will be on the sidelines with the team.

The other reason they probably waited until the last day to release him was because if they did it 1-2 weeks ago, he would become a free agent and then who knows what crazy stuff could happen, the Giants could bring him in and he could divulge the gameplan or something crazy like that.

Also Remedy, your posts are hilarious.. you are so blinded by your hatred that you don't even use common sense in your arguments half the time. Everything the Patriots and BB do to you is classless and evil, even when its somthing that to anyone who has critical thinking skills and removes emotion from the equation can see that its an intelligent decision and also is consistent with how they've been doing things all year long.

Didn't think about the Gronk thing, good point