Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offer Peyton A New And Reasonable Contract

GoGoColts

The reality is that Peyton should be on this team if he will be ready to play this fall. The Colts gave Peyton a huge gift last year even though he never played a snap. Peyton's deal needs to be redone to reflect his health status and his commitment to bringing in talent. The fact is, Peyton's market value has dropped. He cannot command the salary that he once did.

Peyton's should be gettting no more the 15 million per at this point. I am tired of the games. Offer Peyton a new and reasonable contract, if he doesn't take it so be it. NO MORE GAMES!

The reality is that Peyton should be on this team if he will be ready to play this fall. The Colts gave Peyton a huge gift last year even though he never played a snap. Peyton's deal needs to be redone to reflect his health status and his commitment to bringing in talent. The fact is, Peyton's market value has dropped. He cannot command the salary that he once did.

Peyton's should be gettting no more the 15 million per at this point. I am tired of the games. Offer Peyton a new and reasonable contract, if he doesn't take it so be it. NO MORE GAMES!

I dont see him playing games, he is waiting as long as he can.....just like he said he would. Its the media who are playing games. I have absolute confidence that the right decision for the Colts, will be made. It may or may not make you personally happy.

Why are we calling it games? I mean, doesn't he have until March 8 to make a decision? Really, there are a ton of decisions to be made by that point, and I don't think any of us could possibly fathom what either Irsay or Manning have to face in the days and weeks ahead.

I doubt it's a game to either of them. I think the media, and a select few around here, have made it out to be something more (or less) than it really is. I also highly doubt that there's even an ounce of hostility between them, despite what everyone is trying to suggest. They've played the media, the sports networks, and the bloggers for fools this entire time. What in the world gives anyone here the authority to suggest they have the faintest idea as to what's transpiring?

I dont see him playing games, he is waiting as long as he can.....just like he said he would. Its the media who are playing games. I have absolute confidence that the right decision for the Colts, will be made. It may or may not make you personally happy.

What would make me happy is if Irsay and Manning stopped tallking junk in the media and got to business.

The stories in the press sure are doing a good job of whipping people into frenzies. It's not a game, it's not a little PR warfare battle between Jim and Peyton. It's a very big business decision, let's not make it out as if they're a fighting married couple.

The stories in the press sure are doing a good job of whipping people into frenzies. It's not a game, it's not a little PR warfare battle between Jim and Peyton. It's a very big business decision, let's not make it out as if they're a fighting married couple.

You are playing semantics. You say that it isn't a game, but you admit it is manipulation. Games= manipulation, PR wars, and nonsense. ,

Media back and forth = games

Other than the fabrications and speculation by the media outlets, what "back-and-forth" have Irsay and Peyton been contributing to?

Everything they said has pretty much echoed or been in agreement with one another. Every time a news outlet, or a fanbase thinks they know something, one of those two comes along and dispells it.

That's not a game. We are making it a game. We are getting all hyped up over nothing. That's what this really is: nothing.

They will make the decision in their timing, just as they always said they would. They aren't guys who just sit around and watch money come in. They work more by 8 am Monday morning than most of us do in a week. I am not too worried about whether or not something will get done. It doesn't have to get done now. They have over a month until things potentially get hairy. Even then, the decision could be to release Manning in order to set up a new contract (a la AJ Hawk).

Its Manning that keeps fanning the flames. Irsay should just be quiet and let Manning have enough rope to hang himself. Paid Manning 26M to sit on the bench last year. Dont see paying him another 30+M to sit on the bench another year, then start Luck for a year then tell Luck next year he will be on the bench. I dont think so.... Either way I wish they both would just leave town for a week. They are tarnishing our rep. Funny that the two men responsible for bringing the Super Bowl to Indy are doing thier best to ruin it. For the love of GOD shut up for a few days would ya before we ship Colts to LA and get our own team. Christ.....

IMO this situation should have never reared it's head. All Mr.Irsay had to do after cleaning the F.O. and coaching staff out, and hired Grigson was had a sit downwith Grigson and Manning and told them his plan for the team. Instead, he kept everyone in the dark and fed them crap(made them mushrooms). IMO Mr. Irsay had more to do with this mess than any one.

Other than the fabrications and speculation by the media outlets, what "back-and-forth" have Irsay and Peyton been contributing to?

Everything they said has pretty much echoed or been in agreement with one another. Every time a news outlet, or a fanbase thinks they know something, one of those two comes along and dispells it.

That's not a game. We are making it a game. We are getting all hyped up over nothing. That's what this really is: nothing.

They will make the decision in their timing, just as they always said they would. They aren't guys who just sit around and watch money come in. They work more by 8 am Monday morning than most of us do in a week. I am not too worried about whether or not something will get done. It doesn't have to get done now. They have over a month until things potentially get hairy. Even then, the decision could be to release Manning in order to set up a new contract (a la AJ Hawk).

Direct quotes from Peyton, Peyton's agent, and Irsay's Twitter do not qualify as media fabrication or speculation.

Its Manning that keeps fanning the flames. Irsay should just be quiet and let Manning have enough rope to hang himself. Paid Manning 26M to sit on the bench last year. Dont see paying him another 30+M to sit on the bench another year, then start Luck for a year then tell Luck next year he will be on the bench. I dont think so.... Either way I wish they both would just leave town for a week. They are tarnishing our rep. Funny that the two men responsible for bringing the Super Bowl to Indy are doing thier best to ruin it. For the love of GOD shut up for a few days would ya before we ship Colts to LA and get our own team. Christ.....

I want to say " not sure if serious", but you are.... you made some sorta kinda ish sense up to a point.

I promise you Peyton and Irsay wont mess up the Giants Pats game, and the team isn't moving to LA. Better?

I want to say " not sure if serious", but you are.... you made some sorta kinda ish sense up to a point.

I promise you Peyton and Irsay wont mess up the Giants Pats game, and the team isn't moving to LA. Better?

Just had to vent I feel better. Rather have Peyton and Luck honestly. I hope for the best for all involved and us Colts fans.

I kinda have my own ideas of what is transpiring in coltsland. Although i definitely think the media is blowing all the comments way out of proportion. I believe (hope) irsay/manning are playing a contract chess game. If you listen to what both camps are saying...it is possible

I just want the focus to be back on the two SB teams and the great job that Indianapolis is doing at hosting this grand event. All you had to do was be in the SB Village tonight to see what an unbelievable job this city (and its volunteers) are doing. Yea, it was hard for police to keep the crowds moving but an influx of around 250,000-400,000 people all at once tonight was just unbelievable and you can't blame anyone for that. No one could have imagined that so many people came from all the ohio-valley and adjacent states all on one night. Those estimates are from the police people, from the police, there was so many ppl down there it was transformed into a city unto it self. Again, unbelievable.

Why are we calling it games? I mean, doesn't he have until March 8 to make a decision? Really, there are a ton of decisions to be made by that point, and I don't think any of us could possibly fathom what either Irsay or Manning have to face in the days and weeks ahead.

I doubt it's a game to either of them. I think the media, and a select few around here, have made it out to be something more (or less) than it really is. I also highly doubt that there's even an ounce of hostility between them, despite what everyone is trying to suggest. They've played the media, the sports networks, and the bloggers for fools this entire time. What in the world gives anyone here the authority to suggest they have the faintest idea as to what's transpiring?

drama = ratings.. / hits...

sad but true.

The media and the agents are the ones playing the games. Nobody knows for sure if he is going to be ready. Or can make it through a season if he does get ready. Muscle fatigue is going to be a problem even if he does get to 100% due to muscle atrophy. Especially if we dont end up with more of a running game amd our qb is throwing 45+ times a game. If I understand it correctly, Peyton counts as over 10 million against cap even if he is cut. I love Peyton but wouldnt want to be the one having to make this decison.

IMO this situation should have never reared it's head. All Mr.Irsay had to do after cleaning the F.O. and coaching staff out, and hired Grigson was had a sit downwith Grigson and Manning and told them his plan for the team. Instead, he kept everyone in the dark and fed them crap(made them mushrooms). IMO Mr. Irsay had more to do with this mess than any one.

I cant agree more. Jim Irsay should have everyone one on the same page here. As soon as the firings started happening he should have been on the phone with Peyton and at least told him to hang in there a few weeks until he could get the personal in there to get everything back on track again. Then he should have made sure that Grigs and Peyton sat down right away and got on the same page together. There is no reason the the new GM hadnt even talked to Peyton on the phone yet when he had his first press conference. He had been there a few days already. Irsay made an enviroment that had everyone in the organization uncertain about thier futures. On top of that all he was saying about Peyton was it depends on his health, then you fires the conditioning coach that is working with him to get better! He couldnt have waited on that important personel move? Really? Irsay has kept everyone in the dark. Thats not going to work in this situation. You cant tell Peyton he might not play for the Colts anymore, then not expect him to make sure the rest of the league knows he isnt crippled in a wheel chair. He has the right to show the league he is getting healthy.

And to all the peeps that thinks they should just shut up. Your right. But, the media and the public have driven the story to this level. Not them. And the SuperBowl is in thier backyard. What did you expect to happen? The media is chumping at the bit to get a sound bite from anyone. Not just them. Every Colt and sometime non Colt that gets interview, a Peyton/Irsay question gets brought up. Its all about a story line.

I think if Peyton leaves for another team it will be about money for him. Irsay will want to restructure more than likely. It has always been about Peyton here & paying him ungodly amounts of money. Times are a changin unfortunately/fortunately. Peyton definitely likes the Large dollar amounts, as evidenced by his 800 different tv commercials/sponsorships. I doubt he will take a pay cut...

jmo of course

Peyton cant take any less than hes worth. if he does hes ^messing^ over the next qb in a similar situation trying to get a big contract.

also what happens if another teams offers him a bigger contract than the Colts. should Peyton take a paycut to remain loyal to the Colts when they wouldnt remain loyal to the contract they signed less than a year ago. Peytons injury came from playing for us, we have no right to ask him to make sacrifices for us when hes obviously been putting his body on the line for us for 13 yeras. Imagine if your boss tried to give you a paycut for an injury you received on the job.

if he comes back as good as he was before and takes a lesser contract. we >>>ed him.

If anything peytons value has went up, just for that fact that he is very well likely to hit the market so why should he re work his contract... fans need to realize that peyton is ready to move on if need be, he understands its a business.. i just hope some of us do as well.

Right. And it's not about money.

If Peyton has enough arm strength and is good enough to play for another team then he should just stay in Indy. If he were to sign with another team wouldn't he likely command another $20+ million signing bonus plus a high guaranteed portion of salary for the upcoming season? His agent is going to make sure that he gets a front-loaded contract like he has now. How many owners would be willing to risk that money not knowing if Peyton would be able to play at all or play at a high level?

When they signed the current contract, no one knew how bad things would get with the nerve issues. I don't think Irsay would have signed it knowing that Peyton would have nerve issues and have to undergo that fusion surgery.

If Peyton has enough arm strength and is good enough to play for another team then he should just stay in Indy. If he were to sign with another team wouldn't he likely command another $20+ million signing bonus plus a high guaranteed portion of salary for the upcoming season? His agent is going to make sure that he gets a front-loaded contract like he has now. How many owners would be willing to risk that money not knowing if Peyton would be able to play at all or play at a high level?

When they signed the current contract, no one knew how bad things would get with the nerve issues. I don't think Irsay would have signed it knowing that Peyton would have nerve issues and have to undergo that fusion surgery.

Exactly.

Given the current uncertainties around PM's performance ability, I doubt many NFL teams would be comfortable providing anything more than a 2-year deal, that is even (not front-loaded), if PM became a free agent.

Exactly.

Given the current uncertainties around PM's performance ability, I doubt many NFL teams would be comfortable providing anything more than a 2-year deal, that is even (not front-loaded), if PM became a free agent.

I believe that will depend on the workout. Once he's released, I could see him putting on a workout like Luck will do at Stanford. I'd say every team will show, including the Patriots,Packers, and teams that have no use for him just to see what he has. Of course he could limit that work out to teams that he would be interested in playing for, but if he shows that he can perform I could see a higher than expected contract worked out, and maybe some conditions that if he is forced to retire that he agrees to pay x back, so they can recover some relief. It will all depend on how healthy he is. If I were setting it up for Manning, I'd have it set up like a normal week of practice on multiple days, and then a simulated game on Sunday.

I'm not so sure Irsay was so gung ho with paying him top dollar, largest contract every, highest in the NFL, more than Brady etc, I think his ego got in the way. We are paying for that now.

As honorable as he is, what makes anyone think he takes a pay cut so the new guy can come in only to be over his shoulder? If they offer Peyton much less than Miami or etc, I don't think he'll stay no matter how loyal he is.

Direct quotes from Peyton, Peyton's agent, and Irsay's Twitter do not qualify as media fabrication or speculation.

The media spins direct quotes all the time. The message it self is correct but then the media speculates what is really being said.

The media spins direct quotes all the time. The message it self is correct but then the media speculates what is really being said.

Boy, you really seem to have some sort of personal vendetta for the media. It seems here lately every post you make has some derogatory stance against them. If they were having a 24 hr. long lovefest for everything Manning, would you still be so jaded.

Boy, you really seem to have some sort of personal vendetta for the media. It seems here lately every post you make has some derogatory stance against them. If they were having a 24 hr. long lovefest for everything Manning, would you still be so jaded.

Hey, if you don't like the message, kill the messenger. :ninja:

Well, since all were getting is media spin, I don't have much to talk about. And im not jaded for calling out sports media for what it is.