Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offer Peyton A New And Reasonable Contract

GoGoColts

The reality is that Peyton should be on this team if he will be ready to play this fall. The Colts gave Peyton a huge gift last year even though he never played a snap. Peyton's deal needs to be redone to reflect his health status and his commitment to bringing in talent. The fact is, Peyton's market value has dropped. He cannot command the salary that he once did.

Peyton's should be gettting no more the 15 million per at this point. I am tired of the games. Offer Peyton a new and reasonable contract, if he doesn't take it so be it. NO MORE GAMES!

Obviously, Peyton is not a $28 mil man right now..

But its not so much the cash (Irsay is Mr. big bucks and Manning has made him millions)

Its the salary cap...as others have mentioned here in much more detail than I can..

...we need Mathis and Wayne and Saturday (Jeff doesnt make that much) too, if Peyton retunrs

Plus the rules on what and when you can do to change a signed NFL contract...are thick

Those 'games' have to be played...I guess

But I go back to your 1st sentence.

"The reality is that Peyton should be on this team if he will be ready to play this fall."

I cant agree more..

Well, since all were getting is media spin, I don't have much to talk about. And im not jaded for calling out sports media for what it is.

I guess my question would be, is it really media spin or is it just because you don't agree with what is being said? To me, they are just going over any and all possible scenario's the Colts have to choose from and then pointing out the most likely. I don't disagree with them for the most part. It's a very reasonable assumption the Colts release Manning because of the downright vulgar cap hit for a 36 yr. old QB that may never fully recover his full nerve function. I don't get why this is such a bad thing from the media unless of course, you just don't agree.

As far as the Irsay vs. Manning stuff going on, well its plain to see that there are difference's of opinions between them. I know Irsay has tweeted that things are all hunky dory but I think its a little naive to believe that. He is just trying to pour water on the fire before it gets out of control. I really haven't seen much media spin at all. They have offered their opinions on the subject and thats it. You don't have to agree, but to be on a rampage about it and call them out constantly does seem a little jaded IMO.

The media has offered there opinions as if that's what will happen, at every turn. That is spin. And there's every reason to do so, ratings equal $$$.

I listen, I wont lie but I take it all for a grain of salt.

I take direct quotes, interviews and make up my own opinion.

The media has offered there opinions as if that's what will happen, at every turn. That is spin. And there's every reason to do so, ratings equal $$$.

I listen, I wont lie but I take it all for a grain of salt.

I take direct quotes, interviews and make up my own opinion.

I, too, take all this speculation with massive amounts of salt, while I wait to hear the official announcements. Of particular interest to me, will be announcements from:

1) Jim Irsay

2) Peyton Manning

3) The doctors, trainers and coaches employed by the Colts that provide information to Mr. Irsay on Peyton's rehab progress.

Everything else to me is conjecture and speculation, even though some may be entertaining.

IMO this situation should have never reared it's head. All Mr.Irsay had to do after cleaning the F.O. and coaching staff out, and hired Grigson was had a sit downwith Grigson and Manning and told them his plan for the team. Instead, he kept everyone in the dark and fed them crap(made them mushrooms). IMO Mr. Irsay had more to do with this mess than any one.

I cant agree more. Jim Irsay should have everyone one on the same page here. As soon as the firings started happening he should have been on the phone with Peyton and at least told him to hang in there a few weeks until he could get the personal in there to get everything back on track again. Then he should have made sure that Grigs and Peyton sat down right away and got on the same page together. There is no reason the the new GM hadnt even talked to Peyton on the phone yet when he had his first press conference. He had been there a few days already. Irsay made an enviroment that had everyone in the organization uncertain about thier futures. On top of that all he was saying about Peyton was it depends on his health, then you fires the conditioning coach that is working with him to get better! He couldnt have waited on that important personel move? Really? Irsay has kept everyone in the dark. Thats not going to work in this situation. You cant tell Peyton he might not play for the Colts anymore, then not expect him to make sure the rest of the league knows he isnt crippled in a wheel chair. He has the right to show the league he is getting healthy.

And the fact that Irsay did not do any of this should provide good insight on how he intends on handling this situation. Irsay is not dumb, he knows exactly what he is doing here.

And the fact that Irsay did not do any of this should provide good insight on how he intends on handling this situation. Irsay is not dumb, he knows exactly what he is doing here.

Why do you think he knows what he is doing exactly? What proof do you have that Irsay has any idea how to run a football team. I am not talking about owning a team. But, running a team. That is what Polian did for him all those great years. He might have signed off at the end, but he let Polian run the team. They had a great run. Polian is gone now and I can agree with that. But, what gives you the idea that Irsay knows how to run a team? He really never had to. So to say he knows what he is doing is a big leap of faith. He might know, I hope so. But, he has never done it before.

Why do you think he knows what he is doing exactly? What proof do you have that Irsay has any idea how to run a football team. I am not talking about owning a team. But, running a team. That is what Polian did for him all those great years. He might have signed off at the end, but he let Polian run the team. They had a great run. Polian is gone now and I can agree with that. But, what gives you the idea that Irsay knows how to run a team? He really never had to. So to say he knows what he is doing is a big leap of faith. He might know, I hope so. But, he has never done it before.

I think Jim Irsay was GM of the Colts for about 10 years or so.

I meant he knows what he is doing in terms to how he is choosing to deal with Peyton. There have been no reassurances given to Peyton during the midst of all of these changes to the chagrin of many fans. But that is because Irsay is approaching the decision from a business perspective and separating from the emotional/sentimental ties.

Your comments about Irsay as a GM are correct which is why he hired Polian and now Grigson. However, in this situation, he is operating in his capacity as an owner of a multi-million dollar business responsible for sustaining its long term future. He has plenty of experience as a business man. He has football people around him to advise him. He learned from his GM days that he needs to have this at all times. He will look at the situation and make a business decision, considering the input of his GM, assessing Peyton's health status, sitting down & talking to Peyton himself and then based on all info available weigh the costs and benefits of each option before reaching the decision that he believes to be in the best interest of the franchise going forward. You can't do that if you get too caught up in the emotional side of things. It can be considered along with other factors but can not be the primary determining factor.

Some of the NFL gurus are actually right about one thing, imo. There aren't that many teams that can actually retool their entire offense to accomadate Peyton's philosophy and scheme. He would just be an accurate passer in other schemes as opposed to a genius in our scheme. However, Arians and Christensen know him and he could pick up where he left off with the Colts. He might not have the upper hand in this "game". I think Irsay does.

I meant he knows what he is doing in terms to how he is choosing to deal with Peyton. There have been no reassurances given to Peyton during the midst of all of these changes to the chagrin of many fans. But that is because Irsay is approaching the decision from a business perspective and separating from the emotional/sentimental ties.

Your comments about Irsay as a GM are correct which is why he hired Polian and now Grigson. However, in this situation, he is operating in his capacity as an owner of a multi-million dollar business responsible for sustaining its long term future. He has plenty of experience as a business man. He has football people around him to advise him. He learned from his GM days that he needs to have this at all times. He will look at the situation and make a business decision, considering the input of his GM, assessing Peyton's health status, sitting down & talking to Peyton himself and then based on all info available weigh the costs and benefits of each option before reaching the decision that he believes to be in the best interest of the franchise going forward. You can't do that if you get too caught up in the emotional side of things. It can be considered along with other factors but can not be the primary determining factor.

Of course he is a business man. That is what is scary. When the owner starts talking about "business decision" you might as well sit back an enjoy watching the other teams in the playoffs then. If you want to make money, win football games. If you want to win games, you dont get rid of Peyton right now. IMO

Of course he is a business man. That is what is scary. When the owner starts talking about "business decision" you might as well sit back an enjoy watching the other teams in the playoffs then. If you want to make money, win football games. If you want to win games, you dont get rid of Peyton right now. IMO

I can sit back and watch them for 3 years while we rebuild if need be. Did it before. Because when/if this thing takes off again, we could be potentially positioned for another sustained run of winning football. I hear you about winning now with 18 if Peyton is 100% but we don't know that he is or ever will be again. Hence the dilemma. In 3 years time we could be just hitting our stride with our future out in front of us while Peyton could very well be facing retirement.

The reality is that Peyton should be on this team if he will be ready to play this fall. The Colts gave Peyton a huge gift last year even though he never played a snap. Peyton's deal needs to be redone to reflect his health status and his commitment to bringing in talent. The fact is, Peyton's market value has dropped. He cannot command the salary that he once did.

Peyton's should be gettting no more the 15 million per at this point. I am tired of the games. Offer Peyton a new and reasonable contract, if he doesn't take it so be it. NO MORE GAMES!

When Manning is released you will see what his "true market value is" ... and you will be shocked. THe Colts 0ffered Manning this deal.... Why are you mad at Peyton? THe Colts don't have the luxury of time, the rest of the leauge does.. when it comes to evaluating Manning.

I understand the article is about if Peyton is released and if he were to go elsewhere. I see a few people mention he should do the same for the Colts. Forgive my ignorance but can he even restructure? It seems we would have to release him then resign him (which wont happen).

It really doesn't matter if the team was really bad when Jim Irsay was GM of the team. If he was the GM of any team for 10 years or so, I think he has an idea of how to run a team.

OK, he knows the ins and outs of running a team. I will give you that. But, he just isnt good at it. Dont get me wrong, Irsay is the coolest owner. And, I even see the point of moving on with out Peyton. I just dont agree with it. It would be a mistake IMO. But, I dont own a team, lol. What do I know.

When Manning is released you will see what his "true market value is" ... and you will be shocked. THe Colts 0ffered Manning this deal.... Why are you mad at Peyton? THe Colts don't have the luxury of time, the rest of the leauge does.. when it comes to evaluating Manning.

I would bet that at least half of the league would be salivating at the thought of us offering PM 15 Mil. The line to up the ante would stretch around the block.

I would bet that at least half of the league would be salivating at the thought of us offering PM 15 Mil. The line to up the ante would stretch around the block.

I think their salivating will be curtailed somewhat with the uncertainty surrounding his performance ability due to the nerve regeneration issue.