Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agents

35 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Have we ever got one? I'm trying to be realistic. I want as many solid players as possible this year. 

No, because we had to allow for and plan for the signings of Costanzo, Hilton and Luck.  We were in a different situation than than we are now.  Now we can go for young and quality and we have the money.  I am expecting some real difference makers this year.  And don't forget trades as well. I would easily give up a second for another young proven player versus a draft choice. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No, because we had to allow for and plan for the signings of Costanzo, Hilton and Luck.  We were in a different situation than than we are now.  Now we can go for young and quality and we have the money.  I am expecting some real difference makers this year.  And don't forget trades as well. I would easily give up a second for another young proven player versus a draft choice. 

I'd love that. And it's what I'm hoping for. 

Unless you are getting a washed up vet you are gonna OVERPAY in free agency regardless..Time to overpay for a couple Difference makers , rather than overpay for 5 mid level roster fillers who may or may not be and upgrade..I want a guy at every level in a perfect world...Bouye, Ingram, Poe should be pursued hard as well as Berry..Hopefully we can come up with 2 of those guys and then look for a couple diamonds in the rough as well...

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

1 quality young starter?  With all that cap space and your job on the line. That should get you fired.  If there ever is a year to be aggressive this is that year. 

I agree with both of you. I wouldn't really be happy with just one good young starter, but the odds of us winning on two or three top free agents is low. Chandler Jones, Hightower, and Jamie Collins are all gonna be locked up. Ingram is going to be waaayyy overpaid as the top dawg available st OLB. I don't see Grigson giving him 9-11 million a year. We will get two good players this year. If we get two of Berry, Ingram, Williams, Poe, Bouye, Brown, or Gilmore I will run around downtown in my underwear. I'll be amazed. 

I hope Grigs doesn't take his bargain basement approach for the Tolers, the Robinsons, the RJFs, the Sattelles, the Thomases, the Herremans, etc. It likely won't be as easy to recruit the very good young players since we probably aren't viewed as a SB contender like we were 2 yrs ago. Some players aren't total mercenaries and want to play for winners. Who can blame them? Gore and AJ wanted to come here to win a SB.

The only realistic option is Brown and Poe because they Chiefs have to pay Berry.

Ingram is gonna be Tagged.

I would consider any of the 3 CB  Morris, Gilmore, Boyce.

Also we could upgrade the FS position with another FIU player Jonathan  Cyprien, and let Butler walk away.

This year draft is loaded at the LB position i think the wise decision would be to trade down to the 20's and get an extra 2nd, we could get Watt, Cunningham, McMillan, Davis with a pick in the 20's and get another LB or RB with the 2 seconds. 

5 hours ago, Eharv1 said:

Who do you guys think we will sign?

My opinion 

1. Melvin Ingram

2. Ronald Leary 

3. Dontari Poe

4. Zach Brown

I think we will target Ingram and Brown.

Whether we get them or not is another story.     But both strike me as prime targets.

Another name to add.....   Kawan Short, the DT from Carolina.     He went to Purdue....   might be an easier sell to return to Indiana.....

And Nick Perry, the OLB from Green Bay,  is another name to consider....

Logan Ryan,  the CB from New England is a possibility....

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Another name to add.....   Kawan Short, the DT from Carolina.     He went to Purdue....   might be an easier sell to return to Indiana.....

Logan Ryan,  the CB from New England is a possibility....

Ryan has always played with help on the top while Butler plays 1 on 1, i think he is more a system player he isn't bad but we already have one CB that isn't bad but he isn't a game changer (Robinson), unless we get an upgrade over the current one i wouldn't sing him.

Short is gonna be singed by CAR, CAR didn't sing Norman because they liked more Short.

I'm always excited and worried about free agency. While we all think it will be fine and easy signing 4 high profile big time free agents, the only teams that seem to do it are the big market or attractive destinations like New York, Oakland etc. 

I consider it a win if we can find 3 impact free agents at areas of need. We can't just be stuck picking up the Landry's and Toler's of the world this year.

1 hour ago, Jact.stark said:

Ryan has always played with help on the top while Butler plays 1 on 1, i think he is more a system player he isn't bad but we already have one CB that isn't bad but he isn't a game changer (Robinson), unless we get an upgrade over the current one i wouldn't sing him.

Short is gonna be singed by CAR, CAR didn't sing Norman because they liked more Short.

Thanks....   good post.

I think Short is still a possibility for two reasons....   One, it's my understanding that Carolina might not have much money.....    I'll double check....

But that two.....   Short didn't have a great year for them.     Don't know if that will color their judgement....?

8 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree with both of you. I wouldn't really be happy with just one good young starter, but the odds of us winning on two or three top free agents is low. Chandler Jones, Hightower, and Jamie Collins are all gonna be locked up. Ingram is going to be waaayyy overpaid as the top dawg available st OLB. I don't see Grigson giving him 9-11 million a year. We will get two good players this year. If we get two of Berry, Ingram, Williams, Poe, Bouye, Brown, or Gilmore I will run around downtown in my underwear. I'll be amazed. 

I hope it's a warm day!

8 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I hope Grigs doesn't take his bargain basement approach for the Tolers, the Robinsons, the RJFs, the Sattelles, the Thomases, the Herremans, etc. It likely won't be as easy to recruit the very good young players since we probably aren't viewed as a SB contender like we were 2 yrs ago. Some players aren't total mercenaries and want to play for winners. Who can blame them? Gore and AJ wanted to come here to win a SB.

I would think most of the players in the league still view us as SB contenders. Two 8-8 seasons aren't deal breakers  IMO. Especially with Luck.  But for the most part I think they are total mercenaries.  The Gore and AJ types were both at the end of their careers and were looking for the ring. 

7 hours ago, Jact.stark said:

The only realistic option is Brown and Poe because they Chiefs have to pay Berry.

Also we could upgrade the FS position with another FIU player Jonathan  Cyprien, and let Butler walk away.

This year draft is loaded at the LB position i think the wise decision would be to trade down to the 20's and get an extra 2nd, we could get Watt, Cunningham, McMillan, Davis with a pick in the 20's and get another LB or RB with the 2 seconds. 

If Fournett and Cook are gone I wouldn't mind trading back into the 20's and taking McCaffrey.  Especially if we wind up with Poe, Brown and one of the 3 CB's you suggest.  Perry could make it to FA as well. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I hope it's a warm day!

Lol. Really I love the Colts as much as you can love a sports team. But I just don't see us being able to get two of those top players because some will resign with their teams, and then the 49ers, Titans, and Browns are gonna offer A LOT of money to players! 

Poe

Abouye

Perry

I'd go after Poe, matching him up with Parry and Ridgeway (danger). I'd move Anderson to the edge. Go after Abouye "lightly", he probably wants stupid money and I wouldn't do it based on 1 year. But I'd also be in talks with Trumaine Johnson. Sign Perry to a 3 to 4 yr deal at a reasonable number and Draft for the future (Defense that is).

Trade back in the first round and take Solomon Thomas 1st round

Takk Mckinley 2nd round (injury cause teams to pass)

Tim Williams 2nd round (if he's still there due to the weed)

Cameron Sutton 3rd round (physical and instinctive) 

Wayne Gallman 4th round (reminds me of L. Bell)

The remaining picks get used on the offensive line. The compensatory picks are icing on the cake. That's spending wisely and getting your franchise back to what its known for "Superbowl Runs".

~MY OPINION~  but feel free to dissect or criticize. My skin thick.

18 hours ago, Jact.stark said:

I would get behind this.  Would like Watt in the 1st

10 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

I would get behind this.  Would like Watt in the 1st

What are you seeing that I'm not? He's not a 1st round talent IMO. late 2nd, early 3rd. There's plenty of EDGE rushers better than him who will be available man. I want Tim Williams. He's that freak athletic pure pass rusher we need. I think he's going to be a sack machine from week 1 on. There's a lot of good ILB's too. We can easily get an all around ILB in the 2nd or even the 3rd. We need to make Nick Perry target 1 in FA. Perry, along with a CB, ILB, then either a G like Zeitler, Leary, Lang. Or a NT like Poe, Hankins, or Williams. Here's my wish list.....

Nick Perry

AJ Bouye

Zach Brown

TJ Lang

That's 2 big money signings, and 2 decent money signings, but we have the cap room and that ____ Grigson is gone. Perry would give us a true double digit EDGE rusher, Bouye would give us a top tier CB to pair with Davis, Brown would be a really good signing. He's a solid ILB, and Lang would complete our OL. Then get say Tim Williams, and another EDGE rusher, an all around day 1 starting ILB, and a RB in the first 4 rounds. I might go RB in the 3rd and 4th honestly, depending on what defensive players are on the board. Mixon will definitely fall to that range.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

What are you seeing that I'm not? He's not a 1st round talent IMO. late 2nd, early 3rd. There's plenty of EDGE rushers better than him who will be available man. I want Tim Williams. He's that freak athletic pure pass rusher we need. I think he's going to be a sack machine from week 1 on. There's a lot of good ILB's too. We can easily get an all around ILB in the 2nd or even the 3rd. We need to make Nick Perry target 1 in FA. Perry, along with a CB, ILB, then either a G like Zeitler, Leary, Lang. Or a NT like Poe, Hankins, or Williams. Here's my wish list.....

Nick Perry

AJ Bouye

Zach Brown

TJ Lang

That's 2 big money signings, and 2 decent money signings, but we have the cap room and that ____ Grigson is gone. Perry would give us a true double digit EDGE rusher, Bouye would give us a top tier CB to pair with Davis, Brown would be a really good signing. He's a solid ILB, and Lang would complete our OL. Then get say Tim Williams, and another EDGE rusher, an all around day 1 starting ILB, and a RB in the first 4 rounds. I might go RB in the 3rd and 4th honestly, depending on what defensive players are on the board. Mixon will definitely fall to that range.

I think that T. Williams could be a Randy Gregory or an Bud Dupree (that's the risk with Williams IMO), i don't want Watt in the first, i would consider him with the second, if we trade down i would take Zack Cunningham with the first, i think he has more range than Reuben but Reuben is a plug and play player, i agree with your list, although i don't want to play Lang Osemele money to Lang(he is gonna demand that much),  i do think that we should make the push and try to sign Ingram if he hits the free agency.

25 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Nick Perry

AJ Bouye

Zach Brown

TJ Lang

Having watched alot of college FB, i made a list of players that stood out to me.  Watt played up and down.  dropped into coverage a few times.  My only concern, that was pointed out in another thread, is his knees.  All of the mocks ( Walter's, CBS Sports, and Daniel Jeramiah/ Bucky Brooks of NFL.com) all have Watt going after pick 20 of 1st round.

I don't see Williams going in the 1st round due to off the field red Flags.  If we get him in the 2nd, then would be okay.

Would like to see us go after Perry or Ingram.  Wouldn't mind Brown either.  Would like to see more out of Bouye before paying him big money.

Agree with a Day 1 starter at ILB and your choice at RB in 2rd or 4th

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If Fournett and Cook are gone I wouldn't mind trading back into the 20's and taking McCaffrey.  Especially if we wind up with Poe, Brown and one of the 3 CB's you suggest.  Perry could make it to FA as well. 

I wouldn't waste a first on McCaffery. Cook is th  only 1st round worthy RB in my opinion. Fournette is too inconsistent and doesn't show up in big games. 

11 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I wouldn't waste a first on McCaffery. Cook is th  only 1st round worthy RB in my opinion. Fournette is too inconsistent and doesn't show up in big games. 

We aren't wasting a first on any RB. No way the new GM comes here with the worst defense, and picks a skill position with the 1st. Shew. 

4 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We aren't wasting a first on any RB. No way the new GM comes here with the worst defense, and picks a skill position with the 1st. Shew. 

I'd sure hope not. Like I said I don't want a RB in the first. Maybe not even the second. In the first we have to go defense. OLB, Corner, or Cunningham. I want Foreman from Texas as our RB in the future. 

On 2017-01-21 at 0:57 AM, Jact.stark said:

Do you think the Chiefs would simply franchise tag Berry again?  Honestly, if there I a possibility they wouldn't franchise tag him, I'd go after him and over-pay to get him!   Of course, it would be futile if he's just going to be tagged, but with the Chiefs already having done so once, maybe they wouldn't a 2nd time because of the bad blood that might create?