Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thomas, Williams or Barnett

Solomon Thomas Tim WIlliams Derek Barnett  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If all 3 are sitting at 15, which one are you taking?

• Solomon Thomas
    • Tim Williams
    • Derek Barnett

I'm going to throw Williams out immediately. I don't like his off field baggage, plus he sucks against the run. Picking between the other two takes thought though. Barnett is an electric pass rusher, but he plays a bit tight off the edge. Thomas is powerful and relentless, but he is a tweener between DT and DE (Probably DE for our 3-4 defense, but he is a bit small for that position). At first I was leaning toward Barnett, but the more I thought, the more I couldn't pass on Solomon. He is fantastic versus the run, leading Stanford in tackles this season. His non-stop motor is a huge plus, and he is a very smart guy (We all know just how smart Stanford guys are (Hello Andrew Luck)). While he doesn't have the raw pass rushing skills Barnett possesses, he still uses his insane strength and speed combo to get to him. I'll compare him to Aaron Donald for now (an undersized lineman with a quick get off and great hands), and if that isn't convincing enough, I see him being the next JJ Watt in a couple years. Seriously, if you have a player who at their worst flashes Aaron Donald and at there best looks like JJ Watt, how can you pass on them?

So because Tim WIlliams had 1 off the field incident(please name the other ones because I've never heard of them) that makes him undraftable?  Some of you are getting really ridiculous. An unregistered gun which he never used and some weed of which 75 to 85 percent of the NFL players are smoking any way.  I could see if you thought he'll probably drop a round, but to say the guy is undraftable is non sense.  Personally I like Mckinley better than most of these guys but Williams is getting some irrational criticism in my opinion.

If I had to choose between the 3 I'd say Barnett.  To me Thomas is a lineman or a 4-3 DE.  If you're leaning more towards 4-3 DE then I'm taking the guy who has the most production at that position already and that is Barnett.   When you break Reggie Whites sack record you got my attention.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

If I had to choose between the 3 I'd say Barnett.  To me Thomas is a lineman or a 4-3 DE.  If you're leaning more towards 4-3 DE then I'm taking the guy who has the most production at that position already and that is Barnett.   When you break Reggie Whites sack record you got my attention.

I think we can almost all agree on that there's some real talent that will be available

Definitely between Solomon and Barnett. Solomon is a 3-4 DE and Barnett is a 3-4 OLB. I think Barnett is a better fit, but Solomon has sky high potential and the ability to be the best player in the entire draft class at 14 or 15. We use a mixed scheme anyway of 3-4 and 4-3, so I don't think Solomon would get used incorrectly. Would be happy with either one tbh. I think Tim Williams will fall to the 2nd round. Most teams don't go with guys with multiple character concerns, and he's not a blue chip player where a 1st round pick is warranted and the risk outweighs the reward at that spot.

I have issues with all 3 but if I had to choose between those 3 it would be Barnett.

Tim Williams apparently has a big weed issue so that immediately takes him out of consideration for me.

Thomas has talent but from what I've seen he lines up almost exclusively inside, and I have never seen him used as a stand up player. He's a good player but the scheme issue worries me greatly. If we had a great DC who moulds the D around the players it wouldn't be as bad, but we don't.

Barnett is just a bit stiff and a bit tight in his hips. He is hella talented but I'm not sure he will ever be able to transfer fully to a 3-4OLB. I'd be willing to give him a shot though. Could end up being a strong side only guy.

Takkarist McKinkey is my big pass rushing hope in the 1st this year. Big, fast, solid against the run and a non stop motor.

Just now, BProland85 said:

My main preference is to trade down, get an extra 2nd and get OLB Takkarist McKinley.

This was my preference as well, but I don't think there's anyway that will happen now. We'd have to trade down to the 22 range to get a 2nd, and McKinley will probably be long gone by then.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Takk has a torn labrum in his shoulder. Unsure of surgery yet. 
Player has been projected in the 1st round for multiple mocks. Will likely effect his stock because of this great draft class.

Ah really? Didn't know that. I guess he will fall.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

My main preference is to trade down, get an extra 2nd and get OLB Takkarist McKinley.

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

So because Tim WIlliams had 1 off the field incident(please name the other ones because I've never heard of them) that makes him undraftable?  Some of you are getting really ridiculous. An unregistered gun which he never used and some weed of which 75 to 85 percent of the NFL players are smoking any way.  I could see if you thought he'll probably drop a round, but to say the guy is undraftable is non sense.  Personally I like Mckinley better than most of these guys but Williams is getting some irrational criticism in my opinion.

He certainly isn't undraftable IMO. He's possibly the best pure pass rusher in this draft class, so he won't fall far. I wouldn't take him in the first though because of the chance that he could wind up suspended more often than not, whereas the other two have nothing against them. If Williams fell to our second round pick, I would certainly consider it then. He's to much of a risk in the first round, though.

9 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

He certainly isn't undraftable IMO. He's possibly the best pure pass rusher in this draft class, so he won't fall far. I wouldn't take him in the first though because of the chance that he could wind up suspended more often than not, whereas the other two have nothing against them. If Williams fell to our second round pick, I would certainly consider it then. He's to much of a risk in the first round, though.

Now that I've looked closer at his weed issues I can side more with the people who say don't draft him in the first round. Some have said he's failed multiple drug tests at Alabama. 

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Now that I've looked closer at his weed issues I can side more with the people who say don't draft him in the first round. Some have said he's failed multiple drug tests at Alabama. 

That would be correct! I wouldn`t touch the guy.

35 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Bruh. Takk has a torn labrum. And Lawson shouldn't be in the same sentence as Barnett, Williams or Thomas..

Lawson was one of the few pass rushers who gave Tunsil trouble when they played in college. Injuries are the only reason he's not being discussed as a 1st rounder

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Barnett. I'd say Tim but we're all unsure of his character right now. (Could change in the comimg months)

Solomon is a bigger Henry Anderson to me so I gotta pass. 

I'm sorry,  I'm the resident Stanford fan here....

How does Solomon Thomas at 6-3 and roughly 275 becomes "bigger" than Henry Anderson at 6-6 and 300?

I'd be fine with either Thomas or Barnett.    But both have question marks to convert them to a 3-4 OLB.   I don't think either of them can play as a down lineman in a 3-4.    They're way too small.

Thomas has a high grade, so there is that....   I think he's a little more twitchy....

I was eyeing McKnley,  but now he's hurt.....   (Sigh....)

I  want pass rush in R1 and if not that,  then a corner in R2....   or vice versa....

There will be a very good ILB in R3.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd be fine with either Thomas or Barnett.    But both have question marks to convert them to a 3-4 OLB.   I don't think either of them can play as a down lineman in a 3-4.    They're way too small.

Thomas has a high grade, so there is that....   I think he's a little more twitchy....

I  want pass rush in R1 and if not that,  then a corner in R2....   or vice versa....

I agree with all of this:scoregood:

(Even though I love cunningham)

Barnett, but I would seriously consider reaching for Watt..Watt is the only OLB that can do all phases rush the passer, play the run, and by far is the best in coverage...By the time of the draft if he is medically cleared it might not even be a reach..

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I feel that Thomas could easily play D-line. He is probably going to get up to around 285 by the draft, which is about the same weight as Aaron Donald and JJ Watt, and He's already about 10 lbs heavier than Jadeveon Clowney. Now I know Donald is in a 4-3 system, but he's a DT in that system and would be a DE in a 3-4. Watt and Clowney already DE's in a 3-4 system. Thomas has been compared to both Watt and Donald, and I can see it in his relentless motor, strong hands, and quick get-off. Any time a player gets compared to annual DPOY candidates, I take notice.

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I feel that Thomas could easily play D-line. He is probably going to get up to around 285 by the draft, which is about the same weight as Aaron Donald and JJ Watt, and He's already about 10 lbs heavier than Jadeveon Clowney. Now I know Donald is in a 4-3 system, but he's a DT in that system and would be a DE in a 3-4. Watt and Clowney already DE's in a 3-4 system. Thomas has been compared to both Watt and Donald, and I can see it in his relentless motor, strong hands, and quick get-off. Any time a player gets compared to annual DPOY candidates, I take notice.

First,  no one know if Thomas can carry that weight and not lose some of his speed and quickness.

You can look for him at the Combine to show up at 275.    David Shaw is already on record as predicting that.

We have no history of playing anyone smaller than 295 on our DL under Grigson/Pagano.     285 is too small.   By the way,   JJ is 295,  not 285.      Donald is 285-290 and in a 4-3 where the match-ups are more favorable to DL.    

I think if Solly can play in our system it would likely be as a 3-4 OLB.     His skill set would be out on an island where it belongs.     I think he'd be wasted in our system as a 3-4 DE.      It'll be interesting to watch and see.

On 1/20/2017 at 8:22 AM, Defjamz26 said:

None. I'll take Tak McKinley or even Carl Lawson over them.

Barnett is too stiff to play in a 3-4, Thomas is a tweenet, and Williams is overrated with character concerns.

Carl Lawson ain't bad.  Now I think it's realistic we could acquire he and Mckinley in this draft.