Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Walter Football 3 rd mock (pretty interesting)

had the Colts taking:

Rd 1-----

Malik McDowell DE/DT   Michigan State

Rd 2----

Takkarist McKinley  DE/OLB    UCLA

Rd 3

Raekwon McMillan   LB     Ohio St

I know McDowell and McKinley have been talked about here but I'm not too familiar with McMillan

after looking at the last names, I guess you can say it's the Colts 3 round McMock Draft

I've been watching the mocks on that site and it seems to think that DL is a pressing need. It knows little about each team and is probably unaware of good players like Henry Anderson and Hassan Ridgeway, but knows the more popular flops like Art Jones.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've been watching the mocks on that site and it seems to think that DL is a pressing need.  They know little about each team and are probably unaware of good players like Henry Anderson and Hassan Ridgeway, but knows the more popular flops like Art Jones.

that seems true about most mocks...I like them because they actually got a few first rounders correct last  year...plus their mock draft database is huge so it's easy to check out the other mocks. But yeah, outside the first round, it's really hard to gauge.

6 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

that seems true about most mocks...I like them because they actually got a few first rounders correct last  year...plus their mock draft database is huge so it's easy to check out the other mocks. But yeah, outside the first round, it's really hard to gauge.

WalterFootball changes its mock about every third day.  I like them too because they have decent write-ups on each player.  Its probably more opinion based than analytical, but its another source of information to add to the analysis.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

WalterFootball changes its mock about every third day.  I like them too because they have decent write-ups on each player.  Its probably more opinion based than analytical, but its another source of information to add to the analysis.

exactly and I check up on them all the time...it's kind of my go to place.....and frankly I love this time of year and researching other players and the discussion it causes....I almost enjoy this over the actual season sometimes.

That's not a bad Mock. I just don't know how accurate that position is for McKinley because I've seen him in the top 25 picks in some mocks.

But I'd be cool with McDowell. He's got a higher ceiling than Anderson or Ridgeway so he'd be a plus to the D-Line.

Its early but I have our 1st round pick coming down to:

-Dalvin Cook

-Charles Harris

-Malik McDowell

I might add another player or two once I do more research though.

I don't think it's horrible for basic research.  If you want to find out who the top players are and other basic info it's an okay resource.   If you want better info then I agree.  I begin familiarizing myself with guys on Walter.  It's not the end all be all though.

30 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Walter Football is horrible.

The worst thing I could say about it is that Walt (Charlie not so much) has a tendency to mock players to teams based on a premature assertion about another player on the team.

Like I was reading a Mock where he had the Jags taking a QB second round because apparently they've soured on Bortles or something like that. I thought that was a little short sighted.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's not a bad Mock. I just don't know how accurate that position is for McKinley because I've seen him in the top 25 picks in some mocks.

But I'd be cool with McDowell. He's got a higher ceiling than Anderson or Ridgeway so he'd be a plus to the D-Line.

Its early but I have our 1st round pick coming down to:

-Dalvin Cook

-Charles Harris

-Malik McDowell

I might add another player or two once I do more research though.

Do you really think Cook fits our offense? To me it seems like Chud likes to run a strong power, and interior rushing attack. Cook is more of an inside zone and toss guy.

I mean if we lessen our use of multiple TE sets, and operate more from the gun, then i suppose. However I just don't see it. 

I think Turbin takes on a bigger role next year.

14 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Do you really think Cook fits our offense? To me it seems like Chud likes to run a strong power, and interior rushing attack. Cook is more of an inside zone and toss guy.

I mean if we lessen our use of multiple TE sets, and operate more from the gun, then i suppose. However I just don't see it. 

Cook fits the reality of what the Colts offense really is. Try as they might, the Colts are not a physical run it up the gut offense. We are a pass heavy offense that works better in space and using the pass to set up the run. Cook fits in perfectly. He's a tough physical runner but he's got the shiftiness to create on his own since our run blocking isn't always the best. Plus  he's probably the best receiving back to come out in awhile although McCaffery is good in his own right. Remember how good Bradshaw was catching it for us? That's the versatility that Cook offers. He can do it all. Plus he can run for big runs and he's a home Run threat. That's what we need.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Cook fits the reality of what the Colts offense really is. Try as they might, the Colts are not a physical run it up the gut offense. We are a pass heavy offense that works better in space and using the pass to set up the run. Cook fits in perfectly. He's a tough physical runner but he's got the shiftiness to create on his own since our run blocking isn't always the best. Plus  he's probably the best receiving back to come out in awhile although McCaffery is good in his own right. Remember how good Bradshaw was catching it for us? That's the versatility that Cook offers. He can do it all. Plus he can run for big runs and he's a home Run threat. That's what we need.

Sounds solid. I've not really made an effort to watch much college ball. But with this staff they will run him like he is Frank Gore, then trade him for a 5th round pick.

30 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Our offense is tailored around Frank Gore. That's his type of game. You get a Dalvin Cook and you move to tailor around Cook

6 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

had the Colts taking:

Rd 1-----

Malik McDowell DE/DT   Michigan State

Rd 2----

Takkarist McKinley  DE/OLB    UCLA

Rd 3

Raekwon McMillan   LB     Ohio St

I know McDowell and McKinley have been talked about here but I'm not too familiar with McMillan

after looking at the last names, I guess you can say it's the Colts 3 round McMock Draft

Three names more commonly associated with the FIRST round.

Just the latest example why I pay so little attention to Walter Football.

All three are top 50 kids, if not higher.

14 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't know much about the players but if you say Cook is a zone and toss type of a guy, wouldn't that correlate with what we've tried to become on the oline once we declared we were going to go ZBS and away from the man scheme? 

I personally do not want to pick a RB with our first rounder regardless of who it is unless we have some trade in our pocket to get another mid first round draft pick. If we aren't picking a dynamic starter on the defense from the first round this season, I'll be a lot of irritated. Unless you can guarantee this rb is a Barry Sanders, Marshal Faulk or Leveon Bell type guy right away, keep Gore and the guys we have now and look at the 2018 draft for your dynamic RB. 

Not a bad mock. 

McDowell is a solid pick. McKinley is a good pick up in the 2nd. McMillan is a steal in the 3rd. I think he goes in round 2. 

Also am i seriously the the only one that finds the fact that all three surnames start with Mc even a little funny?

11 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Not a bad mock. 

McDowell is a solid pick. McKinley is a good pick up in the 2nd. McMillan is a steal in the 3rd. I think he goes in round 2. 

Also am i seriously the the only one that finds the fact that all three surnames start with Mc even a little funny?

I made a comment about that at the end of my original post lol

6 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Not a bad mock. 

Hold off on your thoughts about McMillan. Currently watching tape on him and it's not hard to see why he might go in the 3rd. 

Here's my Mock attempt on FanSpeak.com/OnTheClock (not exact hyperlink). Again, we all know this is premature postulation, doesn't take into account combine, etc, etc, etc.

Much like we 'overdrafted' OL last year, we overdraft defense this year. Hopefully not gonna be wishful thinking.

1.JPG

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Three names more commonly associated with the FIRST round.

Just the latest example why I pay so little attention to Walter Football.

All three are top 50 kids, if not higher.

That may be right, but consider that McKinley is projected as a 34 OLB who wouldn't fit every defense.  I don't think a 43 would draft him in the first just for 3rd down pass rushing package. He could be available at our mid second round pick depending upon what other teams might want.

McMillian is an ILB.  They tend to be valued less so mid thrid seems unlikely but not impossible.

Check out Walters entire 3 round mock to see who they have going too soon and that will help explain why McKinley falls to the third.

31 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Here's my Mock attempt on FanSpeak.com/OnTheClock (not exact hyperlink). Again, we all know this is premature postulation, doesn't take into account combine, etc, etc, etc.

Much like we 'overdrafted' OL last year, we overdraft defense this year. Hopefully not gonna be wishful thinking.

1.JPG

I doubt Watt lasts until the 5th.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That may be right, but consider that McKinley is projected as a 34 OLB who wouldn't fit every defense.  I don't think a 43 would draft him in the first just for 3rd down pass rushing package. He could be available at our mid second round pick depending upon what other teams might want.

McMillian is an ILB.  They tend to be valued less so mid thrid seems unlikely but not impossible.

Check out Walters entire 3 round mock to see who they have going too soon and that will help explain why McKinley falls to the third.

I think all three kids in this mock are top 32 players in the latest Scouts Inc rankings.      That means all potentially first round.      

Is it possible one falls to the 2nd and the other to the 3rd?      Sure.      It's possible.     But it's not likely....

12 hours ago, Jdubu said:
22 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:
22 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

hmm is he really that good

hmm is he really that good

I don't know much about the players but if you say Cook is a zone and toss type of a guy, wouldn't that correlate with what we've tried to become on the oline once we declared we were going to go ZBS and away from the man scheme? 

I personally do not want to pick a RB with our first rounder regardless of who it is unless we have some trade in our pocket to get another mid first round draft pick. If we aren't picking a dynamic starter on the defense from the first round this season, I'll be a lot of irritated. Unless you can guarantee this rb is a Barry Sanders, Marshal Faulk or Leveon Bell type guy right away, keep Gore and the guys we have now and look at the 2018 draft for your dynamic RB. 

On 12/29/2016 at 5:12 PM, AustinnKaine said:

Sounds solid. I've not really made an effort to watch much college ball. But with this staff they will run him like he is Frank Gore, then trade him for a 5th round pick.

8 hours ago, rock8591 said:

1.JPG

Barnett in the 1st is possible.     As is Cunningham in the 2nd.      But McKinley in the 3rd is not likely to happen at all.   

Walker in the 4th -- maybe,  but possibly higher.      Hill in the 4th feels about right for now.      But the only way Watt goes in the 5th and Jones goes in the 6th are if both of them get hurt.     Badly hurt.     Both should go at least several rounds higher.       

The people who run Fan Speak are just not that good knowing what the proper values are for players beyond maybe the top20 or so.       They only get more accurate as the draft gets much closer.     Like April.

It's fun.     It's addictive.     It's just not accurate.     The draft for the Colts you make there will never happen in the real world.     Not even close.

\

On 12/29/2016 at 8:10 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. . . in 2014 when Bradshaw was healthy we had the best offense in the league.  

Cook would be a great fit to our offense.

That said I still question the value of spending the first on an offensive player even one that is as talented and as great of a fit as Cook.  

Thing is the Colts this year where #8 in scoring per game and #10 in yards per game.  While it could obviously get better, it's pretty clear it's that defense is where we need the most help.  

With the depth of the RB class it seems like Cook is more of a Luxury pick.  

On December 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Hot tip - do some digging into Alvin Kamara. Not quite as big as Cook, and not quite as much homerun speed - but he has even better elusiveness than Cook and is every bit as good of a receiver. I've got them ranked pretty similarly actually. 

I think Walter Football is one of the best sites for compiling research. I don't think their mocks are anything better than anyone else out there, but a good go-to site for learning a bit about players, where they are projected, and what some scouts might be saying about them.