Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Expectations For The Final Game

Defjamz26

56 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

What at this point does it matter?

Well....   it's important to show we can do it.     And we can.

And it's important personally to Gore to show him he made the right choice to come to Indy.    His ultimate reason  is to win.....    and we haven't done enough of that.      But doing it now would make him the oldest back to get 1,000 yards in roughly 30 years.        That's no small achievement.     That would be a big dealt to him.

You want to achieve the victories that you can,   even the small ones.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Why in gods name would we bring them back if we get swept by the 3 win Jags? That's literally the stupidest thing we could do 

Trust me, I want a change too. But I don't see it happening. Irsay just gave them 4 year deals, I don't see him tossing that in the trash after one year. 

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Trust me, I want a change too. But I don't see it happening. Irsay just gave them 4 year deals, I don't see him tossing that in the trash after one year. 

I don't care if we signed 10 year deals 100% guaranteed if we get swept by the Jags this year you can them both. In all honesty they should be fired no matter the outcome next week. We start slow cause of Chuck and we suck on defense because if Grigson.

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I don't care if we signed 10 year deals 100% guaranteed if we get swept by the Jags this year you can them both. In all honesty they should be fired no matter the outcome next week. We start slow cause of Chuck and we suck on defense because if Grigson.

If we are swept by the Jags they should be fired. They probably should be fired regardless. I'm not impressed with Grigson or Pagano and his staff. The only assistant I like right now is Philbin as I feel like the O line is improving little by little, but thats about it for me.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

If we are swept by the Jags they should be fired. They probably should be fired regardless. I'm not impressed with Grigson or Pagano and his staff. The only assistant I like right now is Philbin as I feel like the O line is improving little by little, but thats about it for me.

I would also keep Philbin it's possible too didn't we hold some coaches over from the Manning Era?

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Get Gore his 1000 yards for the year.

This^

Also would prefer younger players get a chance to improve/show what they are capable of. With no shot at the playoffs, treat it like a preseason game. Plus this coaching staff shouldn't be able to justify putting AL out there to get killed. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Celebrating a win is NEVER the wrong message.     Not ever.

Rolling over and deliberately losing so we can pick slightly higher is sending the wrong message.     Always.

Just to be clear. I'm not suggesting that they tank. I think them celebrating beating the Jags is going to be viewed by Irsay as a sign of strength and that they fought till the end. But in reality there was none of that when it mattered.

Irsay seems like he believes in all that sentimental stuff that Pagano spits out about heart and grit. This is the same team that celebrated beating the team that went on to have the number 1 pick with 3 diff QBs. I feel like Irsay will see beating the Jags as some type of positive sign for the future.

I don't want to get swept by the Jags but they are going to overreact to that win.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Just to be clear. I'm not suggesting that they tank. I think them celebrating beating the Jags is going to be viewed by Irsay as a sign of strength and that they fought till the end. But in reality there was none of that when it mattered.

Irsay seems like he believes in all that sentimental stuff that Pagano spits out about heart and grit. This is the same team that celebrated beating the team that went on to have the number 1 pick with 3 diff QBs. I feel like Irsay will see beating the Jags as some type of positive sign for the future.

I don't want to get swept by the Jags but they are going to overreact to that win.

The Colts lost one game that mattered.     The game vs. Houston.

But they've won 7 other games and put themselves in position to make that game with the Texans an important game.        To the best of my knowledge this is the first time in 5 years that the Colts have lost a game that made a real difference in the standings.      A game that made the difference between winning the south and losing the south.

I'm not counting last year because we didn't have Luck.     I view last year's 8-8 as something of a small miracle.   One of Pagano's better coaching jobs.       Most of the haters last year view the 8-8 season as proof that Pagano can't coach.

Sorry, but that blows my mind.       Seriously.      Can't wrap my head around it.      

Bottom line:    You may get your wish.    Irsay may fire both Pagano and Grigson.     But I won't celebrate if he does.       And if he keeps them,  I won't celebrate if he does that either.      I'll deal with either choice when the news comes down and be ready to move on.

We'll have some interesting off-season decisions to make.     I'll look forward to seeing how those play out.

Hopefully better days for the franchise.....

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

No one will be celebrating beating the Jags....

They'd be celebrating finishing a disappointing season at 8-8.

8-8 is far better than 7-9 to players.      Much, much better than a one game difference.

It's the difference between having a losing season......   and not.

And that's big to player and to everyone else in the franchise.     Especially to a franchise like the Colts who have known mostly winning for the last 20 years.       Avoiding a losing season is very important.     Very.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one will be celebrating beating the Jags....

They'd be celebrating finishing a disappointing season at 8-8.

8-8 is far better than 7-9 to players.      Much, much better than a one game difference.

It's the difference between having a losing season......   and not.

And that's big to player and to everyone else in the franchise.     Especially to a franchise like the Colts who have known mostly winning for the last 20 years.       Avoiding a losing season is very important.     Very.

Any season where you don't have more wins than losses and miss the playoffs is a losing season. It's different if you're like The Cardinals a few seasons ago who missed the playoffs at 10-6.

8-8 with no playoffs makes you a loser. It's no different than the Cowboys a few years ago where they went 8-8 3 straight seasons. Jones didn't tolerate it and neither should Irsay. The difference between 8-8 and 7-9 is minimal since we won't be in the playoffs with either record. 8-8 is losing just like how a tie is basically a loss.

11 hours ago, Solon said:

I expect them to play hard and finish the season strong. They failed to accomplish the goals they probably had in place, but it's not a reason to quit. In front of the Indy faithful, I expect them to compete.

They have a losing record at home.  Never seem to take much advantage of home field.

I will get hammered for this but will losing be better for addressing what is wrong and what changes need to be made for this team as opposed to beating an old three legged dog? The only explanation I can come up with on the loss to the Raiders is apathy. I don't want to hear one person on the Colts say after the Jags game "we showed our character today winning in front of our home team fans that mean so much to us. This victory will propel us in to a great season next year blah-blah-blah". Maybe if the Colts organization hated losing more they would stop losing. Revenge can be a great motivator. (Please don't respond with quotes from Lombardi on winning, I have heard them all.)   

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   it's important to show we can do it.     And we can.

And it's important personally to Gore to show him he made the right choice to come to Indy.    His ultimate reason  is to win.....    and we haven't done enough of that.      But doing it now would make him the oldest back to get 1,000 yards in roughly 30 years.        That's no small achievement.     That would be a big dealt to him.

You want to achieve the victories that you can,   even the small ones.

Gore came to Indy to win a Super Bowl. He even said himself that he didn't sign up for this. Luck should sit out and run Gore on every down. 

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

We don't know how the deals are written up. There could be all types of clauses in there where Irsay can cut bait and move on. If they were close to being fired last year they could have signed any kind of deal. 

23 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Gore came to Indy to win a Super Bowl. He even said himself that he didn't sign up for this. Luck should sit out and run Gore on every down. 

If Luck sits out then you've made Gore's job trying to reach 1,000 dramatically harder.

The Jags will concentrate on stopping Gore first.

He needs less than 40 yards.     He's going to get that.     And hopefully a lot more.

I don't want Luck getting hurt either.....    but he's going to play....     maybe not the whole game,  but he's going to start.

16 hours ago, King Colt said:

I will get hammered for this but will losing be better for addressing what is wrong and what changes need to be made for this team as opposed to beating an old three legged dog? The only explanation I can come up with on the loss to the Raiders is apathy. I don't want to hear one person on the Colts say after the Jags game "we showed our character today winning in front of our home team fans that mean so much to us. This victory will propel us in to a great season next year blah-blah-blah". Maybe if the Colts organization hated losing more they would stop losing. Revenge can be a great motivator. (Please don't respond with quotes from Lombardi on winning, I have heard them all.)   

The Colts need a Patton in the head coaching position...instead, they have Neville Chamberlain.