Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now They Make Changes?

BmoreColt

Is it just me or is it kind of ironic that after all these years of Peyton carrying a below average and somtimes incompetent coaching staff, an over rated and arrogant front office, and an all too often lack of talent with his surrounding cast, does irsay now want to finally make changes? Peyton has deserved this for years! I for one think this is a very talented assembly of coaches, one Peyton could have won multiple championships with. Pagano is a talented mind, I know I live in Baltimore, even the steelers pieces were good acquisitions. Had Peyton had this from the beginning, he would have achieved great things. It's sad the colts and manning are probably gonna part ways after wasting many great years from the games best. I hope the situation works itself out, with manning playing more years and winning a few more lombardis, hopefully with that happening in Indy. It's sad the organization wants to do right now... Now that manning may be out the door.

Its hard to justify a complete overhaul when youre winning 12 games a season.

There were certainly flaws with the team but it takes a season like this to make sweeping changes.

Exactly.

No other teams revamp with that kind of success (which no team has EVER had) unless coaches are "taken" in offseason.

For what it's worth, I've always felt like Peyton's lack of a fistful of rings had less to do with the team that was around him and more to do with coaching.

The Caldwell "era" speaks for itself but, even under Tony Dungy. That "just do what we do" attitude doesn't cut it in the playoffs because, guess what? The other teams aren't going to "just do what they do."

Believe it or not, the other teams have heard of Peyton Manning. They've figured out the Tampa Two. And, they're going to come up with new game plans.

Obviously Dungy could coach but, to me, the lack of postseason success (ie. Super Bowl rings for Peyton) had a lot to do with his refusal to change things up for the playoffs.

To be fair, the changes are happening in a time where Manning may not be on the team anymore. When you have a potential rookie QB coming in, it's better to build a defense to help him out (Dalton, Flacco come to mind) and give him success.

Is it just me or is it kind of ironic that after all these years of Peyton carrying a below average and somtimes incompetent coaching staff, an over rated and arrogant front office, and an all too often lack of talent with his surrounding cast, does irsay now want to finally make changes? Peyton has deserved this for years! I for one think this is a very talented assembly of coaches, one Peyton could have won multiple championships with. Pagano is a talented mind, I know I live in Baltimore, even the steelers pieces were good acquisitions. Had Peyton had this from the beginning, he would have achieved great things. It's sad the colts and manning are probably gonna part ways after wasting many great years from the games best. I hope the situation works itself out, with manning playing more years and winning a few more lombardis, hopefully with that happening in Indy. It's sad the organization wants to do right now... Now that manning may be out the door.

100% correct.

Couldn't AGREE with you more because I've been saying this for years!!!!!! Yes the Colts won MANY regular season games and a ring with Peyton but the sky could've been the limit if given GREAT coaches instead of subpar ones. Although GOOD men these coaches often came up short in the FIRST game of the playoffs. Polian will be a future HOF but his ego and failure to admit mistakes or CORRECT them cost the franchise a CHANCE at multiple rings. Lame duck coaches, bad draft picks of late, and the don't question anything I do attitude (like hiring SON Chris as gm) wore thin. I think Irsay will NOT make the same mistake this go round thus the young gm and coaching staff with the PASSION for football and each wanting to PROVE greatness. Some owners talk the talk about change but Irsay is walking the walk. To bad Peyton didn't benefit or maybe he will only time will tell....

I don't get some fans here. For years, the colts d has been soft, undersized and for the most part, pushed around almost every week with that cover 2 and it seems every team gashes us for 100 to 200 yards on a regular basis. I for one, applause the moves and to get other players as hopefully we move to a 3-4 d. This may be the fisrt time in Baltimore or Indy d history.

Polian was the weak link. None of these long neglected changes were possible until they got rid of him.

Chris Polian was the weak link. i think Bill was one of the best draft minds in the NFL. When Chris took over the draft choices went to heck in a large hand basket

Chris Polian was the weak link. i think Bill was one of the best draft minds in the NFL. When Chris took over the draft choices went to heck in a large hand basket

I don't think Chris deserved a gm position; however, he had a decent draft, addressed needs, through the draft and free agency.

I don't get some fans here. For years, the colts d has been soft, undersized and for the most part, pushed around almost every week with that cover 2 and it seems every team gashes us for 100 to 200 yards on a regular basis. I for one, applause the moves and to get other players as hopefully we move to a 3-4 d. This may be the fisrt time in Baltimore or Indy d history.

I don't think we have ever interacted directly on here, but you and I really think alike. Based in your posts, I almost always agree.

Tony Ugoh. Enough. Said.

No that was bill's doing, don't take it the wrong way, I should have been more clear, both we're weak links, I surely didn't mean to defend the son of an arrogant overrated gm, who got the job because daddy said so. They had to go..

No that was bill's doing, don't take it the wrong way, I should have been more clear, both we're weak links, I surely didn't mean to defend the son of an arrogant overrated gm, who got the job because daddy said so. They had to go..

Bill convinced Irsay to pick Peyton rather than Ryan Leaf. Thats pretty smart.

IMO everything went down hill when Dumgy left. Not to mention Howard Mudd and Tom Moore which to me was a bigger hit than Dungy leaving. Caldwell is a nice person but could not coach very well. The '09 SB run was all Dungy (gruden 2.0). He went 10-6 second year then you know the rest. Lets be honest here, the Polian, Caldwell & Co. regime did not work after 3 years. I like seeing the changes. Who knows what will happen.

There were certainly flaws with the team but it takes a season like this to make sweeping changes.

I agree. It's easy to decide to make a change after a horrific 2-12 season. It's a bit harder to make a change with double digit win seasons year after year.

I've heard commentators & reporters both say that Peyton may have wanted to keep it the way it was. Front loaded offense & just hold the lead defense. Meaning he would carry the load. I'd have to disagree with that, knowing how much that Manning wanted to win. Look at how the defense stepped up the yr they won it all. But you're spot on with your post. It should have been done alot sooner. I do like these coaching hires. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, but have been a Colt's fan for nearly 50 yrs. So, it's nice to see AFC North defensive coaching talent coming our way. I was always envious of Baltimore & Pittsburgh defenses.

Exactly.

No other teams revamp with that kind of success (which no team has EVER had) unless coaches are "taken" in offseason.

Has been done. Patriots do it when ever needed. Packers do it( went from run to more passing). It can and has been done, so it is nothing new. The Defense needed help for years and never received it always was an after thought.

I've got to the point where I didn't even care about the regular season anymore. I mean, it's like I knew we were going to make the playoffs and I had to wait until then to see if we would have an early exit.

Most cases we did :drink:

Tampa 2, not Cover 2. Big, BIG difference. One is a permanent prevent defense, while the other is just a base set that can have multiple looks, strategies, and formations.

To be fair, the changes are happening in a time where Manning may not be on the team anymore. When you have a potential rookie QB coming in, it's better to build a defense to help him out (Dalton, Flacco come to mind) and give him success.

I've heard commentators & reporters both say that Peyton may have wanted to keep it the way it was. Front loaded offense & just hold the lead defense. Meaning he would carry the load. I'd have to disagree with that, knowing how much that Manning wanted to win. Look at how the defense stepped up the yr they won it all. But you're spot on with your post. It should have been done alot sooner. I do like these coaching hires. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, but have been a Colt's fan for nearly 50 yrs. So, it's nice to see AFC North defensive coaching talent coming our way. I was always envious of Baltimore & Pittsburgh defenses.

I'd like to know where anyone has proof that Manning may not want to stay here. I mean, the media keeps saying, "he may not even want to stay here," all based on how mopey he sounded when the coaches got canned. What was he supposed to say about it?

Peyton: "I think it's great that they fired everybody. I mean, I carried this team anyway, so who's drawing the X's and O's is really irrelevant. Did you see that timeout Caldwell called that one time?"

He played the safe card, and said he's sad to see these people he's worked with his entire NFL career suddenly shown the door. Who wouldn't be saddened by that? But he is a consummate professional, and he will go back to work with whomever is there. And trust me, he will be working as the QB for the Indianapolis Colts if he can. He's flat-out stated as much. He's not spoken of, or given any indication that he wants to be anywhere else.

Great topic..as this has irritated me as well.

I am PO'd that Irsay called out Manning.....really Irsay..this guy Peyton.....told your paying fans "lets all rally together" after the loss to the NY jets for the perfect season. The fan base was rioting.

In this whole mess...this was the only thing that bothered me..Irsay calling out Peyton. Whatever Irsay does, I know he will do it for the future of the team, it doesn't mean we burn bridges with guy who helped this franchise for the last 12 years.

Tampa 2, not Cover 2. Big, BIG difference. One is a permanent prevent defense, while the other is just a base set that can have multiple looks, strategies, and formations.

I'd like to know where anyone has proof that Manning may not want to stay here. I mean, the media keeps saying, "he may not even want to stay here," all based on how mopey he sounded when the coaches got canned. What was he supposed to say about it?

Peyton: "I think it's great that they fired everybody. I mean, I carried this team anyway, so who's drawing the X's and O's is really irrelevant. Did you see that timeout Caldwell called that one time?"

He played the safe card, and said he's sad to see these people he's worked with his entire NFL career suddenly shown the door. Who wouldn't be saddened by that? But he is a consummate professional, and he will go back to work with whomever is there. And trust me, he will be working as the QB for the Indianapolis Colts if he can. He's flat-out stated as much. He's not spoken of, or given any indication that he wants to be anywhere else.

I didn't say anything about him not wanting to be here. I said in a time where he may not be on the team.

You mean the Bill Polian that had great success with two other franchises as well as the Indy franchise? The Bill Polian that brought in an undrafted and then released center that became a perennial pro bowler. Polian showed an extreme knack for finding unknown talent to fit specifically the needs for a position or of the team.

I believe the true reason that Polian had to go was because he wanted to retire. Mr. Irsay wanted to select Bill's replacement, not leave it to his one-foot-in-retirement GM.

Very true.