Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Move Clayton Geathers to ILB Permanently?

krunk

I'm not saying we should but I actually think if we bulked him up to a solid 230-235lbs he could play the WILL linebacker. Probably would do just as well as Freeman if not better. I bet he'd be sideline to sideline and would cover backs with relative ease. Still needs to work on his tight end coverage somewhat.

12 hours ago, cbear said:

CD, how would this look in your base d?  Would one of the lb be up on the line with the Rover dropping into the box?  You wouldn't literally play with three on the line? 

Why not?  Yes in the base there would be three on the line.  With modifications based on down-distance, formation etc. where a LB or two could come up to the line, a LB and safety

But I don't see any problem with playing with 3 on the line.

28 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. As it stands we are okay at Safety but weak at LB. If we moved him we would be weak at Safety and reasonably okay at LB.

Pass.

safety is probably the easiest position to fill in the nfl

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. As it stands we are okay at Safety but weak at LB. If we moved him we would be weak at Safety and reasonably okay at LB.

Pass.

Again I'm not ringing the bell for us to make the move, but it wouldn't be hard to find a top level safety in the draft that was more tuned for man to man coverage and just overall making plays in the passing game than Geathers is.  Most of what they have him doing is linebacker duties anyway.

23 hours ago, Superman said:

The more teams throw the ball, the better QBs get, the more athletic TEs get, the more you'll need both safeties to hold up in man coverage. It's not just this staff, it's sound football.

Also, most people see FS/SS alignments as the FS being further back, and the SS being more in the box. The truth is that your SS typically plays on the strong side of the formation, which is most likely where the TE or a slot receiver is. So again, the more TEs are involved as receivers, especially split to the slot and wider, the more pressure is on SS in particular. 

Kam Chancellor, IMO, has never been that good in coverage, but he sure was lined up across from Gronk last night, out wide. I think Gronk was sloppy and cost himself a TD, but Chancellor's positioning and aggressiveness contributed to that. He was in the best spot he could be to contest both a quick slant and a fade, and he was able to disrupt the play enough to throw off Gronk's footwork. 

If Geathers can be a wrecking ball and hold up in coverage, at least, then he'll have a shot. He's basically the same size as Chancellor, and his pre-draft workouts were basically the same (slightly better, actually). Give him a chance, he might be that kind of guy.

Lol hey I want him to be that guy I just won't be mad if he isn't good at coverage because his tackling is more needed to me with the way some of these players "tackle" on this team 

On 11/12/2016 at 10:51 PM, twfish said:

I like leaving him at strong safety. Taking him away from there and putting him at Ilb puts a hole at safety. Now if this draft we can't find a good ILB but can find an excellent safety I'm for it. Don't forget Geathers has very similar measurables as green just a tad stouter

You need to go back and look at those measurable`s again.
 Very different frames, weight, speed.

As of today i like Geathers potential as a 2nd - 3rd and long LB in our oft used 4-2-5.
  Probably better than his LT potential as a safety. But it really is all about hybrid, versatile defense so he

can become a VG asset in a Quality Unit. 

The NFL is a 3WR league now for the most part.  Against teams that run 2TE or a FB then Geathers is better suited as a SS.  Against 3WR sets he's better suited as the "nickel LB" but that would mean we need another SS in the future to keep him there.  Mike Adams is at the end and to make Gearthers our nickel LB we need a Mike Adams successor because most teams run 3WR+ than they do 2TE or FB packages.

So my answer is yes but it just means we have a lot more work to do depth wise.

7 minutes ago, tikyle said:

The NFL is a 3WR league now for the most part.  Against teams that run 2TE or a FB then Geathers is better suited as a SS.  Against 3WR sets he's better suited as the "nickel LB" but that would mean we need another SS in the future to keep him there.  Mike Adams is at the end and to make Gearthers our nickel LB we need a Mike Adams successor because most teams run 3WR+ than they do 2TE or FB packages.

So my answer is yes but it just means we have a lot more work to do depth wise.

The thing is teams do not run no huddle as much as they used to, IMO. Thus, we don't need to think of it as having the same personnel all the time on the field. While versatility is good, the odds of a team not having to change personnel on offense to accomodate a 2 TE + FB package is low thus allowing us to actually sub in LBs that are run stuffers. Thus, Geathers necessarily does not have to be converted to an LB if we have the quality LBs on the roster, he can stay at SS and play the pass or run while the team brings in an additional LB from the sidelines while replacing a DB. Right now, the question arises due to our sub-par LB corps.

In other words, I agree with you, Geathers is fine where he is, at SS :)

In my eyes he has very good to elite type of traits if you can make him into a full time linebacker in terms of body size 6'2",  4.5 speed, Smarts and Physicality.  He's undersized in terms of weight but really only by 10-15lbs which I'm sure you could easily add on that big frame.  Even if he played primarily there I'm sure there's going to be times where you use him in other areas according to the situation.   As a safety I think he has ability to play the position, but I'm not sure of how good he'd become in man to man coverage against WR in space.  Don't think he has a high ceiling covering WR.

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

The thing is teams do not run no huddle as much as they used to, IMO. Thus, we don't need to think of it as having the same personnel all the time on the field. While versatility is good, the odds of a team not having to change personnel on offense to accomodate a 2 TE + FB package is low thus allowing us to actually sub in LBs that are run stuffers. Thus, Geathers necessarily does not have to be converted to an LB if we have the quality LBs on the roster, he can stay at SS and play the pass or run while the team brings in an additional LB from the sidelines while replacing a DB. Right now, the question arises due to our sub-par LB corps.

In other words, I agree with you, Geathers is fine where he is, at SS :)

I due think we have a need in a "coverage" LB and I think Geathers fits that mold better than anyone we may go after in the future.  In a perfect world we draft a LB who can play man coverage on TE and still be stout enough against the run.  Those guys are hard to find and most end up being converted SS.  If finding a true SS is easier than finding a coverage LB, I'd rather us draft another SS and make Geathers a more multiple player.  I think that approach is needed, especially with a talent void roster like we possess.  Stockpiling talent is more of a priority for us than getting specific guys to fill specific needs.  We need to be on some best player available mode for the 2017 draft.  Outside of WR/TE, we need talent EVERYWHERE

On 11/13/2016 at 11:31 AM, krunk said:

I didnt realize butler is just 30. He is somebody you do have to give consideration to at the safety spot. Hes always had very good eye for creating turnovers. Mediocre skills covering man to man on the outside, but he does appear fit to be a safety more often at least on passing downs.

I like Butler at Safety and just speaking in theoretical terms I would definitely give serious thought to moving Geathers to ILB, Butler to safety permanently. The nice thing about those two is they give you flexibility to move them when needed. Thank god for Butler and Melvin this season or it would be even uglier than it has been.

Nah I like Geathers at SS. It's Green the Colts need to do something with as he's not a FS. He's another SS but faster. He'd be a better candidate because Geathers can't cover TEs but he's decent in coverage. Mike Adams is the only true FS we got. Colts should draft Eddie Jackson.

What would be a good idea is to get a later round free safety. Kai Nacua seems to be a good pick in round four or five. He is a ball hawking free safety that could be put in like Butler is while Geathers is in at lb. That would give us good safety depth throughout. That going along with picking up say Anthony walker in the third would work great in our defense. Defense would have some versatility to it. Keep Geathers at SS on running teams and lb with passing teams.