Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians New Offensive Coordinator?

Wyld1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate the hire, but it's not my favorite, i live in Pittsburgh so i've seen his offense a number of times. He's great at developing QB's and with his offense we will continue with a Peyton Manning like offense. It will either be 50+ passes per game or a Balanced Offense like the steelers had two years ago. I think he could be good depending if we surround who ever the QB is with many weapons.

I guess im going to be in the minority who likes the hire. His offense may be boring to some of you, but he has been successful no matter who was under center. He won games with rookie Ben Roethlisberger, Chrlie Batch,Byron Leftwich, and Dennis Dixion. He might actually be able to get our running game going, which has been a huge downfall for our Colts since at least 2007. The guy is a proven winner.

I agree 100%.........Big Ben was complaining just at the Pro Bowl yesterday why they didn't resign him...,

Apparently Adam has more ins with the Colts organization than the Webmaster for Colts.com....I found out about this from ESPN.com and havent been able to find anything here except for this forum.

I hope Clyde Christensen didn't find out about this the same way I did.

Maybe the tweet Adam received was the one meant for CC. :(

The one thing Manning had a hold onto was the offense, I could see keeping Manning if they kept the OC, keep same familiarity, the change at OC means a different style of offense and what I think is the end of #18 in Indy. Truely a sad day.

you do know that this was peyton's first qb coach so he knows what peyton likes to do

EXCERPT

Bruce Arians, Colts agree

Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has agreed to become theIndianapolis Colts' new offensive coordinator, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Arians is scheduled to fly to Indianapolis on Monday to review and sign the contract.

Team sources had told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen Jan. 22 that the Steelers let Arians' contract expire against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense during the past three seasons, but finished a disappointing 12th this past season

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7513729/source-bruce-arians-india...

Well there main reason primarily is because under Arians, Pittsburgh changed from their run pounding ways to more of a passing offense to suit Rothlisberger. That isn't going to fly for long with that franchise and fan base. They are smashmouth football folks. Arian's passing emphasis is better suited to Indy's offensive style. But I know that we also have plenty of fans here who also appreciate and would like to see more smashmouth offensive football. We need a more balanced overall offensive approach in the new era.

Keep the smashmouth run-heavy stuff on the coasts (49ers, Steelers, etc)...Indianapolis is great because they can LIGHT IT UP. Who doesnt love seeing Peyton score 3TDs in ONE quarter or run his two minute hurry-up offense.

I think Arians approach is so similiar to CCs that the only reason I see to go out and get this guy is to BLOW UP any remaining links Peyton has to Indy

EXCERPT

Bruce Arians, Colts agree

Former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has agreed to become theIndianapolis Colts' new offensive coordinator, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Arians is scheduled to fly to Indianapolis on Monday to review and sign the contract.

Team sources had told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen Jan. 22 that the Steelers let Arians' contract expire against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense during the past three seasons, but finished a disappointing 12th this past season

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7513729/source-bruce-arians-india...

Lousy offensive line, OVER-RATED Big Ben, injuries to RBs.

You can't blame that on Arians.

Keep the smashmouth run-heavy stuff on the coasts (49ers, Steelers, etc)...Indianapolis is great because they can LIGHT IT UP. Who doesnt love seeing Peyton score 3TDs in ONE quarter or run his two minute hurry-up offense.

I think Arians approach is so similiar to CCs that the only reason I see to go out and get this guy is to BLOW UP any remaining links Peyton has to Indy

Well, your theory holds no water.

Arians has history with manning.

how is that irrelevant? hes familiar with peyton. he knows what kind of offense peyton runs. he can adopt the offense to peyton's style of play

irrelevant because we have an offense that works just fine with peyton manning and changing that IMHO does not bode well for #18.

how is that irrelevant? hes familiar with peyton. he knows what kind of offense peyton runs. he can adopt the offense to peyton's style of play

Exactly. I look at is as an upgrade. Plus, it's being reported that Clyde is being kept on.

We can't look at every move as 'how will it effect Peyton', we have to look at them as how they will effect the team. This is a positive IMHO. Davis would also be a big upgrade.

irrelevant because we have an offense that works just fine with peyton manning and changing that IMHO does not bode well for #18.

Not really. As of recent we have become heavily reliant on 18 instead of a more balanced attack. Arians could possibly bring that.

what exactly is changing? this guy is pass happy and has work with peyton before so i dont see why he would change the system

irrelevant. I have a bad feeling about the whole situation.

Arians having been Peyton's coach in his first year is irrelevant because Peyton has improved his style of play from where he was ten years ago...it's like asking some one whose worked on restoring your Model T to work on your 2011 Ford Shelby just because it's a Ford and he's worked with you before.

Arians having been Peyton's coach in his first year is irrelevant because Peyton has improved his style of play from where he was ten years ago...it's like asking some one whose worked on restoring your Model T to work on your 2011 Ford Shelby just because it's a Ford and he's worked with you before.

But its still the same style of play, just quicker and more thought out play-calling and releases. mod edit

just because some things are different doesnt mean the whole thing is different

Didnt Arians only work with manning for his first (and 2nd year?) in the nfl? Yeah Coltsrule its a big difference between now and 10 years ago.

Anyways so for our "best staff in the nfl" quote from Pagano, we have

HC- chuck Pagano

OC- bruce Arians

WR coach- clyde christensen

DC- butch davis maybe? Anyone else? not sure on this one

The one thing Manning had a hold onto was the offense, I could see keeping Manning if they kept the OC, keep same familiarity, the change at OC means a different style of offense and what I think is the end of #18 in Indy. Truely a sad day.

Bruce Arians started out in Indy and was one of the coaches that helped groom Peyton in his early years. So this isn't necessarily true. But we still have to wait till March 8th to know for sure.

Why does everyone make a big deal out of the history that Peyton and Arians share? Are you telling me that Peyton and Arians have been working together every offseason since Arians left Indianapolis?

The reason Ben didn't want to let go of Arians, the reason Peyton felt like he's walking on eggshells and Phillip Rivers saved Norv Turner's job is because players like continuity.

Having worked with someone ten years ago is not continuity...that's like seeing that guy who sat behind you in Biology at your High School reunion...it's just awkward.

Why does everyone make a big deal out of the history that Peyton and Arians share? Are you telling me that Peyton and Arians have been working together every offseason since Arians left Indianapolis?

The reason Ben didn't want to let go of Arians, the reason Peyton felt like he's walking on eggshells and Phillip Rivers saved Norv Turner's job is because players like continuity.

Having worked with someone ten years ago is not continuity...that's like seeing that guy who sat behind you in Biology at your High School reunion...it's just awkward.

Continuity has turned to stagnation.

On offense, we've had the same people and production has declined.

Didnt Arians only work with manning for his first (and 2nd year?) in the nfl? Yeah Coltsrule its a big difference between now and 10 years ago.

Anyways so for our "best staff in the nfl" quote from Pagano, we have

HC- chuck Pagano

OC- bruce Arians

WR coach- clyde christensen

DC- butch davis maybe? Anyone else? not sure on this one

LOL Well the new coach in Tampa Bay also said that he was going to put together the best staff in the NFL in his press conference so you can't take those kind of statements too literally. They all say things in the press conference to try and make a good impression.

Not to mention if we are keeping CC it's a sign that the Colts are putting a couple of people around Peyton that know Peyton.

Rather it means we are keeping Peyton or not remains to be seen. I think it's a bigger sign it means the Colts like the offensive system they have been using and want to try to keep that while tweaking it some.

I do think for those trying to figure out who we are going to draft that this could be seen as a sign that we are going to draft Andrew Luck. It has been speculated that Andrew Luck is more ready to run a system like the Colts have used than RG3 is.

All this is just pure speculation on our parts but reading the tea leaves so to speak I take these moves as signs that the Colts want to keep Peyton Manning (if healthy) and draft Andrew Luck. That's what a lot of people here have thought was going to happen from day one. So I just see that as another sign of that being the plane. With that said I free admit I could be 100% wrong.

But its still the same style of play, just quicker and more thought out play-calling and releases. mod edit

mod edit

So you're thinking is that a West Coast offense, a Smashmouth offense, a Spread offense and a Vertical offense are all the same because they involve a quarterback throwing to a receiver?

WOW!

LOL Well the new coach in Tampa Bay also said that he was going to put together the best staff in the NFL in his press conference so you can't take those kind of statements too literally. They all say things in the press conference to try and make a good impression.

Yeah every coach wants and thinks they have the best staff in the NFL. I didn't take much out of that comment other than just coach speek.

With that said I do like the staff he is starting to put togeather right now. If he lands Davis combined with this move he's off to a good start.

Who cares if Peyton has improved his style of play...he's still running the same offensive system he started out with when he came in as a rookie. Arian is a part of that same offensive philosophy continuity chain. Whether or not that signals anything about the Colts future intentions regarding 18 is still to be determined though. At the very least it may show they are still married to the same offensive philosophical approach going forward into the future with whoever is at quarterback.

Manning has a history with Arians. I don't see it as a negative. And if Clyde really is staying as receivers coach, then that's good as well.

Yeah every coach wants and thinks they have the best staff in the NFL. I didn't take much out of that comment other than just coach speek.

With that said I do like the staff he is starting to put togeather right now. If he lands Davis combined with this move he's off to a good start.

Get Davis in here with BA and Pags hit a home run...

My thoughts on the Bruce Arians hire:

1. Runs a lot of WR screens
  2. Offense not always about timing, a lot of vertical go routes in the playbook
  3. Does the hiring of Arians mean we are going to draft speedier wideouts like a Mike Wallace or Antonio Brown (I can already see one of the Arkansas wideouts Joe Adams or Jarius Wright on our roster after the draft)?
  4. Does the hiring of Arians also mean we may go with a more mobile QB like RG3 over Luck or is Luck mobile enough for Arians' system?

This almost smells like curtains for Peyton in Indy, from an offensive system stand point and everything else, IMO.

Manning has a history with Arians. I don't see it as a negative. And if Clyde really is staying as receivers coach, then that's good as well.

Agreed Superman. The argument can be made that this would actually seem to bode very well for Manning. They retained Clyde and brought back someone who worked very intimately with him during the early part of his career. Offense philosophy doesn't appear to be changing which is a positive sign for those hoping Peyton sticks around. That said it's still all about where he is March 8th. Arians could also groom Luck if he has to take the reins his first year. Seems like a solid hire for us regardless of what happens with Peyton.