Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Harris Jr. names T.Y. as one of 5 toughest receivers he's ever covered

James

T.Y. Hilton
T.Y. is a guy who can really hurt you when the Colts line him up in the slot. Again, I’m going to sound like a broken record, but it’s true — T.Y. is another guy who can line up all over the field, which makes him very unpredictable. 

Similar to AB, he’s a guy who is very patient in his routes, but the thing that sticks out the most is that he takes very precise angles.

Typically, when a receiver is lined up in the slot, he’s going to run a lot of short routes. So as a DB, it makes your life a little easier, because your mentality is, Alright, I’m just gonna be physical and defend my box. But you can’t have that mentality with T.Y., because he’ll take you deep from the slot.When I’m watching film of a receiver, the first thing I notice is the angles he takes in his breaks. Does he slow down a little bit and round his angles? Or does he make a sharp break? A lot of young receivers will round off their angles, which allows DBs to make a break inside toward the ball. The best route runners make very sharp, precise breaks at full speed. T.Y. is phenomenal at this. He doesn’t just plant and make a cut, he explodes into his breaks. T.Y. has an extra takeoff gear that not a lot of guys have.

A guy like Julian Edelman, another great slot receiver, will find the holes in the zone and move the chains on you. But T.Y. is the rare big-play slot guy who can run 20-yard routes from the middle of the field.

His trademark is the deep over route. T.Y. starts on one side and runs all the way across the field. The DB is typically going to be one-on-one against him with no help over the top, so it’s very difficult. You’re basically in an isolated foot race. The key is to get your hands on him early, right at the line, but if you miss and he gets a step on you, it’s gonna be a huge play.

Full article here: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/top-5-nfl-receivers-chris-harris-jr/

We know T.Y. is a top class receiver. A pro bowl caliber player who is off to a great start to this season. But it's nice to actually hear this from a top CB like Chris Harris Jr.. Nice little read. 

37 minutes ago, James said:

Full article here: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/top-5-nfl-receivers-chris-harris-jr/

We know T.Y. is a top class receiver. A pro bowl caliber player who is off to a great start to this season. But it's nice to actually hear this from a top CB like Chris Harris Jr.. Nice little read. 

That might be the most detailed, complimentary article on a Colts player by a rival I have ever seen... much better than any journalist article I have seen.

35 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

That might be the most detailed, complimentary article on a Colts player by a rival I have ever seen... much better than any journalist article I have seen.

Did you read the rest of the article too? It was really good. Kinda gives insight on how the mind of a very good DB works. 

TY is showing me a lot this year.  We are actually using him in short AND deep stuff.  That's what makes Antonio Brown special.  That's what's making TY special this year.  He's more than just a speedster now.  His final level of evolution will be scoring inside the redzone.  We have yet to find routes for him to run that are almost automatic inside the 10 (i.e. the fade or slant for Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne in the back of the end zone somehow always open).

Good stuff. TY for posting this, because Hilton has had plenty of detractors concerning his ability to be a #1 receiver since coming into the league. He reminds me allot of Marvelous. I see Hilton taking very crisp routes and making those same routes/catches that Harrison used to amaze us with in his day. JMO of course :)

3 hours ago, tikyle said:

TY is showing me a lot this year.  We are actually using him in short AND deep stuff.  That's what makes Antonio Brown special.  That's what's making TY special this year.  He's more than just a speedster now.  His final level of evolution will be scoring inside the redzone.  We have yet to find routes for him to run that are almost automatic inside the 10 (i.e. the fade or slant for Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne in the back of the end zone somehow always open).

I'm not sure he'll be able to do this.  Great red zone targets are usually big guys with good catch windows.  

TY's most important trait is his speed.  But speed isn't something you can take much advantage of in a clustered red zone.  

1 hour ago, GoColtsWin said:

Good stuff. TY for posting this, because Hilton has had plenty of detractors concerning his ability to be a #1 receiver since coming into the league. He reminds me allot of Marvelous. I see Hilton taking very crisp routes and making those same routes/catches that Harrison used to amaze us with in his day. JMO of course :)

I've been saying the same regarding comparison for a few seasons, totally agree!!!!

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I hope this puts to bed the comments about TY not being a #1. Just because he is not as tall as some think a #1 receiver needs to be, this should enlighten that attitude.

There are receivers like Marvin Harrison and Wes Welker broke that myth years ago.

Remember when some in here didn't even think he was a Top 10 WR in the league, there was a thread a while back asking if he was Top 10.