Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lack of awareness on down and distance

Gyworks

In yesterday's game we saw at least five situations when our RBs and WRs started to dance around trying to dodge defenders instead of leaning forward to pick up one two yards, which would have been enough for a 1st in most cases. Probably the most blatant example when on 4th&1 Luck fails to move 2 steps forward. Isn't it a coaching issue once again?

10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

That situation wasn't a coaching decision. Luck wanted to trust Allen on that throw. I was a heartbreaking lose. However we now have to win against the Bears. 

What a sad Super Bowl rematch huh?

18 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

In yesterday's game we saw at least five situations when our RBs and WRs started to dance around trying to dodge defenders instead of leaning forward to pick up one two yards, which would have been enough for a 1st in most cases. Probably the most blatant example when on 4th&1 Luck fails to move 2 steps forward. Isn't it a coaching issue once again?

No.    That's not how football works.

That one is entirely on Andrew Luck, not the coaches.

Yesterday was probably the only example of Luck making a mistake in that exact situation.  I wish he would've just ran it but I have no problem with him throwing it to an open TE whose only job in that situation is to catch the ball.  People can hate on Luck all they want but if he would've ran an gotten hurt they would be angrier with him IMO.  If you watch replay, I believe there were 2 or 3 guys closing in fast on Luck so he probably wouldn't have been able to slide.  Luck has phenomenal situational awareness.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know... you have a good point, it was a bad decision by Luck. But just like you teach players to take care of the football you should also teach them to take the sure few yards that are there rather than dance backwards for questionable gain with multiple defenders in front of you.

Just now, a06cc said:

I have this as the situation as well but us at 12-4

I'm sure a lot of people will question me why i feel we'll be in the SB.

So I'll explain now. This season for the Colts feels like the year the Giants upset the undefeated Patriots in the SB 

NO ONE expected that. No one expects the Colts to make the playoffs. All the hype is surrounding 

Denver 

New England 

Philadelphia 

Dallas

Pittsburgh 

Atlanta 

Oakland 

Seattle 

I have the Colts crashing the party this year 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

After re-watching this play several times, it's clear that Luck made the proper decision. People who have not gone back and re-watched this play are clearly miss-remembering how things unfolded. 

People insist that Luck needed to take two more steps and he would've had the first down. In reality, Luck was in the shotgun when he took the snap (4 yards behind the LOS) and then he took a 2 step drop. He moved towards his left and moved up in the pocket. When he threw the ball he was 5-yards away from the first down marker, with a defender bearing down on him to his right and a defender bearing down on him from behind. It's eerily similar to how Luck was injured in the Denver game.

Here is a link to the "highlights" from the game. Go to the 2:50 marker and re-watch the play. Luck made a good decision in light of just having just missed a season due to injury on a very similar play.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000714687/article/frustrated-luck-im-tired-of-almost-after-latest-loss

It was the right decision -- the placement of the ball was not good.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Entirely?  While he could have ran for the first down, Luck made a throw and it hit Allen in his hands.  It wasn't a bad decision to make that throw.  Allen was open and Luck's pass hit him in the hands.  How is that entirely on Luck?

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Entirely?  While he could have ran for the first down, Luck made a throw and it hit Allen in his hands.  It wasn't a bad decision to make that throw.  Allen was open and Luck's pass hit him in the hands.  How is that entirely on Luck?

Luck's throw wasn't very good....  if it had been a foot further to left, where it should've been,  the defender would not have been able to disrupt the play...      it wasn't a great throw.

Should Allen have caught it?       Maybe....     but at that moment,   Luck has to put it where only Allen can catch it....    

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

So I'll explain now. This season for the Colts feels like the year the Giants upset the undefeated Patriots in the SB 

NO ONE expected that. No one expects the Colts to make the playoffs. All the hype is surrounding 

Denver 

New England 

Philadelphia 

Dallas

Pittsburgh 

Atlanta 

Oakland 

Seattle 

The sad part is I could see them really catching fire midway through the season, but it may be too late.  

9 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

How? 10-6 would win this division 

Houston isn't gonna last long with JJ 

They're going to have to win out against their division to have a chance and that would only leave them @ 6 wins considering they have 5 more games against divisional foes, lol.  You have to think they have to play Minn, Pitts, GB, Kansas, Oak, Jets, Houston twice.  Those teams aren't slouches.  They are going to have to dominate to be 10-6.

When Bill Polian and Dungy had their coaches assembled - Jim Caldwell as QB coach, Frank Reich as WR coach, Ron Meeks as DC, two of those coaches, mainly Caldwell and Reich did a lot for our ball club, I felt. Caldwell is now a HC, Reich an OC and one thing we rarely did was shoot ourselves in the foot as much due to which we could hang with the elite teams even if we did come up short at the end. Ron Meeks was one person I wish we could have changed, heck Mike Tomlin, a former DB coach might have brought more aggression that we wanted for DC. Polian, while investing heavily on offense, drafted system guys and Dungy and his coaches got as much as they could out of them. It helped during the regular season because the O wins more games but the lack of a complete team showed up at playoff time more often than not. In other words, our coaches in Caldwell and Reich were better than we gave them credit for, IMO. 

I strongly feel having a guy like Reggie Wayne teach our wide outs the nuances of route running, spatial awareness to find zones that your QB can immediately spot, can only help. When you change Johnnys and Joes several times but come up with the same results, you have to look long and hard at coaching for different elements, not for adjustments across games but within quarters of a game. I saw it in Denver. When JDR was coaching D, the adjustments were probably made at half time. When Wade Philips is coaching D, the adjustments are made within a couple of series. That is why I felt we should have gone after Jim Schwartz, and now the Eagles are balling. The same talent, with better coaching, can improve significantly that it helps out the other side of the ball, I am a firm believer in that.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Luck's throw wasn't very good....  if it had been a foot further to left, where it should've been,  the defender would not have been able to disrupt the play...      it wasn't a great throw.

Should Allen have caught it?       Maybe....     but at that moment,   Luck has to put it where only Allen can catch it....    

Had he thrown it a second earlier Allen was wide open He hesitated...  He also could have taken a couple of steps and picked it up on his own.

He has a lot of pressure on him not to take hits and not put his body in jeopardy.  I think there is too much emphasis on telling him to protect himself that he cant play football anymore and he has to second guess instinct 

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Denver 

New England 

Philadelphia 

Dallas

Pittsburgh 

Atlanta 

Oakland 

Seattle 

Me as well. This team just needs to start out fast and have better 3rd down defense. 

If I were Andrew, I would have picked up that 1st myself. I know Irsay mentioned for Luck to take care of himself as there were 3 rookie linemen. I'm sure that was in the back of his mind for the entire game. Which is probably why he didn't want to run into traffic to pick up the 1st. I think Andrew is over thinking or over complicating some plays. I would like to see no more throwing plays on 3rd and 1 situations. That is just.... stupid. Pound the football in there. Or be creative with it and QB sneak it.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:08 AM, Gyworks said:

Not at all..split second decision...good play by the defense...

I wish he had dived for the 1st down...but in  the long run, we don't want him doing that..

we're 2 plays from being 3-1