Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day 7

Everyone

Enjoyed this:

Pass rushers. The Colts have four primary young pass rushers in training camp: Earl Okine, Trevor Bates, Ron Thompson, and Curt Maggitt, and the first three have all had very impressive camps (Maggitt has missed some time due to injury). Today, Okine, Bates, and Thompson all flashed once again. Okine had two “sacks” (which are judgment calls in camp). Bates generated some good pressure at times too, and Ron Thompson helped crash the pocket on two different occasions (once of which was on the same play as one of Okine’s sacks). I think all three guys have done a good job as pass rushers during training camp, and while it’s important to caution not to expect much early on from them, I think the Colts at the very least have some intriguing developmental talent to keep around. I’m still very skeptical of the pass rush for this year, but the hope is that some of these guys will continue to develop. As for Maggitt, he returned to practice today after missing several days, and the most interesting thing I noticed today was where he was working. It’s important to not make too much of it right now, but Maggitt was working in coverage during the 7-on-7 drills despite the fact that the pass rush drill - involving Okine, Bates, and Thompson, among others - was going on at the same time. Could that perhaps indicate that the Colts view Maggitt as the better overall linebacker and the better one in coverage, meaning he could play behind Erik Walden on the strongside? It’s too early to tell what that means, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/8/4/12380918/colts-camp-notebook-day-seven

Seems like Okine is making noise with each practice and I dig that!