Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Petition

coltsfan84

Is it possible and/or how could we go about starting a petition/open letter for Irsay to convince him to keep Peyton around and give him some kind of administrative position if he is unable to play?

I myself feel it would be disrepectful to just kick him to the curb imo.I don't know,anyone else feel the same or am I just being silly? haha

How about we let Peyton decide his future? I've heard on various threads that we should hire him as an assistant coach, head coach, QB coach, and now an administrative position.

I'm not sure that Peyton wants to do anything else right now other than play QB for the Colts. Let's leave it at that for now.

Pardon the tone of this response, I am saying this with respect.

Hi.

Newbie here, so I can't start a thread, but I have a question.

Can anyone explain to me the options we have with Peyton, and what they mean for the cap? If we trade him, cut him or simply pay him what does that mean for our cap?

Thanks.

Whoops. Never mind. I just saw the thread below. My fault.

Mr. Irsay, should keep Peyton,,,it would be a terrible thing to release someone that has brought football to Indy..I agree if Peyton chooses not to play, then let him be the Asst. Coach, offensive coordinator,,, or QB coach,,,he deserves the right to get inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Indianapolis Colt...just saying....

I am all for a Peyton petition! He should be retained. There is no way, no how that Manning should play for anyone else besides the Colts! It is not justified for him to be cut and play elsewhere! For God Sakes, he is the best to every play the position...how would you let the best there ever was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be walk away???? It doesnt add up!

Personally, I am all for keeping Peyton. But you have to be fair and do what makes business sense. Is it fair to keep Peyton here when we may not have the pieces for a championship in the next 3 or 4 years? Is it fair to say "thanks for putting Indy on the map, now spend your last few years in football teaching your replacement instead of contending for a Super Bowl". Also, does it make much sense to keep Peyton, but bring in a new head coach (quite possibly an offensive minded head coach) who would want to change the system? Does Peyton really want to spend his last 3 or 4 years learning a brand new offensive system? Does a coach really want to spend all that effort, knowing it'll all be over in a few years when they could start fresh with Luck?

I am the biggest Manning supporter. He is easily my favorite athlete in all of sports. But I think they should let him go, and give him a chance to win another ring with a contending team. Not the rebuilding Colts. Let the Colts draft Luck, start him from day 1 and have him happy. Take the 28 million saved by letting Manning walk, and resign Wayne, Mathis and hopefully Carl Nicks. With the amazing draft positions we can shorten this rebuild around Luck. It's a business, Manning deserves the best. But for the Colts future this is best.

How about we let Peyton decide his future? I've heard on various threads that we should hire him as an assistant coach, head coach, QB coach, and now an administrative position.

I'm not sure that Peyton wants to do anything else right now other than play QB for the Colts. Let's leave it at that for now.

Pardon the tone of this response, I am saying this with respect.

Totally agreed.

I think the possibility is open for him anyway.

I am the biggest Manning supporter. He is easily my favorite athlete in all of sports. But I think they should let him go, and give him a chance to win another ring with a contending team. Not the rebuilding Colts......

You mean the team that won 10 games in 2010 with half the squad on IR? The team that was only a few plays away from winnning it all the year before? The team that played without Peyton Manning for the 1st time since 1998 and had another dozen+ players on IR again this year? The team that gets 4 #1's and 3 #2's in this years draft, that team? And which Super Bowl contender that is just a Peyton Manning away from winning it all are you talking about?

If he cant play, no reason he cant be the OC. I dont think he wants to be a HC, but anyone who thinks he cant coach an offense is crazy. The colts havent needed an OC for years. He knows defenses, he knows the offense.

Heck, if the colts dont want him and he wants to coach, Hey Peyton, I am sure us VOL fans would love to have you come to UT and take over that program. I can imagine the recruits we would get knowing Peyton Manning was the OC or HC there. UT would be back in no time.

Is it possible and/or how could we go about starting a petition/open letter for Irsay to convince him to keep Peyton around and give him some kind of administrative position if he is unable to play?

I myself feel it would be disrepectful to just kick him to the curb imo.I don't know,anyone else feel the same or am I just being silly? haha

Forgive me but you are being silly with this.

No offense, but the last thing I want to see is this entitled fanbase (IMO) to get the idea that they can affect change by petitioning, complaining on message boards, or calling in to radio shows. Decisions are, and should be made, by the people with the knowledge and skills to do so. We....as fans....are too emotional, entitled, and inconsistent. It would start a nightmare.

The billboard in Denver is one such nightmarish outburst. PM has given me more joy than any football player in my 40+ years of watching the game. But i will watch the game after he is gone.

What makes you think Peyton would even want an administrative position? I mean seriously a petition?

Why would a guy running a Billion dollar business care about an online peition anyway. He will do what he thinks is best for his franchise.

If he drafts Luck and Peyton leaves, time will tell if he was right or not. My guess is if within a few years the Colts are back to being a legit contender with Luck, a redone defense, and more young talent, the Manningate of 2012 will be an afterthought. 18 will be in HOF and the ring of honor where he belongs, not in a token job he wouldnt want anyway.

No offense, but the last thing I want to see is this entitled fanbase (IMO) to get the idea that they can affect change by petitioning, complaining on message boards, or calling in to radio shows. Decisions are, and should be made, by the people with the knowledge and skills to do so. We....as fans....are too emotional, entitled, and inconsistent. It would start a nightmare.

The billboard in Denver is one such nightmarish outburst. PM has given me more joy than any football player in my 40+ years of watching the game. But i will watch the game after he is gone.

Absolutely!

we've all heard the stories of what it was like in baltimore before the colts (wisely) jumped ship. anytime i hear someone ranting on & on about the team needs this & that, i tune out

CF 84..

I'd bet Mr Irsay reads this message board.......

He's like that...he knows how the fans feel about Manning

.....I think that when Peyton has retired..he will certainly have a job with the Colts.

he wont end up owning a losing team elsewhere like Michael Jordan

IMO only.....I would bet that they (meaning Irsay and Manning) have a plan in place for all scenerios that could play out with his recovery, which ever one comes about....then they will know what to do. It just sucks not knowing. What shall be, shall be. GO COLTS!

Send me $100 bills with your name, and I'll email part of it (minus my administrative petition fee) to Jimmy. I guarantee that will be as effective as a letter/petition! :)

So a question for you - how much money has Peyton made as a Colt (and this should include endorsements and commercials)? I'll guess $200-300 Million. Yes, that's with a capital M. Still feel sorry for him? How many lifetimes would it take you (or me) to earn that? Remember that he has about 1/3 to 1/2 the year off, and plays games about 16 weeks/years. Bet you work more that that - I know I do! :)

I am the biggest Manning supporter. He is easily my favorite athlete in all of sports. But I think they should let him go, and give him a chance to win another ring with a contending team. Not the rebuilding Colts. Let the Colts draft Luck, start him from day 1 and have him happy. Take the 28 million saved by letting Manning walk, and resign Wayne, Mathis and hopefully Carl Nicks. With the amazing draft positions we can shorten this rebuild around Luck. It's a business, Manning deserves the best. But for the Colts future this is best.

If we are truly in a rebuilding mode, I would assume we would want to start over with everything. So instead of paying big bucks to keep aging guys like Mathis and Wayne, wouldn't it be better to trade their negotiating rights to a team and get some picks in return? I'm not sure how it works with the new CBA, but is that a possibility?

Send me $100 bills with your name, and I'll email part of it (minus my administrative petition fee) to Jimmy. I guarantee that will be as effective as a letter/petition! :)

So a question for you - how much money has Peyton made as a Colt (and this should include endorsements and commercials)? I'll guess $200-300 Million. Yes, that's with a capital M. Still feel sorry for him? How many lifetimes would it take you (or me) to earn that? Remember that he has about 1/3 to 1/2 the year off, and plays games about 16 weeks/years. Bet you work more that that - I know I do! :)

1/3 to 1/2 the year off? Not at all. From what I've heard and read, players get less than a month off before they get back to their own workouts, then OTAs and minicamps, then training camp, etc. And yes, he only plays games for 3 hours each week, but he puts in tons of hours of practice too. Film study, on the practice field, in the weight room, these are all the things we don't really hear about or see. But all that extra work and preparation is what makes Peyton so great. I've heard he throws hundreds of footballs in the offseason. So just because there are no games, doesn't mean he isn't working

You mean the team that won 10 games in 2010 with half the squad on IR? The team that was only a few plays away from winnning it all the year before? The team that played without Peyton Manning for the 1st time since 1998 and had another dozen+ players on IR again this year? The team that gets 4 #1's and 3 #2's in this years draft, that team? And which Super Bowl contender that is just a Peyton Manning away from winning it all are you talking about?

Where are you going to get 4 #1s, and 3 # 2's in this years draft? There is no team on the planet giving you that for the number 1 pick.

I don't know why people think the Colts are going to kick Manning to the curb. If he wants to stay ONLY if he's 100% healthy he will stay. Yes if they draft Luck they might work out something where Manning might only play the next couple years, or they might draft RGiii who would be more willing to sit behind Manning if he can play for 4-5 years at a high level. Heck for all we know with all these changes Manning MIGHT want to go somewhere else, who knows.

From what I have observed, most Colts fans dont care. They want a young QB. They think Manning is done and washed up. Their wishes came true with new GM and new HC. This new GM wants Manning out.

People here are saying that Irsay loves Manning. I just don't see him getting caught up in sentimental things at this point.

NFL is a tough business. No matter what Manning did for the Colts and their fans, it's all forgotten and people wanna move on.

Now I dont agree with any of this, and as you can tell I disagree with pretty much everyone on this forum. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Peyton play here until he is 50.

How can you be so sure that Andrew Luck will not be a bust? or just an average player in the NFL? because ESPN told you so?

Anyone who won't support the Colts without Manning isn't a real Colts fan and I am looking forward to seeing you go. Don't get me wrong I appreciate everything Manning has done for this team and it's going to be hard to see him go. But there comes a time when you need to look to the future, when you need to do what is best for yourself. Manning has been treated well as a Colt, heck actually kind of spoiled. He has been paid great money and allowed more freedom in his playcalling than any QB, possibly in the history of the game. If anything it might be time for Manning to give back to the Colts. I am not saying Manning should ride the bench, but renegotiate his contract. Transition things to the future with Luck. Manning can't play forever and for all we know, might not play again.

The Colts are taking a risk picking up the option, a big one. There is a chance Manning could re-injure his neck and that is it, he's done. The Colts not protecting themselves and not having a QB ready to step up, isn't an option. This is a very real possibility. We saw what happened this year and it was more than obvious this team was not prepared for this situation. Players don't last forever, eventually they physically break down and you have to move on. I would love to see Manning on the sidelines with this team and ultimately I think that is his decision. But if not, I am still a fan and Irsay had his reasons.

Irsay is probably one of the biggest Manning fans out there. He wanted to make Manning the top paid player. But Irsay is also a business man and he has to make decisions that are good for his business in the future. These decisions are also good for us as fans, because it means this team is working to be successful again and not waiting for 2-3 more seasons of failure.

I was hoping this wouldn't be a situation like Green Bay where alot of the fans picked Favre over the team and Rodgers. I told many of those fans Rodgers was a good QB and they just had to be patient. That the Packers made the right decision by letting Favre go. They cried and complained that Favre was gone. They went as far as booing him in his first game as a starter. Then of course when they won with Rodgers, it was time to move on, but only then. Same thing here, I hope fans support whoever is the QB and if it's Luck booing won't do any good. It will just proved we are a bunch of spoiled babies, just like the media says. I hope we, as Colts fans are better than that. If Luck is our starting QB that the fans support him and understand there will be some struggling and growing pains. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling that is not case for alot of Colts fans.

How much money he made for Colts, Indianapolis and the Intangibles ( mental happiness to fans ) - Priceless. Don't try to measure what he did and if you do, do it right.

Just to clarify,I respect Peyton's and Irsay's decision-that is no ones business but their own.Not trying to dictate the decision making process via Tebow/Rodgers.Doesn't really matter if Luck is drafted or not that is their decision to make.Just kind of coming up with ideas to let Peyton know regardless of what happens,he is appreciated for all he's done.

So no offense to anyone's opinions and sorry if I displeased anyone.GO COLTS! :cheer: