Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Can Make Any Nfl Team A Sb Contender.

SilentHill

Ok so who wants to argue this? I say that Peyton Manning will make any team he plays for in 2012-2013 a SB contender. We fielded a worse team in the 2010-2011 season and we almost made it to the AFC championship game (and probably would have if it wasn't for Caldwell)

If Manning is ready to play and his throws are on point I don't see any way we possibly release / trade/ whatever him, no matter who is on the bench waiting for their turn. If he isn't healthy then that is a different story. I'm just not sure how some people here can believe a word of it that we would release a healthy Manning to make room for an un-proven rookie.

Ok so who wants to argue this? I say that Peyton Manning will make any team he plays for in 2012-2013 a SB contender. We fielded a worse team in the 2010-2011 season and we almost made it to the AFC championship game (and probably would have if it wasn't for Caldwell)

If Manning is ready to play and his throws are on point I don't see any way we possibly release / trade/ whatever him, no matter who is on the bench waiting for their turn. If he isn't healthy then that is a different story. I'm just not sure how some people here can believe a word of it that we would release a healthy Manning to make room for an un-proven rookie.

Agreed but if the Colts need to make room for Luck, it wont be by releasing Manning.

I am starting to wonder if the Colts feel like Manning isn't going to be healthy and are getting themsevles ready to move on without him for health reasons.

Someone yesterday said they thought our GM knew more than he was saying about Manning and if that's true maybe that is what he knows. It could be the doctors have told them hey it's not 100% he's done but it's like a 75% chance he's done and while the Colts aren't going to give up on Manning yet they would be foolish not to develop a plan if it comes to that.

I could be 100% wrong about this I know no insider info on this and am just throwing something out there that I have been starting to wonder myself.

I think if Manning is healthy he stays and the Colts in a perfect world take Luck and he sits. If Luck wants to force a trade then maybe the Colts do what the Chargers did with the Giants and Eli Manning and end up with RGIII and a bonus pick or two to go with him and RGIII sits since RGIII said the other day he would be willing to do that.

I am not going to rule out releasing a healthy Peyton Manning but I think it would be unlikely because I think Irsay knows that isn't exactly the PR hit the team needs right now. Coming off a 2-14 season losing Peyton Manning if healthy might be the last straw for some people and frankly people will still go to games next year to see if Peyton is truly back. Also we lost something like 7 games by a touchdown or less this past year. Is anyone really going to argue that a healthy Peyton Manning isn't worth a touchdown a game to this team at least? If we get Manning back I don't know if the team next year can be a Super Bowl team but I do think they can be a playoff team and the rebuilding process will go much quicker. With that said, they have released or let other fan favorites leaves in the past in Marvin Harrison and Edge but I don't think either are as important as Peyton Manning.

With that said I think Irsay could be trying to prepare us for the fact they don't think Peyton Manning is going to be healthy. With that said I am freely admitting this is 100% my opinion and is not backed up by fact.

A very reasonable and intelligent argument can be made for cutting him. In fact, if none of his neck issues happened and he was 100% healthy, given his current contract situation and his age, you can make that argument. But given his recent medical history, his burdensome contract, the start fresh feel of the current regime, and the QB prospect that his within their reach, releasing him is an option the Colts have to absolutely consider.

This is not something that I am hopeful for or advocating, but it is unreasonable to fail to see that as an option.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I am starting to wonder if the Colts feel like Manning isn't going to be healthy and are getting themsevles ready to move on without him for health reasons.

Someone yesterday said they thought our GM knew more than he was saying about Manning and if that's true maybe that is what he knows. It could be the doctors have told them hey it's not 100% he's done but it's like a 75% chance he's done and while the Colts aren't going to give up on Manning yet they would be foolish not to develop a plan if it comes to that.

I could be 100% wrong about this I know no insider info on this and am just throwing something out there that I have been starting to wonder myself.

I think if Manning is healthy he stays and the Colts in a perfect world take Luck and he sits. If Luck wants to force a trade then maybe the Colts do what the Chargers did with the Giants and Eli Manning and end up with RGIII and a bonus pick or two to go with him and RGIII sits since RGIII said the other day he would be willing to do that.

I am not going to rule out releasing a healthy Peyton Manning but I think it would be unlikely because I think Irsay knows that isn't exactly the PR hit the team needs right now. Coming off a 2-14 season losing Peyton Manning if healthy might be the last straw for some people and frankly people will still go to games next year to see if Peyton is truly back. Also we lost something like 7 games by a touchdown or less this past year. Is anyone really going to argue that a healthy Peyton Manning isn't worth a touchdown a game to this team at least? If we get Manning back I don't know if the team next year can be a Super Bowl team but I do think they can be a playoff team and the rebuilding process will go much quicker. With that said, they have released or let other fan favorites leaves in the past in Marvin Harrison and Edge but I don't think either are as important as Peyton Manning.

With that said I think Irsay could be trying to prepare us for the fact they don't think Peyton Manning is going to be healthy. With that said I am freely admitting this is 100% my opinion and is not backed up by fact.

I agree, a plan needs to be in place if Manning can't go. It would be a repeat of this year if we didn't have a plan. I just don't see how we release a healthy Manning.

I agree, a plan needs to be in place if Manning can't go. It would be a repeat of this year if we didn't have a plan. I just don't see how we release a healthy Manning.

You aren't the only person who feels that way. From just a pure football stand point it doesn't make sense to pay Manning if the Colts are rebuilding which they appear to be doing. However, this isn't just a pure football move. Emotions are going to factor into this and the question becomes even though it might not be "smart" thing to do will the Colts keep Manning and still draft Luck or RGIII? We shall see what happens.

A very reasonable and intelligent argument can be made for cutting him. In fact, if none of his neck issues happened and he was 100% healthy, given his current contract situation and his age, you can make that argument. But given his recent medical history, his burdensome contract, the start fresh feel of the current regime, and the QB prospect that his within their reach, releasing him is an option the Colts have to absolutely consider.

This is not something that I am hopeful for or advocating, but it is unreasonable to fail to see that as an option.

I don't get why you release him if he's healthy though. The surgery was to fix the medical issues, his contract is large, but if he wasn't worth the money then why did we pay him that? I nuderstand the whole Luck situation but I honestly think he would bench it, and if not trade down for RGIII who said he would.

You aren't the only person who feels that way. From just a pure football stand point it doesn't make sense to pay Manning if the Colts are rebuilding which they appear to be doing. However, this isn't just a pure football move. Emotions are going to factor into this and the question becomes even though it might not be "smart" thing to do will the Colts keep Manning and still draft Luck or RGIII? We shall see what happens.

My argumet is that rebuilding or not Manning makes any NFL team a SB contender.

I don't get why you release him if he's healthy though. The surgery was to fix the medical issues, his contract is large, but if he wasn't worth the money then why did we pay him that? I nuderstand the whole Luck situation but I honestly think he would bench it, and if not trade down for RGIII who said he would.

You release him because:

* drafting a QB who would want to play right away and would benefit the franchise long term if he did

* Save $10 million 2012 cap

* If you pay him and later find that he was not healthy or he gets hurt in 2012, the 2013 cap hit is an unreasonable $28 million

* You are worrieb about his health

* He is 36

As we get closer to the draft, the trade down with Cleveland at # 4 is not an option that guarantees you one of the two franchise QB's in the draft will be available. Someone will make a move with the Rams at # 2 to get RG3.

You release him because:

* drafting a QB who would want to play right away and would benefit the franchise long term if he did

* Save $10 million 2012 cap

* If you pay him and later find that he was not healthy or he gets hurt in 2012, the 2013 cap hit is an unreasonable $28 million

* You are worrieb about his health

* He is 36

As we get closer to the draft, the trade down with Cleveland at # 4 is not an option that guarantees you one of the two franchise QB's in the draft will be available. Someone will make a move with the Rams at # 2 to get RG3.

True,

Thats why you draft Luck and trade him to Cleveland + more picks for RGIII if he's available.

He can't right now due to health. I would say if he plays next year for a team other than the Colts, it would be for a team already on the verge of contending, as I could never see Manning signing with a team years away, nor could I see a very young team signing him. So from that perspective, you are 100% correct - if he is healthy. The Jets and Vikings felt that way about Favre. The Chiefs felt that way about Montana. So you would think a team that made the playoffs, or just missed, but lack upper tier QB play would be willing to risk Peyton's health and age and salary requirements at the start of the year. But if Manning is released on 3/8, and he signs with say, Cleveland, do I think the Browns are instant contenders? No. Not with that roster, and the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all decent (Bengals) if not legitimate 12-4 teams right now. And as was the case with Favre and Montana, those teams knew it was short term success they were after, as regardless of the quality of the player, 36 is 36, and it won't last forever. You can't build around a 36 year old QB for the long term. Keep in mind too that if Peyton went to any other team, would they change to the Colts style of offense? Could they revamp the roster, playcalling, weapons around Peyton to be successful in one year? Could Peyton adapt to an established playbook which he's never run in one year, and play like he never missed a beat? I'm not sure it's that easy. Even for a player as skilled, smart, and hard working as Peyton is.

That's reaching a little to say Manning could make any team a SB contender but he could make any team a winner. I agree that a decent team with Manning could be a SB contender though.

Also, there's no reason in the world for the Colts to draft RGIII. If we want to draft a QB then we take Luck, plain and simple.

He can't right now due to health. I would say if he plays next year for a team other than the Colts, it would be for a team already on the verge of contending, as I could never see Manning signing with a team years away, nor could I see a very young team signing him. So from that perspective, you are 100% correct - if he is healthy. The Jets and Vikings felt that way about Favre. The Chiefs felt that way about Montana. So you would think a team that made the playoffs, or just missed, but lack upper tier QB play would be willing to risk Peyton's health and age and salary requirements at the start of the year. But if Manning is released on 3/8, and he signs with say, Cleveland, do I think the Browns are instant contenders? No. Not with that roster, and the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all decent (Bengals) if not legitimate 12-4 teams right now. And as was the case with Favre and Montana, those teams knew it was short term success they were after, as regardless of the quality of the player, 36 is 36, and it won't last forever. You can't build around a 36 year old QB for the long term. Keep in mind too that if Peyton went to any other team, would they change to the Colts style of offense? Could they revamp the roster, playcalling, weapons around Peyton to be successful in one year? Could Peyton adapt to an established playbook which he's never run in one year, and play like he never missed a beat? I'm not sure it's that easy. Even for a player as skilled, smart, and hard working as Peyton is.

Cmon man the Browns with Manning? Game Over. Peyton Hillis is a better RB than anyone the colts even thought of having. PLus they have Cribbs in the return game, and they have one of them Gronkowski TE's There WR's arn't great but tneither are the colts. Manning will put the ball in their chest and they willgo the distance.

I'm not saying they are a lock to make the SB but they would IMHO at the very least secure a wild-card spot.

Cmon man the Browns with Manning? Game Over. Peyton Hillis is a better RB than anyone the colts even thought of having. PLus they have Cribbs in the return game, and they have one of them Gronkowski TE's There WR's arn't great but tneither are the colts. Manning will put the ball in their chest and they willgo the distance.

I'm not saying they are a lock to make the SB but they would IMHO at the very least secure a wild-card spot.

Hillis is a FA. They have no WRs (I like Massaquoi, but he's not there yet) - Reggie has ranked amongst the top WRs in the NFL every year but his first two. We could argue chicken or egg with Reggie, Marvin, the Colts RBs, TEs, etc., but it's pointless. Some would give all the credit to PM, some to the talent around him, some would (rightly) suggest you need both.

I would suggest however that to be great - SB contender great - you need weapons, plural. The Browns are a cute little team buried in a division which is loaded. What offense would they be running? So no coaches change, they draft like normal, sign FAs like normal, but run the Browns existing offensive scheme, and PM just cranks out 4500 yards and 40 TDs? Playing the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals twice each? I like your love of the GOAT, but I don't see it. I will say though, it is hard to find a lot of teams where PM wouldn't translate into instant contender, so I do generally agree with your point. I think the Browns, Rams, and Redskins (due to perennial disfunction) might be it.

Your point is well taken. It was made abundantly clear to all of us how many wins Manning means to a team, wasn't it?

I will say this again, because I said it earlier in another thread. There has never been a starting QB in the NFL that has won muliple SuperBowls with more then one team. While being the starter that is. So I will agree he might make a team a contender, but he probably will not win one. I mean what makes a contender. Realisticly any team that makes the playoffs would be considered a contender. Shoot the Seahawks make the playoffs last year with a losing record. I think they even won a playoff game. But, they never had a chance at the Lombardi Trophy. So, if Peyton is that concerned about winning another SuperBowl, then he needs to stay put if he isnt released or traded.

Hillis is a FA. They have no WRs (I like Massaquoi, but he's not there yet) - Reggie has ranked amongst the top WRs in the NFL every year but his first two. We could argue chicken or egg with Reggie, Marvin, the Colts RBs, TEs, etc., but it's pointless. Some would give all the credit to PM, some to the talent around him, some would (rightly) suggest you need both.

I would suggest however that to be great - SB contender great - you need weapons, plural. The Browns are a cute little team buried in a division which is loaded. What offense would they be running? So no coaches change, they draft like normal, sign FAs like normal, but run the Browns existing offensive scheme, and PM just cranks out 4500 yards and 40 TDs? Playing the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals twice each? I like your love of the GOAT, but I don't see it. I will say though, it is hard to find a lot of teams where PM wouldn't translate into instant contender, so I do generally agree with your point. I think the Browns, Rams, and Redskins (due to perennial disfunction) might be it.

Your point is well taken. It was made abundantly clear to all of us how many wins Manning means to a team, wasn't it?

I'm just saying... Worse team in 2010 with Manning 10 wins and lost in DIvisional round. NExt year better team without him, worst inthe league. Not much to argue about the "talent around him"

Ok so who wants to argue this? I say that Peyton Manning will make any team he plays for in 2012-2013 a SB contender. We fielded a worse team in the 2010-2011 season and we almost made it to the AFC championship game (and probably would have if it wasn't for Caldwell)......

With all respect to you -- I totally disagree. That's the flawed thinking that got us only 1 SB in the Peyton era; thinking that Peyton alone could make up for weakenesses in the team in other areas -- how well did that work out for us? (again only 1 SB ring). Peyton is awesome, and arguably the GOAT. BUT, he needs a decent team behind him. So, no, not "any team". Do you think we'd have been a contender this year if Peyton had no medical issues?

With all respect to you -- I totally disagree. That's the flawed thinking that got us only 1 SB in the Peyton era; thinking that Peyton alone could make up for weakenesses in the team in other areas -- how well did that work out for us? (again only 1 SB ring). Peyton is awesome, and arguably the GOAT. BUT, he needs a decent team behind him. So, no, not "any team". Do you think we'd have been a contender this year if Peyton had no medical issues?

I think we would have had a decent chance of making the playoffs w/ a healthy Peyton Manning.

The AFC was way down this year. We split w/ Houston without Manning so with him I assume 1 win there. I think we would have won say 3 out of 4 vs Jags & Titans. Painter almost beat Tampa so thats a win w/ Manning. Thats 5 wins with 9 other games left on the schedule.

So i think we could have contended for a playoff spot But not a Super Bowl because as usual a bad OL,horrible secondary,terrible defensive scheme and no coaching would have made us 1 & done like too many times before.

I think we would have had a decent chance of making the playoffs w/ a healthy Peyton Manning.

The AFC was way down this year. We split w/ Houston without Manning so with him I assume 1 win there. I think we would have won say 3 out of 4 vs Jags & Titans. Painter almost beat Tampa so thats a win w/ Manning. Thats 5 wins with 9 other games left on the schedule.

So i think we could have contended for a playoff spot But not a Super Bowl because as usual a bad OL,horrible secondary,terrible defensive scheme and no coaching would have made us 1 & done like too many times before.

We lost what 7 games by a touchdown or less? Is anyone going to say Peyton Manning isn't worth at least a touchdown a game to this team? So let's just say we win nine games (those seven plus the two we did win) and that's without looking at the other seven they lost. There is a good chance that Peyton could have made the difference in one or two of those games and we win them and we are right there in the playoff race.

All well it's all what if. He wasn't healthy and it has probably drasticly changed the future of this franchise.

I doubt the Colts tip their hand in any way and expect them to float any rumor that increases the value of a trade, and the #1 pick as well. In the end I think Manning retires a Colt and Luck comes to Indy. I think Manning plays and Luck waits. For now we know nothing and the media is doing a horrible job of speculating. Most of the talking heads haven't absorbed as much as we fans that follow the team closely have, and make fools of themselves within the first 2 or 3 sentences. Ignore the hype, be patient and believe only official announcement from the Colts.

I get what u are saying u make a valid point. You replace Peyton with any other QB in the league and the colts are at best an 8-8 team with no playoffs appearances. This guy has continually done more with this then anybody has ever done in NFL history, sure he had Marvin, Reggie, and Clark, but who's to say these arent a product of Peyton, Marvin only averaged 64 catches a game before Peyton(including Peyton rookies season) showed up. Then 100+ for 4 years after, then Reggie and Clark broke on to the scene. You guys witnessed what he did for tamme, collie, and Blair. On any other teams tamme doesnt see the field Blair is on the practice squad and collie 4th WR. The offensive line has always been a mess, Saturday....that's it. That's not even talking about the defense yet, oh that's why cause we never had one. We had bob for a couple games a year then freeny and Mathis on the out side. IMO weve been spoiled and blessed to have #18 and it angers me that fans are willing to turn their backs on him, especially when the front office finally has a chance to give back to Peyton. A real defense and a few more pieces on offense.

Trade the pick.

Show loyalty to Peyton, he's been loyal to us.

I get what u are saying u make a valid point. You replace Peyton with any other QB in the league and the colts are at best an 8-8 team with no playoffs appearances. This guy has continually done more with this then anybody has ever done in NFL history, sure he had Marvin, Reggie, and Clark, but who's to say these arent a product of Peyton, Marvin only averaged 64 catches a game before Peyton(including Peyton rookies season) showed up. Then 100+ for 4 years after, then Reggie and Clark broke on to the scene. You guys witnessed what he did for tamme, collie, and Blair. On any other teams tamme doesnt see the field Blair is on the practice squad and collie 4th WR. The offensive line has always been a mess, Saturday....that's it. That's not even talking about the defense yet, oh that's why cause we never had one. We had bob for a couple games a year then freeny and Mathis on the out side. IMO weve been spoiled and blessed to have #18 and it angers me that fans are willing to turn their backs on him, especially when the front office finally has a chance to give back to Peyton. A real defense and a few more pieces on offense.

Trade the pick.

Show loyalty to Peyton, he's been loyal to us.

This is the NFL, there is no such thing as being loyal.

I am sorry I know that sounds harsh but it's really the truth. Ask Edge, Marvin Harrison, or Bob Sanders how loyal the Colts are. I am sorry but if they really feel like it's best to move on without him that's what they are going to do because they are in the business of winning not being loyal to Peyton Manning and sacrficing the future for it.

In a prefect world sure Peyton comes back and wins two or three Super Bowls and retires and we have drafted Andrew Luck and he is ready to pick up where Peyton Manning leaves off at. However, very few things in the NFL are perfect. The Colts owe to themselves, the fans, and other players on the team to make sure they are good not only for the rest of the time Peyton is here (if he's here) but also make sure the team doesn't just fall apart when he leaves either.

Look I love Peyton Manning. It feel honored to get to watch him work and pull for him and have him in my city for as long as we have. I've often felt like watching him play football is like watching a master artist work. I would love to get to see him do it again. However, I also understand that sooner or later Peyton Manning isn't going to be here anymore and at some point you have to start thinking about the future without him or we are going to go threw what we just went threw for a long time. I grew up watching them do that in the 80's and early 90's just pleading for a Jim Harbaugh to come along and lead us to a 9-7 record just to say we were in the playoffs. It's much more fun to watch a team like we've had that wins and is a Super Bowl contender year in and year out. So if the Colts have a chance to set themselves up for back-to-back success like that then I am all for it.

With that said it doesn't mean I am not grateful for Peyton Manning. I think just about any football fan has to be and I don't think most of us are turning our backs on him. It's just the people understand that even if Peyton comes back we have him for two to three more years and that's probably it. The time to start thinking about life after him is here and while no one likes doing it you can't just ignore it either. I also think people understand from just a pure football logic stand point it doesn't make sense to bring Peyton Manning back. It's pretty clear everything else about this team is in a rebuilding mood and you are poised to get maybe the next Peyton Manning in Andrew Luck. With that said this isn't going to just be a pure football logic call made by the Colts and should Peyton have to leave I am sure he is going to be welcomed back with open arms anytime he comes back to Indianapolis just like Edge was, Harrison was, and Dungy was even though they all left.

I am sorry I know that sounds harsh but it's really the truth. Ask Edge, Marvin Harrison, or Bob Sanders how loyal the Colts are. I am sorry but if they really feel like it's best to move on without him that's what they are going to do because they are in the business of winning not being loyal to Peyton Manning and sacrficing the future for it.

In a prefect world sure Peyton comes back and wins two or three Super Bowls and retires and we have drafted Andrew Luck and he is ready to pick up where Peyton Manning leaves off at. However, very few things in the NFL are perfect. The Colts owe to themselves, the fans, and other players on the team to make sure they are good not only for the rest of the time Peyton is here (if he's here) but also make sure the team doesn't just fall apart when he leaves either.

Look I love Peyton Manning. It feel honored to get to watch him work and pull for him and have him in my city for as long as we have. I've often felt like watching him play football is like watching a master artist work. I would love to get to see him do it again. However, I also understand that sooner or later Peyton Manning isn't going to be here anymore and at some point you have to start thinking about the future without him or we are going to go threw what we just went threw for a long time. I grew up watching them do that in the 80's and early 90's just pleading for a Jim Harbaugh to come along and lead us to a 9-7 record just to say we were in the playoffs. It's much more fun to watch a team like we've had that wins and is a Super Bowl contender year in and year out. So if the Colts have a chance to set themselves up for back-to-back success like that then I am all for it.

With that said it doesn't mean I am not grateful for Peyton Manning. I think just about any football fan has to be and I don't think most of us are turning our backs on him. It's just the people understand that even if Peyton comes back we have him for two to three more years and that's probably it. The time to start thinking about life after him is here and while no one likes doing it you can't just ignore it either. I also think people understand from just a pure football logic stand point it doesn't make sense to bring Peyton Manning back. It's pretty clear everything else about this team is in a rebuilding mood and you are poised to get maybe the next Peyton Manning in Andrew Luck. With that said this isn't going to just be a pure football logic call made by the Colts and should Peyton have to leave I am sure he is going to be welcomed back with open arms anytime he comes back to Indianapolis just like Edge was, Harrison was, and Dungy was even though they all left.

Peyton giving the colts a deal on his old contract, sounds loyal to me, being on a team full of averages players having to carry them week after week without causing a commotion in the locker room, again sounds loyal to me. Peyton could have thrown a lot of people under the bus, Dungy included. But he never did always took the high road. Pure class, pure loyalty to the organization. Chipper jones and the braves, Yanks and jeter, revera, how about Brady and the pats, and they had a proven back up, but still stuck with Brady. I kno it's rare(very) however loyalty does exist in sports. I hope your not one of the fans that says to the player holding out to get more money, "c'mon man show some loyalty to the team". If Peyton is let go and "forced" out, I won't ever have that view again.

But yes u make good points but see I don't believe Peyton only has 2-3 years left, I understand hes a pocket passer, I understand the last thing to go on a QB is accuracy and the mental part, I understand he's playing in a league that favors the QB, I understand that he's a pro athlete that takes care of his body, I understand he has access to treatments and doctors the average person doesn't have, I understand that he was and is by far the best QB in the NFL. And because of this, if Peyton wants to, I believe he has a lot more football in him. See I loved MJ too and loved the fact that he came back with Washington and played when he was 40. He still averaged over 20 points a game and was better the 3/4 of the NBA then. How? cause we was so much better then everyone else to begin with. And that's a sport thats hard on the knees and everyone know your knees are the first to go. He'll I remember when he was 46 and there was talk about him coming back again, and they said, at 46, he was still better then half the league. But yea I kno its not physical like football. Then I'd just have to say Peyton is a QB in a league where they don't let u hit the QB anymore, or at least not like they used to, which really isn't a concern any way cause Peyton always went down by himself.

So see I believe #18, if he wants, could play for years and years, so drafting a QB now is just to soon.

And of course this is just MHO.

As far as loyalty In the cases of Sanders, Harrison and EJ is concerned......the Colts made each of those guys multi-millionaires and all were paid at/near the top of their positions at the time. Sanders paid more than Polamolu at the time, Harrison highest paid WR at the time, EJ drafted with confidence to replace Faulk and getting at/near record incentive pay for his accomplishments. All three were also injured during their tenure with the Colts.

I'm not going to rehash the tired Bob Sanders circumstances. Anyone can't see the Colts did the right thing and had no other choice is blind.

In EJ's case, the team was patient with him for 1.5+ seasons while he recovered from his knee injury and returned to outstanding form for his last several years as a Colt. Amazing grit. All of it taking place during his 7yr 49M rookie contract, which was honored. He signed a 4yr/30M contract with Arizona after leaving Indy & wound up playing 3 yrs. there....based on his production it's easy to see Arizona paid more than the Colts could but it was still great to see EJ playing ball. One of my all time favorite Colt players, and I think it was exactly correct for Irsay to give him a SB ring even though he wasn't on the roster when we won it.

In Harrison's case, he was never the same after his knee injury. It was hard to watch. There was absolutely no way he could perform at the highest paid WR in the game level, contrary to what Bill Polian's offical public statements were at the time. As it turned out, Harrison asked for his release because his 13M cap hit couldn't be restructured via his agent. Add in the Philly legal circumstances and it spelled the end of his career. Either way, you can't pay a guy elite money to sit without hurting your team (we have plenty of examples in Indy) and Marvin Harrison went a long way to making his own circumstances in Philadelphia. He's also one of my all time favorite Colt players and the team handled him correctly.

So this brings us to the current Manning situation.

As it stands, within about seven weeks (would-be March 8th payday) the Colts have to make a tens-of-millions of dollars decision which would effect the franchise for a number of years. It's a gamble on a 36yo w/three surgeries spanning 18 months. Now....if Manning becomes healthier between March 8th and the start of the 2012 season that's great. Question is will he be a Colt then or not. I'm thinking probably not, but I could be wong. The team has been largely built around Peyton Manning for the better part of a decade and Irsay has paid Manning at the top of his profession.

Jim Irsay has done his part and shown nothing but the highest degree of devotion to his players.....sometimes to a fault and the point of team detriment. Some big decisions are now being made and again, not everyone has the stomach for it or can see these things.

You tell me what loyalty is.

I have to say...some of you are just crazy over the top with this Manning love. He would make any team a Superbowl contender, Silent? These very Colts were barely one last season...and this is a team with loads more talent than a vast majority of other franchises in this league. Tone it down a bit...I know Manning is 'your guy'...but hes not the end all be all of the NFL. Yes, the league suffers overall when its top players are absent...but you know what? The NFL got by just fine, and right now we have two of the more compelling and highly anticipated championship games in recent memory. Theres no doubt that Peyton would add a lot to any team he was on...thats what superstars do...but you grossly overrate his ability to instantly make anyone a contender.

I have to say...some of you are just crazy over the top with this Manning love. He would make any team a Superbowl contender, Silent? These very Colts were barely one last season...and this is a team with loads more talent than a vast majority of other franchises in this league. Tone it down a bit...I know Manning is 'your guy'...but hes not the end all be all of the NFL. Yes, the league suffers overall when its top players are absent...but you know what? The NFL got by just fine, and right now we have two of the more compelling and highly anticipated championship games in recent memory. Theres no doubt that Peyton would add a lot to any team he was on...thats what superstars do...but you grossly overrate his ability to instantly make anyone a contender.

How many games would you have won this season with Painter as your QB?