Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Jackson: Broncos could have kept me, Brock Osweiler and Danny Trevathan for next to nothing

bayone

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm not sure what the Broncos offered, but the were close in bidding on Brock, I bet they were close with Malik, too. Meaning Malik has a warped sense of what 8 digit figures actually mean.

He should be happy he even has an opportunity to play in the NFL. Why do I get the feeling this guy has zero concept of money and is going to be broke once he's retired?

6 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

He should be happy he even has an opportunity to play in the NFL. Why do I get the feeling this guy has zero concept of money and is going to be broke once he's retired?

It would be unfortunate, but it happens all to often. I don't know how I could spend that much, personally.

4 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I believe what he was trying to say is that he would have agreed to a lower offer if the Broncos tried to resign him earlier. Jackson probably had no idea he was worth that much money on the open market. 

If that were true, he has a bone head for an agent that just hit the jackpot.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

If that were true, he has a bone head for an agent that just hit the jackpot.

I mean nobody expected him to get that much. Jacksonville overpaid because they have so much money to spend. Denver signed Wolfe for a fraction of what Jackson got and he's not that much worse of a player. 

40 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I mean nobody expected him to get that much. Jacksonville overpaid because they have so much money to spend. Denver signed Wolfe for a fraction of what Jackson got and he's not that much worse of a player. 

I mean that his agent should know.  These guys know what percentage of the cap a player gets at a particular position depending on how good he is. I mean they may not know ultimately what the final number will be, but they know within a range. If they dont, they aren't worth their weight in gold.

Notice how he didn't explain HOW the Broncos were supposed to be able to afford all three for "next to nothing"...   he offered zero support for that.

The only thing I can think of is if Elway had tried to re-sign them a year ago.   THEN,  their prices would've been much, much lower.  

And yet,  Jackson didn't say that......      I wonder why.....?

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Notice how he didn't explain HOW the Broncos were supposed to be able to afford all three for "next to nothing"...   he offered zero support for that.

The only thing I can think of is if Elway had tried to re-sign them a year ago.   THEN,  their prices would've been much, much lower.  

And yet,  Jackson didn't say that......      I wonder why.....?

I never have figured out why a lot of these guys go to lousy teams just to make a few more million after being on a winning SB team and still making tons of money and then they become no names once they leave their winning teams. This has been going for decades. Here's an example what routinely goes down - Let me see, do I want to make 36 Mill over 4 years = 9 Mill and have a chance to win 3 or 4 SB's and go down as one of the best players ever or make 40 Mill over 4 years = 10 Mill and become an Average unknown player and my teams lose for the rest of my career? Oh I guess I will be a dumb butt and take the extra 1 Mill a year. Players that do that don't even care about Football, they are just about the money. No loyalty anymore. Brock leaving Denver will ruin his career. Watch and see, he will play Average and or get injured. If he had stayed with Denver, his Defense alone would get him in the Playoffs every year. He still would've been overpaid with Denver what is funny, if 15 Mill isn't enough to live on then that person has problems. Why would you leave a team like Denver to go to Houston or Jacks?

30 minutes ago, 19colt said:

I think his point was that Denver could have signed him and others last off season or during the season for far less than their worth post Super Bowl win. 

There is some merit to not paying guys, IMO, and in the contract year, guys mostly step up. Malik Jackson was a rotational player who shined in Wade Philips' defense, he did not break out till the last year. Trevathan, on the other hand, had a knee injury in 2014 shutting him down for the most part, and put doubt in Elway's mind since he had a very good first 2 years. There is a case for extending him earlier.

Brock, once they saw Peyton gimping at the end of 2014 and asked him to take a paycut, that would have been the time to extend him. But then, they'd be over the cap by that point. If I had to prioritize, I'd have extended Brock till 2016, the end of Peyton's contract, to go in sync and then plan for later.