Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chances Indy goes LB round 1

With the recent release of Newsome combined with the age of Indy's current LBs (Mathis, Jackson, Freeman, Walden, Cole are all 30 or above starting next season), What are the chances you think Indy takes a LB early in round 1?

I believe if any of these LBs are available, they have to seriously consider taking them...

Jaylon Smith

Myles Jack

Noah Spence

Shaq Lawson

I'd love to come away with any of those four players in the first. I think Jack will go top 10, and Smith and Spence both are likely top 15 picks. Lawson looks like he'll have a good chance at being available, and I'd really like to take him if none of the other three you mentioned are there. Another two EDGE guys I'd consider are Kevin Dodd and Emmanuel Ogbah.

I think the Colts are likely to go with either an offensive or defensive lineman in round one. I could also see them taking Alexander (CB) if he is available at 18.

I think Smith, Jack, and Spence are all gone by the 18 pick. Lawson is probably available but I don't think he helps the pass rush. I think there will be offensive and defensive linemen prospects available at 18 who are better than Lawson or the other likely first round linebackers available at 18.

I'm not getting too set on anything at this point.... Because I get a feeling that we're probably gonna end up drafting way different than what alot of people are expecting or hoping for. Like us taking guy like in the first who isn't projected or thought to be a first round pick by most but we end up taking him or something like that. I'm just expecting us to go completely opposite of what most of us are thinking or feeling...not so much position wise but as far as what players we might take at hose positions.

We should definitely draft a EDGE rusher. I'll go as far as to say Noah Spence or bust. Why? Because he's the best pass rusher in this class and he's exactly what we need. A Khalil Mack type pass rusher. I'm all for getting him by any means necessary. Trade up or whatever.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We should definitely draft a EDGE rusher. I'll go as far as to say Noah Spence or bust. Why? Because he's the best pass rusher in this class and he's exactly what we need. A Khalil Mack type pass rusher. I'm all for getting him by any means necessary. Trade up or whatever.

I personally don't think there is a Khalil Mack type of pass rusher in this draft. I believe edge rusher is one of the weakest positions in this draft class. Now I do like Spence, and I think he is the best in this draft class, but his off the field concerns are going to hurt him more than what people think IMO. I personally think that with the recent off the field issues that the league has been experiencing lately that it will make them hesitant to draft him in the early 1st.

5 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I personally don't think there is a Khalil Mack type of pass rusher in this draft. I believe edge rusher is one of the weakest positions in this draft class. Now I do like Spence, and I think he is the best in this draft class, but his off the field concerns are going to hurt him more than what people think IMO. I personally think that with the recent off the field issues that the league has been experiencing lately that it will make them hesitant to draft him in the early 1st.

Any Edge rusher we get is basically going to be a project. The most Day 1 ready guy after him is Spence and but his character issues have probably gotten him moved off the Colts board.

so you're left with guys like Floyd, Lawson, Fackrell, Jenkins, Ngakoue, Correa, Ogbah, etc...

Miles Jack will not make it within a few picks of us. Jaylon Smith might be but I'm wary of taking him. I think Noah Spence is a guy we have to take if he's available. I think he is gone before we draft though. I think Leonard Floyd is a top choice over Shaq Lawson. Floyd seems like the better rusher in the nfl while Lawson seems to be a better edge setter. And we need a pass rush first and foremost. I also think it would not be a bad idea to grab another rusher in this draft. 

Play your BPA board. If your gonna stretch do it in the 3,4,5th rounds. Plenty of potential pass rushers there.

Alex McCalister - Florida

Yannick Nagkoue - Maryland

Dadi Nichols - Virginia Tech

Victor Ochi - Stoney Brook

Ronald Blair - Appalachain St.

very good 2nd rounders might drop to 3rd

Emanual Ogbah - OKC

Shaquille Calhoun - Mich. St

Shaq Lawson has more value in a 4-3 scheme imo. Myles Jack won't fall near us unless his medicals turn up really bad, in which case how bad do we want him? Jaylon Smith or Noah Spence? Possibly. Not sure if either of them would be there either, and what our staff thinks about the players. 

Watch the combine results closely. Pass rusher is a position where a good combine actually does matter.

I would love Spence in the 1st round, but he won't be there.  Beyond that, I see no  available1st round OLBs with the pass rush ability I would want.  Ideally, Rush OLB would be my position, but the guy won't be there.  I smell CB in Round 1...

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Any Edge rusher we get is basically going to be a project. The most Day 1 ready guy after him is Spence and but his character issues have probably gotten him moved off the Colts board.

so you're left with guys like Floyd, Lawson, Fackrell, Jenkins, Ngakoue, Correa, Ogbah, etc...

Of the above listed names do you see one as a can't miss pick at 18? Lawson is really the only one that appeals to me where we are drafting at. Floyd and Ogbah might be options if we trade down a little ways.

11 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Of the above listed names do you see one as a can't miss pick at 18? Lawson is really the only one that appeals to me where we are drafting at. Floyd and Ogbah might be options if we trade down a little ways.

I don't see any can't miss guy. Even Lawson.  Maybe if Floyd shows up with good weight on. But outside of Bosa, that's it. Ogbah looks like he'll be out of place in a 3-4. 

a lot of people are saying we wont draft spence because of his off field issues, this i believe would be a mistake, you have to take a chance on the best edge rusher in the draft when its your teams biggest need, but as many have stated someone before us will likely take a chance on him, a lot i believe solely due to  the impact edge rushers have had this past year (see broncos). In this pass happy league its becoming quite evident if you cant get to the QB they will shred your D

15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

With the recent release of Newsome combined with the age of Indy's current LBs (Mathis, Jackson, Freeman, Walden, Cole are all 30 or above starting next season), What are the chances you think Indy takes a LB early in round 1?

I believe if any of these LBs are available, they have to seriously consider taking them...

Jaylon Smith

Myles Jack

Noah Spence

Shaq Lawson

It is 38% likely.

I'd say better than 50% but there are a couple D Linemen I'd get at 18 and a couple more I'd trade down for and collect picks. Overall though at 18 if we stand pat and trust the scouting department and Grigsons board I think we can land a game wrecker. I'm going to be prioritizing draft picks by round I want soon. Maybe when I get back from the doctor today

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think this is most likely, if we pick in round 2 I want to see someone like Floyd, Fackrell, maybe Ngakoue or Correa depending on how they test this weekend (edge rusher is a position where I'll actually put some stock into the combine). But what I hope is that we can identify which one of them is the best, and also maybe add a second edge rusher in the mid rounds too. Reaching on a round 1 pick would be unwise, and I'm expecting less and less that there will be a can't miss edge rusher who fits our scheme on the board that is worth the 18th pick. 

11 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I think this is most likely, if we pick in round 2 I want to see someone like Floyd, Fackrell, maybe Ngakoue or Correa depending on how they test this weekend (edge rusher is a position where I'll actually put some stock into the combine). But what I hope is that we can identify which one of them is the best, and also maybe add a second edge rusher in the mid rounds too. Reaching on a round 1 pick would be unwise, and I'm expecting less and less that there will be a can't miss edge rusher who fits our scheme on the board that is worth the 18th pick. 

I feel it's more likely the Edge rushers will come from the middle rounds. The earliest would be a guy like Calhoun in the 2nd.