Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jemel Singleton new colts RB coach

RockThatBlue

The highly regarded Singleton replaces former Colts running backs coach Charlie Williams, who was fired last month after a season at the position.

In Singleton’s lone campaign with Arkansas this past year, he helped running back Alex Collins rush for 1,577 yards with 20 touchdowns on 271 carries, all career highs. That was enough for Collins to forego his senior season last month and enter the NFL draft.

Prior to Arkansas, the 40-year-old Singleton was Oklahoma State’s running backs coach for four seasons. Under him, Cowboys running backs didn’t commit a single turnover in 2014. He helped the program rush for 35 touchdowns in ’13, 15th-best in the FBS. Singleton also tutored former Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle, who earned All-Big 12 first-team honors in 2011 and ’12.

Before Oklahoma State, Singleton was Air Force’s running backs coach from 2006–10. He was also the Falcons’ run game coordinator for his last four seasons with the program, campaigns in which Air Force led the Mountain West in rushing and was among the top 10 in the FBS. He was a varsity assistant at the academy from ’03–05.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/05/jemal-singleton-indianapolis-colts-running-backs-coach

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

The highly regarded Singleton replaces former Colts running backs coach Charlie Williams, who was fired last month after a season at the position.

In Singleton’s lone campaign with Arkansas this past year, he helped running back Alex Collins rush for 1,577 yards with 20 touchdowns on 271 carries, all career highs. That was enough for Collins to forego his senior season last month and enter the NFL draft.

Prior to Arkansas, the 40-year-old Singleton was Oklahoma State’s running backs coach for four seasons. Under him, Cowboys running backs didn’t commit a single turnover in 2014. He helped the program rush for 35 touchdowns in ’13, 15th-best in the FBS. Singleton also tutored former Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle, who earned All-Big 12 first-team honors in 2011 and ’12.

Before Oklahoma State, Singleton was Air Force’s running backs coach from 2006–10. He was also the Falcons’ run game coordinator for his last four seasons with the program, campaigns in which Air Force led the Mountain West in rushing and was among the top 10 in the FBS. He was a varsity assistant at the academy from ’03–05.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/05/jemal-singleton-indianapolis-colts-running-backs-coach

For someone who doesn't know who he is, you sure know a lot. Are you Mike Silver and gave him a phone call and had lunch together?

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Does this mean there could possibly, and I mean in the slightest, be a connection between him and the Colts  looking at Alex Collins?

I immediately went to go watch Alex Collins games. He's pretty good, not going to be a high pick, I don't think, and not a change of pace back either. Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I immediately went to go watch Alex Collins games. He's pretty good, not going to be a high pick, I don't think, and not a change of pace back either. Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch.

He'll be a round 2-3 guy in my opinion...

If you can, go watch his bowl game against KState. He shows off a little bit of everthing.

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

Sounds like RBs did pretty well under him in college.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Man I really hope we can get Collins in the 3rd. How crazy would it be if we got Collins in the 3rd and Williams in the 4th? It wouldn't surprise me if we took 2 backs this year.

2 backs this year would be a bit much... I would love to have Collins though.

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Man I really hope we can get Collins in the 3rd. How crazy would it be if we got Collins in the 3rd and Williams in the 4th? It wouldn't surprise me if we took 2 backs this year.

It would surprise the Hell out of me given the fact that we have so many other needs Like OL for one, why would we waste two mid picks on a RB? The RB position isnt what it used to be i wouldn't pick up a guy at 3 or 4.

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

It would surprise the Hell out of me given the fact that we have so many other needs Like OL for one, why would we waste two mid picks on a RB? The RB position isnt what it used to be i wouldn't pick up a guy at 3 or 4.

Since Gore is coming back there's no way 2 are drafted. If 2 are drafted that probably means Gore isn't coming back.

His strength is getting his backs to protect the football. Collins' fumbles went down by a good margin this past year after it being a problem for him before. He was only at Arkansas for a year though so not much of a sample size for me to comment on lol.

Interesting that Bielema's last 4 RB coaches are all in the NFL now. Other than Collins, Singleton also has a connection to Jonathan Williams in the draft but obviously didn't get to coach him since he was injured all year. I know some people liked him better than Collins before the injury.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Is that what you meant to write,  or is that a typo....

My hunch is he doesn't get out of the 3rd round......    a Day 2 guy...   top-100.

Maybe we just have a different definition of "not going to be a high pick"...??

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is that what you meant to write,  or is that a typo....

My hunch is he doesn't get out of the 3rd round......    a Day 2 guy...   top-100.

Maybe we just have a different definition of "not going to be a high pick"...??

Third round seems about right. I guess that can qualify as a high pick.

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

For someone who doesn't know who he is, you sure know a lot. Are you Mike Silver and gave him a phone call and had lunch together?

That's why I like krunk: He always takes the initiative, posts good excerpts, & I always feel smarter when I read his insights & breakdowns on players & new hires. Plus, whenever krunk writes anything online, he never comes across as an all knowing genius. He composes his thoughts in an easy to digest fashion. Nice work krunk! Great stuff as always.

You'd be amazed at the reporters who love to confuse their readers & convey a superior intellect in everything they say or do. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Why Arkansas has the most complete run game in college football

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-complete-run-game-college-football/

It's a good thing that HC Bret Bielema has such tremendous blocking talent & RB talent at Arkansas because the #1 knock against him at UW-Madison was his failure to never know when to take a time out on the sidelines. His clock management skills were just atrocious. When you have solid talent on the ground, you can get a pass on adjustment liabilities. 

I don't watch a ton of Razorbacks ball so I can't say with any great deal of authority whether Bret has improved in the timeout area or not. 

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

He's got return skills too, which I was impressed with.

I got distracted and had to come back to him, but I just saw a return. By the end of 2015, he seemed a little big and boxy, more of a bruiser than a shaker, but still showed some wiggle. Maybe he was hurt, or just worn down from his 2,000 yard season. I've been watching whatever I can find on him, even opponent stuff, because he only has three cut-ups on draftbreakdown.com right now.

I compared him to Lynch earlier, but now I'm thinking he has some Le'Veon Bell to him. It's a very unconventional running style -- too upright, a little hesitant approaching the line, etc. -- but it works for him, just like it works for Bell in the NFL. I don't know if Collins has the burst to still get to the second level in the pros, but in 2014, he looked faster than in 2015, showing a 6th gear. 

If I'm right and he was heavy and/or hurt by that K-State bowl game, and he's in better shape for the Combine, he might turn some heads. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

It's a good thing that HC Bret Bielema has such tremendous blocking talent & RB talent at Arkansas because the #1 knock against him at UW-Madison was his failure to never know when to take a time out on the sidelines. His clock management skills were just atrocious. When you have solid talent on the ground, you can get a pass on adjustment liabilities. 

I don't watch a ton of Razorbacks ball so I can't say with any great deal of authority whether Bret has improved in the timeout area or not. 

I don't watch much of the Razor Pigs either S Dub One!  I always found them to be a boring team to watch personally.  I remember both of my High School coaches at Tucker High School in Atlanta, Georgia were both from Arkansas and they both loved the Razor Pigs.  We had a mean ground game featuring Patrick Pass as our tailback.  Those were fun times!

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Arkansas had the biggest linemen in the country as a unit.  I think one of them is a 1st/2nd rounder.  

For what little it may be worth to you....

Arkansas has two huge guards in the draft this year.    Neither have a high grade.

ESPN has one with a 4th round grade,  the other with a 6th round grade.

They have three high level kids to be drafted.

Henry,  the TE is a late 1st or early 2nd round guy.

And their two running backs appear to be 2nd/3rd round guys.

Not saying they don't have other draftable guys,  but that's all I've found on several websites.....

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you think Grigson would change his board because of a RB coach? Does the influence go that deep in the circle of few who makes those choices?

I think Grigson listens to the evaluations of his staff along with his own scouting expertise. If your plans are to pick up a running back and you are placing grades I think having a coach from that players school on your staff helps you place a very realistic grade on that player.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you think Grigson would change his board because of a RB coach? Does the influence go that deep in the circle of few who makes those choices?

Think back also to what the asset of having Pep Hamilton may have led to us selecting Henry Anderson, David Parry, Fleener, and some of the other Stanford guys that have been on the team. OC is a little bigger title, but overall it boils down to a coach having experience with coaching a certain player in the past.  I believe if you have 4 backs that you are thinking about drafting and it's neck and neck I think you go with the player you've had previous history with if you're comfortable with the history.  Collins looks like a good back although my preference is to pick up Lamar Miller in FA so we can use that pick on a Defensive Player or Offensive Lineman.  

Collins kind of reminds me of Matt Jones from the Redskins.  He seems like the bruiser between the tackles kind of guy in the RBBC.  I think the other back Williams from Arkansas is what we would need to team with Gore if we chose to select a back though.

That Jonathan Williams to me is an every down back to be honest.  In some ways he reminds me of Edgerrin James with a little more burst.  And oddly enough he wears the same number.  Of the 2 Arkansas backs Williams is the guy I would be targeting if I wanted to select a back from that school.  I think he'd go good with Gore.  Add Varga or maybe even Robinson to that mix and I think we have a solid trio.