Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tennessee Titans hire Mike Mularkey as head coach

SkyBane

Okay so seriously, does Tennessee WANT to be the next Jaguars now that Jacksonville is looking less trash? I mean, they even hired the guy who got fired after one year in Jacksonville. Some history for Mularkey as head coach:

Buffalo- 2004, 9-7 record, No post season appearance

2005, 5-11 record, No post season appearance, fired

Total record at Buffalo: 14-18

Jacksonville- 2012, 2-14, fired

Tenessee- 2-7 as interim, signed to full time head coach.

This guy has a lifetime head coaching record of 18-39. Let me do that math for you. In 3.5 seasons as a head coach, this man has wracked up nearly 40 losses. As a head coach, he averages more than 10 losses a season.

I don't know, maybe he turns this around. Maybe this is the stop with Mariotta as his QB. You still have to question why. Why take this chance on a guy who has never had real success, and is known for coaching teams that are veritable laughing stocks.

6 minutes ago, MTC said:

See who the Titans hire as offensive and defensive coordinator before making judgement.

Sorry, but when your head coach has a lifetime win rate of .316, you don't need to wait to judge. This was a terrible hire.

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

A real head scratcher this, probably one of the more surprising moves thus far. I think every man and his dog expected him to be gone, with Mariota and a #1 pick to boot you think they would have been able to attract much better candidates. 

Clearly, something happened during THAT interview. I'm with you. A head-scratcher. 

On 1/17/2016 at 11:26 AM, SkyBane said:

Sorry, but when your head coach has a lifetime win rate of .316, you don't need to wait to judge. This was a terrible hire.

I agree. This hire is puzzling. Why fire Whisenhunt and retain Mularkey who has had no success as a head coach? How many coaches get 3 head coaching opportunies! I cannot think of many. 

On 1/17/2016 at 10:10 AM, SteelCityColt said:

A real head scratcher this, probably one of the more surprising moves thus far. I think every man and his dog expected him to be gone, with Mariota and a #1 pick to boot you think they would have been able to attract much better candidates. 

What do you think about the Doug Pederson hire in Philly? It does not seem like the Eagles fans are too excited about their new head coach. Frank Reich will be the OC.

More info during his introductory today: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624976/article/mularkey-preaches-fresh-start-for-wayward-titans

Highlights:

-Only 4 coaches were interviewed by the owner, a few of which after she had already made her mind up on Mularkey.

-The commissioner has concerns with the Titan's ownership structure, and is making inquiries in to how things are run

-Mularkey expects defensive aide Dick LeBeau to return in some capacity, actual defensive coordinator Ray Horton is still in limbo. Mularkey said he discussed the situation with Horton, acknowledging Horton's departure was "part of the conversation" (Hot take opinion: Horton is * and threatened to quit)

-President and CEO Steve Underwood refused to acknowledge fan dissatisfaction with the hire. "I'm not really sure how they can be uncomfortable with either of the processes (for coach or GM)... I'm not really sure what (fan) discomfort level you're talking about."  

-When asked how they would approach developing Marcus Marriota, Mularkey responded perfectly imo:

"I've had experience with young guys, but I don't know if (I'm) ... a horse whisperer." 

Flawless.